So what should my scouting policy be for my Man Utd team?

John Swarbrick

Ok, i'm challenging myself to never touch Genie Scout again. I want a more realistic game using my scouts. So, I have sacked all my scouts that aren't good enough and bought 5 scouts with 18+ in 'Judging player POTENTIAL', who will be the scouts that look for the up and coming youngsters, and 4 scouts with 18+ in 'Judging player ABILITY', who will look for the already good players and hopefully will find me some rotation/utility players for when I need them at the start of a new season.

So what should my scouting policy be for the 'potential' scouts, and the 'ability' scouts. Already looked on google and the search tool, and not found anything great as of yet. Should I scout the five most promising REGIONS and players under 22 for the youngsters? 5 random COUNTRIES at a time for players under 21? 5 REGIONS going in alphabetical order for players under 19, and then the next 5 in alphabetical order after that? How should it work?

I prefer to scout continents.

For bigger continents, such as Europe, send them to various regions. Same with south america.

For everywhere else(Oceania, north america, asia) just send them to the continents.

Countries who are known for good talent(Brazil, Argentina, France) are worth sending individual scouts to.

Scout European countries first. Send your scouts out to as many different locations as you can in Europe and see what they can come up with. The regens in Argentina and Brazil come into the game late December IIRC so there's no point sending your scouts there before that. I dont think this applies in season 1 though.

I usually only send my scouts to African countries if I have anybody lying idle. From what I've noticed, I tend not to get too many great talents from that side of the world unfortunately. So I've stopped sending scouts there as it takes a really long time for them to complete the reports.

Scout European countries first. Send your scouts out to as many different locations as you can in Europe and see what they can come up with. The regens in Argentina and Brazil come into the game late December IIRC so there's no point sending your scouts there before that. I dont think this applies in season 1 though.

I usually only send my scouts to African countries if I have anybody lying idle. From what I've noticed, I tend not to get too many great talents from that side of the world unfortunately. So I've stopped sending scouts there as it takes a really long time for them to complete the reports.

Got to admit, I disagree with your Africa quote.

I've found some fab players from Africa, mostly from Nigeria, Ghana, Madagascar(Yep, I know!), and a couple from Cameroon!

I wouldn't say you should send them out often, perhaps once a season.

Africa often produces some amazing but flawed regens. Anyway all areas of Europe first, South America second, and then Africa. There's no point scouting elsewhere. I prefer scouting by myself often anyway. Man Utd have enough money to buy anyone if they prove themselves later on so I pick the ones that look best from the clubs who have great academies like Ajax, Boca etc.

Well, like I said, I cant find any regens in Africa who look like they'll cut it. And neither can my scouts. The thing is that I know there are some good regens there. Indeed, if I open Genie Scout and look for them on it, I find a few with potential. But somehow my scouts always seem to miss them. And I usually send the best ones out there to look around.

I dont load any leagues from Africa though so that could be the reason.

I send my scouts to scout (lol) other leagues, I get an English, a Italian, a Spanish, German, Dutch, French and Portuguese scouts and they scout the others leagues and like that I always know who are the best players from each league. I also get an south American scout and he just scouts the whole of south America

i hire the max scouts you can

one to scout next opposition

and the others scout regions (south america, scandanavia, eastern europe etc)

if i find one that has good potential then ass man scouts them before i make my decision

and then try to bring them in on trial (and get an U18 coach report)

I like my scouts to have both high Judging CA and PA to provide the best possible report (>15). I then look to hire scouts from as many different nations as possible, usually British, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch/Scandanavian and South American, and send them out to the various nations/regions. I find German scouts tend to have a decent knowledge of Eastern Europe, whilst the rest will generally just scout their nations or those surrounding their home nation. If I can attract a decent African Scout (they are pretty rare) then I'll get him as a token nod to the African game - I've never had much success with African newgens.

I leave one scout who has the highest judging attributes and high tactical knowlegde to scout the next opposition, but most importantly, scout potential targets over a number of matches - basically my head scout. He gives second opinions on all players picked out by my other scouts to help prevent badly judged scouting reports.

That's how I implement a scouting system for major clubs, so it should work for United.

Archived