Defenders 'closing down'

I've managed to get through half a season and have conceded several goals where none of my defenders have 'closed down' and the opposition player has been able to waltz into the box and pick his spot. The latest was Alexis Sanchez, picked it up on the left wing (around 30-40 yards out from goal), i had all 4 defenders back plus my 2 CMs tracking. it was 4v2 in the box. No one approached Sanchez and he dribbled all the way to the six yard box to slot home.

Tactically i play a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3 pivot) on control/flexible.

FBR - FBa | CDR - CDd | CDL - CDd | FBL - FBa

DM - DLPd

CMR - B2B | CML - CMa

AMR - APs | AML - IFa

STC - CFs

TIs include: Play Wider, Close down more, High Defensive Line, Retain Pos, Play out, Work ball into Box. OIs for that game had Ozil and Sanchez on close down always, tackle harder. For me, these instructions suggest we should be closing down these players, especially when the full backs are unoccupied (no opposition player to mark). Ive dabbled with Use Tighter Marking but that hasn't seemed to have made any distinguishable difference.

In the scenario you describe, I'd want more closing down too. Have you tried adding PIs to players to increase their closing down?

To be honest, i havent, because i felt that would be overkill and have them shutting down in bad areas and leaving us exposed. I just felt like the instructions i had would have the FB shutting down his direct opponent. I do have PIs tackle harder on my full backs given i had noticed them 'running alongside' opponents. Ill keep persisting.

Archived