Talking to players when they don't want to sign?

What's the point? Does it ever work?

Playing as man Utd I've tried to sign pogba and muller. Neither of them would let me offer a contract and so I tried all the different combinations of what you can say to them to see if I could persuade them.... But nothing...

Am I doing something wrong?

It's not supposed to always 'work'. You're trying to convince a player who doesn't want to join. Convincing those players should be rare. It'll depend on how much he doesn't want to join and obviously what you say to him. I've promised captaincy to a player where he accepted and another I promised trophies and he accepted as well, so it does 'work'.

Never have succeeded, however the conversations end up bizarre.

tried to sign Hummels, who didn't want to play in England

offered him captaincy - already captain

offered him trophies - he doesn't think I could win trophies

that's that...

he wants to leave to play Champions league football... and I won that.

Generally find it works a lot more for youngsters or at least those who aren't yet well established.

Telling them they could be a legend at the club works pretty regularly.

For class players, it's a lot harder and I've had many rejections. Only offered the captaincy twice and on both occasions the player said it would be unfair on my current captain, or words to that effect, and made no improvement in my chances of signing him.

I've never had it work.

However, the worst part is that when the conversation ends the player sometimes says something like "I'm just not interested, it would take an amazing offer to convince me". And I'm willing to give them the "amazing offer", but it wont let me.

Aye, it should be rare to work, really.

The one that annoys me, is when they say they don't believe you can challenge for cups. Only won the league last season, top three this, in the cup semis and the knock out rounds in Europe. Definitely challenging for silverware.....

I did get a lad with it last night, telling them that I wanted them to be part of our attempt to land European football.

I've had it work a few times, usually for young players by telling them they could have a great career and become a legend.

I find it most annoying when "I like the sound of that!" is followed up by a demand for five times the average wage at the club though, especially when he promptly signs for someone else for much less.

Archived