Differences between Advanced Playmaker and Attacking Midfielder

Hi everyone,

Hope you are enjoying with Euro 2016 nowadays.

I'd like to learn the differences between Advanced Playmaker and Attacking Midfielder roles from your experiences. What are their characteristics? What do they tend to do? The duty I ask is "attack" for both of them.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

I'm assuming a AP(A) on the AM Strata. He will drop deeper from the hole, ask/demands the ball, brings it forward (probably into the hole), runs at the defenders, tries to dribble pass them and/or attempts risky passes (through balls) to the forwards.

Whereas the AM(A) will not drop deep. He'll initially stay in the hole, and attacks crosses/through balls like a No 9. He will not get the ball as much as the AP(A), but his starting position will in the AM strata.

In conclusion: AP(A) more of a supporting player. AM(A) more of a attacking finishing player. AP(A) can be a finishing player too, with some tweaks on PIs that is.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

• 1 month later...

Another big difference between the two is that with a playmaker role his teammates will look to feed him the ball more often as he is the designated man to make something happen (especially if he is the only player with a playmaker role). Getting him the ball earlier and more often can be an advantage or a disadvantage.

23 hours ago, Marsupian said:

Another big difference between the two is that with a playmaker role his teammates will look to feed him the ball more often as he is the designated man to make something happen (especially if he is the only player with a playmaker role). Getting him the ball earlier and more often can be an advantage or a disadvantage.

thanks Marsupian, yes it can be advantage and disadvantage. So what happens if you have more than one players with playmaker role?

1 hour ago, talhak said:

thanks Marsupian, yes it can be advantage and disadvantage. So what happens if you have more than one players with playmaker role?

I'm not entirely sure. Either one of them gets designated the main playmaker and becomes the preferred person to look for on the pitch or the preference gets split between the different playmakers. I know in earlier versions you could pick one player as the designated playmaker so that might still be the case under the hood.

2 hours ago, talhak said:

Playmaking duties will be shared equally, in theory. In practice, it also depends on the setup and passing style etc as to what'll actually happen.

4 hours ago, talhak said:

If you have more than one playmaker usually they will encroach on eachother's space. When you want your team to play wide and in shape, this is a bad thing (attack is very narrow and less players for the playmakers to make plays too). If you have a dlp defend this could work, but just remember that your playmaker will get the ball in attacking plays and into an attacking or wide player, so if you have two it could be problematic. I personally like the dlp and am because my transitions will start deep and work its way up to the quicker more creative am who will either go to goal or quick pass out wide. For direct football, a dlp or am is used better than an ap mainly because the ap will keep the ball and seek options rather than quick direct play. Honestly it depends on your playing style overall. For possession an ap might work better than an am, but for direct or counter attacking tactic I like ams

Archived