Group B - Slovakia V England & Russia V Wales

Djstu23

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he didnt though did he?

Wilshere shouldn't have started, but he is exactly the sort of player you need on the pitch for that last 30 minutes where it's attack versus defence. And Alli would have been far more effective from the start than coming on at the end like that.

Rooney was really sluggish tbh.
I thought he was trying to force the play a bit, but you'd expect that from him seeing as how we were needing a bit more power pushing from midfield and that we needed a goal. I wish he would have started really...I think he's been our best player really from the first 2 games.

Wilshere shouldn't have started' date=' but he is exactly the sort of player you need on the pitch for that last 30 minutes where it's attack versus defence. And Alli would have been far more effective from the start than coming on at the end like that.[/quote']

I think wilshere is mostly pants but id rather have a player on the pitch that is going to try things against a team that is all out defence. He'll fluff 9/10 but that 1/10 might just come off without much risk

England had three clear cut chances. Vardy had one. Lallana had one. Sturridge had one (even though that won't go down as a chance in the stats).

Thats not bad against a team parking the bus for 90 mins. England aren't Spain, they won't create 7 clear chances against teams like this. Need their strikers to be more ruthless.

I think wilshere is mostly pants but id rather have a player on the pitch that is going to try things against a team that is all out defence. He'll fluff 9/10 but that 1/10 might just come off without much risk

On that logic, Barkley would have been a better call as he's actually match fit

It's still not good enough, we don't have the guile or goals in the team to trouble an opponent doing that to us. If a team sits back they have a good chance of frustrating us. Luckily, we'll now play slightly better teams that come out and they can test our suspect defence that hasn't properly been tested yet!

Turd of a group, handed Wales a route to the 1/4 finals, I am sure they'll be over the moon. Can't even be arsed checking who we may have now.

Expanded tournament means there will be some teams with limited ambition, Slovakia could have gone for us and nicked 1st or 2nd but they came for that draw. You can't complain about that though, have to break those teams down but we struggle, just no goals in our midfield, no real striking instinct

England had three clear cut chances. Vardy had one. Lallana had one. Sturridge had one (even though that won't go down as a chance in the stats).

Thats not bad against a team parking the bus for 90 mins. England aren't Spain, they won't create 7 clear chances against teams like this. Need their strikers to be more ruthless.

Lots of england 'supporters' arent happy unless they're moaning. There always has to be an excuse, scapegoat, etc we could win the thing and people would still complain that we've won in spite of something and that noble/townsend/akinfenwa should be in the squad

Its virtually impossible for Portugal to come 2nd in group F.

They would need Iceland/Austria to draw while also having a higher scoring draw vs Hungary.

If both teams win 1-0, then Portugal are 2nd as far as im aware

Iceland have scored more goals, so just matching a win for them should put them top

Wilshere was pretty much an non-entity, yep, the 'half fit Wilshere is still our best midfielder' struggled, as predicted but 'it's not his fault as he wasn't match fit' ... as predicted

I wish someone would let me know when he was going do one of his 'try things'

Decent call on Barkley actually, I wouldn't have been against him coming on

Rooney and Alli made a big difference so ... start with them then? I don't mind a bit of rotation but Wilshere was a risk coming into the tournament. The fact he only gave is 55 minutes shows he knew it wasn't working

Remember the situation we were in 2 years ago people...we were going home after 2 games...tonight was disappointing, but it's not like we've scraped through and we now go into games where it's just one game at a time and we definitely have match winners in our team...believe people :)

Lots of england 'supporters' arent happy unless they're moaning. There always has to be an excuse' date=' scapegoat, etc we could win the thing and people would still complain that we've won in spite of something and that noble/townsend/akinfenwa should be in the squad[/quote']

I think England have played good football. But you can see they're not used to playing with so much control and possession. They need to stick with it and the goals and results will come. Those last 10 mins, so many bad decisions were made. Needs practice. Might not come in this tournament, but they need to stick with the process and these players

Why are people scared of portugal? They are complete pony

Theyre not. They have created an unbelievable number of chances. Results are misleading - too many are looking at them and thinking they're ****. Not saying they're amazing, but they will cause England more problems than the other teams England have played combined

Bottom half of the KO stage is looking interesting, Italy, France & England likely to be joined by Germany plus in all probability one from Spain or Croatia & although unlikely due to the required results maybe even Portugal.

I think England - France could get very interesting. Would really like to see that. Personally I have the feeling England is struggling to really make a game, dictate the play and maybe also to cope the role of 'favorites' ... I think against a side like France, who have not been convincing at all imho. England could get very dangerous when playing on the counter.

Maybe sounds crazy but when England for example next round will meet Iceland and then in the 1/4 finals France, I see Iceland as a bigger problem for them than France. Not at all with the guarantee that they will beat France, but a match like that will suit them better.

I think England have played good football. But you can see they're not used to playing with so much control and possession. They need to stick with it and the goals and results will come. Those last 10 mins, so many bad decisions were made. Needs practice. Might not come in this tournament, but they need to stick with the process and these players

It wasn't very long ago people were rightly complaing our ball retention waa awful. We've addressed that pretty well recently and now everyone is complaining we keep it for too long and do nothing. We're not going to go from 12% possession and pass completion to spain overnight

We have played 2 teams who in certainly in the 2nd half had to intention to try and win it and played for a draw and created some decent chances in both. Always going to be hard to score when teams just play for a draw. Saying that are final ball in the box does need to be better, but id be more concerned how are defence will hold up against teams that actually attack as its not really been tested yet if anything

It wasn't very long ago people were rightly complaing our ball retention waa awful. We've addressed that pretty well recently and now everyone is complaining we keep it for too long and do nothing. We're not going to go from 12% possession and pass completion to spain overnight

Thought Bilic made the best point tonight, doesn't mean very much having so much possession against a team playing the way Slovakia were playing.

England could have easily drawn all 3 of their games. Was just a moment of magic that England got the second vs Wales.

Could say that about alot of league games too though. We may have been close to drawing all 3, but we certainly didnt look like losing them

Maybe because they are better than any other team you have played so far?

Err, that is inevitable. We eventually are going to have to play someone good.

Going 'ugh NOW we have to play portugal in the QFs' is like getting to the final and saying 'OH FFS now we have to play spain, france, Germany' etc

Thought Bilic made the best point tonight' date=' doesn't mean very much having so much possession against a team playing the way Slovakia were playing.[/quote']

True and bilic made loads of good points, but aside from tonight, generally our ball retention has improved dramatically very recently

It's really our ball retention against good teams we need to improve, we're generally alright against middling sides. That part of our game has improved though

Been listening to Andy Cole on beIN Sports, what an utter knob, moaning about 'possession meaning nothing without goals' when I am sure he'll be criticising us in previous games where we have less possession, even when we in and 'it's far, fear of the media' ... get over that, ffs

There was nothing in any our performances in this tournament that have suggested fear of the media, it's not 2006 but they still churn it out thinking it makes them sound insightful, no matter how we lost that is what he planned to say

Not sure what it is about that generation of England players that are super critical and negative as if during their time we did great or something! There's a bunch of them

England could have easily drawn all 3 of their games. Was just a moment of magic that England got the second vs Wales.

Been substantially the better team in all 3 games. It was unlucky to draw with Russia and late goal aside Wales didn't deserve a thing from our game

Hodgson can take quite a lot of blame, since we're now 3 games into the tournament and he still doesn't have a clue what his strongest team is or how he wants to play.

For all of his criticisms, I think this is completely untrue. I think we could all easily guess what he thinks his best team is.

Thought Bilic made the best point tonight' date=' doesn't mean very much having so much possession against a team playing the way Slovakia were playing.[/quote']

Yeh he's right. But it's a process. Not so long ago, England would have made players like Robert Mak look amazing. Now he's reduced to futile running around. Hamsik too. He is class, but he did nothing tonight.

The he next stage is to make teams pay for giving you the ball. Like Spain do. And Bayern etc.

Then the next stage is to take this into games vs. good teams. The challenge here might actually be defending properly than making sure possession is closer to 50-50

I wasn't able to catch the game other than the final 10 minutes, but after that and watching a relatively long bunch of highlights at the end, I'm a bit bemused people are this negative in here about England, though I understand it's almost impossible to be unbiased about your own national side. I know the results aren't there and the team hasn't been thrilling to watch, but England look like they know what they're doing with the ball and that for me is the most dangerous thing of all. What do you guys expect, you just faced 3 parked buses (might as well be a double bus in front of the Slovakian goal, ridiculous :D).

I wasn't able to catch the game other than the final 10 minutes, but after that and watching a relatively long bunch of highlights at the end, I'm a bit bemused people are this negative in here about England, though I understand it's almost impossible to be unbiased about your own national side. I know the results aren't there and the team hasn't been thrilling to watch, but England look like they know what they're doing with the ball and that for me is the most dangerous thing of all. What do you guys expect, you just faced 3 parked buses (might as well be a double bus in front of the Slovakian goal, ridiculous :D).
I agree with a lot of this...too many past competitions has seen us out at this stage and look very inept in our play. Overall we have controlled each game and could have walked away with 3 wins...the whole tournament hasn't really seen anyone score massively in each match, so the lack of goals doesn't worry me, I'd be more worried if we couldn't hold on to the ball and create chances...and we've shown we can do that in 3 games now. Now it's on to the knockouts then it just becomes a lottery...we play like we have and we give ourselves a chance...and that is against anyone I've seen so far...we might not win, but we'll give it a good shot I bet.

For all of his criticisms, I think this is completely untrue. I think we could all easily guess what he thinks his best team is.

Can we? I sure can't.

Thought Sterling would be in it, but after not coming on tonight I don't think he is. Would say 4-3-3 seems to be what he wants, but can't see Kane playing wide of the 3. Has flipped and flopped with the diamond hoping it'll work better alongside this.

Can we? I sure can't.

Thought Sterling would be in it, but after not coming on tonight I don't think he is. Would say 4-3-3 seems to be what he wants, but can't see Kane playing wide of the 3. Has flipped and flopped with the diamond hoping it'll work better alongside this.

Think it's clearly the XI which started the first game, minus possibly Sterling

Frustrating game that eh?

We just aren't clinical enough in front of goal atm, which is a strange thing to say when we've got two strikers that have scored 24 and 25 this past season. Taking the harder route in the knockouts then, always the hard way with England, we never make it easy for ourselves.

Disappointing of course not to top the group as we should have. And that's a failure in itself but going on past tournaments where we've struggled in most areas of our game and not looked confident with the ball we are definitely heading in the right direction right now, sure tonight didn't go our way but we controlled the game for 95 mins and didn't give them a sniff bar Smalling and Hart not being on the same wavelength. We just need to be a little quicker in terms of moving the ball about and we'll create better chances.

I was all for making a few changes for this game so I feel Roy made the right call, you've got a 23 man squad, use it. Can't expect him to play the same 11-14 players or so every game. I can see why people weren't big on him making those changes though.

A week now to rest up and see who we face in the Round of 16.

Archived