The defensive stalemate

Hey guys,

Just wondering, is it possible to create a tactic so defensive (and boring) that most games end in a 0-0 stalemate with few chances to both teams? I believe a good tactic needs to be defensively solid, so I've been trying to create this unbreakable wall and then adjust from there, but I always end up getting destroyed by the opposition.

Any suggestions? Any formation will do really, I'm not picky at this stage.

What sort of things have you tried?

I've somewhat settled for a 4-1-4-1. Roles and duties have varied, but I've mainly been thinking defensive or counter mentalities, and TI's for close down less (keep shape), shorter passing (don't give the ball away), play out of defense (don't rush it), work ball into box (be patient). Not really working.

To be fair I've tried lots of things and it has come to a point where I select things and instructions on random just to see what happens. I'm feeling clueless on how to lock down a game. Hence my original question.

Well, the 1st thing that comes to my mind when you say "boring" is Parreira's Brazil.

There's a big difference between low possession defensive mentality and high possession "boreness".

If you use the "if they don't have the ball, they can't score" motto, you can try a very high possession style, but without looking to score. Like, as safe as possible.

In theory, this would cause the opposition to press higher and higher and open space.

Archived