Portugal - Euro 2016

Baptista_8

--------Quaresma-------Ronaldo---------------------

André Gomes---Moutinho---Danilo----João Mário

Guerreiro---Pepe---Ricardo Carvalho---Vieirinha

-------------------Patrício-----------------------------

This is what I'm expecting. Likely Eliseu in for Guerreiro in the tougher matches. Not so sure Moutinho is hanging on to that midfield spot neither, he's not on good form. Adrien would be first in line to replace him.

I think André Gomes isn't going out of the starting 11, but Fernando Santos has chopped and changed a lot and everything is possible.

So I was almost spot on, only change is Nani in for Quaresma because Quaresma is injured.

Does Dreadlockinho deserve a spot in the starting eleven?

Depends on the formation.

In a 4132 like against Iceland, I think he should start because Moutinho doesn't currently have the fitness to hold that role of centre mid. Late to attack, late to defend.

In a 433 like yesterday, Moutinho and J. Mário control the midfield better (not much of a fan of A. Gomes).

But R. Sanches is different from all the other midfielders, so can always be useful depending on the situation. Can run from goal to goal with the ball without anyone catching him, useful when counter-attacking against the better teams. Hope he gets the chance to play them.

• 2 weeks later...
Cedric not first choice right back then?
None is great. Cédric crosses better, Vieirinha better technique/dribbling. Both can't defend.
I reckon Vieirinha is ahead of him, but again, you can't really tell for sure.
thankfully not. Shouldn't even be at Euro. Such an average player.

Portugal have improved defensively since Fonte and Cedric were added to the starting XI in the last 16, quarter final & semi final.

It wasn't looking good without them in the group stages.

Cedric is average at best, but sadly because I always liked him a lot, Vieirinha's adaptation to right-back hasn't become a better alternative. He's also crap so Cedric's the lesser evil.

Fonte is a quality CB and it's a shame he's only arriving to the national team at this stage of his career.

For the kind of work both have been doing(Cedric and Vieirinha), and the kind of mistakes both have done, Andre Almeida would have been a much better option.

Cedric won't get any better than this. Average at best.

[video=youtube;_JbZHiRfmwA]

José Fonte is decent, but we need better. Slow and not agile. If he faces a pacey agile striker he will have nightmares. I'm guessing as soon as Ruben Semedo becomes more focused in the game, he will be the obvious option from the ones available. Ilori is dead for football.

Cedric won't get any better than this.

Why would you write him off for a misjudgement of a bounce? Apart from that mistake he has been very solid defensively and an attacking threat in his three games in this tournament. Bale was pretty ineffective when trying to get past him tonight.

José Fonte is decent, but we need better. Slow and not agile. If he faces a pacey agile striker he will have nightmares.

He faces fast high quality strikers all the time in the Premier League, he doesn't have nightmares about them. He is the leader & key player of one of the best defensive records in the Premier League over the last 3 years.

Cedric isn't an attacking threat, he's just someone that crosses a lot. Usually badly.

He put in some good crosses tonight, offered width, a lot of pace and overlapping options. He also defensively stopped Gareth Bale getting past him on multiple occasions.

I think you are both being very harsh on him, Claude Puel should be able to develop him further next season.

He has his limitations, but other than that big error against Poland he did ok. He crosses well, but rarely finds himself in a position where they can be dangerous. I'd like someone better though. Lacks composure when playing from the back and gets closed down.

I'm convinced he will loose the place to J. Cancelo or N. Semedo or Ricardo or someone else by the time of next world cup.

Why would you write him off for a misjudgement of a bounce? Apart from that mistake he has been very solid defensively and an attacking threat in his three games in this tournament. Bale was pretty ineffective when trying to get past him tonight.

Maybe because i've known him since ages, and he isn't very good at defending. Attacking was his best quality, but he doesn't seem to be placing a single decent cross out of 200 he has made so far.

He faces fast high quality strikers all the time in the Premier League, he doesn't have nightmares about them. He is the leader & key player of one of the best defensive records in the Premier League over the last 3 years.

Every time he has faced a fast player in this euro, he was passed by easily, the couple of times that he has stopped them, was because he dove and thankfully ended the play or tackled the ball for corner (which isn't even a good solution for a team full of midgets)

I'm sorry but he's just very slow and not agile at all. He can handle strong, tall players like british type of players, but against latin kind, he will suffer a lot.

He would be a natural 4th option if it wasn't for Bruno Alves red card vs England in the friendly match. Yesterday Bruno Alves was the best of them.

Portugal improved a lot mainly for Renato and Adrien being starters rather than Cedric or José Fonte.

The lack of pace by Fonte (or Ricardo Carvalho) is one of the main reasons why we're playing with such a deep defensive line all tournament. That helps mask the issue and with this setup it's not as big of a problem.

Bruno Alves looked poor yesterday. One of his clearances which was hit hopefully straight out to a Wales winger? Looked shaky.

True, it happens, but he's a very aggressive player, who attacks the ball at first chance. On the other hand, José Fonte is very static and awaits the ball to get into him. Not a big fan of players like that.

Do you guys think there is any chance Ronaldo will retire from international football after this tournament? I really hope not.

He just said that still has plenty to offer for the Portuguese National Teams, and doesn't plan to quit.

Do you guys think there is any chance Ronaldo will retire from international football after this tournament? I really hope not.
I doubt it, the way that beast keeps fit, and that 8foot leap he did ...I reckon he has a few years in him yet. Portugal need him as well, I reckon he's a more natural leader than Messi is, and over the last few years, I've had an increasing amount of respect for him. Never liked him at United, his first few years at Madrid did nothing for me. Its these last 2 years that something about his ability to motivate a team that's piqued my interest.

Are you kidding me, with his obsession for records I reckon we're going to have a problem when he's not good enough anymore and just won't throw in the towel at the age of 40. :D

I'm just loving all the bitter guys swallowing their hate :lol:

Portugal currently is u17 European Champions, u19 and u21 Vice Champion and senior european champions. We should be a little more respected.

Do not forget we are one of the smallest european countries ;)

Archived