Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Originally posted by Gundo:

Randaberg's first ever game in European competition has them drawn against Benfica in the third qualifying round of the Champions League.

Nice easy start then. icon_biggrin.gif

And our Champions League ambitions have ended after a 4-0 aggregate defeat to Benfica, looks like we'll have settle for the Uefa Cup for the time being.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boskovic Good luck in the 2nd leg. icon14.gif

johnny Congrats on your first Russian Title mate, the first of many I'm sure. Russian cup win is impressive also. icon14.gif

johnny, what sort of money did you get for getting to the Uefa Cup group stages?

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

It's about £500k I think, can't remember exactly though.

Not mega bucks then heh? Although for smaller clubs like ours it's not too bad I suppose. icon_biggrin.gif

Meldert, Belgium - October 7th 2025

Mainly a European update, but a brief league update as well:

Quarter-season update

Our hope of finishing the season undefeated went out the window quite fast, as we lost the second match of the season, away at Mouscron.

Scoring goals is obviously not the problem, but the sale of star DC Ron Berghmans to Palermo is having its effect. We're not quite as solid at the back as last season.

As long as we keep scoring well, we should be fine, but I have a feeling the season is gonna be quite a big closer than the previous two. Especially with Anderlecht looking in good form this season.

European progress, then:

After finishing third in the Champions League group stage for the first time last season, I was hoping for a repeat of that performance this season, to keep progressing.

The Second Qual Round was relatively easy, with a 5-0 aggregate win against Swedish team Halmstadt. We weren't as lucky in the draw for the Third Qual Round as we had been the previous two seasons though: Sevilla - not impossible, but notably stronger than last season's FC Kopenhagen, or KF Tirana two seasons ago.

Meldert - Sevilla: 1-1

Sevilla - Meldert: 2-0

A harsh result. We definitely deserved more from both matches, but scoring turned out to be a major problem, while conceding went much easier, heh.

And so we went to the UEFA Cup First Round instead. Luckily our progress of the last few seasons meant that we were seeded for this round, so we got a fairly easy draw: Slovakian team Ruzomberok.

3-0 at home, 0-0 away, and we're into the UEFA Cup group stage.

Group draw.

Quite a tough draw, considering the options. With AS Monaco as 4th seed and Stuttgart as 5th seed, it could've been a lot easier.

Still, our goal will be to survive the group stage and continue our European campaign after the winter break.

We'll be facing Monaco and Man City at home, and have to travel to Germany and Turkey. I haven't decided yet whether that's a good or bad thing.

Euro Coefficients:

Club: 90th -- 29.795

Nation: 20th - 20.600 (1-3-1)

A rise of only 9 places was less than I hoped. We'll need a few more consistent, good seasons in Europe to get to the point where we'll be seeded for the Third Qual Round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Not mega bucks then heh? Although for smaller clubs like ours it's not too bad I suppose. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having just reached the UEFA group stage myself, I can answer that fairly accurately. What I got was: (in Euros)

170k euro "for playing in the EURO Cup"

70k euro "for winning against Ruzomberok in the EURO Cup"

650k euro "for playing in the EURO Cup group stage"

All three amounts were awarded on the same day.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Not mega bucks then heh? Although for smaller clubs like ours it's not too bad I suppose. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having just reached the UEFA group stage myself, I can answer that fairly accurately. What I got was: (in Euros)

170k euro "for playing in the EURO Cup"

70k euro "for winning against Ruzomberok in the EURO Cup"

650k euro "for playing in the EURO Cup group stage"

All three amounts were awarded on the same day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got those last season, but this season hopefully it will be the CL cash i will recieve icon_smile.gif and hopefully go on to retain my title icon_biggrin.gif

Just to brag....

I'm going to have to create a new record... "Consecutive hat-tricks"

Paul "The Warlock" Wallace has hit 3 consectutive hat-tricks, and has 2 in a game as im typing icon_smile.gif Bah, games finished, only 2. But still... 3 consecutive hatricks, and .. erm 15 goals in his last 4 games.

Awesomeness personified.

Killyleagh Y.C - Northern Ireland Division 1 - Season 3 - 2010/2011

This was the season where my young squad had to make an impression in Northern Irish football. After promotion last season, I knew that it wasn't going to be easy, but had a lot of confidence in the young guns to do their job and gain a second consecutive promotion.

The season started off with another intermediate final victory which made it twice in a row icon14.gif

The league started awfully dodgy, with some awful defending fom my side, but as the season settled in, the advantages of getting everybody on board FT, as was my goal for the season, was significant. The league table shows that we went through the season unbeaten and never left the top 3 all season.

This had something to do with Howard Tanner who always seemed to score when he played, just a shame he was injured quite frequently and missed a few games.

An honurable mention must also go to Ryan Davidson who at 20 is the club captain and the Northern Irish under 21 captain too, so I have high hopes for him. Technically he's not very gifted, but mentally and physically, he's head and shoulders above most people playing a higher standard.

Here is the squad that made the record books, and have already told the press that this squad is good enough to compete at the highest level next season, but having never played a Premier team in a competitive game, I'm only hazarding at a guess.

Coincidentally the team that went up this year with me, Oxford United Stars, were promoted with me last season too, so there doing there own version of the Challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Other Screenies

My Current Profile

Club Info Screen

Aims Next Season

To try and improve the sqaud in various areas, especially the wings where strikers were regulaly asked to fill a gap...

To gain European Qualification, be it through the league, or through the Northern Irish Cup.

One last point, does anybody who is playing in Northern Ireland know how to make any money. Im losing in the region of 10,000 a month, yet am under my wage budget and havent spent a penny on a player.. icon_confused.gif Any idea's greatly appriciated.

Premier Division Here Come Killyleagh Y.C icon14.gif

The European Champions Cup - Second Qualifying Phase (Second Leg)

Zilina (7) 4 - 3 (5) Salpa

We were seconds away from the next round when we conceeded a second which took the match into extra time where we were soundly beaten. Lagerblom twice hits the net and Sinisalo came off the bench to score our third.

The european adventure is over for this year. Im unsure which european competition ill find myself in next season. Im currently second but only two points of leaders TPS who ive still to play at home.

Hi, I would very much like to do this challenge but I would like to try and do it with RGUOR Minsk from Belarus, also known as RUOR, but they are in a Belarusian lower division (4th tier), and you can only manage clubs in the top 2 divisions so I would have to wait a extra year. (Hopefully) Is this allowed, cheers.

Originally posted by Pauli:

Hi, I would very much like to do this challenge but I would like to try and do it with RGUOR Minsk from Belarus, also known as RUOR, but they are in a Belarusian lower division (4th tier), and you can only manage clubs in the top 2 divisions so I would have to wait a extra year. (Hopefully) Is this allowed, cheers.

I thinkn only the teams in the tier lower than the lowest playable get promoted throughout the game, so im not entirely sure If they would ever get promoted icon_frown.gif

Stal Rzeszow - Mid-season Update

It's just after the midseason break here in Poland, which lasts about two months, and here's where we stand right now.

League Table

If you said I would be ahead of Legia Warsaw right now, I'd have said you were crazy, but there it is. If I managed to get into Europe this year, I would be ecstatic. We've almost managed to advance out of the first round of the Polish League Cup , which is a 4 group, 4 team round-robin. We bested Arka Gdynia and Gornik Zabrze to advance out of our group with Cracovia. We weren't as lucky in the FA Cup as we were bounced out in the third round by Belchatow.

Stars of the First Half

Goals have been hard to come by at Hetmanska, with Slovakian Matrin Matus leading the way with 5, but thanks to the play of Wojciech "Don't call me Jane" Kaczmarek, we've gotten way more points than we deserve. I also have to highlight the play of Przemyslaw Grajek in the midfield. He's had a couple of nice goals from long distance, including the goal of the month in November.

A Look Ahead

Seeing as we were predicted to come in 16th out of 16 teams, I'm pretty happy with where we are now. The offense definitely needs to be improved however. Fans were excited by the signing of Patryk Klofik (free-Zaglebie Lubin) to go on the wing, but I'm a lot more impressed by the signing of Tomasz Moskal. Moskal was a prolific striker with Gornik Zabrze before moving in 2007 to AJ Auxerre. However, he was frozen out in France, and was more than willing to come back to the Polish league on a free transfer. Hopefully he's the answer to our striking woes.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pauli:

I thinkn only the teams in the tier lower than the lowest playable get promoted throughout the game, so im not entirely sure If they would ever get promoted icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah thats a shame as they have a state of the art youth setup, nevermind. thanks

I'm starting to get extremely frustrated icon_frown.gif

no less than 11 of my players are unhappy and want to move to a "bigger club"

Now, forgive me, but Am I not the biggest club in N. Ireland? I'm in the Champs League every season, and win LOTS.! I know the rep isn't too great of the club, but poeple like this need to stay to help the cause.! Ever since i've gone pro all my players seem to want to leave icon_frown.gif

Now, forgive me, but Am I not the biggest club in N. Ireland? I'm in the Champs League every season, and win LOTS.! I know the rep isn't too great of the club, but poeple like this need to stay to help the cause.! Ever since i've gone pro all my players seem to want to leave icon_frown.gif

It's one of the more depressing sides of this challenge unfortunately. This happens in real life aswell remember and is probably why the game works like this. However the difference being is that you can fairly easily replace these players season after season, something which clubs irl find very difficult and can very rarely do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

It's one of the more depressing sides of this challenge unfortunately. This happens in real life aswell remember and is probably why the game works like this. However the difference being is that you can fairly easily replace these players season after season, something which clubs irl find very difficult and can very rarely do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that, I guess, but these players are moving to teams like Derby and Middlesbro'

Now sure, they are a "bigger club" technically, but the players won't be winning anything with them, where as with me, they get to play regular Champs League football. (even if it is only 2 games a season icon_smile.gif )

My point is though, is that i only had 1 player before going Pro that was unhappy and wanted to leave, and so I sold him, now i've turned pro (surely boosting my rep), the majority of my squad wants to leave icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by McNeil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

I'll also add; It's the same in Norway too. icon_rolleyes.gif

Luckily its not bad in Ukraine, but its murder playing against the players that Shakhtar have, they're all class icon_frown.gificon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time will cure that. As soon as the players retire, you'll be laughing.! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

It's one of the more depressing sides of this challenge unfortunately. This happens in real life aswell remember and is probably why the game works like this. However the difference being is that you can fairly easily replace these players season after season, something which clubs irl find very difficult and can very rarely do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that, I guess, but these players are moving to teams like Derby and Middlesbro'

Now sure, they are a "bigger club" technically, but the players won't be winning anything with them, where as with me, they get to play regular Champs League football. (even if it is only 2 games a season icon_smile.gif )

My point is though, is that i only had 1 player before going Pro that was unhappy and wanted to leave, and so I sold him, now i've turned pro (surely boosting my rep), the majority of my squad wants to leave icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reading an older thread where someone from SI (I think) said that a club's reputation will always be limited by the reputation of the league. So because the reputation of the Irish Premier League is so low, the clubs cannot attain a high enough reputation to hold on to big players.

I think I said earlier that my club's reputation has never gone above "National", despite qualifying for the CL knockout stages a few times.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

My point is though, is that i only had 1 player before going Pro that was unhappy and wanted to leave, and so I sold him, now i've turned pro (surely boosting my rep), the majority of my squad wants to leave icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reading an older thread where someone from SI (I think) said that a club's reputation will always be limited by the reputation of the league. So because the reputation of the Irish Premier League is so low, the clubs cannot attain a high enough reputation to hold on to big players.

I think I said earlier that my club's reputation has never gone above "National", despite qualifying for the CL knockout stages a few times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

So I'm doomed unless the rep of the league rises. And how do i do that.! ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

I think I said earlier that my club's reputation has never gone above "National", despite qualifying for the CL knockout stages a few times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

So I'm doomed unless the rep of the league rises. And how do i do that.! ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think league rep. is static. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

bnek glad to hear you got your save back up and running! That would be disastrous...and on that note I'm going to make a backup of mine, just in case the worst happens....

Am i the only person that uses Rolling Autosave? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to do that but stopped with FM07 when I encountered the "history bug" when it autosaved while AVG was doing a scan. It killed the game for me and I have never used it since.

What I do do, is save on the 1st of the month as often as I can, (most months during the season). I've used this to great effect with this issue as I must have uploaded about 25 saves to the bugs forum.

Apologies for my short absence. My last season took a fair while and then when I went to post the update here my internet connection crashed and I had to re-do it again, (which takes a while). This weekend I've been busy getting sacked in Peru in the January challenge but am about to re-do my 2014/15 season update and crack on.

Good to be back but I think I now have about 6/7 pages of this thread to catch up again icon_eek.gif.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

bnek glad to hear you got your save back up and running! That would be disastrous...and on that note I'm going to make a backup of mine, just in case the worst happens....

I used to do that but stopped with FM07 when I encountered the "history bug" when it autosaved while AVG was doing a scan. It killed the game for me and I have never used it since.

What I do do, is save on the 1st of the month as often as I can, (most months during the season). I've used this to great effect with this issue as I must have uploaded about 25 saves to the bugs forum.

Apologies for my short absence. My last season took a fair while and then when I went to post the update here my internet connection crashed and I had to re-do it again, (which takes a while). This weekend I've been busy getting sacked in Peru in the January challenge but am about to re-do my 2014/15 season update and crack on.

Good to be back but I think I now have about 6/7 pages of this thread to catch up again icon_eek.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good to have you back Jimbo. As for the AVG, I'm using mac, so it doesn't affect me icon_smile.gif (another of the amazing features Apple has...)

Anni - I'm pretty sure it's not, but i'm not sure how it rises. I do remember a thread about it in FM07, btu can't find it for love nor money.

But surely Club Rep can become > than league rep. There are some clubs playing in the Champions League for example that I know about, but know nothing of their league. The Turkish clubs are a good example of this, Fenerbache and Galatasaray are known, I would imagine, pretty much throughout Europe but their league? Pfft. Any successful club can bring in talented players provided they are consistently doing well.

Then again, examples like Porto and Sporting do kind of indicate managerial prowess will give some success but you'll plateau as you become a feeder club for the bigger fish and players are lured off to more starry heights.

Hmmm...

*Ponders*

Paul "The Warlock" Wallace is on fire..!!

After an OUTSTANDING 88 goal campaign last season, he seems to be topping himself.!

19 Games. 41 Goals. 7 Hat-Tricks. 17 Consecutive games that he's scored in.

Absolutely unreal.

Sorry.

In the records thread, (until Wallace beat it last season) ... the hat-tricks record was 12. He got 15 last season, and already 7 this season. icon_smile.gif

Im so happy. icon_biggrin.gif

Nope I do actually use it, I just wanted to check to see if it was backed up.

Meldert, Belgium - November 6th 2025

UEFA Cup update, first two group matches.

Meldert - AS Monaco: 5-1

An important match to start with, and we didn't slip up. Harsh score on Monaco though.

We did the flying start thing and scored two early goals, then Monaco came at us full force, but they only managed to claw one back before the half.

The second half was much more even, but our keeper continued to play a superb match, and we continued to score easily. Monaco didn't deserve the 5-1, but I don't care - a good goal difference is never a bad thing.

Stuttgart - Meldert: 0-0

The match against the bottom seed of the group is one we should have won, but VfB Stuttgart aren't a bad team.

We could have won the match, but we could also have lost it, so 0-0 is a decent result.

Other results:

Kayserispor - Stuttgart: 2-1

Man City - Kayserispor: 2-1

Matches against the top two seeds left to play. A result in one of them should be enough to see us through.

The match against Stuttgart was my 750th in charge of the club. Figured that's a good time to put up the information screen.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I used to think that league reputation was static, (it is), but National structure reputation isn't, (and I think that's what you meant. I only recently found this out and I'll have a look for a good thread in GQ which migh help clear things up.

Here it is.

I read through that thread at the time, some really interesting insights imo. icon14.gif

Is Wallace not wanting out yet?

Nope. Hes staying true to the cause. 28 years old now, and his contract runs for 3 more years. Depending on how quickly his stats decline when he hits 30, he MAY not get a new contract. Although, thats dependable towards his goal tally. If he is a surmountable target away from a huge milestone (600/700/800 Goals) then I will play him until he gets what he needs.

Paul Wallace - Current goal Tally Stand at 588

If he carry's on the way he has been, we could see our very first player inducted into the 1000+ Goals club (although highly unlikely, and 800 is a more realistic target)

Originally posted by Pauli:

New Manager of OPS or Oulun Palloseura.

Good luck with OPS. On my SalPa game they have managed to achieve top flight status on their own.

A couple of tips would be to hire a scout with the ability to spot a good youngster and then just send him out scouting the U20s league forever. It wont be easy to sign them even on loan but the big clubs do release a lot of players at the end of every year so there is always a chance of a big scoop. Ive managed to get together a decent side without spending a penny this way.

Is Wallace not wanting out yet?

Nope. Hes staying true to the cause. 28 years old now, and his contract runs for 3 more years. Depending on how quickly his stats decline when he hits 30, he MAY not get a new contract. Although, thats dependable towards his goal tally. If he is a surmountable target away from a huge milestone (600/700/800 Goals) then I will play him until he gets what he needs.

Paul Wallace - Current goal Tally Stand at 588

If he carry's on the way he has been, we could see our very first player inducted into the 1000+ Goals club (although highly unlikely, and 800 is a more realistic target) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has he got any personality traits?

Ringstad (my star player) has 'Light Hearted' listed and I think this maybe a contributory factor.

Archived