Staff Firings are ridiculously unrealistic.

And I mean they are not even close.

It is so completely flawed that it takes away from the enjoyment of playing.

There are ZERO teams in the NHL which have hired and fired three separate coaches over the course of a season. Let alone 3 separate teams which have done so in the exact same season. Yeah guys, that happened last season. I am in season 4.

And no, I am not talking about an intern coach here, I am talking about a full blown 3 or 4 year contract to each individual coach.

And don't get me started on the underqualified people whom are hired.

Speaking of which, after 4 seasons, I have won the cup four straight times. I have also smashed the record for most points in a season in 3 of those four years. I have a record of 305-68-31. I am the top ranked GM in the world according to the rankings in the game, and my board fires me today exactly one month after winning the 4th cup. And one day after giving me a positive board review. I can only assume it is because I trade away assets that they deem valuable yet over time prove to be complete crap (record speaks for itself and finances are awesome). Spending all of this time on this game only for it to end in such an impossible an unfathomably unrealistic way just proves that your team spent quite a bit of time in certain areas and spent little to no time in others. And no, I didn't "mod" the game in any way.

I say this because you brand this AI as realistic and keep talking about how it is the most realistic GM game out there. That was debateable before, but in order for something to be considered "realistic" then one cannot have several different major flaws which, like stated, have never once happened in the modern history of the league. Let alone several times with several teams.

It is, pardon the irony, absolutely impossible for one to describe a thing as realistic when there are impossibilities within the thing which is described as realistic. You cannot call something realistic if there are situations which occur that do not, have not or will not happen in "real" life situations. It is a contradiction to the exact definition of the word.

Also, I am severely doubting that any team would have 12 injuries at one time on their roster....especially when those 12 occur to the exact top 12 guys on one team.

So bugs are one thing...when there are several impossibilities that occur with frequency then you should consider your statements about the AI in your machine as 100% false. Not inaccurate, just plain false. Because while it is remarkable in certain areas, that does nothing for the game when things that simply never occur, start occurring.

And the fans and board "raging" over a trade which saw a 6th defenseman and a marginal prospect and a 3rd rounder get traded for a 1st, again...most fans would take that any day of the week. Especially when the defenseman is Ben Lovejoy, the prospect is in Europe after never panning out, and the draft pick became Matt Tkachuk who in the game is now one of the highest rated LW's.

These aren't some "minor" flaws here. I consider things happening which actually never happen to be major. And make the game look 2nd rate. And for all of the patting yourselves on the back going on for your AI, I offer this for some levity.

Whether the AI fires other teams GMs or Coaches or not doesn't matter one iota to how your game as a GM of your team works. The hirings and firings of other teams staff is pure window-dressing, it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. There are a lot more important things to work on when it comes to improving the AI. It is also a known thing that has been this way since the first version of the (commercial) game so is more than 10 years running and if this was important to you you should have been able to find it out before you made your purchase.

There have been loads of complaints over the years about unrealistic injuries but they have all turned out to be due to the gamer overworking his players and using unrealistic practice loads and not letting his players rest. If this is so in this case I cannot say because you haven't given any information as to how you use your player material. In the game I'm currently playing and in all the games I've played over the years with earlier versions (well over a thousand seasons) I have never encountered any unrealistic injury "spell". The injury frequency that my team suffers correspond very well with reality.

The board and fan reaction to trades is flawed and have been for years and Riz is trying to fix it but it is hard to do since making a machine understand the subtleties of evaluating a trade is hard to do as it involves taking into account the current as well as the future needs of your team. If you make a trade that goes against what you yourself have set as "team needs" that will have a negative impact. Other things that have a bearing is what you have told your board the player status is. If you trade someone that you yourself have designated as "Hot Prospect" for a few picks then they're right to complain if the same player is designated "decent young player" and traded for the same picks it will be received differently. Most of us simply ignore what the board and fans say and turn off "human sackings".

It seems to me quite obvious that you haven't understood how the game works in several areas and maybe you should try to figure it out before complaining. There are good places to ask questions if you need help such as The Blue Line.

I too think there is to much turnover amongst staff.

I also think the idea that "The hirings and firings of other teams staff is pure window-dressing, it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way" is not true; IMO unless the staff themselves are window-dressing the staff of your opponents obviously affect a user's gameplay experience (things like your opponents trading, drafting, tactics, player usage and more)

I don't think the game creates realistic/quality staff & usually the database staff are missing ratings and often incorrectly rated (NHL staff rated to low, non-NHL staff and free agents rated to high) - I've come to the conclusion personally that something that would help a lot with this issue and others is a user created "underdatabase" http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16779

I completely agree with Nino-33 on this. I wish the game did a better job of generating and hiring AI staff. I have become a master at drafting and developing prospects and wouldn't be ableto with out quality staff. OK, drafting still needs work in this sim, but assistant coaches and the head coach are almost the most important part of this game. With out quality coaches your players, no matter how good they can be, will doubtfully reach their PA. I spend more time on managing my staff then I do reading my scouting reports. My opinion is that the staff are the most important part of this sim and probably the most neglected as well. I hope once the sim is ironed out and the Dev has more time they can start to look at ways to improve the staff as it's far too important to be left in it's current state.

Archived