Group B - Slovakia V England & Russia V Wales

Djstu23

That was dire to watch, as much as I am anti England I would rather have seen a 4- 3 for England than that.

Ah well maybe we won't see too many posts asking who England can get in the semi's for a while, I seen a few of them since that late winner against Wales.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 2nd half was seriously boring. England the decidedly best team, but like against Russia they failed to find a winning goal. Will be interesting to see how England do in the next game(s), when they eventually come up against the better sides.

Wales have done great. Russia have been ****-poor, probably the worst team in the tournament.

Poor team selection, who else rests players after 4 point from 2 games?

Lack of wingers was glaring, the Rooney/Vardy/Kane thing doesn't work. Surely you'd be better off having someone like Townsend in the squad, actual winger for the last 15 mins.

Everyone saw that when the squad was picked...except wise old Woy.

****ing spineless performance from Slovakia, offered utterly nothing and just sat everyone behind the ball, never even tried to go forward

And they've still gone through unfortunately.

We were no better than them, they challenged us to try and break them down and we failed miserably. Only Eric Dier was any good for me at least he tried.

I agree with this really...I think a better formation is needed with the squad he's chosen compared to the first 11 we've played so far.

We got what we deserved from the group. Not quite great qualification from not quite good enough setup. Players could have done better tonight, but they were not setup with the best chance of what they wanted to do. If we are playing through the middle with high advanced full backs as wide get out options, we do not need a narrow front 3, where none of them have space to move and therefore are not creating gaps with movement.

A little too slow and predictable in the final third, but Slovakia were always going to be tough to break down playing like that. Just one of those games.

Can't blame Woy tonight. One thing I would say is I think Bertrand is pretty rubbish. Offered absolutely nothing on the left, almost everything we created had to come down the right or through the middle.

****ing spineless performance from Slovakia, offered utterly nothing and just sat everyone behind the ball, never even tried to go forward

Haha brilliant. Damn them for trying to get through the group and stopping England's glorious march to the QF

Its virtually impossible for Portugal to come 2nd in group F.

They would need Iceland/Austria to draw while also having a higher scoring draw vs Hungary.

If Iceland and Portugal both win their games, Portugal finishes second if their goal difference/ goals scored is less than Iceland's

Bottom half of the KO stage is looking interesting, Italy, France & England likely to be joined by Germany plus in all probability one from Spain or Croatia & although unlikely due to the required results maybe even Portugal.

The England thread is full of people saying it needed to be a diamond with the squad once it was announced. It's been so obvious.

Urm your conversation was about formation and I agree with you fwiw.

My conversation was about the personnel.

Its virtually impossible for Portugal to come 2nd in group F.

They would need Iceland/Austria to draw while also having a higher scoring draw vs Hungary.

What if Iceland beat Austria by more goals than Portugal beat Hungary? Does that not put Iceland top and Portugal 2nd too?

Okay people - that match is done...what would people do in terms of picking their next England team??? I'd go:

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Dier

Rooney

Alli

Sturridge

Kane

Lallana

I think that would do me and we could have a bloody good go at whoever we play...onwards and upwards.

Really poor result for England, if they can get through the R16 they'll likely have to face France in the quarters.

Surprised by how poor Russia were in the whole tournament, convincingly beaten by the Welsh.

If we cannot beat Slovakia we don't deserve to go through to the next round to be honest. Bertrand was just a non entity tonight. At least Rose offers pace and power.

And I do not care who he plays for, Henderson is an awful player.

Okay people - that match is done...what would people do in terms of picking their next England team??? I'd go:

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Dier

Rooney

Alli

Sturridge

Kane

Lallana

I think that would do me and we could have a bloody good go at whoever we play...onwards and upwards.

4-3-1-2.

Hart; Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Rooney, Dier, Alli; Sterling; Vardy, Kane

Although England have been decent in 4-3-3

What if Iceland beat Austria by more goals than Portugal beat Hungary? Does that not put Iceland top and Portugal 2nd too?

Yeah makes it slightly more likely, still don't think we'll get Portugal though.

You're kidding right?

We barely tested their goalkeeper.

All England did was pass it sideways across midfield for most of the game them take aimless long shots.

It was hardly spineless from Slovakia, England's creativity was so poor that was all they really had to do to stop us.

If anything it was more of a spineless performance from England, we just didn't look like we wanted to actually try some risky passes forwards to try create anything. We were just as conservative in possession than Slovakia were out of it.

No they didn't.

Theres no guarantee that the same 11 would have done any better.

Whatever 11 is put out for England is pretty similar. The game had drab draw written all over it from the start of the group and I cleaned up on it at the bookies. Happy days.

Yeah makes it slightly more likely, still don't think we'll get Portugal though.

I agree. I personally think it's Iceland or Hungary. Either way we'll probably lose to whoever we play so it doesn't matter much :D

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Dier

Rooney

Alli

Sturridge

Kane

Lallana

I would go with that with Lallana behind two strikers.

Against tougher opposition you might need a more defensive minded player than Alli at MC though to start with.

Archived