The Dam Busters - Wide Diamonds

Example against Atletico Madrid away. With no changes they had 4 clear cut chances in the first half all from runners onto through balls. We were 1-1 luckily at half time regardless.

Changed to 1 lower defensive line which completely cut out Atletico and I wont onto win 4-1 and they didn't manage a further shot in the second half

The first 2 tactics are slightly higher, the 3rd is higher as tested against the best. Usually higher is better as a defensive tactic denying space when attacked. I did use slightly higher Dambusters with Spurs but higher with Man City. If playing Arsenal I drop to deeper, may also apply to Aston Villa who always cause me problems.

Try both defenders on cover and use balanced average with defensive match prep. Works for me. I'm actually on for the 20 game clean sheet achievement which I didn't think possible again

Great at home but poor away from home, lost 4 of the last 5, all by one goal, yet at home I'm scoring 3-4-5 a game.

Don't get me wrong, I love your tactics Knap. Used your Oxford tactic with (ironically) Cambridge to get them into the Championship.

Wasn't really happy with the lack of input from the striker in that tactic though so have started using your Dam Busters Extreme, no OI's.

Very happy with the tactic at home but I concede for fun away.

Have switched to two covering CB's and training as suggested above and will see how that pans out.

I would probably go back to Dam Busters, as based on Oxford and used for 2 seasons, if the CB tweak does not work.

In theory Extra should be better defensively and is working with IFs against the top teams.

• 4 weeks later...

I made some changes to the "Extra Extreme" version to suit my squad and the results have been remarkably good.

My squad has the talent to challenge for the title as long as we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot tactically, but with this tactic we're a juggernaut: 30+ game unbeaten runs, going 10+ games without conceding, winning a treble, winning the Premier league with over 100 points.

During the current season I'm in January having played 22-23 league games, scored 60+ and conceded a measly four.

Main changes:

AMC is now MC (roaming playmaker)

DMC changed to halfback

Opposition Instructions - add show onto weaker foot for opponent's WB L/R and D L/R

Team Instruction - change to whipped crosses

In match I'm pretty hands off unless we're narrowly winning late on. Usually switch the wingbacks to defend and team instructions to counter. Maybe sub off a forward for a second MC and switch to contain in the very last minutes.

On the rare occasions the offense feels stagnant I might switch the faster of the two strikers to advanced forward or poacher.

Archived