Semi Final 2 - Germany vs France

darren1983

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manuel FLAPuer. Griezmann made him look like a right mug for his second goal. Thought France deserved that victory.

When was the last time Germany failed to qualify for a semi-final? 2004? Incredible record.

Griezmann :cool: Who was it who said France didn't have any top class forwards?

He looks a right ***** doing it. Feel for the Germans.

Yeah it's an awful celebration :thdn: Pretty sure he devised it with Koke, as they both do it together anytime either of them score.

Pre-Match wanted France to win. End of first half wanted Germany to win. Then middle of second half, you just love both sides. Germany with their never say die. France with their strong resolute defence.

I think another day Germany might have won.

That's it

What to say? Played brilliant 1st half, but didn't really have a plan in the 2nd. You could blame it on the injuries etc, but that's just part of the game. France played well, but wasn't out of this world or so.

IMO it was the wrong tactical disposition from Löw- better give a chance to Weigl then to a Schweinsteiger out of form (and I'm not talking about the penalty here) and generally it seems like he has become to much trusting of his "favourites". Still can't understand why Julian Brandt wasn't selected...

We haven't beaten France in a long time and got knocked out by them a couple of times...

It might be your time.

I honestly haven't seen France playing much better than Italy tonight, yet they won.

Edit: it's really annoying to see France copy/pasting that beautiful cheering between icelander players&fan. It's pathetic. I'm sorry for the french people here but that chant is not yours.

Go Iceland!

Portugal are doing a Greece, who beat the hosts in the final, which was funnily enough Portugal.

They sent their man to Greece so he can study the ancient ways of Greek defensive falanga formations.

Now he came back and is fully prepared to make a dejavu against the hosts.

Griezmann's mother is Portuguese and his grand father was a famous Paços de Ferreira player. The Portuguese federation tried to call him when he was younger, but France was faster. Such a shame. Robert Pires part 2. (Actually there was also Reynald Pedros and Corentin Martins)

If he was representing any team other than France it would have been Spain anyway, has said he feels more Spanish than French on a few occasions.

Based on what his family say, he considered playing for Portugal after his suspension from the French NTs in 2012. That's when he filled papers and got the Portuguese Nationality. The Portuguese FA approached him 7 years ago.

all here

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/reportagem/benfica-at-madrid/a-heranca-portuguesa-de-griezmann-antoine-lopes-griezmann

I thought it was a very soft penalty last night, but I felt that France fully deserved their win. I thought that they were the better team overall. The problem for Germany was that they just didn't have a striker, so just weren't able to capitalise on any chances they created.

Germany had a lot of possession, but I just think, without a striker It was never going to happen for them.

France weren't really better finishers. They got a lucky penalty and the 2nd goal was just a shambles.

Germany's all round play was quite a way better.

If by lucky penalty you mean completely stupid of the German to give it away then yeah fair enough

I find it very comforting that even great teams like Germany have these rubbish players like Schweinsteiger in their squad and getting regular gametime, despite everyone except the manager knowing they'll have zero impact on the game. It's like Brazil WC 2014's Fred.

I thought it was a very soft penalty last night, but I felt that France fully deserved their win. I thought that they were the better team overall. The problem for Germany was that they just didn't have a striker, so just weren't able to capitalise on any chances they created.

Germany had a lot of possession, but I just think, without a striker It was never going to happen for them.

Well, I'd agree that a team "deserves" to win if they score two and their opponent can't finish even once. I do not think that France were the better team overall, far from it. I think that's the first time I saw anybody claiming so. They played well the first ten minutes, that was it. Germany was clearly "better", but still can lose to a team at that level. That's why we all love the game, isn't it.

Well, I'd agree that a team "deserves" to win if they score two and their opponent can't finish even once. I do not think that France were the better team overall, far from it. I think that's the first time I saw anybody claiming so. They played well the first ten minutes, that was it. Germany was clearly "better", but still can lose to a team at that level. That's why we all love the game, isn't it.

You're right it's all about opinions and we've all got different views on the way football should be played. That's one reason it's such a good game! The reason I thought France were the better team was because they did so much more with the ball, when they had it. Germany had most of the possession, but without a goalscorer to finish the chances, does that really matter? Personally, I think 'possession' is well over-rated (probably because i'm English lol). I can't see the point of making 15 passes when you can do 3 and that leads to a chance. I feel that Germany really played into France's hands last night because the French team must have known that Germany haven't got the players to score goals. So they sat back and hit them on the break. I thought Griezmann was first class, and really stood out. In my opinion Giroud was very good too. I just didn't see anyone like that in the German side, and thought they were the difference really.

He made one save at the start of the match but couldn't make any more as the other 2 ended up in goals. France were far better than Germany on the night. The posession stat is more useless than the number of throw ins stat.

Yeah, I'm not bitter, but I just didn't see the game that way at all. I'd agree that possession is overrated and that sitting back and counter attacking is a valid strategy, but France is no Atlético. They were absolutely terrible when they did have the ball (excluding the first ten minutes). They didn't hit Germany on the break, because they immediately lost the ball with inaccurate passes.

Archived