What can we do against teams with extremely good players playing balanced tactics

j929tw.jpg

That's the system I am using but in this thread I want to discuss in general what do you do when facing a team with world class players with a solid tactical shape.

To give an example, in my current save, the two best teams in the premier are chelsea and manchester united. Both have amazing world class players, especially in offense but not only.

Chelsea plays with what I call a psycho tactic, it feels like a overload 4-2-4. The first time I faced them with my normal tactic I was destroyed, because I would get many chances to counter against them, and every time they would be so good at tackling that MY counter would result in THEIR very direct counter, which proved to be deadly.

The next time though, it was easy to just put half team on holding on a structured shape with the other half on attack and high press duty, and I actually served them their own medicine. Their very good forwards would keep receiving very long and direct passes and didn't manage to do much because they had absolutely no support behind them.

United instead plays a 4-4-1-1. Very patient controlling game, and they are so good when on ball, that we can't manage to recover it no matter what, and their world class players can play through my defense like it was made of butter, they can dribble through like it was nothing with consistency, every time they get the ball near the box I feel like they are going to score.

Even using the best markers I have to man mark their most dangerous forwards is no use, they shake them off easily.

Obviously against a better team you are always going to be at a disadvantage, but if there are times when I feel that either my tactics have glaring issues, or the opponent tactics can be exploited, what do you do when your opponent seems to have no weakness and your tactics doesn't work no matter what you do?

Archived