[FM16] Fiorentin-o? Never heard of them! A copycat youth challenge

smp20

e2557a2028bebe8d56e8263485d3338f.png

The timing felt right, so I created a new manager for the NT. The manager created is Marco Benvenuti, who got 22 caps for San Marino and played 146 league games for Fiorentino, becoming a club legend in the process. He was released in 2022 and retired soon after at just 27 years old. Now he is revived, and has the task of managing San Marino National Team. Here are their last two campaigns:

974265c5df86012403cf149e76ace578.png

They did well in the last Nations League, finishing 2nd behind Iceland.

0cdad99d1a35814f2c43ae7aca6db597.png

It may look bad from a results perspective, but they had a very tough group and they kept it respectable throughout. Some close results there. Besides the Fiorentino players who we all know well, these two are key players:

2e5d9d6424a1c6f453aa56ddbcae7082.png

Vannucci has got vast experience in Serie B for Pescara after leaving San Marino, who coincidently are languished in Serie D. He also played in Serie A for Pescara last season, in which they were relegated. He is probably San Marino's most talented player.

7f4478ac7acc94b0bdb6474aecc4db24.png

Nanni left San Marino as a 16/17 year old for Lazio for £4k. Over that time he has spent time out on loan in Serie C making 28 appearances for Pistoese. However, in 6 seasons playing for Lazio, he has made just 4 appearances, 2 being in Serie A. He could be a very decent keeper, but he needs game time.

6a4d1d69d9208e6247ad8b527f44bb1b.png

The NT peaked in early 2025 at 147th in the world rankings and are currently 176th. A much better position than where they started. We have a friendly versus New Zealand coming up, then later on in the year we have the European Nations League which is yet to be drawn.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9c98927f827f00bc521f3915706ac317.png

The expected happened, but we have a good go of it. It was disappointing to lose the first leg 5-1 as it was a pretty close game in terms of chances. However, a 3-2 loss away in front of 70,000 fans was very respectable. Youth intake day should be coming up soon, fingers crossed!

FC_Fiorentino_logo.png

Youth Intake 2026

c656e43b44cdf31c1fe530f7dea608d8.png

Absolute rubbish!!!!! Nobody worth tagging. As normal I will sign all the players with more than 0.5* potential, but they are all pretty crap.

Bad luck on the intakes lately, but that 3-2 away at Valencia is something to be proud of.

Two bad ones in a row, but I can't be too upset considering the talent in the seasons before. Just odd that as we are getting higher rep and exceptional junior coaching and the intakes are getting worse. Just the luck of the draw. Cheers, very happy with that scoreline.

130px-Federazione_Sammarinese_Giuoco_Calcio.svg.png

d769c26a12988e24a0f5f4c68b2c08ba.png

A result to be very happy with in Marco Benvenuti's first game in charge. We went a goal behind to a penalty, but Terenzi nodded home an equaliser. At 93:39 (when 3 minutes were added), young San Marino (club) midfielder Marco Bacciocchi slammed home an unexpected winner!!! Here's the match winner:

a7364e09bb6fbd9eda96aae45a3161a4.png

61be8defad46614597a372b81b74edce.png

League Table ~ Champions Playoff ~ San Marino Cup ~ Facilities ~ Finances

We didn't have a 100% record, but i certainly can't complain! Another title and cup win. Our facilities are looking great now as are our finances thanks to Champions League football.

53efe4f985750ed594ebf1d0d967d073.png

10b657293a5325e7ef5c2152f59d5a4a.png

First world problems, facility upgrades are getting expensive!

532a603a85c2e5d6f9f6894995f7ae57.png

An interesting draw and I think that we should definitely finish top 2, but we have a good chance of winning it. This all kicks off in September :)

bc9eb0e522b62b7db7f5d5ab9c348b20.png

My progress spreadsheet above :thup:

Filled it out as much as I could but some of it is difficult to do retrospectively, particularly where finances are involved.

Awesome looking spreadsheet :D:thup:

Cheers, I imagine there may be a few more red boxes after this seasons successful European campaign though.

Wow, this save is outstanding.

May I ask what set up you used when beginning this save? Did you only load San Marino? Did you add players to playable teams? That type of stuff. :)

I'm actually inspired to create my own save in an undecided obscure league (love you, claassen) following this model now, spreadsheets and all. I'm assuming the ultimate goal is similar to that of a typical youth challenge - Champions League winners? World Cup too, I suppose with that being added.

Keep it up!

edit - one other question. in regards to picking a club, did you follow any specific rule? I guess it really doesn't matter when you're starting at such a low level but I wanted to make sure I'm doing this *correctly*. Normally use a previously unplayable club but it seems that's not an option in San Marino.

Not a bad youth intakes three times in a row.:( What other Sammarinese teams have good youth intakes other than Fiorentino? Any problems on the HOYD?

Our 2025 & 2026 intakes have been bad, that's for sure. Our HOYD is very good, I can screenshot later, and he has been in place for many seasons before the bad intakes (and has improved) so I can't see him being the reason for poor intakes. San Marino (club) have produced a couple of good players in Nanni and Vannucci (SS a few posts back) but other than that, no decent players have come through from anywhere. The other SM teams are slowly improving their facilities and youth setups so this might change in the future.

Wow, this save is outstanding.

May I ask what set up you used when beginning this save? Did you only load San Marino? Did you add players to playable teams? That type of stuff. :)

I'm actually inspired to create my own save in an undecided obscure league (love you, claassen) following this model now, spreadsheets and all. I'm assuming the ultimate goal is similar to that of a typical youth challenge - Champions League winners? World Cup too, I suppose with that being added.

Keep it up!

edit - one other question. in regards to picking a club, did you follow any specific rule? I guess it really doesn't matter when you're starting at such a low level but I wanted to make sure I'm doing this *correctly*. Normally use a previously unplayable club but it seems that's not an option in San Marino.

Thanks for your kind words Tyler :)

In terms of initial setup, I only had the SM league loaded to start with. However, I also loaded up all current internationals from all continents, all players based in SM / SM nationality (not sure if this added any extra players) as well as all players in top divisions in Europe. I think this meant I had around 60k players in the database. I didn't add players to playable teams as the SM clubs have full squads to start with, though in other nations where they are not this could be very useful.

I started with Fiorentino for three reasons; they started with basic recruitment instead of limited, they were predicted 10/11 out of 15 so were a smaller club and they started with one of my old favourite players Juri Biordi. Yes the ultimate aim is to win the CL and Euros/WC, but there are plenty of intermediate aims including getting to the group stages of Europe or qualifying for a major international tournament.

I'd say go for it in terms of obscure countries! it is a really good challenge to do, youth challenge or not. There is a real excitement about the European fixtures, something you don't get as much when you are a big club and you have an automatic right to start in the groups if you do well in the league. Just pick a team you can feel something for, it may be a player, club badge, history...anything that gives you a trigger to want to be them.

I think it's nice to start as more of an 'underdog' side in a league, however even a save in an obscure league with a favourite will still bring many challenges and could be a good option if you want to do a youth challenge but start with decent facilities (e.g. Pyunik of Armenia).

Best of luck with your save, you are always welcome to join us in San Marino :brock:

FC_Fiorentino_logo.png

z62sRHC.png

Oh dear! We were knocked out by Irish champions Cork City. We were expected to win, but the underdogs beat us home and away by a single goal. A tad of complacency? I'm not sure, but this will hurt our finances and may have knock on effects to our co-efficients and rankings.

RmSTuYt.png

TV money is up again this year - Pennerossa and Tre Fiori have turned professional and there are no amateur clubs left.

Not a bad youth intakes three times in a row.:( What other Sammarinese teams have good youth intakes other than Fiorentino? Any problems on the HOYD?

f79d75250cc716a1d21101efd33b8687.png

This is our HOYD, he's been here for 8 years and I can't see him being replaced any time soon! He wasn't anywhere near as good as that when he first joined.

San Marino National Team 2026

rjLy8WA.png

An excellent first season under my alias Marco Benvenuti with the national team. The only hiccup was the first Nations League game against Estonia where we just couldn't find the net. From there on, it was a brilliant campaign. Our best performance was without doubt the 4-0 win away to Armenia, who are a decent side, but the most exciting was the Estonia home win which decided the winner.

18NFH8H.png

I'm actually pretty happy with this draw considering we were a 6th seed. We should beat the Faroe Islands, while Georgia and Finland aren't great. Sweden, the 2nd seed side, are on the decline. Of course Belgium are firm favourites to win the group. We should definitely finish above last place, beyond that who knows!

5g2Q3a6.png

I've got a load of screenshots saved ready for some updates but I can't do anything with them as I can't connect my laptop to the internet here. They will come tonight when I am home, I hope.

Who cursed these intakes!

PS, thanks for the response above. I've narrowed it down to Andorra, San Marino, Malta, Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands. :lol:

I've started a Luxembourg 2nd division save that just finished it's first season. Hope to write it up tonight. It's...interesting. I was inspired by smp, Makoto, and jupjamie's efforts but wanted to try a different country in similar circumstances.

Congrats on the quick progress, smp! Don't think you could've started any faster out of the gate.

These intakes have not been kind to you :(

No not at all :( I do think the quality of our previous intakes are overshadowing the quality of these as Bernardi looks half decent to me. I think we had a few very good intakes before, so I can't complain too much.

Who cursed these intakes!

PS, thanks for the response above. I've narrowed it down to Andorra, San Marino, Malta, Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands. :lol:

I think I did when I did the post on the "First Golden Generation" :p. Going for the real small nations then, all of those will be interesting and have their own little challenges!

I've started a Luxembourg 2nd division save that just finished it's first season. Hope to write it up tonight. It's...interesting. I was inspired by smp, Makoto, and jupjamie's efforts but wanted to try a different country in similar circumstances.

Congrats on the quick progress, smp! Don't think you could've started any faster out of the gate.

Thank you :) nice to see more people delving into the obscure leagues. I look forward to reading it!

AcQfWO1.png

League Table ~ Champions Play-off ~ San Marino Cup ~ Facilities ~ Finance

A season where we didn't need to rest our key players due to not playing in Europe beyond the qualifiers, so in the league and cup we won several games by big scorelines. Our facilities are up to superb :).

dgljzbe.png

Our overall best 11 is looking interesting now with plenty of our academy graduates with over 150 appearances under their belt. Matteo Fiorini's goalscoring record from right midfield is pretty incredible.

UOtxX9G.png

w1NgJp2.png

The biggest news of the season is that we will be moving into a new stadium next year and a big one at that. 11,000 is enough to hold about a third of the whole nation! I'm not sure how much of it we will fill (lets hope we are gaining supporters from neighbouring Italy) but it does show the ambitions of the chairman. Just a shame it's not named after one of our legends.

Jzy24hz.png

Ti2IUxl.png

S4EAH5o.png

A slight drop in the club ranking, but the SM League is still rising which is great news.

Wow! An amazing season on all fronts! especially when the moment to forget was a 1-0 victory!

Thanks! I've started selling players to other SM teams in order to help improve the league overall, Pennarossa in particular:

7f17eda15ff35570f868cc6149bc3dfa.png

Brunetti, our first player sold for cash, is doing very well at Pennarossa. He had become 3rd choice for the club and I felt it was only fair to let him move on.

815d66dc4576cf5b2bd317e8acc7b2f5.png

Loving this. Progress spreadsheet really is wonderful!

Interesting to see where you go from here with nearly all the UCL Group Stage money being depleted a few years later. Wonder if the stadium will make a big difference to how much money you can organically bring in every year.

Also good to see you trying to bolster the league by selling players, seems like a must with how dominant you already have become domestically.

Loving this. Progress spreadsheet really is wonderful!

Interesting to see where you go from here with nearly all the UCL Group Stage money being depleted a few years later. Wonder if the stadium will make a big difference to how much money you can organically bring in every year.

Also good to see you trying to bolster the league by selling players, seems like a must with how dominant you already have become domestically.

Cheers, we have Jimbokav to thank for the progress tracker :thup:

I have invested heavily into facilities each season but I believe we are only 1 'notch' away from the highest level, so we should retain more money in the future. The stadium could help us increase our revenue if we are able to use it for European games, but I imagine it could be costly to have a big, mostly empty stadium for the league campaign.

Selling players is a great way to help out the league :thup:

(As I say that, watch how one of your ex players scores in the league final to beat you :lol:)

I was being sympathetic to Brunetti, our first 'A' tagged player, as well. He could spend his time as a 3rd choice striker for us and make <10 appearances a season, or go and be a star for another team. I have had loanees score against me already :p let's just hope Brunetti doesn't come back to haunt us!

FC_Fiorentino_logo.png

European Qualifying Campaign 2027

8O9CF5d.png

We destroy the Albanian champs, our biggest ever win in Europe!

oCq8c3m.png

A narrow loss against Malmo, a team we have often come across, means that our CL adventure is over but we are into the Europa Play-off.

nHRhbdP.png

Get in! We drew 1-1 at home and I was expecting a very tricky tie in Slovenia. However, we ended up thrashing them 6-0!

NAlqXbN.png

As per normal, we were 4th seeds so this is actually a pretty good group. Spurs are favourites by far.

Europa League Group Stages 2027

eAGQK8N.png

A fantastic start to our campaign and it set us off on the right footing.

JW2fpJS.png

syuG0RD.png

We did it :D. Plzen were weaker than when we'd played them previously but we still did well to get 4 points against them. Our best results were against Rennes. We backed up our opening win with a draw at home which officially put us through to the knockout stages before the final game. Spurs beat us comfortably in both games, but that was to be expected. Through to the knockouts for the second time!

45AVStS.png

A very tricky tie and we will have both first choice CBs out suspended for the opener so I'm not feeling hopeful. We have faced them before in 2024, where we lost both ties 1-3 and 2-4 respectively.

Just read through the whole thread again. Really amazing!! Great stuff!

Your facilities are almost maxed out now so potentially you can get really good regens now :)

Do other teams make any offers for your star players? What is the highest bid received thus far?

Unbelievable stuff!

Thanks Jamie :)

Amazing, how you are doing this is beyond me. Well done, superb

Cheers flash :) i think its Terenzi and Fiorini!

Nice progress and well done on making the KO rounds again.

Cheers :)

Just read through the whole thread again. Really amazing!! Great stuff!

Your facilities are almost maxed out now so potentially you can get really good regens now :)

Do other teams make any offers for your star players? What is the highest bid received thus far?

Glad you are enjoying the read! Our training and youth facilities are now superb will help the rate of development. Our exception junior coaching is great, its just the basic recruitment thats holding us back now.

Ive got most players on reject all offers so i dont really see the bids, but they are all rubbish (less than 50k). However fast forward a year and we have just lost a key player to a release clause I didnt realise was there :(

Followed this for a while now, and the fast progress you're making is excellent. How long does it typically take you to complete a season out of interest?

Thanks draycott. I use the instant result skin for our domestic games so it takes 4-6 hours to complete a season. Sometimes i do this solid (even 2 seasons in one sitting) but normally an hour here and there.

Ive got two NT updates and a season update to come, though i have a busy weekend away so this may not be until Sunday/Monday.

San Marino National Team 2027

1YDXaKB.png

We had a qualifying campaign that exceeded all expectations. We got two big wins against the Faroe Islands, picked up two draws against Georgia, a point against Finland and a home win against Sweden. However the biggest result was against Belgium at home.

scyULKU.png

6crXCNo.png

o3EXAp5.png

It was a truly incredible result that shocked San Marino, Europe and the footballing World. Belgium were ranked 8th in the World with many world class talents. As you can see from the match stats, we truly deserved the win - it was not a smash and grab result.

9vLWeyy.png

Despite the very good points tally, we ended up finishing 4th in a very tight group. I thought our dream of reaching the European Championships was over, however I soon got a news item to say we would be in the play-offs! Must have been due to winning our Nations League group. We would be facing Cyprus in the semi-final, a decent side but one we could get a result against.

FC_Fiorentino_logo.png

Youth Intake 2028

FcbsGlQ.png

Finally a decent intake!! :D

v0CaBIM.png

Stefano is one of the best players to come through in a long time. In terms of our system, he would be brilliant as a shadow striker or defensive forward and he will provide another option/cover for Muhammad Ali and Terenzi.

Zafferani 28B - a decent keeper prospect with good handling and a professional personality.

Gasperoni 28C - a winger with pace and flair.

Landucci 28D - worth a tag because he could become a good backup DM.

Europa Knockout Stages

b810e3c5f8ae790b161e67fb95384eff.png

We battled well but CSKA were too strong, especially defensively. It's still great to be even getting to this position!

3-0 against Belgium is ridiculous! Good luck in the Playoffs, with the way you did in that campaign you could actually do this!

It was a crazy result, I have no idea how we played so well and they played so poorly. Play-offs to come.

Road to Euro '28

Tzg9szM.png

This was a real exciting, intense game. We took the lead early on through Serie A starlet Vannucci, but this was cancelled out just 8 minutes later. A crucial goal just before half time was tucked away by all-time top scorer Terenzi. We look like we were going to hold on to the lead, but Cyprus finished off a wonderful team move. Nevertheless, Vannucci puled the strings again providing a lobbed pass into the box which was half-volleyed home by Andrea Fiorini. It was a fantastic moment, we were into the Play-off final!

7nsBZCq.png

Considering we could have faced Holland or Ukraine, I was delighted to be drawn against Georgia. We know them well after drawing with them twice in the qualifying group. It wasn't going to be easy, but a real chance.

JBn6kfW.png

Our defence played the best game of their lives! Georgia kept on knocking on the door but we blocked, saved or deflected all of their 19 efforts. A rebound from a free-kick and a wonderful counter goal was enough to win the game. We had done it! San Marino would be competing in Euro 2028!

pMvQjV2.png

0lUyUJ1.png

I was always expecting a tough draw and this could have been worse. From a personal point of view, I was delighted to be drawn into Group A with host nation England, who we will face first. Bring it on Europe :D

Archived