Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

It's a great run in the champions league but I think this is where it gets tough. Actually I'm more impressed by how you got through the group stage with Inter and West Ham (English teams are always tough). After that you've had a very easy route to the semis but now the easy teams have run out ;P

I suspect you'll have a harder route to it next season and a lot of your players will try and leave but within Croatia you'll have more money that you know what to do with :p

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mr susan - I refer you to Quacky's post icon_wink.gif

Quacky - don't worry I'm not getting too carried away, AEK and Spartak in the knockout rounds was a bit of a blessing and I'm sure this will be our best performance in the Champions League for years to come. It's just with the double over Inter, it really does inspire me into believing that on our day we really could beat anyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

mr susan - I refer you to Quacky's post icon_wink.gif

Quacky - don't worry I'm not getting too carried away, AEK and Spartak in the knockout rounds was a bit of a blessing and I'm sure this will be our best performance in the Champions League for years to come. It's just with the double over Inter, it really does inspire me into believing that on our day we really could beat anyone! icon_biggrin.gif

iacovone, did i not say we might be seeing a croatian team in the final..... icon_wink.gif

Good Luck!! icon14.gif

Meldert, Belgium - September 1st 2022

After a season of domestic domination, but without European football, I was eager to see how the squad would hold up this season.

Two quality players left the club in the summer - Fischer (the German AMLC) and Rodrigo (the striker who scored 41 goals last season). Decent replacements were signed, but it's questionable whether we can achieve the same amount of efficiency up front.

Being short-ish on Belgians, I decided I'd only sign a new goalkeeper if I found a good Belgian one, which I didn't, so the 33-year old remains between the stakes.

A 3-1 loss in the Super Cup set us off on a bad start. We converted 1 of our 22 chances, they converted 3 of their 7.

We played four league matches so far and got 10 points, so we did bounce back from that, pretty much. We need to work just a bit harder for our wins than last season though. And so far it's undecided which of the strikers will take the regular second striker spot next to 'first name on the sheet' Lambrechts.

Too early to tell for sure, but I have a feeling it may be a tight season. After a few seasons of mid-table-ness, Club Brugge are once again off to a good start, with 12 points.

And due to yet another board confidence bug, I really need to win the league this season if I want to see my contract renewed. (The board are unhappy with the long term target - winning the league, which I did last season.)

On another, equally important matter: we're finally playing in Europe again. To avoid having to sell players every season to break even, qualifying for either the Champions League or the UEFA Cup group stage would be very helpful - and preferably the former.

We entered the Second Qual round against Siroki Brijeg from Bosnia and Herzegovina - a task that was a touch harder than it looked. 1-1 in Bosnia, and 3-1 at home (but it was 2-1 until injury time, so there were nerves until the end.)

Unseeded for the Third Qual Round, we got Benfica, a draw I wasn't very optimistic about.

They taught us a football lesson in Portugal, but my goalie got the MoM and only conceded one.

Benfica - Meldert: 1-0. Not exactly a good result, but it could have been worse.

The second leg looked to end in a boring-ish 0-0 draw - with the best chances for Benfica, but not many of them. I was already resigned to the result (and a bit frustrated), when my new striker found the net in the 95th minute, buying us another thirty minutes. We survived those as well, and Benfica were as poor in the penalty shootout as we had been in last season's Belgian Cup Final.

And so we're through to the Champions League group stage, for the third time in six seasons. Not entirely deserved this time, but I won't lose sleep over that.

Group draw.

I'm already pleased enough that we qualified for the group stage, so anything else from here on is a bonus. Then again, AZ are one of the easier third seeds of the lot, so perhaps a third place is possible this time.

European coefficients:

Club: 141st - 19.695

Nation: 20th - 20.300 (1-3-1)

It's been a while since I updated you all on my Krokom game, and there's a reason for it. Due to a computer crash I lost my last save-game. I still have one from the start of the season, and I tried to make up for the time lost, but I just can't get my heart into it, replaying a whole season that will end in relegation (We're just not good enough at the moment) is a bit too much. If you don't mind, Gundo, I would like for it to still be included on the list as I'll probably return to it one day. (just a note, we are not in the swedish Premier Division, but in the division below that (Division 1 Elite, not the AllSvenskan).

For now I've started a new game, close to home, in Belgium.

my team

and me

Slavonija Champions League Update - 19/20

Well the dream is over icon_frown.gif

But staying true to form we did better away from home than at home (marginally).

Leg 1 - we really struggled in the first half finding us 3 down before grabbing that away goal from the spot. Lucic made it 3-2 to give us a hope in the tie but two bits of magic from Fischer and Nazarith condemmed us to a heavy defeat.

Leg 2 - we had very little chance of progressing through this tie without scoring the first goal. Sadly it didn't happen and with Lucic out injured we looked inept up front. Even when we did have chances we were up against Igor Akinfeev (still going strong) who is incredible!

So we're out. It been an awesome journey and one I hope we can repeat next year. We'll need to invest over the summer and use the money and increase in reputation to reap the rewards of this magnificent cup run.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

CoachFlu congrats on getting to the group stage! icon14.gif With Inter in your group much like mine I'm backing you to top the group. Trust me its a sign... icon_wink.gif

Heh, thanks. I hope you're right, but I'm not quite as confident. icon_smile.gif

Surviving in Europe past December would already be a nice step forward. Getting to the semi final is something I don't see us do for another decade or so, at least.

On another note, a small icon_rolleyes.gif moment in my game:

Alex Lambrechts, my star striker who has scored almost 200 league goals so far, and got the European Golden Boot last season, has been called up to the Belgium squad perhaps twice, and never got a cap.

But my new striker, a 23-year old kid who has only started in five First Division matches (plus a number of sub appearances), just got his first senior cap. Heh.

I guess Lambrechts is the low CA/PA yet highly efficient type. Which would also explain why no team has ever been remotely interested in signing him, despite his great performances.

Not that I mind that, though.

I know exactly what you mean CoachFlu, my most clinical striker Sasa Lucic is definitely of that breed. Just good at what he does! He may be of the Lambrechts style too as I expect him to possibly pick up European Golden Boot.

On account of getting to the semis - twas a fluke I think.

Hey all, was just wondering, because after a search, found no definitive answer. What is the start date for Northern Ireland.

Just holidaying now and couldnt find what day to retire my holiday man.

Got dissillusioned my with Dafuge challenge with Chippenham, so hoping to get Killyleagh again, the scene of my greatest ever save in FM history in last years edition icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance icon14.gif

Originally posted by sergent21:

Hey all, was just wondering, because after a search, found no definitive answer. What is the start date for Northern Ireland.

Got dissillusioned my with Dafuge challenge with Chippenham, so hoping to get Killyleagh again, the scene of my greatest ever save in FM history in last years edition icon_biggrin.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey - 19th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benjaminoo:

Ok - I've taken over as Afan Lido.

Wish me luck icon14.gif

Welcome to wales Benjaminoo!!

As for Rhys Griffiths, i'll have a look for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops.....

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

As requested Benjaminoo

Rhys Griffiths Stats

Rhys Griffiths History

as you can see, he started well, but his form seems to be declining, maybe because of his age...?

Thanks for that mate.

Yeah it probably is because he's ageing - yet he looks better in your game. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I was just wondering because he's my Dad's mate irl, and has scored like 40 so far this season. icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sergent21:

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey - 19th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 18th June. </pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gundo, I look forward to starting this challenge again. Hopefully have as much fun as last time, and hoping Killyleagh come up again without to much effort icon_smile.gif

Good luck everybody icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Benjaminoo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

As requested Benjaminoo

Rhys Griffiths Stats

Rhys Griffiths History

as you can see, he started well, but his form seems to be declining, maybe because of his age...?

Thanks for that mate.

Yeah it probably is because he's ageing - yet he looks better in your game. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I was just wondering because he's my Dad's mate irl, and has scored like 40 so far this season. icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

his stats must have improved over the seasons - i'm at start of 2010-11... that's some goalscoring record!!

Just a note on the Northern Ireland re-set date. The bottom two positions in the Irish Second Division are not automatic relegation, they're both playoffs. If you're planning on reloading to get a team you want promoted, you need to save just BEFORE the last match is played in the Second Division (27th April, I think). The playoff draw is then made a couple of days later.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Just a note on the Northern Ireland re-set date. The bottom two positions in the Irish Second Division are not automatic relegation, they're both playoffs. If you're planning on reloading to get a team you want promoted, you need to save just BEFORE the last match is played in the Second Division (27th April, I think). The playoff draw is then made a couple of days later.

Ahhhh okay, thanks Annihilator666 much appriciated. Had to restart the game now, I will holiday until the 27th April and see and then I will be able to give a definitive answer for the table then.

Originally posted by sergent21:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Ahhhh okay, thanks Annihilator666 much appriciated. Had to restart the game now, I will holiday until the 27th April and see and then I will be able to give a definitive answer for the table then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I'm not sure that it's exactly 27th April, might be a bit earlier. But you need to save BEFORE the last game of the season, because the two teams promoted from the lower division seem to be decided on that day, rather than the day when the playoff draw is made.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sergent21:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Ahhhh okay, thanks Annihilator666 much appriciated. Had to restart the game now, I will holiday until the 27th April and see and then I will be able to give a definitive answer for the table then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I'm not sure that it's exactly 27th April, might be a bit earlier. But you need to save BEFORE the last game of the season, because the two teams promoted from the lower division seem to be decided on that day, rather than the day when the playoff draw is made. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will holiday until the 20th April and see if thats about right. Not too fussed on who I go but if Killyleagh can get promoted within couple of restarts, I will definately have a go with them. If not, just have to plow on with another team.

Just don't have the patience to restart tens of times to get Killyleagh up.

Originally posted by Gundo:

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey - 19th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

sergent Although the above date for N.Ireland is correct, there is a relegation/promotion playoff 2 legged fixture played earlier that dermines what club is promoted.

The 2nd leg of this fixture is played on 3rd May 2008 so you really need to save on 2nd May 08 if you want to reload again and again to try and get Killyleagh.

Welcome to N.Ireland anyway, (I fear that it might be too late by the time you read this).

Gundo. You might want to add this date to your list so people can reload if they require it.

In Northern Ireland, it would be best to save before the 1st leg on the 30th April. This is because you can restart for a team that you want, or one that you like the sound of or look of.

Gundo thought you might want to update this in the list 29th April

Finally got Killyleagh up, just waiting for them to be instated into the league and will post a profile as soon as I take over.

Thanks as well for the help wih the start dates, would have taken me much longer without the advice so thanks icon14.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Good luck Sergent21.! I had Kilyleagh in FM07, not a bad side mate icon14.gif (thats a lie, they are an awful side, but thats the challenge icon_smile.gif )

Cheers, I was them last year and was the most enjoyable game I have had in my FM career.

I originally wasnt bothered if I got them or not, would restart a couple of times, if I never got them then it wouldn't bother me too much.

My mind suddenly changed and I completly wanted to get them no matter what, no matter how long it took. Did test my patience, but eventually they come up icon_biggrin.gif definate soft spot for them.

Profile to be on soon..

Sergent21 - Good luck buddy.! If i complete the challenge with Knockbreda, I might re-start and be the killy.!!!!

Benjaminoo - Nice work mate.! Was that your first game in charge? Home bankers, eh.!!!!

N.B - Sorry Benji, just saw your opening post, taking over.! Good luck mate.!

CoachFlu - Bravo my friend.!!! There's now a 2 horse race to see who can complete the challenge first.!

Slavonija End of Season Update - 2019/20 (Season 12)

Media Prediction - 1st

League Final Position - 1st icon14.gif

Champions League - Semi Finals (3rd Qual Round last year)icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

Croatian Cup - Semi Finals (winners last year) icon13.gif

Domestically we had a much tougher season. I think this might possibly have something to do with the league rep increasing due to our success. icon_confused.gif Anyway Sibenik really pushed us all the way and with 6 games to go we were neck and neck with only game in hand separating us. However they just couldn't last the pace and we romped home to the title for the 5th consecutive time. As you can see by the league table it looks like we won it with ease but I can assure you it was much closer. Looking at the Second Division I was slightly disappointed to see Dinamo Zagreb bounce straight back up. They did this via the playoff after coming 2nd. It will be interesting to see whether they struggle next year or come in all guns blazing.

This year the Champions League provided an incredible story. For those that haven't been following this is how we did: After beating Galatasaray 8-3 on aggregate we qualified for the group stage, in which we drew Inter (last years Champions League winners), West Ham (last years Uefa Cup winners) and Zenith. After winning our first 3 games, including away at Inter and West Ham we proceeded through the group with 15 points and in the process knocked Inter and West Ham out. icon_biggrin.gif This was the highlight for me and any progress from here was a bonus. We sneaked past AEK 5-4 in the 1st knockout round before memorably holding onto a 0-0 in Moscow to beat Spartak 2-1 on aggregate and reach the semis. Our wonderful efforts came to an effort here though after a 9-3 thumping overall. Valencia went on to win the tournament. A journey beyond our wildest dreams, but something I don't expect to repeat again for a while. icon14.gif

The seasonal awards provided no real shocks as Michel Sturma retained the Young Player of the Year. Thats 8 years in a row for us now. icon_cool.gif

Club News

A change in pattern this year as I managed to keep hold of my two key players from last season. Sturma and Lucic remained and it was key to our success. This summer really should be the end of Sturma and it will be a great shame to see him go, but at this stage we're just not big enough to retain a kid of his undoubted class.

The club is now worth £32.5million and our facilities are Top and State of the Art with an academy. I'm looking forward to the youth intake shortly icon_smile.gif.

The newly built Slavonija Stadium has been packed out all season and consequently the board announced it will be expanded over 9 months by 6369 seats icon14.gif

Apparently we're a plc too because £3million is being paid out to shareholders. icon_confused.gif Must have missed us being turned into a plc...

Finally we have a new sponsorship deal worth £200k per year.

My Player of the Year, Fans Player of the Year & Top Goalscorer icon_eek.gif - Sinisa Lucic - A great season for my all-time favourite Slavonija player. Scored more goals than games which is always a plus, including 17 in 12 European games icon_eek.gif . Came 2nd in European Golden Boot but only because qualifying goals don't count. icon13.gif

Promising Players:

18/19 Watch:

Michal Sturma - one of our best players now. icon14.gif

Lucic - class

Magic - still a squad player but reliable back up centre back. Occasional right back too.

Jovicic - was sold after a disappointing first season for us. Picked up Croatian top goalscorer in 19/20. icon_eek.gif

19/20 Watch:

Josip Pavlovic - Fulfilled the promise I had of him. Scored 7 goals from central midfield and performed well all year for a young centre midfielder.

Luka Kovar - Strong season for the young left back. Still only 20 he was very consistent all season icon14.gif

20/21 Stars of the Future

Dragan Brcic - promoted to the senior squad after coming through the youth team 3 years ago. Similar to Kresemir Magic and should be a useful squad defender.

Marino Slavica - the pick of this years intake of youth players. Another strong looking defender, we'll have to keep a watchful eye over him.

Hrvoje Dumancic - the pick of last seasons youth intake who I forgot to mention icon_rolleyes.gif . Looks like he could really make the grade if he keeps improving.

Finances: We have £20million in the bank after recording a turnover of £9million. icon_smile.gif

Records Broken - Sinisa Lucic broke two records this season - Top Goalscorer - ended with 39 in all competitions. And Most MOMs with 11. He overtook Ante Popovic in both records. icon14.gif

Current 11 - Just so you can see goals and average ratings from the season.

Overall Best 11 - This has a slightly strange look to it. Firstly I'm glad it's finally altered to 4-4-2 now that this has been our formation for a good 5/6 years. The problem I have is in central midfield. Jurcic never played there although Jerkic did. It seems my more central midfielders are getting overlooked. And although the majority of this starting best 11 won the first title for me, the squad I have now are undoubtedly better. But Jimbo I guess this is all too familiar to you. icon13.gif

Gundo - for you:

5 domestic titles

Uefa Coeff - 44th - 52.377 (up 65 places)

Nation Coeff - 14th - 24.458 (up 1 place)

Originally posted by ManU@oldtrafford:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benjaminoo:

Second game of the season - I couldn't even beat them in 5 years when I was at Maesteg in FM07 icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and.. Porthmadog hadn't conceded in 6 before this game!!

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif well done looking good Welcome to Wales

I hope you don't take my record of finshing 2nd in my first season icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iacovone - Well done on another successful season

FC Baulmes: End of normal season update

After 34 hard-fought and difficult games Baulmes lie 2nd in the league, which looks something like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld GD Pts

1 FC Sion 34 +77 92

-----------------------------------

2 FC Baulmes 34 +47 82

-----------------------------------

3 Delémont 34 +50 81

4 Neuchâtel Xamax 34 +28 70

5 La Chaux de Fonds 34 +39 69</pre>

This, of course means we go into the promotion playoff! Chances are we'll lose since the most likely candidate to face us is FC Zürich, but it will be a good experience for the team and who knows, we may get a result if we're very lucky icon_biggrin.gif

Full season update will come after the playoff adventure. To all of my fellow Swiss managers out there good luck in your current season, I hope you're enjoying the challenge as much as me icon_biggrin.gif

FC Baulmes - Season Update 09/10

League Table

League Position 2nd [Promoted] (Last season 5th)

Cups 2nd round [FC Baden] (Last season 3rd round)

Promotion Playoff Winner [FC Zürich]

I was initially very pessimistic about our chances this season, especially after a disappointing first result. However, before our second game of the season, I was able to bring in a few loanees from parent club Young Boys, including a talented-looking young FRED by the name of Karl-Heinz Kruse. From then on, we began to pick up results, and eventually we found ourselves keeping pace with frontrunners such as Delémont and Neuchâtel Xamax. Karl-Heinz Kruse outstripped my wildest expectations, scoring 45 goals over the course of the season, winning Top Goalscorer award in the Challenge League and narrowly missing out on Best Player. He was the only Baulmes entry and only non-Sion player in the CL Team of the Year. He also brought the best out of strike partner Patrizio Pascucci who managed an impressive 20.

Promotion/Relegation Playoff: FC Zürich vs. FC Baulmes

The first leg was away for us and in a very one sided game we shocked the pundits, and I must admit ourselves, by taking the lead against the run of play through "King Kruse" and holding out for a magnificent 1-1 draw.

If we were surprised by that result though, the game at Stade Sous-Ville was something else. In a game Zürich dominated for long periods Baulmes finished 4-2 victors. I'm not sure quite how or why it happened, but our defence, who had been our weak link all season, put in an amazing first half performance and we went in 4-0 up icon_eek.gif After half time Zürich really came at us, and in the end they deserved their 2 goals. We probably didn't deserve to have done it, but we held on to the win, meaning we will be playing Super League football next year icon_biggrin.gif

FC Baulmes History:

2009/10: 2nd Challenge League (Promoted)

2008/09: 5th Challenge League

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey - 19th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

sergent Although the above date for N.Ireland is correct, there is a relegation/promotion playoff 2 legged fixture played earlier that dermines what club is promoted.

The 2nd leg of this fixture is played on 3rd May 2008 so you really need to save on 2nd May 08 if you want to reload again and again to try and get Killyleagh.

Welcome to N.Ireland anyway, (I fear that it might be too late by the time you read this).

Gundo. You might want to add this date to your list so people can reload if they require it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To add to that. If you want to save and then reload to try and get different teams; holiday to the day of the final league game of the fixture then save. Holiday a few more days to the day of the draw for the relegation playoff then it should work. If you save the day before the draw of the relegation playoff I seemed to have the same two teams come up whereas when I did it the way I described I had a variety of teams come up.

Archived