Know how LVG feels

Just realised I've now played 16 games with United in Season 1 and only won 4 of them and just been held at home to bottom club Watford. The game is surprisingly realistic. Much like LVG in real life, the signs don't look good for me as I linger in 10th place with all the usual tough fixtures coming up.

What I'd like to know is, how can I improve my tactical analysis in the game? I know there's a load of data I could look at to get insight but none of it means anything to me. If I look at avg. position I just go 'the team played slightly deeper/wider'... great. If I look at the stats I go they had more possession, we had less shots... that's the extent of my analysis.

I have no idea how to improve this, mainly because in FM its very hard to get to the WHY but you get a lot of the who, what, where, whens and it's these things which mean very little to me.

Despite having a good team on paper, my defence resembles a leaky bucket and even looking at the stats I can't find a culprit. The only insight I've got is that I'm conceding way too many placed shots and I don't even know what to do with this information.

I'm still very much in the mode of just picking the team and pressing play and making the subs when I want to strategically beat teams instead of just over powering them.

I have about 14 instructions for my team, most of which my assistant told me to do so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'm aiming for a tight defence with great attack (as is everyone) but I have no idea where to start in analysing how to do this.

Can someone please give me some tips on how to move towards a more strategic game plan?

Thanks

Have a read of this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

There's no consistent, solid advice that people can give without knowing exactly what you're doing (hence the link above). 14 instructions is about 10 too many if you don't know what you're doing. I suggest you read the Team Instructions bit of the stickied Lines and Diamonds thread, digest it and decide how you actually want to play, and then post back in here with the required information.

I'm doing some reading at the moment about tactics - using the links in the top part of the forum.

What I'm wondering is is there a sort of sandbox environment where I can play a series of matches against teams with particular tactics e.g. park the bus, high pressers, long ball football, LVG style possession football to work out how to play against them in the real game?

Is there any sort of school environment where it walks you through how to use the tactics in game for specific situations either as a video, an existing save or an interactive website?

Thanks

Your record with United is still better than I ever seem to manage... but I'm very defensive-minded, and never make any signings at the start of the game. (Disable first window budgets etc.)

Hope you have more success after reading the tactic stickies, I haven't so far.

Your record with United is still better than I ever seem to manage... but I'm very defensive-minded, and never make any signings at the start of the game. (Disable first window budgets etc.)

Hope you have more success after reading the tactic stickies, I haven't so far.

Thanks.

From reading about the tactics I've learnt:

Keep things very simple to begin with but have your own style of play e.g. for United this could be play wider, push higher up and slightly quicker.

Then watch the match in full for the first 15 mins to see how your style suits the match you're playing in and make any adjustments from there using the match shouts.

Rather than do what I do and what the game encourages through the ass man shouts, is to focus on how you're attacking rather than how the other team are. So much of the time I'm adjusting to how the other team is playing rather than asserting my own style, even if I am winning (which is rare).

Depending on the team you're playing look to exploit the space in different ways. A defensive team like Shrewsbury last night in the cup can drop very deep to not give much space between the backline and the GK which is why Martial struggled to impact the match. So you can think creatively around this by either going deep yourself to set up a stalemate and tempt the oppo out of their lines, then exploit the space. Or as United did fairly well last night is push right up but play in front of the oppositions' back line and try to win free kicks and score from long shots and creative moves.

There's always a root cause of something happening and an opportunity cost. Having your centre mid man mark will drag him out of position but then this could stifle the oppo or mean you're sacrificing your structure as the player you're man marking could be having an off day/less impact than normal.

What I've learnt is that it's all about being very strategic and waiting for your opportunity to attack to emerge and then executing it. I've been playing in 'attack mode' where I just expect my players to pick up the ball and run instead of planning the match and responding to it as it goes.

Just realised I've now played 16 games with United in Season 1 and only won 4 of them and just been held at home to bottom club Watford. The game is surprisingly realistic. Much like LVG in real life, the signs don't look good for me as I linger in 10th place with all the usual tough fixtures coming up.

Except compared to LVG you're massively underpaid :)

Archived