'Roam from Position' TI and PI

I just had a quick question regarding the relationship between the 'Roam from Position' team instruction and player instruction, and I am hoping one of those 'in the know' of the inner workings of FM will have an answer. I think I may have seen someone suggest an answer before, but wanted confirmation.

So, if I select 'roam from position' as a team instruction, does adding 'roam from position' as a player instruction have any effect whatsoever?

Plenty of other TIs/PIs stack, of course, but I can see why this may not.

However, I can also see how it could - I wouldn't imagine 'roam from position' as a TI necessarily implies 'go anywhere', but rather increases the range in which a player can roam of his own accord. Adding the PI, then, would further increase that range, allowing a larger zone of 'roaming' effectively.

So anyway, I am sure there is a definitive answer to this question, so rather than speculating I thought I'd ask.

As far as I know this TI doesn't stack because there is only 1 range to roam from position, it's either all or nothing. All the PI or TI does is instruct the player that he is allowed to roam from his natural position that you've set.

As far as I know this TI doesn't stack because there is only 1 range to roam from position, it's either all or nothing. All the PI or TI does is instruct the player that he is allowed to roam from his natural position that you've set.

If the role has "Hold Position" and the Team has "Roam from Position", which wins?

Ta..... I thought it would, but it's nice to get it clarified (for everyone)

Just be more clear, because roam is an all or nothing instruction and so is hold position- he either does or doesn't- the PI will take precedence. If you took something like dribble more or less, as an example, it would work differently. You can tell the team to dribble more, and then ask the player to dribble less, it stacks so the dribble less moves him back to a "neutral" dribbling. Thus it isn't necessarily a case of specific to general.

Just be more clear, because roam is an all or nothing instruction and so is hold position- he either does or doesn't- the PI will take precedence. If you took something like dribble more or less, as an example, it would work differently. You can tell the team to dribble more, and then ask the player to dribble less, it stacks so the dribble less moves him back to a "neutral" dribbling. Thus it isn't necessarily a case of specific to general.

Probably just me (and I've probably asked this before, back in the days of sliders), but with the 'three point sliders', which comes first TI of PI? As in, if the value X=-1 with a range of -1...+1 (for X), you take the -1 first and then +1 you end up with 0, but with +1 first and -1 then you end up with value of -1. But then again if you take the -1 with the +1 in () then it doesn't make any difference (soz for the math) :)

-SnUrF

Probably just me (and I've probably asked this before, back in the days of sliders), but with the 'three point sliders', which comes first TI of PI? As in, if the value X=-1 with a range of -1...+1 (for X), you take the -1 first and then +1 you end up with 0, but with +1 first and -1 then you end up with value of -1. But then again if you take the -1 with the +1 in () then it doesn't make any difference (soz for the math) :)

-SnUrF

FM isn't maths and isn't complicated. Neither comes first, but TIs and PIs "stack" in most cases (apart from things like Roaming, which is an on/off switch).

-SnUrF

It doesn't matter ultimately, as the result ends the same. A PI of +1 and a TI of +1 in a given situation equals neutral/zero however you define it. I don't think any funky math is at work here, as X should always be the baseline setting of "0" which would translate in FM terms to mixed/sometimes. And just to reiterate, this is true so long as the instruction isn't binary on/off as it is for roaming or hold position for example. Of course we don't see exactly what calculations are being worked out under the hood, but I would be greatly surprised if it worked any other way than I've just described based on what we know from working with the ME and comments from SI folks.

EDIT: RT beat me to it and with much more brevity- what was it that Shakespeare said about that . . . ?

Archived