The 92 club: You’ve got to be able to do better than that!

binny

30. The Stadium, Upminster (Attendance: 1395)

25 September 2004 – English Conference South: Hornchurch vs Grays

Hornchurch have the reputation of being the “Chelsea of non-league football†due to their wealthy backer. As a result, fans will be expecting the side to at least push for promotion to the Conference National. They’ve made a good start as well, going into today’s match in second place.

There was some good football on view in the first half, with Horchurch having the greater number of chances – but finding the target less often than Grays.

Things were much the same after the break, and the incessant pressure from the home side finally told when Kirk Jackson somehow squeezed the ball into the net. A minute later it got worse for Grays when Ricky DeFreitas pulled down a Hornchurch player in the box. He was sent off, and Danny Shipp blasted home the penalty.

It was very easy for Hornchurch after that as Grays just couldn’t get back into the game. Results elsewhere were also good news for the home side; they now topped the division.

Games watched: 30

Total mileage: 9700

Total number of goals witnessed: 91 [+27] (3.03 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 10 (0.33 per game)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31. Priestfield, Gillingham (Attendance: 11561)

26 September 2004 – English Championship: Gillingham vs Watford

I think even the most die-hard Gillingham fans would have been surprised to see their side right up there at the top of the Championship, even if it is still very early on in the season. Watford are moving along comfortably in mid-table, and that’s probably where they’ll finish the season.

There wasn’t much action early on, and it required Ian Cox’s powerful header from a corner to liven things up. Five minutes later Chris Hope blasted in through a crowded box to double the lead for the Gills, and it was all one-way traffic as the Hornets struggled to hold on.

Watford did show a few signs of recovering early in the second half, but Gillingham scored a third through Paul Smith’s free kick on 62, and that was effectively it. Watford struggled to make any impression on the Gillingham defence, and the result pushed Gillingham up to second; a fantastic achievement for the club.

Games watched: 31

Total mileage: 9730

Total number of goals witnessed: 94 [+27] (3.03 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 10 (0.32 per game)

Don't worry PM7 - I won't beat you to the Biggest Ego award next year icon_eek.gif It just says that I'm on my way to qualifying as a Chartered Accountant. icon14.gif

glamdring - Thanks for the kind words. And it's amazing what a road map will show you icon_biggrin.gif

32. Selhurst Park, London (Attendance: 23896)

27 September 2004 – English Premiership: Crystal Palace vs Blackburn

Palace have found the step-up to the Premiership difficult to negotiate, but they know that Blackburn at home is one of those games from which they must at least get something if they are going to have any chance of survival come the end of the season.

Palace started quite well, and with just twelve minutes gone Danny Butterfield’s wickedly deflected free kick found the back of the net and Palace were ahead. Blackburn looked dangerous on the attack, but Palace seemed quite capable of keeping them at bay.

That though can be a dangerous ploy, and six minutes before the break Blackburn were level; Francisco Javier De Pedro turning neatly in the box and firing past Kiraly.

Palace continued to fight after the break, and ten minutes in Michael Hughes restored the lead for The Eagles with another free kick that deflected in. The game petered out soon after, but Blackburn sensed their chance, and with twenty minutes to play Matt Jansen got in to equalise for a second time.

Palace would have settled for a draw, and as the game entered the third minute of injury time, it appeared that they would. But they conceded a corner. The ball fell to Turkish midfielder Tugay who neatly turned and shot past Kiraly to win the game for Rovers with the last kick of the game.

Games watched: 32

Total mileage: 9766

Total number of goals witnessed: 99 [+27] (3.09 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 10 (0.31 per game)

Indeed! I was all set to post that I was sure Dingwall was furthest North, then thought I ought to actually check in my atlas since you wouldn't have siad it without checking first icon_biggrin.gif

Interesting to keep track of your total mileage and mileage per game - reminds me of a TV series in which a comedian called Dave Gorman attempted to find some number (~60 mebee) of others around the world called Dave Gorman whilst trying to keep his "miles per Dave Gorman" counter as low as possible icon_razz.gif

The difference (presumably) is that he had to be pay for petrol and other travel expenses icon_eek.gif

33. Edgar Street, Hereford (Attendance: 1312)

28 September 2004 – English LDV Vans Trophy, Southern Section, First Round: Hereford vs Bristol Rovers

The LDV Vans Trophy. What a waste of time. Still, it’s a competition and some managers do take it somewhat seriously. I went for this game due to the sincere possibility of an upset; Hereford of the Conference, should give struggling League Two side Bristol Rovers a tough time.

Perhaps I was being punished for my disparaging thoughts about this competition, or perhaps it confirmed my view that no one took it too seriously. Either way, it was a poor game for long periods, and even the efforts on goal rarely got anywhere close to the actual target.

It took some substitutions in the second half to liven things up, and with seventeen minutes to go Craig Stanley bulleted in an effort past the Rovers’ keeper to put Hereford ahead. Another substitute, Andy Tretton, wrapped up the victory in injury time, cracking home a 25-yard free kick.

Games watched: 33

Total mileage: 9908

Total number of goals witnessed: 101 [+27] (3.06 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 10 (0.30 per game)

34. Central Park, Cowdenbeath (Attendance: 1301)

29 September 2004 – Scottish League Cup, Second Round: Cowdenbeath vs Hamilton

It was a long drive up to Cowdenbeath, but I set out early and arrived in plenty of time. I often feel that there isn’t much of a gap between the first and third divisions of Scottish football, and today would provide a chance to support, or dismiss, my thoughts. Cowdenbeath, in the third division, would surely fancy their chances at home, in a cup-tie, to first division Hamilton.

Hamilton looked good early on, and were determined not to slip up. Nine minutes in Scott Tunbridge had them ahead, and Cowdenbeath were still in the dressing room. Hamilton continued to dominate, but they were caught on the break by the home side as John Fallon scored an equaliser completely against the run of play.

Hamilton continued to cause problems, but they couldn’t get another goal, and they went in level at the break. Something must have been said in the Cowdenbeath dressing room at half time because they came out with all cylinders firing in the second half, and within two minutes Iain Mauchlen had them ahead. Hamilton now had to chase the game, but they didn’t seem up for it, and Cowdenbeath held them at arm’s length with relative ease.

Five minutes from time Steven Boyle scored a third for the home side, and it all got too much for Hamilton’s Ryan Blackadder, and he was shown a red card in the penultimate minute.

Games watched: 34

Total mileage: 10250

Total number of goals witnessed: 105 [+27] (3.09 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 11 (0.32 per game)

35. Tynecastle Park, Edinburgh (Attendance: 15486)

30 September 2004 – UEFA Cup, First Round, Second Leg: Hearts (1) vs Rijeka (1) (Croatia)

Hearts did well to get a draw in Croatia a fortnight ago, but it’s still very tight ahead of the second leg. They know that a clean sheet will see them through come what may, but surely they can’t rely on it. This is my sixth game in as many days, and I’m hoping for a decent game to keep my awake.

Hearts did well early on, causing their opponents all sorts of problems. Rijeka had to rely on counter attacks, and they did show signs that they could get that crucial away goal. Goals were hard to come by though, but ten minutes before the break Josip Kovac struck Hearts on the break and gave the Croats the lead.

Hearts knew what they had to do come the second half, and ten minutes in Joe Hamill headed in a corner to level up the scores, both on the night and on aggregate. Hearts were much the better side from then on, and Rijeka were penned back for long periods. There were no more goals though, but Rijeka had Kresimir Pamic sent off in the dying moments.

With the aggregate scores level, and away goals unable to separate the sides, the tie went into an extra 30 minutes to determine a winner. With a man advantage, Hearts started to turn the screw, and six minutes in Phil Stamp put Hearts in front. Three minutes before half time in extra time Steven Pressley headed in from a corner, and Hearts were just about there. They had enough chances to score a fourth in the second half, but it took until the final minute for Ramón Pereira to hit a fourth as Hearts made it through to the group stages.

Games watched: 35

Total mileage: 10642

Total number of goals witnessed: 110 [+27] (3.14 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 12 (0.34 per game)

Summary – September 2004

Days: 30

Grounds visited: 17

4 at English Premiership

2 at English Championship

2 at English League One

2 at English Conference National

1 at English Conference North

1 at English Conference South

2 at Scottish Premier League

1 at Scottish First Division

2 at Scottish Third Division

Attendances at matches watched:

English Premiership: 150776 (37694 per game)

English Championship: 31283 (15642 per game)

English League One: 36312 (18156 per game)

English Conference National: 1866 (933 per game)

English Conference North: 341 (341 per game)

English Conference South: 1395 (1395 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 76275 (38138 per game)

Scottish First Division: 1837 (1837 per game)

Scottish Third Division: 2543 (1272 per game)

Overall record so far

Days: 62

Grounds visited: 35

6 at English Premiership

3 at English Championship

5 at English League One

1 at English League Two

3 at English Conference National

2 at English Conference North

2 at English Conference South

7 at Scottish Premier League

2 at Scottish First Division

4 at Scottish Third Division

English Premiership: 201172 (33529 per game)

English Championship: 49390 (16463 per game)

English League One: 68876 (13775 per game)

English League Two: 4561 (4561 per game)

English Conference National: 2581 (860 per game)

English Conference North: 1055 (528 per game)

English Conference South: 2151 (1076 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 162749 (23250 per game)

Scottish First Division: 6210 (3105 per game)

Scottish Third Division: 5113 (1278 per game)

36. Rockingham Road, Kettering (Attendance: 1584)

2 October 2004 – English FA Cup, Second Qualifying Round: Kettering vs Bishop’s Stortford

We’ve only just entered October, but already the FA Cup has started, and we’re already at the stage where the sixth tier clubs come in. This particular game is a North versus South tie, although I’m not exactly sure how Kettering qualifies as North.

The home side were in the Conference proper just a few years ago, and they still showed some superior quality over their opponents. Seven minutes in they were ahead when Wayne Diuk headed in from a corner, and the winger scored a second on 14 as Kettering got off to a stormer.

Bishop’s Stortford finally realised that they had to show some grit and determination, and they started to make inroads into the Kettering defence. But it was in the final third that they failed to make anything count, and they were still two goals down at the break.

Any hopes the visitors had to getting through to the next round were extinguished after just seven minutes of the second half when they conceded a penalty, and Darren Lynch put it away for 3-0. Bishop’s Stortford did try at least to get a consolation as the game wore on, but they didn’t and Lynch headed in a fourth with ten minutes to go.

It wasn’t a particularly fair result on the visitors, but Kettering’s superb finishing punished them heavily.

Games watched: 36

Total mileage: 10711

Total number of goals witnessed: 114 [+27] (3.17 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 12 (0.33 per game)

37. Bramall Lane, Sheffield (Attendance: 9114)

3 October 2004 – English Championship: Sheffield United vs Plymouth

Both sides are struggling at the foot of the Championship at this early stage. And although it’s not too surprising to see Plymouth there following their promotion, The Blades’ position is somewhat surprising given their recent history of challenging for the play-off positions.

It was important for both sides to get off to a good start, and within five minutes United put together a wonderful move that was finished off by a Jack Lester goal. Plymouth didn’t really know what had happened to them, and with seventeen minutes gone Lester bagged his second of the afternoon.

Within two minutes though Argyle had a goal back as Mickey Evans took down a free kick and fired in past Kenny. But the hope given to Plymouth by that goal was soon lost as Andy Gray restored the two-goal advantage just seven minutes later.

Lee Makel pulled another goal back just before half time, but with an hour gone substitute Danny Cadamarteri scored his first goal for The Blades to put them 4-2 up. Plymouth had no reply after that; slipping into the relegation zone and struggling for survival.

Games watched: 37

Total mileage: 10796

Total number of goals witnessed: 120 [+27] (3.24 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 12 (0.32 per game)

38. Villa Park, Birmingham (Attendance: 42568)

4 October 2004 – English Premiership: Aston Villa vs West Brom

Villa Park is one of the most impressive grounds in the country, and upon arrival I fully understand why so many important games, such as FA Cup semi-finals and Conference play-off finals, are played here.

The local fans have had to endure a torrid start to the season, and going into the game Villa are only just above the relegation zone. The Baggies too are also struggling, but their plight isn’t as much of a surprise following their promotion last season.

It wasn’t hard to see why both sides were struggling, for although both sides created chances early on, neither goalkeeper was unduly tested as efforts went both high and wide. Villa were looking the more dangerous, and with 25 minutes goal Vassell’s centre was turned into his own net by Martin Albrechtsen.

West Brom now had to come out and attack, but again they lacked the cutting edge, and Villa were comfortably ahead at half time. Things were a little quiet early in the second half, but soon there was action again when West Brom were reduced to ten men due to the sending off of Neil Clement.

Villa were rampant after that as they tried to close out the game, but again poor finishing prevented them, and occasionally West Brom tried to equalise on the break. In the end, there were no more goals as Villa eased themselves away from the relegation zone.

Games watched: 38

Total mileage: 10974

Total number of goals witnessed: 121 [+27] (3.18 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.34 per game)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Villa Park is one of the most impressive grounds in the country, and upon arrival I fully understand why so many important games, such as FA Cup semi-finals and Conference play-off finals, are played here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif Of course. Scrappy derby win - I'll take that icon14.gificon_wink.gif

Brian - I've never actually been to Villa Park, but it was a good assumption. Either that or they want somehwhere in the middle of the country, and St. Andrews just doesn't do it icon_eek.gif

39. Palmerston Park, Dumfries (Attendance: 2445)

6 October 2004 – Scottish League Cup, Second Round: Queen of the South vs Motherwell

I think I’ve said it before, but where on earth do some of these club names come from? How am I supposed to know that Queen of the South come from Dumfries? Anyway, I got there in the end, and was hoping that the home side might be able to put up a good fight against their SPL opponents.

Queen of the South started quite well, and produced a few attempts of goal in the opening few moments. Motherwell soon got into their stride and got in a few efforts of their own, but they didn’t really look like they could be too bothered as they squandered the few chances that they did make. Five minutes before the break ‘Well were awarded a somewhat dubious penalty, but justice was done when David Clarkson’s effort was turned behind by the goalkeeper.

I thought that Queen of the South would be buoyed by that stroke of luck, but seven minutes into the second half David Partridge headed in to give Motherwell the lead. ‘Well could, and probably should, have wrapped the game up in the minutes after taking the lead, but slowly Queen of the South sensed that they might just be able to get an equaliser as they gradually attacked. It was hearts-in-the-mouth stuff as chances fell by the wayside, but as the game entered injury time Emilio Jaconelli got to the ball ahead of the Motherwell goalkeeper to send the game into an extra 30 minutes.

Motherwell were shell-shocked by that last-gasp equaliser, and Queen of the South sensed their opportunity. They had a number of chances in the first period, and as it came to a close, they were awarded a penalty and Chris Armstrong made no mistake.

With two minutes to go at the very end of extra time Jaconelli scored a third, and although Phil O’Donnell pulled a goal back right at the death, it was too little too late for the SPL side.

Games watched: 39

Total mileage: 11620

Total number of goals witnessed: 126 [+27] (3.23 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.33 per game)

40. Halton Stadium, Widnes (Attendance: 886)

16 October 2004 – English FA Cup, Third Qualifying Round: Runcorn vs Oxford City

It’s been 10 days since my last game due to the international break, and it’s just a relief to get back into the groove. With a trip to Scotland coming up tomorrow, I had decided that I would travel up North for an FA Cup tie today. Unfortunately, there were no games hosted by a Conference North side against a side from the same level, so I pipped for this game. I’ve got no idea how good Oxford City are in relation to Runcorn, but surely they would give a good account of themselves.

There wasn’t much action in the opening twelve minutes, but then Runcorn were awarded a penalty, and Ged Courtney put the home side ahead. Oxford City tried the occasional counter-attack without much success, and on the half hour John Robertson headed in from a corner to double Runcorn’s lead.

After the break Oxford City made more of a fist of the game, but Runcorn were happy to stifle the game and not give their visitors much chance of getting a goal. They did get one fifteen minutes from time through Danny Watson’s pile-driver, but they never looked like getting another and Runcorn advanced to the Fourth Qualifying Round.

Games watched: 40

Total mileage: 11799

Total number of goals witnessed: 129 [+27] (3.23 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.33 per game)

41. Pittodrie, Aberdeen (Attendance: 6209)

17 October 2004 – Scottish Premier League: Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Motherwell

Due to SPL regulations, Inverness have not been allowed to host home games at their own stadium, and have to travel to Aberdeen for home matches. It probably explains the small crowd at Pittodrie; although a struggling side could help to explain that as well. Motherwell actually come into the game in second place – and that’s a fantastic achievement for them.

But it was Caley who played the better football in the first half, although to be honest, neither side created too much in front of goals. Midway through the first half Inverness took the lead against the run of play as Paul McMullan broke, and they eased through to half time, still a goal up.

Motherwell were much improved in the second half, and began to lay siege to the Inverness defence and goal. Many chances though failed to hit the target, and when they did, Inverness were more than equipped to deal with it. It became more and more desperate as the match wore on, and just to rub salt into the wounds of the Motherwell faithful, Liam Fox cracked home a free kick two minutes from time to wrap up a very useful victory for Caley Thistle.

Games watched: 41

Total mileage: 12626

Total number of goals witnessed: 131 [+27] (3.20 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.32 per game)

42. Church Road, Hayes (Attendance: 418)

19 October 2004 – English Conference South: Hayes vs Dorchester

Two mid-table sides without much hope of doing anything special this season is what beholds me today. Hayes were in the Conference National for a few seasons, but this is probably where they belong. But perhaps the most interesting aspect of the game is having to sing loud enough to drown out the noise of the planes coming into Heathrow.

I saw Dorchester up at Cambridge City earlier on in the city, and I had pinpointed my danger man; Spanish forward Juan Ugarte. Seemingly, the Hayes scouting system had failed to pick him up, as he was left with far too much room to put his side ahead after just seven minutes.

But following that, Hayes started to produce the goods; forcing Dorchester onto the back foot as they searched for an equaliser. The game was by no means a classic, and far too many chances went nowhere near the goal. But twenty minutes into the second half poor defending allowed Alan Reid to get in and round the Dorchester goalkeeper to equalise for the home side.

The game petered out after that, with neither side wanting to chance losing a goal on the counterattack. As a result, the game meandered to it’s finish, and a 1-1 draw was just about right for both sides.

Games watched: 42

Total mileage: 12660

Total number of goals witnessed: 133 [+27] (3.17 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.31 per game)

43. National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes (Attendance: 3357)

20 October 2004 – English League One: MK Dons vs Barnsley

The furore surrounding Wimbledon’s move to Milton Keynes has largely quietened down now, with most people resigned to the decision that the FA took – or going off to support AFC Wimbledon. I probably tended to sympathise with those against the move, but there’s no room for sentiment in this challenge.

It wasn’t all that long ago that both MK Dons, or Wimbledon as they were known then, and Barnsley were playing in the Premiership, so it’s a little sad to see both sides struggling at the foot of League One. MK Dons occupy the last relegation spot, and Barnsley are only a few points and places above them. Both sides will see this match as a must-win, but neither can afford to lose.

It was a pretty poor first half in terms of attacking, free-flowing football, although both sides did produce a few good moves, with Barnsley perhaps shading it. But just before half time it was the Dons who took the lead, Laurent Hervé heading in.

The goal gave MK Dons a lot of hope, and they dominated proceedings in the second period. Most of their chances came from set pieces, but they couldn’t push home the advantage. But just as it looked like the home side would be taking home all three points, Barnsley broke quickly and Michael Boulding equalised with just four minutes left.

There was more action to come though. Dons retook the lead in the 89th minute as Allan Smart headed home a corner, only for Boulding to latch onto a long throw and earn Barnsley a point that did nothing for either side’s chances of escaping relegation.

Games watched: 43

Total mileage: 12738

Total number of goals witnessed: 137 [+27] (3.19 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.30 per game)

44. Vauxhall Sports Ground, Ellesmere Port (Attendance: 335)

23 October 2004 – English Conference North: Vauxhall Motors vs Gainsborough

One of the great things about this challenge is that I get to go to some really obscure places; places that I didn’t even know existed. It’s a good thing that I’ve got access to the Internet and an A-Z.

You’ve probably heard of Vauxhall Motors; they beat QPR a few years back in the FA Cup. But they’ve not managed to do much in the league since then, and currently prop up the Conference North. Gainsborough aren’t doing much better, and I’m hoping that this game is riddled with defensive mistakes as both sides try to outscore the other.

Gainsborough came out of the blocks a lot quicker than their opponents. Four minutes in, Carl Smith diverted a cross into the net, and with eight minutes gone Gareth Grant doubled the lead. Gainsborough tried hard to score a killer third, Vauxhall somehow held out, and gradually got back into the game. They didn’t look particularly threatening, but seven minutes before the break Gareth Hooper pulled a goal back.

It was more of the same stuff early in the second half, and Gainsborough restored their two-goal advantage ten minutes in; Grant poking in the ball from a long free kick. And then, one of the strangest sights ever seen in a football match. It might have been fitting in a testimonial, but that didn’t stop Gainsborough goalkeeper Jamie Holmshaw coming up to take a free kick - and he scored.

Three minutes later though Paul Hart pulled one back for the home side on his debut, and Hooper made it 3-4 on 72. But try as they might Vauxhall found themselves frustrated as they searched for an equaliser; Gainsborough working out how to stifle their attacks. But in the second minute of injury time Neil Ashton managed to get in and Vauxhall Motors had come back from 4-1 down to claim a four-all draw.

Games watched: 44

Total mileage: 12919

Total number of goals witnessed: 145 [+27] (3.30 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.30 per game)

45. Molineux, Wolverhampton (Attendance: 28629)

24 October 2004 – English Championship: Wolves vs Derby

Following yesterday’s exciting game, I was hoping for more of the same from these two. Derby continue to struggle at the foot of the Championship, and Wolves aren’t faring too well either following their relegation last time out.

Wolves attacked from the opening minute, causing the Rams problems all afternoon. They were helped by a 14th-minute goal from Joleon Lescott, a powerful header from a corner.

Wolves continued to threaten throughout the match; but a combination of luck, good defending and excellent goalkeeping kept Derby from falling further behind. And while it was still 1-0, there was always the possibility that Derby would take one of their rare chances of the break, and the home fans were getting edgy. In the end, the one goal was enough to win the game, lifting Wolves into mid-table safety.

Games watched: 45

Total mileage: 13103

Total number of goals witnessed: 146 [+27] (3.24 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.29 per game)

46. White Hart Lane, London (Attendance: 32361)

26 October 2004 – English League Cup, Third Round: Tottenham vs Manchester United

This competition is usually maligned by the top clubs, but both sides put out almost full first teams, with only a few reserve players on show. It was certainly a turn up for the books – but hopefully meant a better game.

Spurs were very neat in their build-up play, but they didn’t really get anywhere near the United goal. At the other end, United were causing problems, and fifteen minutes in wonderkid Wayne Rooney put them ahead as he neatly lifted the ball over Paul Robinson and the ball rested in the back of the net. It was a truly magnificent goal.

Even after falling behind Spurs never looked like scoring, and United continued to threaten periodically. The pattern continued into the second half, and with an hour gone Cristiano Ronaldo ran through the Tottenham defence and placed the ball past Robinson into the net.

It was only then that Spurs showed any sort of form, and with a few substitutes on, started to cause problems. Still, the United defence held out quite well, and they were through to the fourth round.

Games watched: 46

Total mileage: 13127

Total number of goals witnessed: 148 [+27] (3.22 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.28 per game)

47. The Moss Rose Ground, Macclesfield (Attendance: 6333)

27 October 2004 – English League Cup, Third Round: Macclesfield vs Liverpool

Coming into this round, there were only two League Two sides left in the competition, and Macclesfield were the only one at home (the other was Oxford by the way). So, given that they were up against Liverpool, this was an obvious choice to watch.

Liverpool showed in their line-up that they had intentions of going all the way in this competition, but five minutes into the game Macclesfield were awarded a dubious free kick, and Matthew Tipton put the League Two side ahead from 25 yards. They might have had another through another free kick, and soon Liverpool were pouring forward. A combination of poor finishing and desperate defending kept them out, but with half an hour gone a neat move ended with one of the Liverpool youngsters, John Welsh, finding himself in ample space to equalise with his first goal for his club.

It was more of the same in the second half, but Macclesfield defended heroically, and kept the incessant pressure at bay. I felt sure that they would eventually crack, but they didn’t, and somehow Macclesfield had taken Liverpool into extra time.

Things continued in the same vein in extra time, and there were still no goals as we entered into the last fifteen minutes. But then, disaster – for Maccelsfield at least. Having tried everything under the sun, Harry Kewell let fly towards goal from the left flank, and the ball rifled into the top far corner and Macclesfield were beaten.

It was harsh on the home side, but at least they made Liverpool win it with a fantastic goal.

Games watched: 47

Total mileage: 13437

Total number of goals witnessed: 151 [+27] (3.21 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.28 per game)

48. War Memorial Sports Ground, Carshalton (Attendance: 3697)

30 October 2004 – English FA Cup, Fourth Qualifying Round: Carshalton vs Hereford

I decided to be environmentally friendly today, and took the Thameslink through London and into Surrey. I think the locals prefer the reference to Surrey rather than South London. Anyway, the home side are playing in the Conference South this season, and would hope to acquit themselves favourably against Conference side Hereford, making their first appearance in the competition this season.

But for all of the romance of the FA Cup, it was a bit of a drab affair in the first half. Chances were few and far between, and there was not even one effort on target in the first forty-five minutes. Be that as it may, Carshalton were showing the better form and the more likely to score.

The second half had to be better, and it was – markedly so. Hereford started to strut their stuff and make inroads into the Carshalton defence, and although they hit woodwork twice, they didn’t manage to score.

Neither did Carshalton, and so the tie would go to a replay at Edgar Street in the next week or so.

Games watched: 48

Total mileage: 13485

Total number of goals witnessed: 151 [+27] (3.15 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.27 per game)

Summary – October 2004

Days: 31

Grounds visited: 13

2 at English Premiership

2 at English Championship

1 at English League One

1 at English League Two

3 at English Conference North

1 at Scottish Premier League

English Premiership: 74929 (37465 per game)

English Championship: 37743 (18872 per game)

English League One: 3357 (3357 per game)

English League Two: 6333 (6333 per game)

English Conference North: 2805 (935 per game)

English Conference South: 4115 (2058 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 6209 (6209 per game)

Scottish First Division: 2445 (2445 per game)

Overall record so far

Days: 93

Grounds visited: 48

8 at English Premiership

5 at English Championship

6 at English League One

2 at English League Two

5 at English Conference North

4 at English Conference South

8 at Scottish Premier League

3 at Scottish First Division

English Premiership: 276101 (34513 per game)

English Championship: 87133 (17427 per game)

English League One: 72233 (12039 per game)

English League Two: 10894 (5447 per game)

English Conference North: 3860 (772 per game)

English Conference South: 6266 (1567 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 168958 (21120 per game)

Scottish First Division: 8655 (2885 per game)

Thanks Seol icon14.gif

49. The Hawthorns, West Bromwich (Attendance: 27906)

1 November 2004 – English Premiership: West Brom vs Fulham

Another day, another relegation battle. Fulham are rock bottom of the Premiership, and West Brom are only two places above them in the table. A draw will see the Baggies jump a place, but they’ll want more from this important game.

It was an interesting tie, with both sides showing great endeavour, but without ever really getting very close to the goal. It was the home side who had the better of the first half, with Jason Koumas looking imperious as he pulled the strings in the West Brom midfield.

It was still goalless at half time, and after the break the Cottagers looked a lot better. Andy Cole missed a glorious chance when clean through on goal, and there were a few other chances at both ends that went begging.

In the end though, a 0-0 draw was right for the match, and showed up just why both clubs are struggling at the wrong end of the division – an inability to convert chances into goals.

Games watched: 49

Total mileage: 13591

Total number of goals witnessed: 151 [+27] (3.08 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.27 per game)

50. Gay Meadow, Shrewsbury (Attendance: 1228)

2 November 2004 – English LDV Vans Trophy, Northern Section, Second Round: Shrewsbury vs Hartlepool

I’m pretty close to the Welsh border tonight for this League Two versus League One cup-tie. Both sides were promoted from their respective divisions last season, and having seen Hartlepool turn over Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season, I can’t see them being on the wrong end of an upset. But you never know – and that’s why I love football.

The side from the North-East were clearly in no mood to give their hosts a chance, and within two minutes Jack Ross had opened his account for the club to open the scoring. The Shrews showed a few good moves as they looked to get back into the game, but for the most part, Hartlepool did a sterling effort in closing them down. Even when they did get through, Jim Provett was in good form in goal. And just to show how good they are, Eifion Williams made it 2-0 on the stroke of half time.

It was more of the same in the second half; Hartlepool doing a good job on preventing Shrewsbury from registering too many efforts on goal whilst also taking their opportunities on the break. In the end though, the visitors were content to sit and defend what they had, and they eased through to the Northern Quarter Finals.

Games watched: 50

Total mileage: 13632

Total number of goals witnessed: 153 [+27] (3.06 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.26 per game)

This is a very interesting read - would be nice to see a summary of the best crowd song you heard all day. You'll get a few really good (and abusive) ones at the Kassam stadium in Oxford.

Oh yeah, in the second season what do you do about the newly promoted Tier-6 teams and the freshly relegated ones that swapped places with them?

Frankles - I have something planned, don't you worry icon_razz.gif

51. Glebe Park, Brechin (Attendance: 3442)

3 November 2004 – Scottish League Cup, Third Round: Brechin vs Dundee United

I’m entering into the second quarter of the challenge, and I’m somewhat ashamed to say that this is my first trip to Scottish Second Division ground. But anyway, Dundee United are struggling at the bottom of the SPL, and Brechin will fancy their chances today.

And Brechin couldn’t have asked for a better start; with eleven minutes gone Charlie King followed up to turn a loose ball into the net. The visitors didn’t seem to be all that bothered, and midway through the first half Brechin, who had been causing problems, doubled their lead as a neat through-ball was finished off well by Paul Ritchie.

Slowly, and very slowly, Dundee United started to show some heart, and began to probe at the Brechin defence. Mostly though Brechin held out quite well, but they did require their goalkeeper to make a few good saves as well.

The game was effectively over when Chris Templeman converted a free kick move into a third goal with twenty minutes left, and although Dundee United had the ball in the back of the net late on, their effort was ruled out for offside, and Brechin had pulled off a great result to make it through to the quarterfinals.

Games watched: 51

Total mileage: 13984

Total number of goals witnessed: 156 [+27] (3.06 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 13 (0.25 per game)

52. St. James’s Park, Newcastle (Attendance: 48101)

4 November 2004 – UEFA Cup, Group Stage: Newcastle vs Villarreal (Spain)

Both games in the opening round of matches in this group were drawn, and although both Newcastle and Villarreal are expected to do well in the competition, they will both be desperate for a win to give them a bit of breathing space.

It was a very physical game early on – neither midfield giving much away in the early stages. Gradually the Spaniards started to show their quality and they eked out a few chances that Newcastle dealt with quite comfortably. The Magpies also created the odd opportunity without managing a goal, but four minutes before the break Villarreal broke quickly through Brazilian winger Roger, and he finished off his move with a wonderful strike to give his side the lead.

Newcastle had to attack in the second half, and that’s exactly what they did. But in doing so, they left themselves vulnerable at the back, although Villarreal couldn’t take advantage. There were numerous chances throughout the second half, and the home fans were getting increasingly nervous.

But cometh the hour, cometh the man. Newcastle won a corner with six minutes to go, and still trailing by a goal to nil. The corner was swung in and the header went towards goal. It would have just crept past the far post though had Alan Shearer not been on hand to divert the ball into the net.

It was no less than Newcastle deserved, but both sides will see the draw as a missed opportunity.

Games watched: 52

Total mileage: 14439

Total number of goals witnessed: 158 [+27] (3.04 per game)

53. Giant Axe, Lancaster (Attendance: 240)

6 November 2004 – English FA Trophy, First Round: Lancaster vs Bishop Auckland

I’m still unsure whether the Trophy is the non-league equivalent of the League Cup or LDV Vans Trophy, but whatever it is, there was a poor crowd at Lancaster – a town known for it’s sporting University. Bishop Auckland are at least one division below – I didn’t do enough homework to find out exactly where they were. And one last thought – what a great name for a stadium!

A few years ago I was watching Match of the Day on one of the FA Cup days, and Morecambe had a striker going by the name of Ryan-Zico Black. His middle name came about because his dad really liked the Brazilian apparently. I never knew what happened to him, but apparently he’s ended up at Lancaster, and twelve minutes in he put the home side ahead after a terrible goalkeeping mistake from the Bishop Auckland goalkeeper. A minute later Michael Yates grabbed a second, and it seemed plain sailing for Lancaster.

And in truth, it was. Bishop Auckland showed a few glimpses of getting back into the game, but Lancaster easily dealt with these and built their own moves. Ten minutes before half time Phil Clarkson scored Lancaster’s third with a totally unexpected strike from outside the box, and early in the second half Yates capitalised on another goalkeeping howler to make it 4-0.

Lancaster could probably have scored a few more had they wanted to, but being a cup-tie it was the result, not the score that mattered. So they eased up and let the game drift towards it end as they eased through to the second round.

Games watched: 53

Total mileage: 14666

Total number of goals witnessed: 162 [+27] (3.06 per game)

54. Elland Road, Leeds (Attendance: 24000)

7 November 2004 – English Championship: Leeds vs Sheffield United

A local derby between two sides that are performing well below expectations this season. Leeds’ problems are well documented, but I still expected them to be doing better than fighting against a second successive relegation. The Blades should be up challenging for the playoff places; instead they’re only a few places above their Yorkshire rivals.

Leeds started poorly, never getting to grips with the early pressure that Sheffield United put on them, and the home fans were silenced after fifteen minutes when Jack Lester put them ahead. They might have scored another as the first half wore on, but so could have Leeds as they started to show some grit and determination to get back into the game.

Leeds were handed a lifeline just before half time when The Blades had Chris Morgan sent off, and in the second half Leeds set about laying siege to the Sheffield United goal in search of an equaliser. But this Leeds side is a patch of even that from last season, and the inexperience clearly showed as chances continually went begging. That’s not to say that the Sheffield United defence didn’t play their part, but they had the better nous, and held out for a well-fought 1-0 victory to move them towards mid-table safety.

Games watched: 54

Total mileage: 14920

Total number of goals witnessed: 163 [+27] (3.02 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 14 (0.26 per game)

55. Watnall Road, Hucknall (Attendance: 728)

9 November 2004 – English Conference North: Hucknall vs Stafford Rangers

The drive up to Nottinghamshire was pleasant enough; but being on 119 miles from London, I’m surprised that Hucknall are considered North for the purposes of splitting the clubs in the sixth tier. Anyway, this game should be decent enough; it’s a mid-table clash.

Hucknall played some good football early on, and with twelve minutes gone Shaun Harrad put them ahead. Stafford were not really at the races during the first half, and Hucknall missed a number of chances to extend their lead, and were still only one up at half time.

The second half was much more even as Stafford started to show some intent, but Hucknall were also looking for another goal. Chances went begging at both ends, but soon the efforts dried up as legs tired due to the effort made. In the end, both sides failed to increase the goal tally, and Hucknall took all three points.

Games watched: 55

Total mileage: 15039

Total number of goals witnessed: 164 [+27] (2.98 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 14 (0.25 per game)

56. The City Ground, Nottingham (Attendance: 26063)

10 November 2004 – English League Cup, Fourth Round: Nottingham Forest vs Portsmouth

It’s only a short journey from Hucknall to Nottinham, and I’m really exciting about this tie. Forest are riding high in the Championship; Portsmouth are mid-table in the Premiership, and I fully expect the home side to run their opponents close.

The Championship side didn’t start too well though. Alan Rogers conceded a penalty in just the fourth minute, and David Unsworth rifled the penalty into the back of the net. Four minutes later though Forest got themselves level; David Johnson getting the final touch to restore parity.

Forest now believed in themselves, and they had the better chances of the first half. Pompey were left to play long balls forward and hope that LuaLua could use his pace to trouble the Forest back line. It worked only very occasionally, and it was still one-all at half time.

Three minutes into the second half Paul Evans scored a free kick from 30 yards out to put Forest ahead, and that forced Pompey to attack. They tried, but didn’t look overly worried about winning, and Forest were first to just about every tackle. Eighteen minutes from time Martin Vickerton scored his first Forest goal with a free kick, and now Pompey had two goals to make up.

Paul Evans could have added a fourth in the last ten minutes, but his penalty was well saved by Shaka Hislop. In the end, it didn’t really matter though, as Forest outclassed Pompey and made it through to the quarterfinals.

Games watched: 56

Total mileage: 15167

Total number of goals witnessed: 168 [+27] (3.00 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 14 (0.25 per game)

57. Newport Stadium, Newport (Attendance: 3718)

13 November 2004 – English FA Cup, First Round: Newport County vs Lincoln

The FA Cup finally gets round to the First Round stage today, and this is where the League One and Two clubs enter the fray. Come May, the final will be contested in South Wales, and that’s where Lincoln’s campaign gets off to a start.

It was a good tie from the start, with both sides showing signs that they wanted to win the game. Lincoln weren’t taking their opponents lightly though, playing only one up front, and hoping to catch Newport on the break. Both sides tested out the respective defences early on, but neither goalkeeper was unduly tested in a hard-fought game.

It took a bizarre effort to open the scoring; Jason Bowen’s cross-shot finding the net midway through the first half, leaving everyone in the ground, including Bowen himself, absolutely stunned. It was similar to Harry Kewell’s effort against Macclesfield.

Lincoln caused a few problems for Newport before the break, but they only really looked threatening after half time. They started to get some efforts in on goal, but Newport defended gallantly and kept them out. Midway through the second period Newport scored a second, also in strange circumstances. Lincoln appeared to have cleared a free kick, but somehow the ball was smacked against Carl Wilson-Denis, and the ball trickled into the net.

It was a severe blow for Lincoln, and things got even more difficult for them when Paul Morgan was sent off with still fourteen minutes to go. The expected barrage never materialised, and Newport completed a highly impressive victory to advance through to the Second Round.

Games watched: 57

Total mileage: 15451

Total number of goals witnessed: 170 [+27] (2.98 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.26 per game)

58. New Douglas Park, Hamilton (Attendance: 2398)

17 November 2004 – Scottish First Division: Hamilton vs St. Johnstone

There are a few World Cup qualifiers being played tonight, but despite that there are a few domestic games being played. This game sees two mid-table sides tackle each other, but the league is so congested, that a run could see any side push for promotion.

I didn’t really know what to expect from the game, but it was better than I could have hoped for. Seven minutes in Hamilton scored through Stevie Convery, and there’s no doubt that it helped the game to flow. Both sides created chances, and the defences and goalkeepers had to be on their very best to prevent more scoring. St. Johnstone were caught on the break after 25 minutes as Brian McPhee doubled the lead for the home side, but the visitors didn’t give up home.

Four minutes before the break Alan Mahood pulled a goal back, but soon after the restart Convery put Hamilton two goals up again. There were still chances at both ends, but the difference was Hamilton’s superior conversion of efforts to goals. McPhee scored a fourth from the penalty spot, and Convery completed his hatrick ten minutes from time after rounding the goalkeeper and passing the ball into the net.

5-1 was probably a little harsh on the visitors, but Hamilton weren’t complaining; the victory took them up to second place.

Games watched: 58

Total mileage: 16201

Total number of goals witnessed: 176 [+27] (3.03 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.26 per game)

59. Gayfield Park, Arbroath (Attendance: 425)

20 November 2004 – Scottish Second Division: Arbroath vs Forfar

Both Arbroath and Forfar are struggling for their life against the drop to the Third Division, with Arbroath currently propping up the rest of the division.

Forfar came out of the traps quicker than their hosts, but poor finishing prevented them from doing anything of any note in front of goal. With 26 minutes gone Arbroath broke, and with their first real chance scored through George O’Boyle. Forfar continued to threaten, but they showed little where it really mattered, and they still trailed at half time.

Having survived the first half, Arbroath started to push forward a little, and looked more likely to extend their lead than Forfar did of getting an equaliser. Only the Forfar keeper though came out of the game with any credit as he kept the score at 1-0.

But in injury time James Collier finally found a second for the home side, and they jumped off the bottom of the league, to be replaced by Forfar.

Games watched: 59

Total mileage: 16638

Total number of goals witnessed: 178 [+27] (3.02 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.25 per game)

3 questions for you.

1 - how do you afford petrol

2 - how do you afford tickets

3 - how do you get tickets for the small grounds when they playing big teams like liverpool in the cup.

HAHA...JUST JOKES.

awesome story, best i have read.

keep up the top class work.

Thanks davejax - but read some more stories icon_razz.gif

60. Pittodrie, Aberdeen (Attendance: 11565)

21 November 2004 – Scottish Premier League: Aberdeen vs Inverness Caledonian Thistle

I’ve been to Pittodrie already this season; but this time I’m here to see the owners – and it just so happens that they’re playing their tenants. Aberdeen have done well so far this season, and so have Caley.

The Dons were determined to show the fans in the stadium who the bosses were and they set out to put Inverness under pressure from the start. Eleven minutes in Noel Whelan put the ball into the back of the net, and after more pressure, added a second on the half hour; Phil McGuire heading in a corner.

Five minutes later Fernando Pasquinelli made it 3-0 as Inverness were put to the sword. And it got even worse before half time when they conceded a penalty and Fergus Tiernan put it away.

The second half lacked any of the excitement of the first half, although it was still more likely that Aberdeen would score. They didn’t, Inverness didn’t, and the home fans went home happy.

Games watched: 60

Total mileage: 17179

Total number of goals witnessed: 182 [+27] (3.03 per game)

61. Huish Park, Yeovil (Attendance: 6036)

23 November 2004 – English League Two: Yeovil vs Wycombe

Yeovil have a former international manager at their helm, albeit in Latvia’s early years. They’ve made a decent start to the season, and currently occupy a mid-table berth. Wycombe are looking to bounce back after relegation last season, and are pushing hard for at least a play-off berth come the end of the season.

The game was a disappointed. Both sides had plenty of attacking flair on view, but not once in the entire ninety minutes did either keeper have to make a save of note.

Yeovil had a few chances early on, Wycombe countered after that, and the game ebbed and flowed. But football is all about goals, and we got none of them today in an ultimately poor match.

Games watched: 61

Total mileage: 17316

Total number of goals witnessed: 182 [+27] (2.98 per game)

62. Whaddon Road, Cheltenham (Attendance: 6934)

24 November 2004 – English FA Cup, First Round Replay: Cheltenham vs Oldham

Cheltenham had got a decent result up at their League One opponents, but it’s often believed that the higher placed side will prevail if the tie goes to a replay. But with home advantage, I’m sure Cheltenham would like to disagree with that.

In fact, just seven minutes in Cheltenham had a glorious opportunity to open the scoring. But Jamie Victory sent a weak penalty straight at the goalkeeper, and Oldham had been let off. Cheltenham still tried to attack but without much success, and Oldham were content to soak up the pressure. They did it well, and with 28 minutes gone Rodney Jack put away a chance on the break to give Oldham the lead.

Cheltenham were by no means out of it, but they couldn’t really get much on target, and just before the break Jack scored a second, also on the break.

Oldham were much stronger in the second half with their two-goal cushion behind them, and they missed a number of chances to extend the lead. Cheltenham only really started to show any sort of effort in the last few minutes, but in injury time Oldham scored a third; Jack getting his hatrick.

Games watched: 62

Total mileage: 17496

Total number of goals witnessed: 185 [+27] (2.98 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.24 per game)

63. Nyewood Lane, Bognor Regis (Attendance: 177)

27 November 2004 – English FA Trophy, Second Round: Bognor Regis vs Hinckley

Bognor is usually seen as the poorer cousin stuck between Brighton and Bournemouth on the South Coast, but I don’t see what all the fuss is about – I quite like the beach there. Anyway, I’m not here for the beach, I’ve come to watch this FA Trophy tie. I know next to nothing about both sides, so at least that’s level.

Hinckley started the game quicker and made a few early chances to score. But Bognor slowly got back into the game, and with 18 minutes gone Dan Beck put the home side ahead. Bognor were clearly buoyed by the goal, and they began to take the game to Hinckley, without threatening too much.

Bognor came out at the start of the second half determined to get a second goal, and they peppered the Hinckley goal with shots on goal. Thirteen minutes into the second half Luke Nightingale finally struck, and Bognor could finally relax a little.

Hinckley were disappointing, and struggled to get back into the game. Paul Barnes did get a goal back from the penalty spot, but it only came in injury time, and Hinckley were out.

Games watched: 63

Total mileage: 17584

Total number of goals witnessed: 188 [+27] (2.98 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.24 per game)

64. Withdean Stadium, Brighton (Attendance: 7022)

28 November 2004 – English Championship: Brighton vs Reading

I joined Brighton’s campaign for a new stadium at Falmouth by donating some of my loose change to the cause, and I was also encouraged to write to John Prescott to demand that he give the required planning permission. The letter is in the post.

And despite all of their off-field problems, Brighton are having a decent season and are only a few points off the play-off places. Reading are only a couple of points ahead of the Seagulls, and this should be a decent game in front of a sparse crowd.

Brighton made a decent enough start, and looked good up against an organised Reading defence. Like I’ve seen so often on my travels this season, the finishing wasn’t up to scratch though, and that allowed Reading a chance to show their attacking talent.

But real goalmouth opportunities were at a premium, even as the second half wore on. Thankfully though, a couple of substitutions spruced things up, and chances started to fall at more regular intervals.

With thirteen minutes to go The Seagulls took the lead through Congo Under-21 International Maheta Molango, and just two minutes later Leon Knight netted his 10th goal of the season to double the lead.

Within 120 seconds though Nicky Forster pulled a goal back for The Royals, and that led to a highly charged and exciting last ten minutes. Forster missed a few opportunities to equalise, but somehow Brighton held on to claim victory and move to within two points of the play-off places.

Games watched: 64

Total mileage: 17688

Total number of goals witnessed: 191 [+27] (2.98 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 15 (0.23 per game)

Thanks Chatham_Owl icon_wink.gif

65. Williamson Motors Stadium, Darlington (Attendance: 3219)

30 November 2004 – English LDV Vans Trophy, Northern Section, Quarter Final: Doncaster vs Hartlepool

The cup competitions keep coming, and the LDV Vans Trophy has now reached the regional quarterfinals. Of course, the winners of each section will playoff in the overall final, so this is effectively the last sixteen.

League Two side Darlington started the game well, and they passed the ball well as they caused Hartlepool all sorts of problems. I’ve been impressed by Hartlepool on the occasions that I’ve seen them this season, and it was no surprise to see them slowly getting a grip on the game.

But it was the home side who were the more threatening, and with 26 minutes a name from the past opened the scoring for them; a certain Dutchman by the name of Clyde Wijnhard taking me back to his Leeds days.

Hartlepool made things difficult for themselves just before half time when Chris Westwood got himself sent off, and Darlington took advantage in the second half, laying siege to their opponent’s goal in search of a killer second. It came midway through the second period from Brian Close, and Darlington made it through to the Northern semi-final.

Games watched: 65

Total mileage: 17920

Total number of goals witnessed: 193 [+27] (2.97 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 16 (0.25 per game)

Summary – November 2004

Days: 30

Grounds visited: 17

2 at English Premiership

3 at English Championship

4 at English League Two

2 at English Conference North

1 at Scottish Premier League

2 at Scottish Second Division

English Premiership: 76007 (38004 per game)

English Championship: 57085 (19028 per game)

English League Two: 17417 (4354 per game)

English Conference North: 968 (484 per game)

English Conference South: 3895 (1948 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 11565 (11565 per game)

Scottish First Division: 2398 (2398 per game)

Scottish Second Division: 3867 (1934 per game)

Overall record so far

Days: 123

Grounds visited: 65

10 at English Premiership

8 at English Championship

6 at English League One

6 at English League Two

7 at English Conference North

6 at English Conference South

9 at Scottish Premier League

4 at Scottish First Division

2 at Scottish Second Division

English Premiership: 352108 (35211 per game)

English Championship: 144218 (18027 per game)

English League One: 72233 (12039 per game)

English League Two: 28311 (4719 per game)

English Conference North: 3549 (507 per game)

English Conference South: 10161 (1694 per game)

Scottish Premier League: 180523 (20058 per game)

Scottish First Division: 11053 (2763 per game)

Scottish Second Division: 3867 (1934 per game)

66. Surrey Street, Ashton-under-Lyne (Attendance: 170)

1 December 2004 – English FA Trophy, Second Round Replay: Ashton United vs Hyde

Ashton are struggling near the foot of the Conference North, and having been held to a draw at Hyde, they won’t be overly confident of getting a result in tonight’s replay.

But any doubts failed to linger for long, as the wonderfully named Richard Richards put the home side ahead after just three minutes. To their credit, Hyde threw everything at the Ashton goal in search of an equaliser; hitting the woodwork once and seeing two efforts cleared off the line. Ashton weathered the storm well, and started to take control of the game once more, and they were still one-nil up at the break.

Ashton were desperate for a second in the second half to kill off the game, and ten minutes into the second half they got it; Peter Carty blasting a penalty past the helpless goalkeeper. Hyde had done their best on the night, and as the game wore on, they showed clear signs of tiredness. It wasn’t to be their night, and Ashton made it through to the Third Round, where the Conference National sides will join them.

Games watched: 66

Total mileage: 18196

Total number of goals witnessed: 195 [+27] (2.95 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 16 (0.24 per game)

I wouldn't have known either icon_eek.gif

67. The Glyn Hopkin Stadium, Dagenham (Attendance: 5267)

4 December 2004 – English FA Cup, Second Round: Dagenham & Redbridge vs Bury

Dagenham have a proud FA Cup history, and have a number of giant-killings over the last few years. So it’s with some trepidation that League Two side Bury come south to London to take on the Conference National club.

The Daggers came all out guns blazing as they looked to peg Bury back immediately. But Bury held firm at the back, and did their best to make a game of it by breaking whenever possible. But their chances got even more rare as the half wore on as Dagenham applied the pressure, but there were still no goals as the sides went in for their half time oranges.

Bury were mentally still in the changing rooms as the second half began, and sloppy defending allowed midfielder Jake Leberl to give Dagenham the lead. And Bury had no response. The Daggers defence and midfield kept chances at a premium for the visitors, and nineteen minutes from time Chris Moore, who had missed a number of chances in the first half, finally got a crucial second for the home side.

Bury were disappointing in not mounting an all-out attack approach in an attempt to at least claim a replay, and Dagenham would yet again have the chance to shine in the Third Round.

Games watched: 67

Total mileage: 18246

Total number of goals witnessed: 197 [+27] (2.94 per game)

Sending offs witnessed: 16 (0.24 per game)

Archived