FM16: Sunderland A.F.C Thread- Breaking the Cycle

Jordanknox

Tottenham (AI) got him on one of my games for a little over a million straight away. Bayern have him on my current long term save. He's developing and looking good but he's just sat there waiting for Neuer to retire which won't be for a while.

Yeah just checked and they got him for 1.8m too second season.

8a42c05b362f9fdf041bd054a18bde38.png

EDIT : It was 1.8m right on the last day of the first January window Bayern got him.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished season one in 11th which I was quite happy with although we found goals really hard to come by. There has been a high turnover of players and I raided Leeds for a couple of gems in Charlie Taylor and Lewis Cook. On the flanks we have Andrija Zivkovic and Jeremaine Lens whilst Fabio Borini is the sole surviving forward from season one. Borini is an interesting one because he only managed 5 goals and 1 assist in 27 games last season, however I have tweaked my tactic slightly and the change has been startling - he has scored 10 goals and notched 3 assists in 9 games so far in 2016/17 including 6 goals in his last 2 games. :lol:

We are sitting pretty in 4th in mid-November having won five on the bounce, I doubt we'll be able to keep it up though as the fixtures have been kind to us so far. The board only expect another mid-table finish which should be easily achievable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in my second season with Sunderland on FM16. In my first season, I qualified for the Champions League by finishing fourth and was beaten by Arsenal in the FA Cup final. I used a counter attacking system based on a formation from the CM3 days - a 4-3(DMCs)-2(AMR/AML)-1 system. The CM3 system had AMCs instead of AMR/AML but I felt the change I made would be better as it would accommodate two of the more talented players on our books - Lens and Borini. I got rid of loads of players as recommended by this thread and signed lots of quality youngsters with great sell-on value. The best of these was Marcelo Meli who I purchased for £4million and sold to Benfica for an astonishing £37.5million the following preseason.

Now in 2016/2017, I decided to create a new possession based control formation as teams will play more defensively against me than before. I still plan on using the counter attacking system against the better sides, especially in the Champions League. I have the midfielders in my squad to adapt to both formations. Here is my current squad:

GK: Rulli/Pickford

DR: Peruzzi/Trippier (on loan)

DL: Cresswell/van Aanholt

DC: Chambers/Batth

DC: Alvarez Balanta/Ben Gibson

DMC: Amartey/Ajer (loan from Man City)

MC: Lucas Romero/Rodwell

MC: Capoue/Hiljemark

AMR: Zivkovic/Carles Gil

AML: Lens/Ravel Morrison (loan)

FC: Deeney/Poulsen

One weak area in my team the previous season was in the forward line. My top striker only scored 9 goals in a DLF-Support role so I've changed that to a DF and purchased Deeney and Poulsen.

Watford and West Ham got relegated so Deeney, Capoue and Cresswell only cost me £16million between them. I also tried to purchase Obiang but he joined AC Milan instead so I got Hiljemark instead. Chambers cost me £18million but will be worth it as he'll be the rock at centre back for years to come, is English and has huge sell-on value. I thought Poulsen was expensive at £9.5million but he's now worth £18million. Danny Batth is a good value purchase too at £5.75million and is ideal as I wanted someone with great heading ability and someone willing to be back up to Chambers. Rulli came on a free and the other signings I made were the loan deals.

This season, I hope to qualify for the Champions League again and a cup win would be nice. So far, I've made it through the Champions League qualifier in a tough match against the quality Shakhtar Donetsk and we're top after three games in the league.

Youngsters Lee Molyneux and Oscar Krusnell appeared a reasonable amount in the first team last season and look the most useful of the U21/Youth team players. I got a fairly poor youth intake so might look at signing some youngsters in the next transfer window or improving the facilities. Last season also saw a major overhaul of staff, my coaching team is amongst the best in the Premier League and the scouting network is pretty reasonable too. Financially, the club is looking a lot better than at game start too.

• 2 months later...

Started a save with Sunderland.

I always get bored with top flight clubs, but this one will be interesting; no money to spend, a squad full of average players on high wages, this is one hell of a task.

Managed to sell Catermole for £7.25m, and bought in a load of loans, most notable one being Green from Bayern.

• 4 weeks later...

So started with Sunderland last night selling bridcutt, mannone, fletcher and trying to offload a few others like O'shea, brown cattermole. Signed Michael Keane (10m installaments) and balanata, now my question is what tactic are you guys using im going for 442 with winger flexible control is this a good choice for the club with 2 BWM and Wingers Supporting and 2 Advanced forwards, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Archived