Referee performance

Lermon

• 2 weeks later...

I think overall, so far, the refereeing has been pretty consistently great. There's been the odd occasion where you have to wonder how one officialt, let alone 3, has missed something blatantly obvious, but on the whole I think the standard has been very good indeed.

I do still have to question the point of having these goalline officials. There was one game where a striker shot and the ball took a huge deflection off the defender and somehow a goal kick was given. I mean, yeah, both the referee and the linesman somehow missed it, but if the goalline official isn't going to step in there then they are literally pointless.

I've been impressed, in particular I've liked how many of the officials are allowing games to flow & that many of them are waving off the dramatic falls after minimal contact that would draw a foul in club game.

I do still have to question the point of having these goalline officials. There was one game where a striker shot and the ball took a huge deflection off the defender and somehow a goal kick was given. I mean, yeah, both the referee and the linesman somehow missed it, but if the goalline official isn't going to step in there then they are literally pointless.
Maybe he did but the ref overruled him? Giving them a baton rather than a flag does them no favours at all & I still can't think of a sensible reason for them not being given a flag.

Not sure what situation you are referring to so hard to say for sure but it's likely that the deflection wasn't where the AAR was focused. When the ball is in/near the PA the AARs will focus on the goalline or off the ball situations and leave on the ball situations and deflections to the referee or the AR. Each person can only do so much and AARs have more important things to do than call unexpected corners/goalkicks.

Maybe he did but the ref overruled him? Giving them a baton rather than a flag does not no favours at all & I still think of a sensible reason for them not being given a flag.

They don't need a flag. All competitions that use AAR's also have intercoms for the team and and referees that knows when to look for help from the AAR. They are there to help the referee with an additional perspective, they don't need to make the final decision on anything apart from goal/no goal decisions and even then they focus on the over the line/not over the line part with the referee considering the whole situation and making the final decision.

They don't need a flag. All competitions that use AAR's also have intercoms for the team and and referees that knows when to look for help from the AAR. They are there to help the referee with an additional perspective, they don't need to make the final decision on anything apart from goal/no goal decisions and even then they focus on the over the line/not over the line part with the referee considering the whole situation and making the final decision.

The flag would be for the benefit of those watching the game, all we ever hear about the AARs is accusations that they do nothing &this is because we cannot see what they are doing. Also worth noting that in the Euro's they are not there for goal/no goal decisions because GLT is in use, they are there to cover blind spots that exist between the ref & assistant ref.

I don't know if it's the mark of a good or a bad referee to judge a situation squarely by what the rule book allows, isolated from the overall situation. For example, I thought the penalty call against Schweinsteiger was quite harsh even if replays show the call to be technically correct. I would have preferred the ref to show greater situational awareness, but that's how I frequently feel on unintentional hand balls. Overall, the refereeing has been of pretty good quality this tournament, but there are definitely inconsistencies in the level of strictness.

Think the refereeing has been superb. There's a decent crop of refs at European level now, as opposed to the two or three good ones you had 10 years ago.

Cuneyt Cakir is appalling and thinks we're there to watch him, but the others are good.

Rizzoli, Clattenburg, Brych, Kassai and Jonas Eriksson are all decent and I wouldn't mind them reffing any of my team's games. Damir Skomina is alright too.

I don't know if it's the mark of a good or a bad referee to judge a situation squarely by what the rule book allows, isolated from the overall situation. For example, I thought the penalty call against Schweinsteiger was quite harsh even if replays show the call to be technically correct. I would have preferred the ref to show greater situational awareness, but that's how I frequently feel on unintentional hand balls. Overall, the refereeing has been of pretty good quality this tournament, but there are definitely inconsistencies in the level of strictness.

What I couldn't understand was how he actually saw the incident. When I saw the replay the ref was stood behind the two players, so I'm surprised he had a clear view of it. If he did spot it, and was 100% sure, credit to him though. But personally I don't think it was a penalty. If I was a German fan, I'd feel a bit aggrieved because the ref did miss an incident earlier when a German player went down in the box (I can't remember who it was now). But the replays showed that there was contact there, while the ref just waived it away.

I'm just pleased that the game wasn't won on the penalty decision. And France got the second goal to settle things.

One of the positives was how Refs in the tournament have been letting the games flow like in the premiership. I wonder how the supporters in most of the other European leagues feel about going back to the stop & start negativity that is a feature of those leagues.

Archived