Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by iacovone:

How do you mean Gundo?

And hats off to both Stian and Warlock...bravo \o/

I think players that have things listed like determined or fairly determined, are usually the ones who want to be first out the door.

Ringstad has 'light hearted' listed and I think this is part of the reason why he is still at Randaberg.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

who is Stian Confused ?? </pre>

He refers to my super striker; Stian Ringstad. the legend that is of course. icon_biggrin.gif

i'm not going to say too much now, but some surprising news is going to come out of Caerleon in the morning...

rumours are abound in the little welsh town that the manager might be looking for a sabbatical from the club in favour of new pastures.....

Westo who is my best midfielder has been moaning about leaving for years. He has 'Very Ambitious' as his personality.

Thing no club outside finland has ever been interested in him so i dont know where he gets the idea that he is good enough to play in a bigger league.

A Quick Update

3 games to go and we have just taken the top spot for the first time this season after TPS lost 1:0 to MyPa-47. We play TPS in our next game and its looking like the title decider as neither of us have slipped up for a while. well...other than TPS's last game.

Anyway if we can beat TPS i cant see us losing the league.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by endtime:

Crazy.

Although I'm not much of a graphics person, that skin is lovely. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed icon14.gif the colours go together nicely icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I used to think that league reputation was static, (it is), but National structure reputation isn't, (and I think that's what you meant. I only recently found this out and I'll have a look for a good thread in GQ which migh help clear things up.

Here it is.

Nice one Jimbo, now I just need to win the Champions League seven times to increase the nation reputation to an acceptable level. icon_razz.gif

Well after not updating you for a while I thought I'd introduce my 3 latest signings. I've decided to push the boat out this season and really bring in some quality. After making sure that I had a good Croatian base at the club, I brought in these 3 foreigners:

Sahin Murat - Our new pacy forward to partner Sinisa Lucic.

Vegard Sivertsen - A very solid Norweigan (urgh) centre back icon_wink.gif.

And...A new signing breezes into Slavonija... icon_rolleyes.gif

The skin's Dynamic - to be found at http://community.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?showtopic=25642

About Szabo, I slapped a 10 million asking price on him to stem the constant flow of offers and enquiries. He finally got fed up, asked for a move and wouldn't renew his contract, so I decided to offer him around for a silly price. The move was yet another proof for how screwy the transfer system in FM is; I first offered him around for 10 million upfront, and all I got were uniform bids of 1.4 million upfront + a 20% sell-on clause. Next, I offered him for 10 million in 24 installments and I got bids of 7.25 million upfront + 30% sell-on + friendly from the same clubs.

His stats were good but didn't justify such a high transfer fee; he probably has a very high PA, so the AI is willing to spend so much on a 22-year-old kid.

Chmel Blsany - Czech Second League - 2008/09 Season

Well, as i eluded to last night, i have decided to put my Caerleon game on hold, in order to start a new challenge in the Czech Republic. i had a long think about it over the weekend while i was away, and i have decided to make the move.

basically, my reasoning for this is that whilst i am enjoying the game, i feel i have next to no chance of ultimately achieving my goals of winning in europe. this is based on two reasons - the lack of money in welsh football, my predicted inability to compete on a european level.

i realise that this is the same for you managing in N. Ireland for example, and that you are beginning to get there, but it has taken MANY seasons to get there. all of the discussion about reputations etc would tend to confirm that it will be an awesome achievement to make it (and i wish you all luck icon14.gif )

i have therefore decided to start afresh in a 'larger' european league, one which is a little more established (i did consider croatia or serbia... icon_wink.gif ) but i decided to go somewhere different. and so i chose the Czech Republic.

my team for the challenge is Chmel Blsany , a team from the tiny village of Blsany. according to wikipedia, the village only has a population of about 800 people. icon_eek.gif (not going to draw a big crowd then... ) this was a reson forchoosing them to be honest - i want to get the whole town behind the club!! icon_biggrin.gif

squad

finances

from the finances screen it is plain to see that there is some more money involved in this league. adjusting the budget, i have £600K to spend in the transfer market icon_eek.gif. however, i won't spend that as it will put me in the red somewhat.... easier said than done though as i have just splashed £130K on a new striker!! icon_rolleyes.gif

i will post more obviously in due course.

Gundo - for your records, could you include BOTH my games in the records. thanks.

rlipscombe best of luck in Eastern Europe - you know it's the place to be icon_wink.gif.

endtime I'm guessing you're probably right and it is something to do with his PA. The transfer system is definitely slightly flawed in this respect.

Slavonija - Qualified for the Champions League group stage after defeating Kayserispor 2-0 on aggregate. Our group is:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Arsenal

Slavonija

Villarreal

Monaco</pre>

We were seeded 2nd and to be honest it could have been better but hopefully we can get through icon14.gif

rlipscombe - Best of luck at Chmel Blasny. Any ideas how you pronounce the name? icon_wink.gif

To be honest i've had similar thoughts as i've now managed Skjetten for two successive challenges. I'm tempted to start up again somewhere new......decsisions, decisions icon_rolleyes.gif

In fact i'll leave the choice up to you guys! I'll be home by 6:00 and will be at the computer. So, between now and 6pm tell me whether i should stick with Skjetten or start afresh!

Cheers guys icon_biggrin.gif

Meldert, Belgium - December 19th 2025

Mid-season table.

Everything under control so far, though it doesn't look like our run to the title will be as easy as it was last season (when we had a 27 point gap over second place at the end).

Our defense certainly isn't bad, but it's not quite as secure as it was last year, which has put us in trouble in a few matches. Offensively we're very strong though.

But with Club Brugge and Anderlecht seemingly back to their normal status of title contenders, there may not be a lot of room for slip-ups. Maintaining our good form will be crucial.

UEFA Cup news, then:

I already reported on the first two UEFA Cup group matches:

Meldert - AS Monaco: 5-1

Stuttgart - Meldert: 0-0

The remaining two:

Meldert - Man City: 3-0

A surprisingly easy match. We took control of the match, and played very well from start to finish. It took us a while to break the deadlock, but once we did, we quickly added a second and sealed the three points.

Kayserispor - Meldert: 1-4

Another great result, based on efficient finishing. The red card right after half time didn't turn out to have a huge effect on the match - we even finished it off with a late goal.

The red-carded DC will be suspended for the next round though, which is a slight concern.

UEFA Cup Group H

I would have been very disappointed if I hadn't survived this group, but 10pts is better than I hoped for. Teams of this level are well within our capabilities now, it seems.

We've been drawn against Sparta Prague in the First Knockout Round. Based on our performance in the group, we should be able to survive that round.

Originally posted by cookie15:

rlipscombe - Best of luck at Chmel Blasny. Any ideas how you pronounce the name? icon_wink.gif

To be honest i've had similar thoughts as i've now managed Skjetten for two successive challenges. I'm tempted to start up again somewhere new......decsisions, decisions icon_rolleyes.gif

In fact i'll leave the choice up to you guys! I'll be home by 6:00 and will be at the computer. So, between now and 6pm tell me whether i should stick with Skjetten or start afresh!

Cheers guys icon_biggrin.gif

it's Chmel Blsany actually... which makes it even worse... icon_biggrin.gif i'll look for a pronunciation...

rlipscombe - Good luck with it - You kind of beat me to the punch with that one. The Welsh league just isn't competitive enough, the money, the rep and the crowds are awful.

Oh well, I shall keep on trying though, at least for another few seasons first. Just feel like I'm actually beginning to make progress.

Originally posted by 442to445:

rlipscombe - Good luck with it - You kind of beat me to the punch with that one. The Welsh league just isn't competitive enough, the money, the rep and the crowds are awful.

Oh well, I shall keep on trying though, at least for another few seasons first. Just feel like I'm actually beginning to make progress.

i made it to season 4. i do find it an enjoyable game, but half the point of this challenge is to win in europe, and i can't see that happening with Caerleon. i will probably return to it at some stage... it's Chmel all the way for now though!! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

i made it to season 4. i do find it an enjoyable game, but half the point of this challenge is to win in europe, and i can't see that happening with Caerleon. i will probably return to it at some stage... it's Chmel all the way for now though!! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well from my brief forays in to Europe, both Maritimo and APOEL were miles ahead of me in terms of quality. (Think Championship versus Conference...) but the gap is closing, particularly with a young side.

Ah well, for now I'm happy just to be second one point behind TNS who are the only side to have taken any points of me.

4th round of the Welsh cup and there are THREE (3!) WPL clubs left in, the remaining thirteen clubs are all greys....

In the last round no WPL team played each other, of the 8 teams, only myself, TNS and Haverfordwest progressed...

Please don't let me have to face greys every round

:thud:

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

How do you mean Gundo?

And hats off to both Stian and Warlock...bravo \o/

I think players that have things listed like determined or fairly determined, are usually the ones who want to be first out the door.

Ringstad has 'light hearted' listed and I think this is part of the reason why he is still at Randaberg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant to say ambitious not determined. icon_redface.gif

That's what long days and little sleep does to you I suppose... icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Well after not updating you for a while I thought I'd introduce my 3 latest signings. I've decided to push the boat out this season and really bring in some quality. After making sure that I had a good Croatian base at the club, I brought in these 3 foreigners:

Sahin Murat - Our new pacy forward to partner Sinisa Lucic.

Vegard Sivertsen - A very solid Norweigan (urgh) centre back icon_wink.gif.

And...A new signing breezes into Slavonija... icon_rolleyes.gif

The Vikings have arrived in Croatia at last, now they will take over and conquer the rest of Europe... icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

Skjetten - 3

Afresh - 1

icon_cool.gif

This could be close!!

Well stick with them for the time being cookie. If your are wanting to start a new save you might aswell wait until the patch, which is just around the corner. icon14.gif

Gundo - were you asking after some player in the Welsh leagues? I forgot his name and I can't find the post now but I'll look him up if you like.

Yeah, Ronnie Morgan. He starts out TNS.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

Gundo - were you asking after some player in the Welsh leagues? I forgot his name and I can't find the post now but I'll look him up if you like.

Yeah, Ronnie Morgan. He starts out TNS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Number of matches = 0.

Number of people with surname 'Morgan' = 18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Yeah, Ronnie Morgan. He starts out TNS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Number of matches = 0.

Number of people with surname 'Morgan' = 18 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he's retired then? icon_confused.gif

i can view other pictures but for some reason when i type in photobucket.com to go to the home page its taking 10 minutes then saying page is unreachable

been doing it since i had a problem uploading a song about 2000 last night. Im signing up to imageshack now for the time being

Originally posted by Boskovic:

i can view other pictures but for some reason when i type in photobucket.com to go to the home page its taking 10 minutes then saying page is unreachable

been doing it since i had a problem uploading a song about 2000 last night. Im signing up to imageshack now for the time being

LIES! It was a song about '3000' wasn't it? It's you and your incurable Busted fetish.

Out of curiosity, are there any leagues that haven't yet been played?

i think most have been tried at least once... think i'm only one in Czech republic, 1 in romania, 1 or 2 in russia and ukraine.... i think on about page 30 there's a list of who was playing what at that time... might be a bit out of date but helpful. i used it yesterday

It is with great sadness Dinas Powys manager, 442; following his noble counterpart rlipscombe at Caerleon, has put his game in the Welsh Leagues on hold citing 'an uncompetitive league and the fact it was never going to be financially viable in the long term'.

It is with great sadness Dinas Powys manager, 442; following his noble counterpart rlipscombe at Caerleon, has put his game in the Welsh Leagues on hold citing 'an uncompetitive league and the fact it was never going to be financially viable in the long term'.

It might be the same for me if I don't make some progress in Europe within the next few seasons.

I had an awesome Turkish save in FM07, so I'm tempted to try this challenge out there if I drop my N.Ireland game.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

It might be the same for me if I don't make some progress in Europe within the next few seasons.

I had an awesome Turkish save in FM07, so I'm tempted to try this challenge out there if I drop my N.Ireland game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked out the Russian and Croatian Leagues but neither appealed to me.

Having a look at the Greek leagues now.

Archived