Reworking RoO and the Libero Defence

My god its frustrating. Nearly every game is dominated by my Chelsea side usually around 60% possession and a ridiculous number of attempts on goal. Fine - score a few goals. But they wont stop conceding especially when the other team only has a couple of chances. I just drew 3-3 with wolves had 62% possession 22 shots 14 on target - they had 6 and five on target. Not the first time this season its happened and a slightly tweaked version had the same effect with Milan. Chelseas usually rock solid defence is being made to look idiotic. There must be something im missing here....

4-4-2 Control is an awsome Man Utd tactic, just tried it for my Man Utd team and it provided the football I have been looking for over recent matches. The free role for Ferdinand and the mentalities for the centre backs are genius.

Tactics like these really help people like me get an understanding of the games settings, I look forward to tweaking it and seeing Rooney and Ronaldo on the scoresheet more often. Cheers.

Great thinking! I've been thinking about the whole libero position for a while (Ferdinand/Agger etc) and only came anywhere near simply by fluke i think using something close to Brazil 02's formation. Anyway...its always good to read peoples methods. I think i'll play around with the shape...again, well thought out mate.

My god its frustrating. Nearly every game is dominated by my Chelsea side usually around 60% possession and a ridiculous number of attempts on goal. Fine - score a few goals. But they wont stop conceding especially when the other team only has a couple of chances. I just drew 3-3 with wolves had 62% possession 22 shots 14 on target - they had 6 and five on target. Not the first time this season its happened and a slightly tweaked version had the same effect with Milan. Chelseas usually rock solid defence is being made to look idiotic. There must be something im missing here....

Yes, a Libero. Chelsea's rock solid defence is built around strong, highly organised centrebacks the act almost like a brick wall with physically imposing central midfield ball winners. The Libero defence in this thread is almost the antithesis of this, with a quick intelligent centreback used to cover and intercept threats that by-pass a hardworking ball winning defensive line.

When the thread creator states "think Rio Ferdinand" he means think Rio Ferdinand. Think deep fast cover intercepting missed headers and through balls 20 yards from goal, or standing off an opponent and passing him on to the next defender and covering the space on the 18 yard line, think near post interceptions and arguements with van der Saar. If the Libero or DCa lacks pace, positioning or intelligence then he will be caught out of position and your defence will collapse. The praise for Rio Ferdinand last season was because he is perfect for this position and played it brilliantly.

After half the league season here are my results, you can all judge for yourself

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/Nerazzurri07/FM%20various/Rangers/RangersRangers_Fixtures.png

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/Nerazzurri07/FM%20various/Rangers/RangersRangers_Fixtures-2.png

Personally I'm happy and I'll keep going with this set.

For reference, I'm using the ADDM update with the Old Firm in the EPL. First 11 are - Pletikosa, Papac/Smith, De Merit, Ignasevich, Jiranek, Thomson, Adam, Ferguson, Burke, Lafferty and Kerzhakov.

• 2 weeks later...

I am stunned with this tactic set. I used a version of a 4-4-2 tactic so in essence my team had a season to gel prior to having a go with this tactic set............the performances with this are superb.

My tactic from the previous season when I won the league had been well and truly countered by the opposing teams setting up barracades against me and after 3 league games of the new season I found myself without a win. Implemented this and by actually watching the events unfold (I admit I am guilty of expecting to just plug and play any old tactic) and switching between the various versions I am sitting at the top the league. 10 straight wins, very few goals conceded and a comfortable passage into the Champs League Group Stage.

Its early days but hats off the Jaswarbrick.

i'll give it a go as well this evening, using the first post to tweak the ones i've designed and which might be getting on a bit.

I'm in fourth season with Nottm Forest and while i'm in 7th place (which is not bad considering) I feel my players could do better.

One thing that frustrates me is scoring a goal or 2 and then the opposition just strolling in my half of the field, full of renewed enthusiasm on their way to either an outstanding victory or a well earned draw... I can counter the 424 but the problem is that by the time I see the change in tactics being advertised, change my own tactics accordingly and then wait for it to take effect, the opposition has usually scored 1 back.

very good and interesting thread by the way!

I'm wondering if a setup like this would work for a 4-4-2:

Take 1 CB, 1 MC, and 1 FC, and set their mentality to ultra-defensive. Take the other CB, MC, and FC, and set their mentality to ultra-attacking. The wide players will play at the team mentality, with increased freedom, free roles, and possibly even position swapping for progressively more attacking styles.

Archived