FM16: Tottenham Hotspur - In Harry we trust

Prowl

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks DosSantosFC and edgar555

My defence has been solid, least conceded in the league in the last two seasons, just caught pogba and dybala on excellent form!

My other only real stricker is Arkadiusz Milik, happy being back up and bags 15-20 goals a season in cup games and occasional league games!

Think I'll keep kane as you say for home grown status!

I'll splash the cash on bale or coutinho and sell chadli or fischer to balance the books a little! Stoke have just been relegated so might try and get shaqiri on the cheap and look at driussi

On the lookout for a back up keeper to Lloris as Vorm got disgruntled and has been sold. What are your thoughts on Gianluigi Donnarumma from AC Milan? I have had a bid of £14m accepted and at 17 I am assuming he will be happy to play domestic cup games and warm the bench in others. Fair bit of cash but he is highly rated by the scouts and at such a young age should be good resale value.

First season finished and won the league and Europa (beating Monaco 3-0 in the final), got to the semi final of the FA Cup (lost on pens to eventual winners Stoke) and out the of the league cup in the 4th round to Arsenal (who also won that cup, as well as the Champions league). Was taken to replays in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the FA Cup which caused a massive fixture pile up towards the end of the season. I played my final 7 games over a 15 day period!!

In the league I lost two games with the first of those coming 28th Feb at home to Chelsea, the second also at home to Villa a few weeks later. Scored 75 goals and only conceded 27, helped massively by the fact I had no injuries to defenders all season.

Fans player of the season was Dembele who averaged 7.68 in all comps playing mainly as a bbm, Kane finished top scorer with 28 then Eriksen netting (and assisting) 16. Had some surprisingly good performances out of Townsend, Njie, Pritchard, Winks. The latter playing 4 games towards the end of the season as CM/DLP and getting a 7.8 avg.

Transfers were all in Jan as I always play with first window disabled.

in:

Jonathon Calleri £3.8m (7 goals in 7 starts / 12 sub app)

Breel Embolo £10m - loaned back to Basel until end of season

Youri Tielemans £13m - 21 games avg 7.18 playing either CM/DLP or CM/RMP

Kristoffer Ajer £875k - loaned to Derby

Gabriel Barbosa £21m - injured fir 9 months in first game

out:

Erik Lamela - £35m

Was gutted to sell Lamela but he wanted to go and I managed to get £35m up front from Real Madrid. I was planning to sell Chadli that window but he was superb second half of the season so no complaints. Only other disappointment is Kevin Wimmer who wanted more playing time which I assured him he would get. In total he played 28 games in all comps (avg 7.34) yet was still unhappy that this wasn't enough. All the top teams are sniffing around him despite a £25m price tag, could I get more?

So where to go from here in the market? I honestly don't know where to invest. I will need another CD when Wimmer leaves and will look to get Stones. I should probably look at strengthening the AMR position but Son and Townsend performed very well and Barbosa will be back in October. Thoughts?

I'd pay that for Donarumma.

£25m is a fair price for Wimmer. That's about what I got from PSG for him end of first season.

Good luck getting Stones, always chooses City from what I've seen. Laporte from Bilbao is better & has a £32m release clause (if he hasn't signed a new deal)

I'd pay that for Donarumma.

£25m is a fair price for Wimmer. That's about what I got from PSG for him end of first season.

Good luck getting Stones, always chooses City from what I've seen. Laporte from Bilbao is better & has a £32m release clause (if he hasn't signed a new deal)

Laporte has signed for Man Utd already. Although it doesn't look it from the transfers so far I do have a preference towards British players hence my leaning towards Stones. Will wait and see what happens with Wimmer first. Also got all the big boys sniffing around Dier, Walker, Alli, Bentaleb, Kane and Trippier. Hopefully all will be happy staying after the league win. If not may have to do a complete squad overhaul :(

Laporte has signed for Man Utd already. Although it doesn't look it from the transfers so far I do have a preference towards British players hence my leaning towards Stones. Will wait and see what happens with Wimmer first. Also got all the big boys sniffing around Dier, Walker, Alli, Bentaleb, Kane and Trippier. Hopefully all will be happy staying after the league win. If not may have to do a complete squad overhaul :(

Bizarrely I don't recall anyone ever making a bid for Alli. And I've only ever had one for Dier (City, £45m in season 2 or 3).

You should be able to keep all of them happy if you play your cards right. Personally I'd cash in on Trippier, was useless for me. And moody.

2020 Balon d'Or nominations are in. This year it contains 6 Spurs players:

Christian Eriksen

Paulo Dybala

Dele Alli

Jetro Willems

Paul Pogba

Breel Embolo

Eriksen, Alli & Willems have the highest average ratings of all candidates.

Dybala has scored 14 more goals than the 2nd highest scorer on the list (44 to Suarez 30).

Quite frankly I'll be fuming if the winner doesn't come from my team.

So I'm fuming!

Messi won the Balon d'or. Again. Ronaldo second. Again. All of my players had better ratings and won more than them. BS.

Eriksen got 3rd. Him & Willems made FIFPRO XI with Dybala, Pogba and Embolo on bench.

Bernardo Silva won the World Soccer Player of the Year, with Eriksen 3rd again. Silva plays for Dortmund, who came 5th in Bundesliga last season and won nothing. Joke. :mad:

Harsh, how long until Ronaldo retires? Failing that buy them :)

OK I have decided to invest my transfer pot on a central midfielder, specifically a DLP. Any recommendations? Looking at up to £40m and interested in Spurs won season in, albeit as champions.

Man City have bid for Alli and he got upset and asked for more money. Negotiations broke down as the agent would only accept max of £42m release fee and there is no way I am agreeing to that. Doesn't give me the option to ask for him to sack the agent yet. Failing that if I upped the agent fee next time do you think that could sway them to accept? I don't want any less than £50m release fee if there has to be one in there.

Harsh, how long until Ronaldo retires? Failing that buy them :)

OK I have decided to invest my transfer pot on a central midfielder, specifically a DLP. Any recommendations? Looking at up to £40m and interested in Spurs won season in, albeit as champions.

Man City have bid for Alli and he got upset and asked for more money. Negotiations broke down as the agent would only accept max of £42m release fee and there is no way I am agreeing to that. Doesn't give me the option to ask for him to sack the agent yet. Failing that if I upped the agent fee next time do you think that could sway them to accept? I don't want any less than £50m release fee if there has to be one in there.

They're too old to buy. Ronaldo must be close to retirement.

I always up the agent fee when they're being a dick with release fees.

DLP wise look at Kranevitter, Ruben Neves, William Carvalho or my favourite bargain DLP Lorenzo Crisetig.

They're too old to buy. Ronaldo must be close to retirement.

I always up the agent fee when they're being a dick with release fees.

DLP wise look at Kranevitter, Ruben Neves, William Carvalho or my favourite bargain DLP Lorenzo Crisetig.

I play a CM/DLP rather than DM and al of those are not rated as highly in that position. In your experience are they easy to retrain? Crisetig is not showing on my game, assume he is a bit obscure and I need to load different leagues to get him.

Oh and Alli's goal today, wow wow wow

I play a CM/DLP rather than DM and al of those are not rated as highly in that position. In your experience are they easy to retrain? Crisetig is not showing on my game, assume he is a bit obscure and I need to load different leagues to get him.

Oh and Alli's goal today, wow wow wow

Neves played MC/DLP for me no problem. Kranevitter should be cool also. Crisetig is in Italy, wouldn't have thought he'd be that obscure.

Alli's goal was unreal.

i posted the below in the bugs forum:

January 2021. Hugo Lloris is my club captain, on a key player contract and has been first choice for ever despite having quality back up. Monaco bid £15m. I reject it. He's upset that 'I haven't accepted a bid as he feels he'd be a more important member of their squad and develop his career'. We had the same discussion in summer when the same team bid for him, at that time he said give me a pay rise and I'll stay. This time he's said nothing can keep him at the club. Best I could do was convince him to see the season out.

1) He's not going to be any more important than he is for me

2) In the last 3 seasons he's won 3 PL titles, 1 CL, 2 Capital One Cups, 1 FA Cup, 1 World Club Cup. How much more can he develop his career?

I guarantee Monaco won't top his wages, we are the richest club in the world, so that's not a reason. If he wanted a new challenge there's an option for him to say that. If he was homesick and wanted to go home, there's an option for that. There is no way moving to Monaco is a good career move for him. The only clubs I'd accept as that for him (in my game world) are Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve and maybe PSG. None of those want him. No. It's a team who finished 5th in Ligue 1 and are on course for the same this year.

It should also be noted that his only favoured club is OGC Nice (supporter). Guess who their fiercest rivals are? Yep, Monaco.

The mystery deepens:

On my promises screen it says I've promised him 'the clubs stature in world football will grow'

1) We are the 4th most reputable club in world football (Juve, Barca, Real above us).

2) Monaco are 24th

3) We are the richest club in the world

4) Monaco are 20th

5) We are 2nd in co-efficients

6) Monaco are 17th

7) We are PL champs last 3 years in a row, reigning CL champs, reigning World Club Cup champs.

How much more reputable can we get? How much of a bigger club than Monaco do we need to be?

The good news is he's now told me he's happy to stay because Monaco are no longer interested.

Bentaleb :rolleyes:

He's picked up 5 injuries this season - most for under 5-10 days, but one that kept him out for a month, and all of which have meant he's needed recovery time after healing from those injuries. He's also been to the AFCON with Algeria (briefly, they were gone inside a week) and still he's complained about a lack of match time.

That's fine. I've promised him extra match time. Will Hughes broke his leg so there's more places up for grabs - if he can stay fit! He's accepted in the past that getting injured means it's hard for me to play him. The stupid thing is, he's my best DM, and I'd love to play him if I could get him in the team for more than 1 or 2 matches before he gets injured again.

He's just come barrelling into my office to demand a transfer because I broke my promise to him, but backed off in a huff when I told him he was going nowhere. Well, I say 'barrelling' - it was more hobbling as he's currently out injured with a twisted knee :lol:

3rd season comming to a close and there are 5 teams fighting for top 5 positions,i'm currently 3rd.

Champions league,just won over celtic in first knock out stage.

Domestic cups i'm out again real quick.

Left back was giving me some trouble so i bought Luke Shaw for next season,a great tutor for my 5 star regen of 17 years old.

To recover some money i'm going to sell Rose,Dembele and maybe Bentaleb and i have about 100M transferbudget left

Any suggestions of improving my team

So my team so far for next year:

Gk: Donnarumma / Dragowski

DL: Shaw / Lato / O'Leary 5 star regen

DC: Dier / Gomez / Stones / Vickers / De Ligt

DR: Passlack / Trippier

AMR: Zivkovic / Bilal / Betancur

MC: Alli / Tielemans / Bentaleb / Ajer / Dozzel / Reed / 2 5star regens

AML: Lincoln / Grealish / Townsend / 5 star regen

AMC: Eriksen / 2 5star regens

ST: Kane / Embolo / Kuki / Wilson / Romero / 5 5star regens

Kane played bad for about 3 months so i don't know if i should make a change there.

Always liked searching for youngsters to build a new team,playing this game all my life and it's amazing.

Build up to the second season and defence of the title has not been easy so far. Bit of squad disharmony as I wouldn't accept a £7m bid for Wimmer! Eventually I managed to get £14m from PSG and repair the damage. Trippier has also left after complaining that he didn't feel he was good enough, going to Liverpool for £9m. I have got Stones in and feel I have enough quality over the back until...

Danny Rose has just picked up a hamstring injury and will be out for 3 weeks. Nothing bad there and having played 30 games last year relatively injury free you would think there would be no issue. However he is considering retiring from the game as he is convinced he will never be completely injury free! The game is giving me no option to discuss this with him, any advice? I have no money left in the pot (despite the big tv windfall the board offered no additional cash) so will be stuck with Davies and KWP or forced to sell.

Liverpool have also bid for Kane which I rejected. He then asked for a new contract despite signing a new £120kpw deal just two months ago. He has sacked his agent at my request and hopefully that will be the end of it. Still plenty of big clubs circling and hoping they will start looking elsewhere. Man City seem to be interested in everyone despite already spending £120m after finishing 9th in the league. Surely the FFP will have an effect on them at some point and they will have to stop.

I see alot of people have been very successful here managing Spurs, just wondering if anyone has been head hunted to other big european clubs? I fancy abit of a mourinho type challenge of winning all major club trophies in different countries!

Juventus wanted me at one point. I've just been linked with Madrid. Main reason I've not been linked with more is clubs not sacking managers that are underperforming. Except in the PL, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, City & Liverpool go through managers like hot cakes. But that's cos I'm kicking their asses.

Bentaleb pt. II

Had something I've not seen before today - I was advised to drop Bentaleb from the team as I had better options. True, but I was trying to get him back on side... and he was only on the bench anyway. Dropped from the bench? That's harsh on the part of my assistant :D

I see alot of people have been very successful here managing Spurs, just wondering if anyone has been head hunted to other big european clubs? I fancy abit of a mourinho type challenge of winning all major club trophies in different countries!

I was offered the Barca job midway through the second season. Didn't even contemplate it to be honest, rejected the interview.... That's it so far, just going into the 3rd season now and no one else has come in. Won 1 PL Title, 2x League Cups that's it.

Kyle Walker is a tool in FM, lost 3-0 to City and he played a 6.0 so criticised his performance and he said 'My performance was excellent, have you been to the opticians recently?' Dropping him for that.

Kyle Walker had my highest ave. rating 2nd season, absolute rock so I'm surprised at that. Wont be getting rid of him for a while!

Kyle Walker is a tool in FM, lost 3-0 to City and he played a 6.0 so criticised his performance and he said 'My performance was excellent, have you been to the opticians recently?' Dropping him for that.

:D

I rarely criticise individual performances. Certainly not a 6.0 (unless everyone else's was 8+). Under 5 and they'd get it but I can't even remember doing that in this save.

Genuinely sounds like something Kyle Walker would say, they've nailed that. :lol:

Anyone got any screenshots of Marcus Edwards further in the game, my assistant jpa18 jpp19 reckons he can be a key player got 3 gold and one black star

Seen a few people say he doesn't end up very good, he's got pretty decent stats on mine in first season, veljkovic is looking pretty good on his loan at top of the table burnley would like it if his pace was a bit better

Anyone got any recommendations for back up gk, dragowski has gone to Madrid and rulli signed a new deal (must be the only person that's happened too!) tempted to go for donarumma and timo horn looks too good to play second fiddle to lloris

Anyone got any screenshots of Marcus Edwards further in the game, my assistant jpa18 jpp19 reckons he can be a key player got 3 gold and one black star

Seen a few people say he doesn't end up very good, he's got pretty decent stats on mine in first season, veljkovic is looking pretty good on his loan at top of the table burnley would like it if his pace was a bit better

Anyone got any recommendations for back up gk, dragowski has gone to Madrid and rulli signed a new deal (must be the only person that's happened too!) tempted to go for donarumma and timo horn looks too good to play second fiddle to lloris

Think you'd have to invest a lot of time and effort in getting Edwards good enough.

My back up GK's (since Vorm left) have been Sergio Romero and Salvatore Sirigu. Both have been absolute diamonds. Really good and uncomplaining. Donarumma is a great choice but get him quick, Milan won't listen to bids less than £150m now in my save :D You could also look at Francesco Bardi, Simone Scuffet, Tim Krul, Thomas Dahne, Ron Robert Zieler or Allisson.

Rulli for me on a Free end of first season. Played 15 games and didn't complain second season, ranked same as Lloris, so natural successor although Lloris has just signed a new deal. Edwards is still 3* for me as well but he doesn't look great in all honesty. Ive decided to sell Milos V. for £7.5m with a 30% sell on fee. He wont play for us any time soon

yeah there's a few good keepers around i was tempted to go for some championship keeper to bench warm for a bit, one thing i've noticed is that players don't half hold a grudge for a long time! i let my AM take a team talk in pre-season and walker was annoyed for a good few months still, him & bentaleb have been on poor morale most of the season, although they're starting to cheer up a bit

i really want the youth to succeed because we have so many good prospects irl doesn't feel like its properly represented when we have one of the best academies in england which is a bit of a shame

Fazio is off in january to norwich for 5.5m i play a high-ish line so he was never going to get any playing time especially with Wimmer & Mammana as back up, Mason & Townsend have barely played at all (in december) the midfield trio of Eriksen/Alli/Dier have been undroppable as i sit top with just one loss 3-1 away to City

I find Kane is quite wasteful, i play 4-1-2-3 wide dm with Kane as an Advance Fwd going to put shoot less often as a player instruction for him cos i find him shooting from all sorts of silly positions, Lamela isn't really setting the world alight considering how good he was for me on FM15 i've tried him as an IF-A and he was underwhelming and that is comfortably Gab Barbosa's slot, so i'm giving him a shot on the left as a Winger-S rotating with Chadli but i don't really play a crossing game so maybe advanced playmaker will be the one for him...

Haven't scored from a corner yet midway thru the season which is pretty shocking so if there's any good corner set ups about could you show me them

Not sure what you're wanting from the youth that isn't there.

CCV, Onomah, KWP, Milos V, Kaz Sterling, Winks, Grant Ward & maybe Marcus Edwards can make it at PL level. That is a phenomenal amount to make it out of one academy. Up there or better than Fergies class of 92 (in number if not quality)

If just one of them made it it would be a success. The fact that multiples can is incredible.

Barca's success is not emulated anywhere & expectations should be tempered.

People expect way too much.

Agreed! KWP has been brilliant for me, Onomah is staying third season, classed as a wonderkid and valued at £8.5m! CCV and Milos are prem players but not top hence why Milos has gone with a massive sell on clause. Sterling and Edwards still have high potential for me but don't look great stats wise

Fair I don't think kaz sterling will make it in the game his stats look pretty poor and v. injury prone for me

Kane is so frustrating! How do you get him to score so much I play 4123 dm with him as either CF-A or AF-A and he just winds me up he has a lot of great chances and just fires it at the keeper constantly, he starts near enough every game and off the top of my head his stats are 24 played and 13 goals - is there anything I can do cos it seems I'm just scraping thru games atm gabby barbosa has 10 goals from IF-A and he gets rotated a fair bit, also is there a way to limit the amount of crosses I concede other teams just run round my fb's like they're not there people like Milner for example beat rose and then whip in a ball which coutinho wins of all people. I don't get how I'm top of the table we're very hit and miss. Like I'll beat Leicester who are 3rd and won last 5 league games 3-0 easily then struggle at home to 17th place crystal palace, bolasie and zaha just run me ragged

Kaz Sterling is still in my squad in season 7. Good sub option & plays most cup games.

13 from 24 isn't terrible from Kane. He can be streaky though. I think he plays better on support he's very good at linkup play & can contribute assists as well as goals.

Ref. Harry Kane. First season I had a mare with him, think he scored like 13/14 goals, terrible, I did post on here about it, I was playing retain possession etc. we were winning games by 1 goal most games so goals were coming from everywhere. Second season I have gone more direct still playing him as a 'complete forward' and he scored 25 goals so a lot better. Noticed now I have Lukaku how poor Kane is in the air. I knew I was putting the ball in the box a lot but Lukaku is a lot more prolific than Kane in the box. May need to tweak my tactics a bit on that front, was looking to squeeze both in and perhaps play Kane as a shadow striker

Yeah I will try him on support his link up play is pretty good and yeah I've got work ball into box my passing is mixed at the start of the match depends how it's going and I'll change it depending on how we're playing

I had a similar thing to you Dos Santos at the start of the league winning by a 1 goal margin, means I have best defensive record atm which is nice but means I have a lot of nervy games where it seems like despite having the majority of chances we can never convert, I'm going to try and see if I can take off hit shots with power from Kane hopefully might get more in the back of the net

Good though that I've been offered an extended two year deal, Eriksen has easily been my best player with an avg rating of 8.52 - was mentioned as an outsider for the ballon d'or and he's also on 125k a week which kind of pains me as I'm a bit of a tight arse with wages although I can't say it's not deserved I think he's been motm 9 or so times this season gettin the odd 9 rating from cm as AP-A

Matt123 - once you get successful the wages only go up unfortunately! People like Kane, Eriksen, Lloris, Son, Lamela all over 100K going into season 3. Yet when Vertonghen wanted a new deal he only wanted £45k a week! I am trying to sign players and they get greedy as well. Lukaku is on £125k a week as well now. Managing to keep my rotation/ back up/ hot prospect wages low which is good though

oh great haha, i always try and keep a tight ship on the wages on previous fm think the highest i might've gone is 180k for an ageing Ronaldo just to say i've had the chance of managing him

i should be on course for a top 4 finish at least, top atm middle of december 15 got a 6pt gap to 2nd, top 4 atm is pretty similar to real life just in different orders leicester, arsenal & man city

got a tough knock out game against marseille in europa and if i get past them i've got another two very decent teams that i can't remember atm, so i'm prob going to focus on the league i struggled in europa this year when in previous FM editions normally got out the group easily

Off topic - anyone do online with mates? Never played it nore knowing how it works but interested, most of my mates don't play this and if they do not often

I used to on FM14. I found it even more enjoyable, made it a lot more competitive.

Quite the 4th year in charge at (New) White Hart Lane.

After winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League last year we opened our campaign against Man City in the Community Shield, and Real Madrid in the European Super Cup. We got tonked by City, but Madrid wilted in the face of Lukaku, Kane, and the 92 million (gulp), 29 year old (double gulp) Gareth Bale. Kings of Europe? Oh yes!

Bale aside, our team was largely unchanged from last season. Tom Carroll, Demarai Gray and Kyle Walker-Peters all had breakthrough seasons the year before, while Cameron Carter-Vickers was a good 4th choice centre back. We picked up Iver Fossum on loan from Barcelona for additional depth in midfield – a wise choice, in fact, as during the course of the season Bentaleb, Carroll and Will Hughes would all miss significant spells.

We started in mediocre fashion, unable to close out teams and struggling to hold onto leads. Dropping a midfielder back into the DM role strengthened things up, though, and we went on a lengthy unbeaten run, including 14 wins in a row at one point. Defeats in general were few during the season, although when we did lose, it was spectacular – 3-0 to United, 4-1 to City...

Injuries are also something of a problem, especially in the middle of the park. Eriksen and Pastore both missed time, although fortunately not both at the same time. Bentaleb kept picking up niggly injuries (often when away with Algeria), Carroll took a hard knock in the spring that left him out for a spell, while poor Will Hughes broke his leg and is out for six months. Fortunately there was always cover available, but loaning Fossum proved prescient as we hit the run-in with only him and Alli fit.

In spite of that, we took top spot in the autumn and never relinquished it. By match 33 we were all but champions; United needed to win their game in hand just to stay in touch and hope we lost our last five matches heavily. Never likely, but win they did and City did them a favour in the following match as they rolled right over us. Still, we only needed a point from our last four games, and a week later even that was behind us as we steamrollered Liverpool to bring the title home to our new ground.

Could we go one better, though? 2nd the season before earned us a bye to the Champions League group stage, where we dismissed our opponents fairly easily – 5 wins and 1 draw giving us top spot. Porto (6-2) and Bayern Munich (6-0) followed in the knockout stages with straightforward wins throughout, leaving us facing Real Madrid in the semi-final. A tense match at the Bernabeu saw us take the lead early in the second half, before we were pegged back late on. Back to London then, with the slimmest of advantages – only for us to bag within a few minutes of kick off as Kane struck. Could it be?

Not if Ronaldo had anything to say about it. Taking offence to our impudence, the ‘legendary winger’ pulled Madrid back into the game, then put them ahead. In my head, Clive Tyldesley was intoning that “No matter what happens now, this game cannot go to extra time”. Cue Kane again. Cue Gray! Cue Gareth ’92 million’ Bale!! Cue the party!!!

After that, the final could hardly compare in terms of drama, the only minor worries being the absence of Bale with a hernia, and which of our two-sided full backs with near-identical records would make the bench – Walker-Peters or Joel Ward? Eventually, the former Palace man gets the nod, as I reason that KWP has lots of finals ahead of him. Our opponents are Bayer Leverkusen, second in the Bundesliga and they give us one of our sterner tests of the season, but after Kane scored midway through the first half, they seemed to lose all sense of adventure. That we only got one was the surprise, as they seemed to then be playing in the hopes of a mistake, but that’s not this Spurs side.

League winners, European champions, reigning Kings of Europe. What next?

Entering pre-season, and on day one of the transfer window United, City and Bayern all lodge 30 million bids for Lukaku. Not wanting to laugh in their faces, I negotiate – 60 million guaranteed plus 20% of any future sale (not profit) and 10 million ‘depending’ on him playing 10 games for the club and 5 for Belgium. As he’s been picked for Belgium while orange injured, I can’t see that being a problem. Nevertheless, I expect them to balk at the fee... except City don’t. Calling my bluff, they agree to the terms. I can’t reject that money, even if I thought Lukaku would accept my reasoning (a 50:50 prospect at best) so my rotating strikeforce of Lukaku and Kane, with over 120 goals between them in 2 seasons, is now history.

Oh, and Lloris wants to leave. I benched him in March after a couple of games where he conceded after the opponents only had 1 or 2 shots. Butland took his chance in both gloves and kept Lloris out of the team for the rest of the season. Now Lloris is unsettled enough to want to move back to France :( I got him to agree to one more season... but where am I going to find a replacement? Granted he’ll be 33 this year, but that’s no age for a keeper. My scouts are out, looking for a hot prospect, but I’ll also be looking for a Friedel-esque backup. Maybe, just maybe, if I play him enough he’ll change his mind... but can I really leave Butland on the bench for that long?

I at least have Lukaku’s replacement signed quickly – 17 million for (former?) wonderkid Timo Werner from Atletico Madrid. Atletico let him go surprisingly easily despite signing him for 20 million just last summer, and him scoring 16 goals in the meantime. I’m not looking too closely at that one, in case I’ve bought a pup. The alternative was trying to pry Dybala away from Juventus, which would have probably cost me 80-90 million, maybe more.

With Iver Fossum returning to his parent club (you’re welcome, Barca, he improved a lot) and Bentaleb likely to start demanding more match time, I also move to bring in Tielemans from Anderlecht. I’m aware that he’s a real talent, and I’m surprised no-one else has jumped on him – another 11 million, and we’ve got 50 million or so left in our transfer budget yet. Do we need anyone else? Even if not, I put in an enquiry about Ronaldo. He may be 34, but he’s still got ludicrous stats – 15+ almost everywhere. Meanwhile, Vertonghen is just starting to lose ground, but as 3rd/4th choice he’s fine for another season. It looks like we’re ready to go for season 5.

GK: Butland/Lloris

DL: Ghoulam/KWP

DC: Stones/Vertonghen

DC: Alderweireld/Carter-Vickers

DR: Walker/Ward

DMC: Tielemans/Bentaleb

MC: Alli/Hughes/Carroll

ML/AML: Bale/Chadli

AMC: Eriksen/Pastore

MR/AMR: Gray/Lamela

SC: Kane/Werner

Archived