Wales to celebrate with open top bus parade around Cardiff

Barry Cartman

iirc England had one in after the 1990 World Cup, my question is do they have the parade in Wales or in the England as that's where the squad learnt their trade ? ;)

Why's it odd? Have you not read the Wales euro thread? A lot of people have been saying it's the best time of their lives. Well justified imo. A chance for the public to say thanks to their heroes.

It's WALES, Barry. Come oooon.

It's like Dagenham and Redbridge getting into the semi final of the FA cup. When they get back to Dagenham, you can be darn sure they're going to return as heroes and have a big party.

How's it odd? Celebrating the best ever achievement by the football side. People coming out to show their appreciation. Iceland, Northern Ireland etc all done the same and didn't get as far as us.

Only odd in the sense that open top bus parade is usually associated with parading a trophy about, I get what a huge achievement it is and that it should be celebrated

With good reason when the highest paid manager at the tournament is being out mastered by a dentist

Aye, the narrative doesn't really work when you add in the extremely experienced Lars Lagerback, so totally correct to leave him out.

Aye, the narrative doesn't really work when you add in the extremely experienced Lars Lagerback, so totally correct to leave him out.

The narrative still works fine thanks

Overpaid useless manager gets out mastered by lesser known much better one

It's WALES, Barry. Come oooon.

It's like Dagenham and Redbridge getting into the semi final of the FA cup. When they get back to Dagenham, you can be darn sure they're going to return as heroes and have a big party.

It would be like Dagenham and Redbridge getting to the FA Cup semi final with the most expensive footballer in the history of football, one of the best midfielders in Europe AND many experienced Premier League players.

The narrative still works fine thanks

Overpaid useless manager gets out mastered by lesser known much better one

Or, more accurately, out-mastered by the joint team containing a fairly inexperienced manager (did you know he was a dentist? Don't think it was mentioned) and a very, very experienced manager who mentioned and credited Hodgson as part of his success.

But like I said, doesn't fit the narrative for the witch-hunt quite as well.

Anyway, Wales on a bus. Good for them

I wish Scotland had gone for Lagerback when we had the chance :(

might not have had Iceland success but at least he might have got us to a major tournament

might not have had Iceland success but at least he might have got us to a major tournament

If Scotland ever get to another major tournament I think we should have an open top bus parade before they even go!!

If Scotland ever get to another major tournament I think we should have an open top bus parade before they even go!!

we already did that before in 1978, didn't really work out ;)

Which time? The time when he said he wanted the job and we went for Craig "I'm putting Ian Black on" Levein, or the time he said he wanted the job and we went for Gordon Strachan?

Bit unfair to the second time, as there is absolutely no way in hell we should have ignored him the first time. Because - and bringing this back around to being vaguely on topic - I doubt we would have lost to Wales twice in that campaign had we had Lagerback in there.

And on a slight tangent to that, what a rise from that point. A little under three years ago, the final whistle blew on qualifying for Brazil 2014. Wales finished behind Scotland in 5th place, after only managing a win at home to Macedonia and a point against Belgium to add to their six points against Scotland. Now if we'd had a competent manager, I believe we would have gotten at least four of those back, but what a few years it has been for Wales. Two years after that campaign finished, they won their group, and less than a year later they were in a semi final.

Boo.

we already did that before in 1978, didn't really work out ;)

Ally McLeod likes this.

macleod2.jpg

It would be like Dagenham and Redbridge getting to the FA Cup semi final with the most expensive footballer in the history of football, one of the best midfielders in Europe AND many experienced Premier League players.

Didnt Wycombe lose in the FA Cup Semi Final? I suppose thats as good a comparison as any... W for Wycombe, W for Wales.

Not sure if they had a losers bus tour though ;)

And on a slight tangent to that, what a rise from that point. A little under three years ago, the final whistle blew on qualifying for Brazil 2014. Wales finished behind Scotland in 5th place, after only managing a win at home to Macedonia and a point against Belgium to add to their six points against Scotland. Now if we'd had a competent manager, I believe we would have gotten at least four of those back, but what a few years it has been for Wales. Two years after that campaign finished, they won their group, and less than a year later they were in a semi final.
The problem with Scottish football is that we allow the Scottish FA to interfere with player & coaching development. :(

Celebrating losing a semi final? Jesus. I'm embarrassed that we even did one in 1990 apparently. No wonder we're set in a way where that's deemed success. Anything other then winning is failure.

Celebrating getting far further than expected, playing far better than expected and getting the furthest we've ever got in our history.

When was the last time England got to the semis btw?

Celebrating losing a semi final? Jesus. I'm embarrassed that we even did one in 1990 apparently. No wonder we're set in a way where that's deemed success. Anything other then winning is failure.

You have literally no idea what you are talking about if you think that's what tomorrow is

Wales finished behind Scotland in 5th place, after only managing a win at home to Macedonia and a point against Belgium to add to their six points against Scotland. Now if we'd had a competent manager, I believe we would have gotten at least four of those back

If we'd had a competent refereeing team, we'd have had three points in Cardiff.

it's the same thing as any other welcome home party (like the icelandic one where all the players did the viking clap thing with 100,000 people) except it's on a bus. I don't get how that's odd or would seem strange.

The Iceland one was on a bus as well, so pretty much exactly the same thing...

Some people just utter misery guts.

In all fairness I'm pretty sure we won our group and Wales came in second. (we lost the quarter final though, details) :)

That happens every where though.

Where I live in Holland you never see or hear anything about football, I know for sure both my neighbours couldn't care less about football but when (not this time) Holland play in a major tournament they are all dressed in their orange clothes and stupid hats, they can even name some of the Dutch players, some of them anyway. :)

People just get caught up in it all, Wales for 2-3 weeks forgot they had a rugby team. :)

Here in my part of Holland you wouldn't even know a tournament was going on!

Archived