FM16: Manchester United Back in Europe

Batman86

9 hours ago, muhaimin said:

I played Martial as a Complete Forward (Attack) in my save. So far top scorer in my team by 1 goal. I am currently in Jan.

My current squad:
Martial%20top%20scorer_zpsyownotrr.png

I have signed Pogba (60m P/ex Schneiderlin), Isco (23m P/ex Mata), Samper (20.5m). I could not resist signing Isco as I felt that he is better than Mata with a similar style of play. And he is available in the market. I have a very deep squad that I sometimes stressed myself out on who should be dropped or sold. These do  not include players that are on loan (Januzaj, Perreira, Tielemans, Riedewald, Kevin Diks and Walhqvist).

But are you playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1? And how he do in first season as it's the season I'm trying to find him find his best form and consistency 

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

But are you playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1? And how he do in first season as it's the season I'm trying to find him find his best form and consistency 

I am playing both 4-4-2 as well as 4-2-3-1. Martial will always play as a Complete forward no matter what formation I use. 1st season he does not score that often, on 12 goals in 29 apps. This season better at 14 goals in 16 apps in all competitions. In 4-4-2 I played Rooney as a False Nine.

On 30/08/2016 at 14:52, muhaimin said:

I am playing both 4-4-2 as well as 4-2-3-1. Martial will always play as a Complete forward no matter what formation I use. 1st season he does not score that often, on 12 goals in 29 apps. This season better at 14 goals in 16 apps in all competitions. In 4-4-2 I played Rooney as a False Nine.

Ah I see, not too bad for first season then 

Any one think of someone who has quite good potential but can also play here and there for back up to Shaw? Been handed £45 million for the January window. First season. Also anyone know of a pretty cheap back up CB but preferably someone who's in their peak 

6 hours ago, blue heron said:

Jetro Willems from PSV is a very good backup for Shaw who can hold his own and challenge Shaw for his spot.

A good CB is harder to find. They are very expensive IMHO.

Thank you, and yeah I know lol 

Ludwig Augustinsson has been my automatic backup for Shaw through myriad United saves and never let me down. Currently in fourth season (in my latest save) and he regularly clocks up matchday ratings of 7.5 and better. Can be signed for about £4m - I've turned down dozens of offers of £20m-plus.

For the sake of variety, I have tried other LBs with some success, including Faouzi Ghoulam, and Matt Targett from Southampton. Andrew Robertson from Hull is another, but the English players come with a big price premium.

It seems many people have finished up with their saves as FM17 is just around the corner! I for one can't wait, but I've decided to throw in one last save before it arrives!

I've started many saves and many haven't gone the mile, but one particular save did and unfortunately despite going 8 seasons, only one of those seasons was at Manchester United. That means I've yet to have a meaningful save with the club I love!

Greater Manchester ONLY!

I've decided to put a massive twist on this save and I will only be allowed to sign players who were born in the Greater Manchester area. Added to this, I will only be allowed to sign staff who were born in England and have to remove all staff who weren't. I will be allowed to retain foreign players until I can replace them, as I don't want to end up sacked for not doing well enough in the early stages.

Transfers Out

Jesse Lingard - £11mil - Swansea

Marouane Fellaini - £16.25mil - Juventus

Antonia Valencia - £8.75mil - AS Monaco

Ashley Young - £6.75mil - Southampton

Ander Herrera - £26mil - Bayern

Marcos Rojo - £7mil - West Ham

Daley Blind - £31mil - PSG

Wayne Rooney - £26mil - PSG

Phil Jones - £20mil - FC Barcelona

Chris Smalling - £32mil - Tottenham Hotspur

It's worth pointing out that I am using an updated database created by pr0, which can be found in the editors forum. This means that we have the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba.

Transfers In

Danny Drinkwater - £29mil - From Leicester

Phil Jagielka - £19mil - From Everton

Danny SImpson - £19.5mil - From Leicester

Michael Keane - £9mil - From Burnley

Zach Clough - £4.9mil - From Bolton

I wanted to bring in a few other players, but they weren't for sale at a price I was willing to pay. I have also taken a risk in selling Chris Smalling as we now only have 3 recognised first team center backs, but we do have the very promising Ro-Shaun Williams in the U18's who I will be looking to give first team football to during the season when possible. Zach Clough was a last minute purchase because Martial got injured for around 6 weeks and we only have Ibrahimovic and Rashford.

Brilliant start for us with a massive 4 - 1 victory over Leicester City in the Community Shield. I had Zlatan and Rashford up front in a 4 - 2 - 4 formation tactic that I've created. I've got Zlatan and Rashford switching positions constantly throughout the match, although both are Complete Forwards, one is support and one is attack. I've also got Pogba and Drinkwater switching in up in the middle because both are capable of being creative and defensive. Unfortunately Martial picked up a massive injury and despite our resounding victory, I wasn't happy with my wingers today, although Josh Harrop can be excused as he's young and making his debut and was the better of the 4 on display today.

Little further into the start of the season and the table looks like this...

Manchester%20United_%20%20Competitions-3

Most notable is the way Rashford and Zlatan have created a brilliant partnership and Rashford managed 4 goals in his first 2 premier league games, including the last gasp 90th minute winner against Everton after we conceded in the 89th that made it 2 - 2!

Zach Clough was the man to turn things around against Sassuolo in our first Euro Cup match. I had named a much weakened side, including giving Ro-Shaun Williams his debut at the back and starting Josh Harrop on the right. I took an ineffective Rashford off at half time for Zlatan, but it needed Zach Clough on for Martial in the 65th and with his first touch of the game, Clough pounced on a brilliant chance to break the deadlock. He then turned provider for Pogba who rocketed one in from 30 yards!

20 minutes ago, mikenevo said:

He actually is in my opinion. I always try to sell him.

Agreed, and what's impressive (from an FM research point of view) is that he's bad in exactly the same ways - poor first touch, no pace or acceleration, can no longer play the striker role, but can't master the midfield positions either.

At least in FMTouch, if you offer him out at £35m as your very first action, Chelsea will snap him up. Getting his wages off the books also frees up another £10-12m a year.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Agreed, and what's impressive (from an FM research point of view) is that he's bad in exactly the same ways - poor first touch, no pace or acceleration, can no longer play the striker role, but can't master the midfield positions either.

At least in FMTouch, if you offer him out at £35m as your very first action, Chelsea will snap him up. Getting his wages off the books also frees up another £10-12m a year.

That's exactly how I would describe him as well haha! Unfortunately I had to settle for the £26mil from PSG, but luckily in my save it doesn't look like I'll need much money as there aren't many players I can sign!

On 18/09/2016 at 19:42, warlock said:

I've found he's more than capable of playing in numerous midfield roles in previous saves, maybe comes down to the style of the tactic used also

2 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

I've found he's more than capable of playing in numerous midfield roles in previous saves, maybe comes down to the style of the tactic used also

No doubt tactics are important. I've kept him in a few saves, and he hasn't been utterly appalling as an AMC but he was never consistent, nor as good as Mata and Herrera in that position. Eventually I figured there was no downside to selling him, especially as the £35m hit to Chelsea's transfer budget often stops them strengthening their squad.

Little update as we finally went top of the table in the Premier League with a massive victory over Liverpool!!! I'll be sad to see Zlatan go when he eventually does because his partnership with Rashford is unreal. Zlatan has 15 in 16 appearances and Rashford has 13 in 17 appearances.

Man%20Utd%20v%20Liverpool_%20Overview%20

So far we boast a 100% record with 8 wins and 3 draws which is also identical to Arsenal, although thankfully our goal difference puts us top.

Our matches drawn have come against a very tough West Ham side, despite going 2 - 0 up we just couldn't hang on, then against Manchester City who were in fairness very strong and there wasn't anything to separate us. Our third draw was against Arsenal who were in fact the better team despite our goal 20 seconds into the game. We managed just the 1 shot on target, so to come away with the draw was very lucky!

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, wakesta said:

How many players have you brought through from the youth setup?

I haven't yet looking at bringing few of them through if I can manage to find them a place to play regularly enough 

Let's try and get more posts in the fm 17 thread this year than the scousers 

playing through the beta I think there is a lot of scope for a very successful Utd side

433 with a dm and pogba Herrera more advanced looks solid. Morgan has had a decrease this year but as an alternative wiegl from Dortmund seems available and he could play that deeper role

getting the best out of the likes of martial and mikki will be the key and giving pogba license to get further 

I am finding 433 most successful with Morgan sitting and Herrera and pogba in front. Using martial and mikki as inside forward with zlatan as complete forward on support. Seems to be working quite well

i wanted to develop a slightly more attacking 4231 but can't seem to get the best out of our attacking players

as much as I tried I couldn't sell Rooney so have kept him as back up to zlatan as complete forward and he is doing alright actually 

9 hours ago, thim1993 said:

I am finding 433 most successful with Morgan sitting and Herrera and pogba in front. Using martial and mikki as inside forward with zlatan as complete forward on support. Seems to be working quite well

i wanted to develop a slightly more attacking 4231 but can't seem to get the best out of our attacking players

as much as I tried I couldn't sell Rooney so have kept him as back up to zlatan as complete forward and he is doing alright actually 

Think might give the 4-3-3(DM) a go and retrain Mata as CM to play a role in CM and RW throughout the season then I reckon 

Good plan, he seems to do a good job off the right as an inside forward but struggles to impact the game from cm

i only made one beta signing which was giminez from athletico for 39 mil. A lot of money but he's been playing like a beast next to bailly and with smalling gives me good options to rotate

2 hours ago, thim1993 said:

Good plan, he seems to do a good job off the right as an inside forward but struggles to impact the game from cm

i only made one beta signing which was giminez from athletico for 39 mil. A lot of money but he's been playing like a beast next to bailly and with smalling gives me good options to rotate

Yeah he is a beast! Heard Sule is pretty good buy for £20 million too!

Anyone found decent right back option? The usual suspects of fabinho, danilo etc  are options especially as Danilo is available for 7 mil. I have been using darmian who is pretty steady and retrained roshaun Williams from under 23s there. Both are pretty solid but not anything special yet

42 minutes ago, thim1993 said:

Yeah sule looks very good again, cheaper than giminez too

Yeah so may go for him and yeah can't imagine Mata would be too good from CM at the start with him needing training to be retrained for a while lol 

Mata is playing well for me as an AP in the AMR slot, despite a toys/pram incident where he immediately went nuclear because he wants to go to Real Madrid. Unfortunately, RM never made a bid so I'm a bit bemused by that.

The Zlatan and me are going to have a falling-out, I think. Lazy and ineffective (just as in real life, I fear).

I haven't bought any CBs - the current crew seems to be doing the job - even Rojo, who was a waste of space in FM16. I have bought at LB and RB because Valencia always wants a move to China and I think Blind plays better at DM. In a couple of saves I've tried Hugo Mallo, Danilo and De Sciglio on the right, and all have been fine, although Danilo seems particularly demanding on things like treating the club as a stepping stone, wanting promises on strengthening the squad, so in my current save I told him to take a hike. On the left, Augustinsson was my goto in FM16 and still seems like a good, cheap backup, but in my current save I went for Jetro Willems who is doing a great job.

Still not sure what to do with Rooney. He's seems generally better than he was in FM16, but his best position looks like AMC and I don't play one. He's OK in a CM playmaker role, but Pogba and Herrera do better, so at the moment I'm rotating him with Fellaini as a B2B where Rooney is adequate but Fellaini has been a revelation - currently my highest-rated player!

Most of my saves so far have been in FMT while I get to grips with the new version. But the current tactic (a possession-based 4123dm wide) looks good so I'll probably move up to full-fat FM soon.

Interestinf regarding rbs, lad from valencia cancelo seems a good option. Yeah mata has started doing a lot better, outperforming mikhi ATM too

could not bring myself to keep fellaini but he does have his qualities I guess!

young gomes has been a revelation in the league cup or EFL cup or whatever. just destroyed sunderland with two goals and two assists. Only 16 but so much talent 

I'm not having a bad run so far, I'm at the end of 2016 and still unbeaten in the league:

Table.jpg

Only one slight hiccup when Arsenal knocked me out of league cup, but I was playing mostly kids so can't complain too much. Winning at Stamford Bridge the day we lost IRL was a little spooky.

Form 1.jpg

Form 2.jpg

Ibra has been a beast for me so far! Scoring for fun.

Ibra.jpg

I'm trying to get through the first season with no inbound transfer activity, and so far I guess it's going well. That all said, I have a fiver on me losing to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Manxie_Ash said:

I'm not having a bad run so far, I'm at the end of 2016 and still unbeaten in the league:

Table.jpg

Only one slight hiccup when Arsenal knocked me out of league cup, but I was playing mostly kids so can't complain too much. Winning at Stamford Bridge the day we lost IRL was a little spooky.

Form 1.jpg

Form 2.jpg

Ibra has been a beast for me so far! Scoring for fun.

Ibra.jpg

I'm trying to get through the first season with no inbound transfer activity, and so far I guess it's going well. That all said, I have a fiver on me losing to Liverpool.

Great results! What tactic are you playing? 

I've been getting battered when playing decent teams on 17, replayed Arsenal about 15 times until I chanced a draw. I accept my tactics must be dire. First 11 as follows:

Dave

Tete Baily Smalling Shaw

Herrera Pogba

Miki Mata Martial

Zlatan/Rashford

Incidentally I'm astounded at some of the player ratings, notably Jones, Rojo and Schneiderlin. I've probably seen most United games Rojo has played, on TV and at OT, and no chance does the lad merit 18 Tackling and 16 Marking. 

Anyway, tactics suggestions welcome.

5 hours ago, Vash420 said:

I've been getting battered when playing decent teams on 17, replayed Arsenal about 15 times until I chanced a draw. I accept my tactics must be dire. First 11 as follows:

Dave

Tete Baily Smalling Shaw

Herrera Pogba

Miki Mata Martial

Zlatan/Rashford

Incidentally I'm astounded at some of the player ratings, notably Jones, Rojo and Schneiderlin. I've probably seen most United games Rojo has played, on TV and at OT, and no chance does the lad merit 18 Tackling and 16 Marking. 

Anyway, tactics suggestions welcome.

I wanted to play a 4-2-3-1 but for the life of me could not get a set up to work when it came to competitive games!! So went for a 4-1-2-3 and done better through pre season and community shield was without a doubt a one sided affair got Everton next but this years team looks better suited to a 4-1-2-3 I would say and with alot of people I've seen posting on forums and groups on Facebook looks a popular formation 

4312 is working for me. Nearing the end of my first season and I'm two points behind Chelsea who are top, about 12 league games left. Sold Phil jones in Jan transfer window because Tottenham come in with a 42 million bid, went and got rafinha as a replacement for 1.2 million he will do as backup for the rest of the season.  Bought two Celtic youngsters tierney and oconnel and rafinha and I also got Ronaldinho on a free transfer lol for 20k a week. Going to go in for greizman in the summer and play him and martial up top with mata behind them. De gea, rafinha, smalling, baily, shaw then three in midfield, fellani as a BWM, Herrera as a AP and pogba DLP, mata as a treq/enganche ans then rashford  as a poacher and ibra as a target man support. Sorry if this is typed up disgracefully lol I'm on my iPad. 

I have just started trying 4312 as a back up to my customary 433 tactic and it has been producing some great results. Beat arsenal 7-3 with 4312 as both ibra and rashford scored hattricks and a belter from pogba

how did you get 42 mil for jones? Haha he's worth a tenth of that

3 hours ago, thim1993 said:

I have just started trying 4312 as a back up to my customary 433 tactic and it has been producing some great results. Beat arsenal 7-3 with 4312 as both ibra and rashford scored hattricks and a belter from pogba

how did you get 42 mil for jones? Haha he's worth a tenth of that

Mind sharing some more detail/info regarding your tactics?

10 hours ago, thim1993 said:

How did you get 42 mil for jones? Haha he's worth a tenth of that

I was playing him at RB when darmian got injured and he was playing fantastic, assist after assist bombing it down the wing as a CWB, his value was 24.5m in January, I rejected a 30m bid then he kicked up a fuss and said he wanted to go, offered him out for 42 and Tottenham bid it. 

The 4312 I'm using shaw and Valencia as attacking full backs, with carrick/Morgan as deep lying playmaker. Then I have pogba as box to box with instruction to move into channels and then Herrera as advanced playmaker with instruction to get further forward.mikki/mata just as standard attacking midfielder as a 10. Then I have zlatan as complete forward on support and martial as advanced forward

Team instructions are to close down more, more direct passing, prevent GK short distribution, then to be more expressive and to hit early crosses

13 hours ago, thim1993 said:

The 4312 I'm using shaw and Valencia as attacking full backs, with carrick/Morgan as deep lying playmaker. Then I have pogba as box to box with instruction to move into channels and then Herrera as advanced playmaker with instruction to get further forward.mikki/mata just as standard attacking midfielder as a 10. Then I have zlatan as complete forward on support and martial as advanced forward

Team instructions are to close down more, more direct passing, prevent GK short distribution, then to be more expressive and to hit early crosses

The team is actually quite suited for this formation. Maybe something Mourinho should try IRL.

Are you playing flexible/standard or a more structured philosophy? I'm curious if the match engine is good enough to have the outer midfielders press to the side of the pitch or if the central midfielders are all cluttered together. I might need to try this out myself when I get back home tonight.

Flexible and standard philosophy. Match engine is actually quite good, with pogba on instruction to move into channels he covers the left side very well and Herrera also drifts to the right slightly to cover and press. Actually works quite well and you can see these subtle movements in the match engine

Archived