Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad about that target man thing Gundo, I sort of picked one up by accident couple seasons ago because hes a generally exciting type of player anyway. Hes had a fair amount of success in my striking rotation already and is definitely the future since the others at 28 and 30. I often call him Mr Donut from his name :p

The Big Yank looks good, but the difference between him and many of the big useless oafs that I used to great effect lase year is that he also has decent/good pace and acceleration. All in all he is just a very good physical specimen. These types have always prospered in CM/FM.

Having said that, I've been playing with a Target man from the start, just not your typical looking Target Man.

Originally posted by Quacky:

I'm glad about that target man thing Gundo, I sort of picked one up by accident couple seasons ago because hes a generally exciting type of player anyway. Hes had a fair amount of success in my striking rotation already and is definitely the future since the others at 28 and 30. I often call him Mr Donut from his name :p

his name might sound like donut, but he does look like a good prospect. pretty much an all-rounder up front, quick, good in the air, accurate....

um...hi. I`m new here at the forums and i`d like to try this challenge. I have been managing LL-teams since fm2006 and have much time on my hands this and next week.

Before i begin, can someone tell me a good country to start in?

Thanks.

Sytse I think the guys will tell you pretty good things about the nations they're managing in, I'm currently managing in the Norwegian leagues and it's great fun their. I've heard good things about Sweden also, although I haven't managed their yet. And there is a fair few people doing this challenge in N.Ireland also. icon14.gif

You might find the re-set date table below of some use:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey -

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Some of the dates on the table may be a couple of days before the re-set happens.

Best of luck where ever you choose. icon14.gif

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Great stuff, we've just ended a run of four straight defeats with a cracking 5-2 victory away to Torpedo Moscow. With 8 games left of the season, we're 5 points above the relegation zone.

Good stuff johnny, KUTGW. icon14.gif

Is Russia overrun with target men and do you have any of any use?

How's the Vodka aswel? icon_biggrin.gif

Mosside. N.Ireland. Opening day of the 2010/11 season.

We win 3-0 which is always nice, but the reason for this post is because this bloke, has just done this, in another match in the 1st Division where obviously both teams were managed by the AI.

My top goal-scorer in all competitions in my first season scored only 4 goals, and even last season where we were unbeaten in the league, my top scorer only hit 10 legue goals. I think the bar has been raised somewhat this year icon_rolleyes.gif.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Mosside. N.Ireland. Opening day of the 2010/11 season.

We win 3-0 which is always nice, but the reason for this post is because this bloke, has just done this, in another match in the 1st Division where obviously both teams were managed by the AI.

My top goal-scorer in all competitions in my first season scored only 4 goals, and even last season where we were unbeaten in the league, my top scorer only hit 10 legue goals. I think the bar has been raised somewhat this year icon_rolleyes.gif.

I'm guessing he's on your wanted list then Jimbo? He could be decent future prospect?

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Great stuff, we've just ended a run of four straight defeats with a cracking 5-2 victory away to Torpedo Moscow. With 8 games left of the season, we're 5 points above the relegation zone.

How's the Vodka aswel? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For most of this season I've been playing with this fella up front on his own, with two attacking wingers. He doesn't fit the 'target man' description but has been very effective so far.

The two top scorers in the league are Jo and Traore, both big physical lads who have been banging in the goals.

It looks like CSKA Moscow are well on their way to their 6th successive league title, they are currently on an 11-game winning streak without conceding a single goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

How's the Vodka aswel? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For most of this season I've been playing with this fella up front on his own, with two attacking wingers. He doesn't fit the 'target man' description but has been very effective so far.

The two top scorers in the league are Jo and Traore, both big physical lads who have been banging in the goals.

It looks like CSKA Moscow are well on their way to their 6th successive league title, they are currently on an 11-game winning streak without conceding a single goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's worse is when you play against those players as I found out this season some strikers are virtually impossible to stop, especially the ones that have pace and Ariel power!

It looks like CSKA Moscow are well on their way to their 6th successive league title, they are currently on an 11-game winning streak without conceding a single goal.

Looks like the forum curse works on other teams too! Having just posted that, CSKA proceeded to lose their next two game 2-0 and 3-0 to slip off top sport behind Spartak.

Meldert, Belgium - December 15th 2019

Mid-season table

A reasonably relaxed first half of the season. We lost a few points here and there, but nothing too dramatical.

Last season's co-top-teams Club Brugge and Anderlecht are having a poor season - can't say I mind. Cercle seems to be the team to watch out for this season - hopefully they stop over-achieving eventually and I can cruise to the title for a change.

Champions League update, then.

An injury time goal against Zenit Peterburg put us into the group stage, but with Barcelona, Man Utd and Galatasaray, I didn't give us much of a chance of getting away from the bottom spot in the group. The results:

Meldert - Galatasaray: 2-0

The match in which we had the best chance of getting away with something, and we delivered. A very even match though, but we managed to convert a few chances, and they didn't.

Barcelona - Meldert: 4-4

The result of the season, blowing an earlier cracking 4-0 win against Club Brugge out of the water. We were four goals down after half an hour, and I thought we were heading for a record high defeat, but then Barcelona relaxed and let us back into the match. I was already pleased enough when we made it 4-2 - saved face, I figured - but then two late goals turned it into a memorable comeback.

Meldert - Man Utd: 1-3

We took the early lead, but got a player sent off shortly thereafter, which sealed our fate.

Man Utd - Meldert: 1-0

We didn't deserve a point, but since they only managed to score from a spot kick which may or may not have been questionable, it was a slightly disappointing result.

Galatasaray - Meldert: 2-0

Two goals down after 8 minutes. Our defense recovered very well after that, but we didn't do enough to claim anything from this match.

Meldert - Barcelona: 0-2

A very even match going on possession and number of chances, but they scored their first goal after 19 seconds, before we even touched the ball, and we never really felt strong enough to force our way back this time.

Group standings

If we'd have won our last match, we'd have snatched third place from Barcelona, but it would probably not have been fully deserved.

It doesn't feel like we've made much progress during the last few seasons. We're still not quite at the level to compete at this stage.

Then again, 4 points is better than the 2 points we got two years ago, and I suppose the draw against Barcelona alone was enough to claim that we belong in the group stage.

We're making baby steps though, but that's alright. At the moment (and for a few more years) it's a matter of reaching the group stage regularly enough to make the finances less of a concern.

Our wage budget is pretty decent now, at least on a national level. I should probably start balancing it out now, for the next few years. At the moment, it looks like reaching the CL group stage once every two years makes us run at - roughly - break even over that two year period.

So stabilizing at this level for a bit, and letting the attendance catch up somewhat, might not be a bad thing. We're averaging 17k visitors in the league this season, which is an absolute record. I think there's a fair chance that our 19k stadium will get expanded a bit next summer.

Our feeder club for 'financial benefits' isn't quite paying off yet, so far. We're paying them 934k per season, but there hasn't been a notable rise in merchandise income yet. (430k last season, 400ish k the year before, heading for just under 500ish k this season.) I think I'll travel to Miami and play a friendly match over there during the winter break, see if that adds some coal to the flames.

Signing players with a high reputation would also help, but my budget isn't that healthy yet. I did manage to sign someone with a bit of name though:

Kalou

He spent 13 seasons at Chelsea and won a few trophies with them, but was then released. Still Ivory Coast captain, so he's not totally useless yet at his age, but he fits best into my team as a utility bencher, not quite a starter. Hasn't particularly impressed yet in the limited play time he was given, though he did score one nice scorcher from distance.

Since it'll be 2020 soon, he's probably the last "well known" player to sign for Meldert. An all-regen game world isn't very far off.

Merry Christmas All!

Well I've escaped the festivities downstairs for half an hour so thought I'd pop in to say hello. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope you all have a great day! icon_smile.gif

I may get an hour or so game time later on this evening, fingers crossed. icon14.gif

Press print screen button and the paste it into a graphics program, even paint will do and crop it to whatever. Then upload it to something like imageshack (google it and it will find it). Use the direct link that it gives you (very important its that link) for the URL button thing on this forum. I think theres a button within fm to do it as well but I prefer to have the whole image so I can do cool things like putting all my fixtures on one big image when that wouldn't normally fit on my screen.

Originally posted by Truegunner:

I just holidayed the irish league for a year and found no teams got relegated, so I thought I would ask here if it would be alright to holiday for an extra year in Ireland(after the first season the relegation system reappers.

That's fine Truegunner. icon14.gif

There's more on this issue here.

So five games remain for Randaberg and automatic promotion is just about alive, although the play-off spot is much more likely. The last five games are going to be huge. Just to add aswel that the teams I'm competing with for promotion are all professional! Which isn't making life any easier.

Amur Blagoveschensk - Russian Premier Division 2010 - End of Season

A top-half finish in our first season in the top flight!

League Table

8th place probably isn't a true reflection of our standing within this league though, I couldn't have argued if we'd finished three, even four places lower down. A very good (and quite fortunate at times) run towards the end of the season (winning 7 of our last 9 league games) boosted us up the table.

CSKA Moscow retain the league title once again, closely followed (again) by Spartak Moscow.

We're still in the cup, having just beaten Saturn 1-0 in the 7th round.

(Unlike the league season, the cup runs from July to May, so we won't play our Quarter-Final until next season now)

Here's the squad, not much to look at other than star striker Yevstafjev, who bagged a very impressive 24 goals in 29 league games (plus 2 more in 2 cup games).

I've now played on through to the start of the next league campaign, and have spent the close season clearing out the useless remains from our First Division years, and have brought in a few players to strengthen the side.

With the club in ever-increasing debt, I haven't had much to work with, and we've had our wage budget reducing to about £19k/week. Our balance currently reads -£220k and we lose money every month. I've agreed the sale of our full-back Nefedov for £375k + 30% at the end of the new season, so that will help us out massively in a financial sense, but he is one of our better players and will more than likely be missed.

We've now played 6 games of the new season, and have only lost 1 game so far icon_biggrin.gif Unfortunately, we've only won 1 as well, so currently languish in 12th place. Of the two newly promoted sides, Ural look absolutely terrible, they've conceded 20 goals in 6 games and scored just one. If they survive, it'll be miraculous.

Right, that'll do, sorry for there being only a few screenshots above, I carried on past the end of the season before I remembered to take the rest.

Hope everyone has had a nice christmas, and best of luck wiht your games.

Békéscsaba Elöre 2015/16 The End?

Having drawn and lost to Real Madrid in champions league qualifying we then drew Real Betis is UEFA cup qualifying. This annoyed me a lot when there are other draws out there that would be easy win against both teams playing. We played them close but lost overall leaving me ****ed off at having to play through the Hungarian cups again with half my team wanting to leave for bigger clubs.

Therefore I feel it is to step back in my time machine and find a new challenge in a league without so many cups. Countries under consideration, Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Possibly some of the rubbish western European leagues too. If you have experience in these leagues, are they good? what restrictions do they have, Hungary was 5 non-EU, I know Poland has none and Bulgaria was 4 I think but I'm not sure about Serbia and others.

Originally posted by Truegunner:

I'm just playing Mullingar town(I will put up a screenshot soon of my profile), and I was wondering do I have to scout every single player I find, even Irish ones?

You don't have scout every player in order to sign them, the option of being able to scout him needs to be there or to be able to trial him first.

ohh, yuk! i`m having some problems with the prints of my profile and league table. When i`ve saved them and try to put them in paint, i get a screen of one of my training schgedules.

Does someone know what i`m doing wrong and if i can give updates without pictures?

Originally posted by Sytse:

ohh, yuk! i`m having some problems with the prints of my profile and league table. When i`ve saved them and try to put them in paint, i get a screen of one of my training schgedules.

Does someone know what i`m doing wrong and if i can give updates without pictures?

are you sure your pressing Print Screen in FM

Archived