FM 16: Sheffield Wednesday - Carlos had a dream!

Jonnyowl

Welcome to the Sheffield Wednesday F.C. Team Thread

371px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg.png

Club Details

Team Name: Sheffield Wednesday

Nickname: The Owls

Year Founded: 1867

Chariman: Dejphon Chansiri

Current Manager: Carlos Carvalhal

Club Captain: Glen Loovens

Vice Captain: Jose Semedo

League: Championship

Media Prediction: 13th

A bit of history

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club is a football club in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England who play in the Championship, the second tier of the English leagues. Sheffield Wednesday are one of the oldest professional clubs in the world and the third oldest in the English league.

The Wednesday, as they were known until 1929, were founding members of The Football Alliance in 1889 and its first champions. They joined The Football League three years later and were also one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992. Since joining the Football League in 1892, the club has spent most of its history in the top flight of English football but have not played at this level since being relegated in 2000. The Owls have historically been one of England's more successful clubs, and have won four League titles, three FA Cups and one League Cup. Wednesday have also competed at European level, most notably in the UEFA Cup in 1992-93.

The 2014–15 season saw Wednesday welcome a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m. The Owls also enjoyed their highest league finish since relegation to League One, reaching 13th place in the Championship, matching the club's clean sheet record in the process. Chansiri stated his aim to get Wednesday back in the Premier League by 2017, the year of the club's 150th anniversary. Along with replacing Gray with Portuguese coach Carlos Carvalhal, he invested heavily in the club's facilities and playing squad, with players such as Fernando Forestieri and Marco Matias arriving for seven-figure sums.

Hillsborough

Since 1899, Sheffield Wednesday have played home matches at Hillsborough Stadium in the north-western suburb of Owlerton, hence their nickname The Owls. Hillsborough is currently an all-seater ground with a capacity of 39,812.

sheffieldwednesday_aerial2.jpg

Facilities

Corporate Facilities: Average

Training Facilities: Impressive training facilities

Youth Facilities: Adequate

Youth Level: 2

Junior Coaching: Average

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

Club Finances

Estimated Value: £39m (loan debt: £2.1m)

Balance: £2.75m

Finances: Okay

Transfer Budget: £4M

Wage Budget: £303k (Currently £275k)

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Kieran Westwood, Joe Wildsmith, Lewis Price, Cameron Dawson

Kieran Westwood will be undoubtedly be number 1 and with good reason, he was voted in the PFA Championship team of the year and is amongst the best goalkeepers in the division. Joe Widlsmith has potential and has already been called into the England U21 squad this season. Lewis Price signed in the summer on a free transfer and is more than a capable backup should you decide to let Wildsmith go out on loan. Cameron Dawson, another youngster with potential but not as much as Wildsmith, probably worth sending out on loan for a season.

Right Backs

Jack Hunt, Liam Palmer

A close choice as to who will be first choice right back. Both have very similar attributes. Palmer has the better technical ones but Hunt has better mental and physical attributes. Jack Hunt is a more natural fullback whereas Palmer is more suited to a wing back role.

Left Backs

Daniel Pudil, Rhoys Wiggins

Just like the right backs another close one as to who will be first choice, both natural full backs and attributes are very similar. Jeremy Helan and Claude Dielna can also play left back should you get injuries. I would play the player in form.

Centre Backs

Tom Lees, Glen Loovens, Michael Turner, Vincient Sasso, Darryl Lachman, Claude Dielna

Tom Lees, Glen Loovens and Michael Turner are all very good championship centre backs. I would say its Tom Lees plus one of the other two. There is nothing to choose between Loovens and Turner attributes wise, though Loovens is the club captain and the scouts say he's the best player in the game. Lachman is fourth choice. Dielna is probably surplus to requirements and Sasso is not needed but is on a season long loan, so you could either terminate the loan or sell Dielna.

Right Midfielders and Right Wingers

Marco Matias, Modou Sougou,

These two are more attacking wingers than right sided midfield players. Matias comes with a reputation of scoring goals (17 league goals in Portugal's top flight last season) and with a value of £5.5m is the most valued player in the squad. He is going to be your first choice. Sougou is also an attacking winger but not as good as Matias. Bannan and Palmer are more conventional right sided midfield players but this is not their natural position but if you want to play more defensively then Palmer may be a good option.

Left Midfielders and Left Wingers

Wallace, Helan

Two different players here, Wallace can play naturally wide left and attacking left where as Helan is a left back turned left midfielder. Wallace is very good at set pieces so you will want him taking corners and free kicks. Helan has pace and is more defensive than Wallace. Bannan can also play left midfield and has good attributes as a winger. Matias can also play as an attacking left, but would be better suited as an inside forward if played on the let.

Central Midfielders

Kieran Lee, Sam Hutchinson, Jose Semedo, Lewis McGugan, Alex Lopez, Felipe Melo, Barry Bannan

Hutchinson, Semedo and Melo are the defensive midfielders and whilst there is not that much to choose from Hutchinson and Semedo, Hutchinson is considerably better at passing. Melo is third choice defensive midfielder, but his attributes are more suited to a deep lying playmaker but with this wold make him 7th choice midfielder. Kieran Lee, Lewis McGugan and Alex Lopez can all play as a deep lying playmaker and there is not much to choose from between Lee and McGugan. Lopez I more of an attacking playmaker. Bannan can either play as a deep at attacking playmaker, he can also play on either wing so a good option to have. Looking at his attributes he's probably best as either an attacking playmaker or a left winger.

A lot of different options to have in central midfield and finding out the best will take time. If you are playing two in midfield its I would say Hutchinson then either Lee or McGugan. McGugan does have slightly better physical attributes which may be a consideration in the Championship. If your playing 3 central midfielders then I would play Hutchinson, Lopez and then either Lee or McGugan to give a balance.

Strikers

Fernando Forestieri, Lucas Joao, Atdhe Nuhiu, Sergiu Bus

Forestieri scored all the time against us for Watford so hopefully he can score for the Owls. He should be first choice probably as a false nine, though you could play him in the attacking midfield role as a attacking playmaker. He along with Matias will be the more creative players in side. Joao is probably the best out and out striker in the squad played as either a target man or a poacher. He's young quick and strong with potential. Nuhui is going to be back up to Joao, better at heading but that's about it. Bus attributes are similar to Joao's which surprised me, he's can either play as a target man or advanced forward. Bus has not been given a chance under the new manager but probably worth keeping as 3rd choice.

Transfer Targets

Before you sign players it might be a good idea to let some go. I would definitely try to offload, Dielna, Melo and probably Nuhui if you can sign another striker. The squad is quite large and not much to choose from between the players so signing a lot of players is not needed. I do think that an attacking left midfielder and a striker with a high finishing attribute should be the priorities.

Julian Green or Johnathan Obita may be good options for an attacking left player.

As for the strikers you might be able to get Dwight Gayle depending on the asking price, other wise there is Kyle Lafferty or maybe Sam Vokes.

With loans ending at the end of the first season, more players maybe required for the second season. two full backs and a centre back will be needed as well as offloading players that haven't performed.

Why Sheffield Wednesday?

Same as always really, can you awaken a sleeping giant. A good size stadium and potential plus there is always the challenge of getting a team promoted from the Championship to the Premier League and keeping them there. The difference on FM16 compared to previous version is that, Wednesday have a big squad with a lot of players of similar quality and a chairman who is prepared to put his money where is mouth is.

Enjoy being The Owls!

What do you think a reasonable ambition for season 1 would be?

hmmm... When I had a team meeting at the beginning of the season, I said we could make playoffs and none of the players thought that. The chairman wants a mid table finish which should be easily achievable so I don't think the pressure would be on. There's no reason why play offs can't be achieved, but that's probably the same for about 18 clubs in the championship.

I've signed Gayle, but its taken a large chunk of my budget to do so.

Any ideas for a decent tactic that will suit the current players?

I have just signed Gayle.

4-2-3-1

With Gayle upfront and Forestieri behind him.

or

4-3-2-1

bit negative but keeps control of ball in midfield.

I'm midway through my second Owls season already and sit 8th in the premiership. Only really got Lees, Helam and Matthias playing still. Still have Lee, Bannan, Palmer, Forestieri and Wilsmtih in the squad but none of them are really getting a look in.

Started a save with Wednesday, think this one has real potential on this FM. Squad is huge to start with, unfortunately there is too much deadwood that is proving difficult to ship out.

Set my expectation for play-offs, and got a budget of £5.25m which is very good going. Managed to get these -

Patrick Ekeng - Free

Kristoffer Ajer - £1.3m

Quique - £1.3m

Guillermo Varela - £500k

Vegard Forren - £625k

Only managed to get rid of Bus, Nuhiu, and Hobbs for a combined fee of £1.16m.

On my save i sold Nuhiu for 1m to Brighton and Stobbs for 1.9m to Swansea and Bus is my top scorer with 7 goals in 6 games with an average rating of 7.85 playing him as a TMS with Joao as an advanced forward then instruct them to swap position in game Joao has 4 goals and 4 assists with an average rating of 7.30.

Started a Wednesday save, excellent Pre Season unbeaten and won first game against Bristol City 3-1 with Joao getting a Hat Trick on debut, playing a 4231 control at home and 4123 counter away, Joao as a TM(S) with Forestieri playing as a Shadow Striker just behind him, Jack Hunt excellent as a Attacking Full Back providing lots of assists. Can't seem to get Kieran Lee playing well, playing with transfer budgets off so have current squad until Jan, have lost Wallace and Nuhiu to injury, retraining Helan to play AML.

I've taken Wednesday up in the first season, and am now an established top 10 Premier League side in season 3. Took some opportunistic loan signings in the first season, and a total overhaul of the squad following promotion. The big thing I've noticed is that the chairman has gone cash crazy, he keeps throwing money at me. Tens of millions of pounds. I've had my budget increased by £30m a go twice this season, and once the season before.

Just finished my second season, first in Prem.

Finished 3rd with 78 points and also won FA cup.

Bony and Atsu were my star performers socring 18 goals each.

Willian made a big difference in second half of season.

Been given £80m to spend.

Had offers for Oscar, Ozil and Stones accepted but can't get close to them on wages.

Just signed Butland for £2.7m after stoke were relegated.

• 3 weeks later...

Promoted to the Premiership in the first season, beating Bristol City 5-1 in the playoff final. Dwight Gayle scored something like 28 goals, while I also had Abdelhak Nouri on loan from Ajax. Craig Gardener came in on loan and scored a crucial 9 goals in the final 19 games of the season.

Now in the PL, floundering at the bottom with 2 wins in 19 games. However, I've just been given £41 million to spend by Mr Chansiri, so I've brought in Wojech Szchesny, Sam Byram, Charlie Taylor (both Leeds), Leonardo Uchoa and Siem de Jong. Need results urgently, but the chairman has been pretty patient so far, no warnings about losing my job... yet.

• 1 month later...

Started up a game with Sheff Wed

Promoted Hirst to the first team (so he gets first team training - with full playing time instructed for the U18)

Helan, Turner (loan terminated) and Loovens gone

Steve Harper (free) - Rodrigo Bentancur (Boca £3.4m) - Emmanuel Mammana (River £7.75m) in

Money well spend - Game on...

Started up a game with Sheff Wed

Promoted Hirst to the first team (so he gets first team training - with full playing time instructed for the U18)

Helan, Turner (loan terminated) and Loovens gone

Steve Harper (free) - Rodrigo Bentancur (Boca £3.4m) - Emmanuel Mammana (River £7.75m) in

Money well spend - Game on...

Ryan Gauld (Sporting loan) was brought in before the deadline - Nuhiu was sold off to Brighton at half price

---

9 games in - 2nd after Hull - 6-2-1 record so far

Ryan Gauld (Sporting loan) was brought in before the deadline - Nuhiu was sold off to Brighton at half price

---

9 games in - 2nd after Hull - 6-2-1 record so far

Promotion achieved - finished the season in 2nd after Wolves

I've been given £24m to make the squad into a EPL standard squad - Going to need 1-2 class strikers - so naturally I've made 2 defenders and a central midfielders my prime targets

Promotion achieved - finished the season in 2nd after Wolves

I've been given £24m to make the squad into a EPL standard squad - Going to need 1-2 class strikers - so naturally I've made 2 defenders and a central midfielders my prime targets

Reason that I kind of need a star striker

vd1pus.png

(Bus also had 9 before being sold, and Foresttiere had 4)

A long long way from the 32 goals that Le Fondre put in for fellow promoted team Wolves

Reason that I kind of need a star striker

vd1pus.png

(Bus also had 9 before being sold, and Foresttiere had 4)

A long long way from the 32 goals that Le Fondre put in for fellow promoted team Wolves

First players role in at Hillsborough

Not much for sending money to a rival, but to take 3 English players - two of them certain England Internationals in the making - just had to be done, if I hadn't done that I'm sure that bigger clubs would have

24wvwvn.png

First players role in at Hillsborough

Not much for sending money to a rival, but to take 3 English players - two of them certain England Internationals in the making - just had to be done, if I hadn't done that I'm sure that bigger clubs would have

24wvwvn.png

Wave 2 has arrived

First Targett prolonged his stay loan stay for another year - backup for Taylor, then

x5nrd1.png

and

34t7ont.png

Wave 3 should include minumum one striker, one central defender and a backup dmc

• 3 weeks later...

Just started a Sheffield Wednesday save, and after two pre-season friendlies, Ross Wallace breaks his leg and is out for 6 to 7 months... Now I definitely need a new AML. Trying to get Aarons in on loan, but might go for another one as well, if the right one becomes available.

Edit: And now Alex Lopez for 5 weeks, just before the first match of the season. This is going great.

I've signed Dwight Gayle for £3,2 million and Rolando Aarons on loan for the season.

Looking at this thread, I find it very hard to believe that somo of you got £20 mil plus for transfers in the second season. I'm in my first season, I've secured promotion with 7 games left, I'm in the semifinal of the FA Cup, but I'm still 5 million in the red. Club finances has gone from "Okay" to "Insecure". I very much doubt I'll get anything for transfers when next season starts.

My initial budget is set at £8 million... I'm going to get relegated :/

I've been given £18-21 million every time I've been promoted with Wednesday. Which is a lot because I get bored of saves very quickly!

In one season I was even given £9 million to spend in the first January window.

Well, I might eat my own Words, 'cause the projected transferbudget for season 2 currently stands at £27 million.

Must be do to my team securing the Championship title, and reaching the FA Cup semi-finale.

So got promoted and even won the FA Cup!

Then I get £9 million in transfers. Screw that.

just started a save with wednesday and found your tread great. im wondering what tactics you were using first season. ive had great results with forest in fm15 but arent quite doing it in 16

• 1 month later...
I've been given £18-21 million every time I've been promoted with Wednesday. Which is a lot because I get bored of saves very quickly!

In one season I was even given £9 million to spend in the first January window.

I can understand your post here.

In my network save with my mate, I've just been offered the Wednesday job, two months into second season after they finished 16th and then are 22nd when I've picked them up. They're haemorrhaging money but I can't understand where from. By the end of the season they'd gone from -£1,500,000 to -£7,000,000. With just one signing, we finished 9th, 1pt outside the play-offs.

The chairman has put in £14,000,000 to stabilise the club, but transfer budget wise, I've been given £200,000. Yay.

I finished my 1st season with Wednesday on 99points and only signings were Mcgeady Perm & Pilkington, Just signed Rojo & a German centre half ready for next season and made Pudil a Perm.

Hooper & Joao rotated upfront and were quality as was Fessi in AM.

• 3 months later...

I have one going at the minute. 1st season finished 15th after being in playoff contention up until February. Second season. 13th at Christmas but now in March shot up to third. Not really made any transfers apart from bringing in Capel from Sporting Lisbon? (I think) and Tommy Smith from Ipswich.

6 hours ago, Georgex said:

I have one going at the minute. 1st season finished 15th after being in playoff contention up until February. Second season. 13th at Christmas but now in March shot up to third. Not really made any transfers apart from bringing in Capel from Sporting Lisbon? (I think) and Tommy Smith from Ipswich.

What tactic are you using? Do you think that the players in the first season are more suited to a possession based style or more direct (with wingers).

My tactical knowledge is pretty hopeless. But I use a 4231 with (hopefully) the ball being fed to Joao early and him playing it in to Forestieri (my AM/A) and Matias (W/A). Forestieri scored 17 goals and Matias 13 in the first season. It was defence where I struggled. But I think playing direct is the best way because I don't think the central midfield is strong enough to play with a lot of the ball. 

I went with a defensive structured(with max closing down) 4-4-1-1 which won me the league in my 1st season. It's always safety 1st pass to ensure we dominate the ball possession in most of our games, LVG style but with a bit more punch in creating chances and scoring.

Position/Role

GK - Westwood

DR(WBS) - Hunter

DC - Lees and Hutchinson

DL(WBS) - Pudil

MR(WMA) - Mathias

MC(DLPD, DLPS) - Bannan and Lee

ML(WA) - Wallace/McGready

AMC(AMA) - Forestieri

S(CFS) - Hooper/Joao

Will get some stats up later.

Well same again, 4th with five games left. Lost every game conceding 17 goals. Finished 11th. I even tried a more defensive tactic the last two games. I just have no consistency with the team at all. They either play like Barcelona or a Sunday League team.

Managed to win promotion on 2nd in the last day of the season so Sheff Wed are back in the Premier League. 10 games into the season and we're sitting on 9th, but there's a lot of work ahead to make sure the club is a stable Premier League member.

Got promoted after blowing an automatic spot and finishing in a play off spot. Didn't buy many players and went with my promoted squad more or less. Went into December with 7 points (10 points adrift of safety) and only Brighton below me in the league. Got to January and bought Kiko Casilla (GK), Calum Chambers, Gimenez (Both CBs from Arsenal) and Milik (ST) from Inter Milan. Into February and five points adrift with 22 points. Joao the only one who has really performed for me although he is now costing me £55k a week in wages. I started with a 4231 although that was quickly changed to a 4141. Any advice for a struggling Owl ?

Archived