Euro 2016 FINAL - Portugal vs France

gillsminnow

PandoraBox, Fernando Santos, is extremely famous and loved here in Greece. Especially tonight after that triumph. How is he regarded in Portugal? How is he regarded compared to other coaches like Jose Murinho? Finally what are the chances that a potential future defeat will turn the reception against him?

He's quite under valuated, obviously will be on our history books, but i doubt any of the top 3 teams would consider him to be their manager at this moment (he has failed at Benfica and Sporting and somewhat successful at porto).

Even though he's european champion, a potential future defeat will soon turn the Population against him. We aren't like the English, we have 0 tolerance for failure, especially if it is failure and bad football. Imagine if he doesn't win the upcoming couple of official matches, his place will be at stake.

Mourinho (and Jorge Jesus) is other league when compared to other Portuguese managers. Fernando Santos still a nobody close to him.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or did Portugal played a hell lot better without Ronaldo?

Portugal was bad with Ronaldo in, and with sachez and nani changing positions, quaresma being better, and whole squad playing without the ill-influence of looking to pass to their superstar helped them.

It's not a huge shock we were better without Ronaldo, he's kind of an alien body within the team, we have a new generation of midfielders capable of playing quality possession football, in a highly collective, cohesive style of play, but this doesn't suit Ronaldo who's selfish and somewhat needs direct football. Ronaldo is too good to be ignored but we have previously dazzled without him (the friendly vs Estonia right before the Euros in which we beat them like 7-0 or 7-1, can't recall the exact score).

PandoraBox, Fernando Santos, is extremely famous and loved here in Greece. Especially tonight after that triumph. How is he regarded in Portugal? How is he regarded compared to other coaches like Jose Murinho? Finally what are the chances that a potential future defeat will turn the reception against him?

Like Pandora said, he flopped in all the big 3 clubs, so he's always going to be seen with some suspicion. Yet, he's just achieved the biggest triumph of all in all of Portugal's footballing history. I suspect today has risen him to a new status of a footballing guru that he didn't have yet and might even be a little disproportional given how ridiculously lucky we were in this tournament.

farce format.

team wins 1 game in 90- minutes.. really

Albania won 1 game in the groups and didn't go through :lol:

How old are you? Those are the rules for international tournaments since like forever. 90min wins are not required to determine the winner.

I guess you will like NHL with play-off rules. Though, they have overtimes as well... NBA is even better for you.

After watching the finals outside with a few mates, slept on it, then viewed this thread, I'm actually surprised you lot thought that was a boring match. Does every 0-0 in 90 minutes constitute as boring? Because everyone in the place we watched it was very entertained by that final.

The funniest thing was when Eder came on for Sanches, every single person in the room laughed so hard. When he scored, everyone laughed even harder and cheered everytime Eder came on the screen. And now he's probably the most popular player in Portugal :D

Hope this doesn't bump up the prices of Portuguese players, we need Carvalhal to find some more gems this summer!

It wasn't long before Eder's goal that I was bemoaning Portugal's decision to take him over Lucas Joao :D

I thought it was a very deserved win for Portugal. I even had the feeling that if Ronaldo would have been on the pitch they would have won it in 90 minutes. Maybe not the most beautiful and attacking football, but who cares. In football that (at least to me) not a prerequisite. Portugal played as a team, were defensively very strong. I could not count more than two, maybe three good chances for France. I also felt the Portuguese controlled the midfield, maybe France had a few powerhouses there with players like Matuidi and Sissoko, but to be honest I thought someone like William Carvalho had a much bigger influence. Incredible that guy still plays for Sporting :o

Congratulations to all the Portuguese here! :)

sod the french, how much luck did they want with their extra rest days for the knockout games? would rather see a smug ronaldo and some football crazy fans celebrate an underdog victory than an entire smug nation behaving as if they didn't need to break a sweat. Portugal may well be pretty average and completely unlikeable but people are forgetting how unlikeable the french have been in almost their entire footballing existence.

sod the french' date=' how much luck did they want with their extra rest days for the knockout games? would rather see a smug ronaldo and some football crazy fans celebrate an underdog victory than an entire smug nation behaving as if they didn't need to break a sweat. Portugal may well be pretty average and completely unlikeable but people are forgetting how unlikeable the french have been in almost their entire footballing existence.[/quote']

France actually had a day less rest than Portugal for the final.

Say what you want about Raymond Verheijen, but he's right about this. Have to stop teams getting an advantage through being in the top half of the bracket.

Don't really think it made much difference (I think France would always struggle to an extent to lift themselves again after such a big result) but the obvious thing to do would be to play the semi finals at the weekend (could do them on the same day then without affecting the TV viewing figures) and then have the final on the following Wednesday night.

Then went until the CL this season when Sid declares another team doing the exact same thing lucky and not deserving
no I said they were lucky since Ramos goal in the final was offside. Eder's goal certainly was not offside, no luck to it.

That's not surprising at all because they were the only academy in Portugal until 2005, which means the players from their academy are now on their prime.

For example Benfica have like 70-80% of the u16-u20 international players by now, and many of the coming players are from there (Andre Gomes, Renato Sanches, Bernardo Silva, João Cancelo, Ivan Cavaleiro, Gonçalo Guedes, Marcos Lopes, Danilo Pereira etc)

Only now found out who won the tournament. I had turned off.

They really ought to start making all premiership games 90 mins add extra time, see if the teams that draw all the time might be true winners of the premier league. :D

A fitting tribute when another Black Pearl decided the final :D

Fantastic reception for the guys. The whole country must be well chuffed now :)

It's almost like a national holiday, i'm all burned out from the sun, just from waiting for them and then celebrating :lol: 34º degrees

Archived