FM16: Crystal Palace – Alan Pardew's Red 'n' Blue Army

cjgoodsell

Welcome to the Football Manager 2016 thread for Crystal Palace Football Club

badge-201461-1962233_1600x900.jpg

Brief History

Crystal Palace Football Club was formed in 1905, and took its name from the huge glass palace which stood at the top of Sydenham Hill (on the site where the National Sports Centre now stands) which was re-erected there following the Great Exhibition of 1851. The club played its home fixtures at Crystal Palace until the great war commenced in 1914.

During the period 1905-1920, Palace played in the Southern League, but were granted admission to the Football League for the 1921 season and immediately won the 3rd Division Championship at the first attempt. The Club moved again in 1924 to its present home at Selhurst Park.

In 1981 Palace were bought out by Ron Noades amid mounting debts and falling support, and his master stroke was to appoint the former Manchester United and England winger Steve Coppell as manager.

Under Coppell's management Palace were to become re-established as a major force in the game, winning promotion to the first division in 1989. The 1990 season saw some remarkable highs and lows, with the club's first ever appearance in the FA Cup Final, drawing 3-3 with Manchester United, before losing 1-0 in the replay. The team over this period including the likes of Nigel Martyn, Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Geoff Thomas, Andy Gray, John Salako and the prolific deadly duo of Mark Bright and Ian Wright. The sale of Ian Wright to Arsenal had a devastating effect on the club, which resulted in relegation at the end of the 92-93 season. Steve Coppell resigned and Alan Smith was promoted from his number 2.

His first season saw the club win the First Division title and gain promotion to the Premier League. Their stay on this occasion proved eventful. On 25 January 1995 Palace played Manchester United at Selhurst Park in which Eric Cantona was sent off. He was taunted by Palace fan Matthew Simmon and retaliated with a flying kick.Cantona was sentenced to two weeks in jail, reduced to 20 hours community service on appeal. Simmons was immediately banned from Selhurst Park, and found guilty on two charges of threatening Cantona.[More was to follow in March, when Chris Armstrong was suspended by the FA for failing a drugs test. On the field, Alan Smith guided the club to the semi finals of both the FA Cup and the League Cup, but League form was a concern and Palace once again found itself relegated, finishing fourth from bottom as the Premier League reduced from 22 to 20 clubs.

Steve Coppell returned in early 1997 as manager and the club was successful in the play-offs when the club defeated Sheffield United in the final at Wembley. This stay in the Premier League was no more successful than the previous two, and in true yo-yo club fashion the club was relegated back to the First Division for the 1998–99 season.

In November 2003 Iain Dowie was appointed manager and guided the club to the play-offs, securing promotion with a 1–0 victory over West Ham. Again Palace could not maintain their footing in the top tier and were relegated on the last day of the season after drawing at local rivals Charlton Athletic.

Iain Dowie left in 2006 by mutual consent after failing to return to the premier league. There had been several managers that tried and failed including the likes of Peter Taylor, Neil Warnock & Dougie Freedman before Ian Holloway successfully guided the team back to the Premier league in 2013 via the play offs.

Since returning to the premier league Ian Holloway, Tony Pulis and Neil Warnock have come and gone. On 2nd January 2015 Club Legend Alan Pardew returned to lead the eagles to their best ever Premier League Finish of 10th.

OWNERSHIP

Due to the Football League not wishing the owners of the FA Cup Final to also own a team, a separate company was established to found and own the team. The first chairman, Sydney Bourne.

Arthur Wait established a consortium of seven businessmen to purchase the club in 1949, and initially they rotated the chairmanship. In 1958 Wait became the Chairman, before being replaced by Raymond Bloye in 1972.

Bloye's ownership lasted until 26 January 1981, when property developer Ron Noades and his small consortium took control of the club. Noades eventually sold the club to Mark Goldberg on the 5 June 1998, becoming the second longest serving chairman behind Sydney Bourne.

Goldberg's tenure of the club was not a success and the club entered administration in March 1999. Although the fans established a group, The Crystal Palace Supporters Trust in a bid to gain control of the club, millionaire Simon Jordan negotiated a deal with creditors and the administrator, and a new company, CPFC 2000 took control. This company entered administration in January 2010, leaving administration in June of that year after a takeover by a consortium of four wealthy fans, CPFC 2010.

Crystal Palace F.C. is currently owned by CPFC 2010 Limited. CPFC 2010 was established by a consortium of four businessmen, Steve Parish, Martin Long, Stephen Browett and Jeremy Hosking in 2010 CPFC 2010 also purchased the ground from Lloyds Bank after a demonstration by fans put pressure on the bank to agree terms.

RIVALRIES

Because of their location in the capital, Crystal Palace are involved in a number of local derbies, mostly across South London. Their strongest rivalry in London is with Millwall. They also enjoy a smaller rivalry with former tenants Charlton. They have a fierce rivalry with Brighton & Hove Albion which did not develop until Palace's relegation to the Third Division in 1974, reaching its height when the two teams were drawn together in the first round of the 1976–77 FA Cup. The game went to two replays, but the controversy was based on referee Ron Challis ordering a successful Brighton penalty be retaken because of Palace player encroachment. The retake was saved, Palace won the game 1–0 and a fierce rivalry was born.

The Stadium

article-0-1B3BB34A000005DC-31_634x395.jpg

Full name: Selhurst Park

Owner: CPFC 2010

Capacity: 26,255

Field size: 110 x 74 yards-

Surface: Grass

Scoreboard: JumboTron scoreboard

Built: 1924

Club Details

Club1.png

Staff

Staff.png

Facilities

Facilities.png

Expectations & Budget

You can see here the difference from the lowest expectation to the highest expectation.

Lowest%20expectations.png Highest%20Expectations.png

Finances

Finances.png

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers_1.png

GK - Julian Speroni – Club Legend and been at the club since 2004.

GK – Wayne Hennessey – Joined During the January transfer window of 2014 for £1.5mil to challenge Julian Speroni for the no1 spot

GK – Alex McCarthy Signed from QPR in the summer of 2015

Potential Targets:

I feel to begin the game these are the best goalkeepers to start with plenty of competition

Defenders

Defenders_1.png

RB – Joel Ward - Signed in the summer of 2012 for £400k from Portsmouth Ward is now rated as the number 1 right back at the club.

RB – Martin Kelly - Signed in the Summer of 2014 for £1.5m from Liverpool for added competition.

CB – Damien Delaney – Signed on a free transfer from Ipswich in the Summer of 2012. Valuable experience and has played at each level of the English Leagues.

CB – Brede Hangeland - joined on a free in the summer of 2014, valuable experience at this level.

CB – Scott Dann – Signed in the January of 2014 for £2.3m from Blackburn, he was brought in to bolster the defence to remain in the premier league

LB – Pape Soure – Signed in January 2015 one of the 1st signings by Alan Pardew.

Potential Targets:

Ashley Cole is available for 250k from Roma and will give good competition to Pape Soure. Eder Balanta, Erik Pieters, You also have Zeki Fryers and Jerome Binnom-Williams in your under 21's

Midfielders

Midfielders_1.png

Start the season with excellent strength and depth if you set up with wingers you have the pace in the midfield to start with.

DM – Mile Jedinak – Captain Mile! Joined in 2011 and became captain in 2012. Ever-present in the 2013/14 season of the premier league.

DM/CM – Joe Ledley – Can play either roles. Good competition for the main CM's

DM/CM – James McArthur – Signed in the summer of 2014 from Wigan to add as more competition to the midfield area.

CM – Yohan Cabaye – Brought in to the club to work with Alan Pardew one more time power house in midfield and keeping Jedinak out of the side

CM – Jordan Mutch – Signed from QPR in January 2015 a useful back up

Attacking midfielders/wingers

AMR – Jason Puncheon – Intially signed on loan in Summer of 2013 move made permenment in January 2014. Provides good competition in this area.

AMRL/STC – Wilfried Zaha – Came through the ranks and in 2013 went to Man Utd. Does not feature in their plans and came back for 2014 on a season-long loan.

AML – Yannick Bolasie – Joined from Bristol City Summer 2012 and fast became a fans favourite with his pace and tricks.

AMR – Lee Chung-Yung – Joined from Bolton January 2015 useful back up and provides the extra competition in this area

AML – Bakary Sako – Joined from Wolves Summer 2015 on a free transfer he provides good competition to Bolasie and excellent back up.

Potential Targets:

If you feel you need better competition for places Ricky Alvarez, Nicolai Muller, Nathan Redmond & Angel Lafita are all good targets.

In the under 21's you have:

Jonny Williams and Sullay Kaikai who are currently out on loan. Ones for the future!

Strikers

Strikers_1.png

ST – Dwight Gayle – Record-signing in 2013 Dwight Gayle goal poacher and can develop in to a club hero.

ST – Marouane Chamakh – Signed on a free from Arsenal in 2013 hard working player and will support his strike partner can drop back into AMC position

ST – Connor Wickham – Signed from Sunderland in summer 2015 given the game time can become a club legend with his goals

ST – Frazier Campbell – Signed from Cardiff in 2014 a complete forward and shows some promise.

ST – Patrick Bamford – Currently on loan from Chelsea bright youngster who yet to be given the chance at this level.

Potential Targets:

Should you feel you want to improve in this area or need good back up you have Emmanuel Adebayor and Alessandro Del Piero available on free transfers. Luan from Gremio can be a useful signing.

Under 21's you have Kwesi Appiah knocking on the door.

Tactics

These 2 seem to be the best fit for the current squad.

Tactics%201.png Tactics%202.png

Playing as Crystal Palace is a challenge and after finishing 10th in the Premier League in 2015 can you better that?

Good Luck to everyone playing as them, I hope you can continue the gradual rise of Crystal Palace. I look forward to seeing your updates.

I decided that due to the strength and depth of the squad i just needed strong back up to the first team and put my faith in the the current team.

T%20Window%201%20tactics.png

In the January Transfer Window I changed to this formation and will use it start of season 2

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-15%20at%2014.48.35.png

Transfers for the season:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-15%20at%2014.48.00.png

Clearing out the youngsters that I felt wouldn't make it and set to release players at end of their contracts. I also let both Del Piero and Adebayor go they were not getting any game time. Adebayor did not become available until december and was a waste of wages!

Finished 7th in the League just missing out on Europa League. Runners up in the cup!

Season 2

With season 2 I want to build on what I have start blooding in the youngsters build on the infrastructure around the club. Still no new investment but I guess I will wait and see until the january update is ready.

Transfers In:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-20%20at%2013.48.20.png

Building on the success of last season I have spent wisely and used transfer instalments to get these players, these are players that I hope to keep for 1-2 seasons and get my money back when the big clubs come calling. Which I hope will happen!

Transfers out:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-20%20at%2013.48.59.png

Loans Out:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-20%20at%2013.49.13.png

Current Line Up:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-20%20at%2013.50.14.png

• 2 weeks later...

right , season 1 is finished and 10 games into season 2 , here is how im going:

here is the table for season 1 :

i messed around trying to make an awesome tactic , i did do that but injurys killed me big time and that reulted in moving down the table after being 4th-5th most of the season....

34jcahk.jpg

Here are some of the results good and and bad as in i wanted to throw the pc off the balcony lol

9q89zn.jpg

2edqlc7.jpg

149scgk.jpg

2vudlbp.jpg

and for the result where i got abit angry

f0w3uc.jpg

Carling cup Run : was pleased with how we went

nv5fnt.jpg

FA CUP : GET IN LADS PALACE ARE IN EUROPE

ru42z6.jpg

24q5x5l.jpg

Transfers season 1 :

70an89.jpg

my tactic/plug&play :

2ntenic.jpg

so all round result im very happy , winning the fa cup was huge , so far in season 2 ive brought in 6 or so players and im doing very well in europe as ive got through the group stage so far , will upload more as season finish . cheers

season 2 ....well it didnt go anywhere near to plan ...nor did i finish it , after 21 games in the epl i was sacked i had only won 2 games and out of the carling and fa cups ...but still in europe after getting through to the KO stage . i can only put it down to the squad being unhappy cause of all the signings i made, as i stuck by the tactic and didnt change it once. i took the job at swindon town they were midtable i cam in and plugged my tactic in and only lost once and stormed the league easy and won it finishing 1st ...now for league 1 ....all the best with ya palace game cjgoodsell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I signed Bolasie on my save and he has been unbelievable! I'm playing him as a left sided inside forward on support duty with the added PPI's of shoot less often, get further forwards, close down more, roam from position and sit narrower.

With these instructions, Bolasie has so far played 8 games and has 5 goals, 6 assists, 3 man of the matches and an average rating of 7.82. He would probably be doing even better as well if he didn't get injured for a couple of months. I imagine Zaha would perform similar as well if played this way.

I suggest all you Crystal Palace players give it a try with your wide players. My opposite wide player is also set up as an inside forward with the exact same instructions and he's also playing excellent, although not as well as Bolasie.

Archived