Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Downpatrick, Northern Ireland - European Update

Another season, another 1st round qualifying match for the Champions League. This time it saw us seeded for the draw and drawn against Kairat from Kazahkstan.

Leg 1 (h) 4-0

Leg 2 (a) 0-4

Wow an 8-0 aggregate win which saw us set up a tie against AIK from Sweden.

Leg 1 (h) 1-0

Leg 2 (a) 2-5

Well after last seasons disappointment at this stage, I have to say I am very pleased at beating good Swedish opposition.

Qualifying Round 3 vs PSV (Holland)

Leg 1

Leg 2

Leg 2 has literally just been played so all I can say is omg, omg, omg!

Recovered now and pressed continue.

Interesting Group Draw - very much doubt I will be able to squeeze points out of any these teams. I thiink I would have preferred group D, but they all look hard to me.

The £3 million pounds just for getting to this stage is quite nice though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, good work! icon14.gif

You'll also get ALOT of money at the end of the season for TV revenue. icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Downpatrick, Northern Ireland - European Update

Another season, another 1st round qualifying match for the Champions League. This time it saw us seeded for the draw and drawn against Kairat from Kazahkstan.

Leg 1 (h) 4-0

Leg 2 (a) 0-4

Wow an 8-0 aggregate win which saw us set up a tie against AIK from Sweden.

Leg 1 (h) 1-0

Leg 2 (a) 2-5

Well after last seasons disappointment at this stage, I have to say I am very pleased at beating good Swedish opposition.

Qualifying Round 3 vs PSV (Holland)

Leg 1

Leg 2

Leg 2 has literally just been played so all I can say is omg, omg, omg!

Recovered now and pressed continue.

Interesting Group Draw - very much doubt I will be able to squeeze points out of any these teams. I thiink I would have preferred group D, but they all look hard to me.

The £3 million pounds just for getting to this stage is quite nice though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, good work! icon14.gif

You'll also get ALOT of money at the end of the season for TV revenue. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Times like this I am thankful for a big squad, due to the fixture congestion I suspect I am about to have.

Currently not playing my strongest lineup in the league cup group stages so I can stand a chance of having top quality fit players for the CL Group stage.

I have been given odds of 5000-1 to win the Champions League. Even I wouldnt want to bet on us this season :p

Originally posted by mocko666:

Ill put a pound on Gilbster i have the faith and plus one pounds nothing when i could win 5000 icon_wink.gif

Good luck you can do it and if not just think of the pound signs its enough of a win

That looks like a wasted pound this season at any rate. It will be good for our profile at any rate.

Arsenal 5-1 Downpatrick is result 1.

well i have made my choice and i have plumped for the mighty Caerleon AFC for my attempt in Wales.

Info Screen

Finances

my challenge for the 2 years of my contract is simply to avoid relegation, which is what i have promised my board this season. my squad is in need of strengthening - something i will have to achieve without a parent club, as i'm not eligible for one.

i really hope that this could finally be my home and the basis for my long-term challenge.

P.S. i stated earlier that my team play at Hot Bath Road. i was wrong. icon13.gif they play at Cold Bath Road!! icon14.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I've got two rather big problems.

I had to re-install FM and now my Novalja game won't load so that's screwed, shall have to start again.

Also, the patch won't download now so if someone would be as kind to e-mail it to me via my yahoo e-mail in my profile it would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I've got that I shall be back in with a new game, probably in Croatia again. icon14.gif

You're Novalja game should load now that you've installed the patch...

Hey Gundo how do you get the squad numbers at the bottom of your squad screen that says if your players were trained in your squad or in the country??

Just drew away against bottom of the table and quess what they had 10 men i pretty much went to make a cuppa when they went to 10 men icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I had to re-install FM and now my Novalja game won't load so that's screwed, shall have to start again.

Also, the patch won't download now so if someone would be as kind to e-mail it to me via my yahoo e-mail in my profile it would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I've got that I shall be back in with a new game, probably in Croatia again. icon14.gif

Your Novalja game should load now that you've installed the patch... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear dear me icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Quacky:

Thats how damn poor that team is rlipscombe, they can't afford to heat the water up icon_smile.gif.

Other stuff, I just got thumped by Benfica 5-2 and how do you get up that league positions graph thingy, I can't find it anywhere.

Click on your position (ie. 4th) when you're looking at the league table.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

You're Novalja game should load now that you've installed the patch... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame I deleted it without thinking at all. icon_mad.gif

This tiredness really getting the better of me... icon13.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

You're Novalja game should load now that you've installed the patch... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame I deleted it without thinking at all. icon_mad.gif

This tiredness really getting the better of me... icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How convenient... icon_wink.gif

Just kidding, good luck in your next game icon14.gif

Originally posted by José Pandinho:

Russian First Division - Season 1 2008

Really got into this game today and ended up finishing my first season already! Although a cup run consisting of only 1 game did help in terms of speed.

The boys did me proud with a 13th place finish in theleague.

The squad looks a little something like this.

Progress chart.

We had a bad start to the season with 3 defeats on the belt end and being given odds of 2000/1 of being promoted! Obviously the fact that my players had only known eachother a week by this point was having an effect on things, as the season moved on and my tactics added abit of much needed grit to the side, we were on track. We then proceeded to go 7 games undefeated in the league, unfortunately 6 of those games ended in a draw. It was at this point that my board takeover finally went through, not only did the board not make any more cash available, they decided to sever all my links with FC Moscow, meaning that the 4 quality players I had on loan were all sent packing. Great.

With these young stars headed back to Moscow, form hit a slight downturn on the way into the transfer window re-opening in August. I offloaded a couple of players who i'd signed for free, unfortunately i didn't recoup any money for them but at least they were off the wage bill. It was at this point I got my new parent club, Spartak Moscow, the cavalry had arrived to save me from the relegation dog fight!

I also had high hopes for youngster Stanislav Zhukov (5k) who came highly recommended by one of my scouts, unfortunately he picked up a knock on his debut which ruled him out for the next 2 months. When he arrived, he arrived in style with 7 goals in 8 games to give a much needed spark to the last leg of the season.

Roll on next season, I'm hoping to consolidate next season and maybe creep a little higher up the league table, before making a real promotion push in season 3. Money is very tight, I seem to be losing money on a monthly basis leaving me around 40-50k in debt at the moment.

Solid first season there icon14.gif

I signed Zhukov at the start as well and he's been very impressive for me. He's managed 44 league goals in a season and a half (63 games) and my most important player. Unfortunately he's leaving at the end of the season, for £250k +40%.

Also have Koshechkin who has been pretty solid in defence for me.

I really want to go in Croatia again though. I re-loaded about 20 times and I had about teams come up.

Karlovac, Novalja, Slavonija, Bjelovar, Vukovar, and Vrbovec. Think that's them all.

Novalja were my old team, I wanted to be a new team so Karlovac and Slavonija are taken and the rest don't really appeal, Vukovar are amateur too.

Tempted to be Novalja again but not sure about it.

Just had a 27k bid for my young goalkeeper, by a team in the same league battling to stay up heres the player Erdei really do not know what to do as i dont want to help a team in the same league as me and he has the potential to become alot better than my current goalkeeper, i am in some financial difficulty but im not sure id be able to bing in someone of the same quality quickly.

Its quite ironic i raised the offer to push them and did not think theyd meet it, it turns out they did.

Any help? Do you think the offers worth it for a player who should lead the goalkeeping position in a few years time and for years after, my coaches say he should be a leading goalkeeper in the division when he reaches his potential (and i say when not if)

Just had a 27k bid for my young goalkeeper, by a team in the same league battling to stay up heres the player Erdei really do not know what to do as i dont want to help a team in the same league as me and he has the potential to become alot better than my current goalkeeper, i am in some financial difficulty but im not sure id be able to bing in someone of the same quality quickly.

Its quite ironic i raised the offer to push them and did not think theyd meet it, it turns out they did.

Any help? Do you think the offers worth it for a player who should lead the goalkeeping position in a few years time and for years after, my coaches say he should be a leading goalkeeper in the division when he reaches his potential (and i say when not if)

£27k isn't much really, I'd keep hold of him.

Personally I'd have negotiated up to at least £100k. That way if they met it, it would help your finances probably quite a bit, or if they didnt you still have a good player.

I'm sure you will be able to get another player at some point for cover, and early on in the challenge its just about surviving, and a bit of future planning.

Perhaps offer him to other clubs for more money, and then offer him a new contract at the same time? See if he has any loyalty at all.

Decided hes going to be worth more thn that when i turn him into a superstar next season or at least in time for a relegation battle in the first division and 27k is going to get me back in the black for about a week then its back downhill despite being 5k below the wage budget

Wow, I think I am running on adrenaline or something here. Downpatrick will still be in Europe when competition returns in February. However with 1 game to go it hasnt been decided which competition they will be in.

Full group stage update will follow once I have finished it.

Downpatrick - Champion's League Group Stage Update

Well after getting over the shock of getting this far, I got put into a group with Valencia, Arsenal and HSV. I gave myself next to no chance of getting a single point in any game.

Results in order they happened:

Arsenal 5-1 Downpatrick

Well we started roughly as I expected, completely thrashed by Arsenal. Well they are still good opposition so I cant be too surprised.

Downpatrick 2-2 Valencia

Valencia went 2-0 up within the first 15 mins of the match, and we got the equalizer in the 87th min. Good match, and amazing to think I took a point off Valencia.

Downpatrick 2-1 HSV

Going into this game we both had 1 point, so I thought if I could win I may have half a chance of finishing third. Somehow we won this game.

HSV 1 - 3 Downpatrick

Our first away win of the group stage, and the double over HSV. Well that was unexpected and on 7 points, I figured there was an outside chance of a top 2 position.

Downpatrick 2-1 Arsenal

Wow, I still don't believe that we beat Arsenal. We went 1-0 down after 9 mins, and then equalized in the 12th min. I would have happily settled for a draw, but a young Portuguese player called Je had other ideas and scored in the 90th min to net me a win.

10 points and sitting 2nd in the table on goal difference. Valencia were top and we had them next. Arsenal were on 7 points with a good goal difference too. All Downpatrick needed to do was win or draw in Spain to qualify in the top 2.

Valencia 5-2 Downpatrick

Oh well, you can't have everything and of course Arsenal won their game.

Final Group Table

Turns out we missed out due to lousy goal difference. I couldnt have asked for more from my squad for their first Champions League group stage. Hopefully this will help our coefficients and get us a better reputation.

And of course finishing third should still give us the UEFA cup so there is still hope for some more upsets.

Originally posted by McNeil:

Gilbster you might have lost out on head to head, im not sure, but i think they have added the new head to head thing like it does in the real Champions League, unlucky on it, but good luck in your uefa cup run icon_smile.gif

Just checked the rules and yes the results between teams is the first tiebreaker. Not too bothered about it since I honestly didnt expect to get that many points at all in that group.

I can't persuade my star striker to sign a new contract and its almost the point of the season that teams like poaching players on bosmans. I dont want to just sell him like I do with a lot of other want away players, just hope I dont have any approaches for him.

Been drawn against Spartak Moscow in the first knockout round of the UEFA cup. We have played them once before 2 seasons ago, in the UEFA cup group stage where they beat us 5-0.

I just hope we can do better than that.

Marginally worried about fixture congestion, given the amount of matches re-arranged just due to this tie being announced. I'm 6 matches behind in the league already.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by emgergo:

Thanks, Quacky.

7 years icon_rolleyes.gif

TBH my chances of surviving are bad judging by the last years icon_razz.gif

Just goes to show persistence pays off. Well Done. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW our league unbeaten run now stretches to 36 games. Reaching 40 would be awesome icon_smile.gif

We went pro, reputation shot up. Board are tight ass wankers with money, so I only got 80K, which is about the half what I really need. So far I signed an AM RC, an AMC, an MC, a DC, loaned a DC and a DM, and I badly need more defenders with first division routine. Up front we're all right, mindfield OK now, maybe a backup GK will be needed too.

Forgot to put my profile on the post i said forgot to add my profile how ironic

profilesu4.th.jpg

Good luck in Hungary!

The team you took over is a potential powerhouse. Szeged is the biggest city of Southern Hungary, and they've been first division members for quite a few time, always battling relegation. Last time they were up was in 99/00 I think, but they had to withdraw as the ower ran out of money.

They have a huge and fierce following (when they enjoy at least moderate success), and very good youth teams. As the team is now IRL lower league, the main sport in the city is handball, but locals always complain of the lack of a good football team.

Been drawn against Spartak Moscow in the first knockout round of the UEFA cup. We have played them once before 2 seasons ago, in the UEFA cup group stage where they beat us 5-0.

Marginally worried about fixture congestion, given the amount of matches re-arranged just due to this tie being announced. I'm 6 matches behind in the league already.

Good luck! icon14.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Good luck! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, good luck!! you were so unlucky not to have made it through the gropus. although it might turn out to be better for you in long run. you'd probably be knocked out if made it through, whereas you might have more of a chance of making an impact in Europe via the UEFA Cup. Cracking progress nevertheless...

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Good luck! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, good luck!! you were so unlucky not to have made it through the gropus. although it might turn out to be better for you in long run. you'd probably be knocked out if made it through, whereas you might have more of a chance of making an impact in Europe via the UEFA Cup. Cracking progress nevertheless... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the encouragement.

1st Knockout Round Leg 1

1st Knockout Round Leg 2

Well the dream is over for this season at least. My strikers just didnt feel like scoring against Moscow and at least the score line was reasonably respectable.

There is always next season. Hope to get to the 3rd CL qualifying round each season from now and see where we can go from there.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

unlucky gilbster... decent result in Moscow, but not quite enough.

i think that seems like a realistic target. it's all about progress and you've progressed further than previously, which can only be a good thing!! icon14.gif

Progress is always good. If I can see progress ocurring then I am happy.

Resulting Fixture Congestion - it is now 24th March and the Premier Division season always ends at the end of April. I still have 15 matches in the league to play, at least 1 more All Ireland cup game (if I win then up to 2 more) and also Irish Cup fixtures still.

Help!!!! At one point I have 4 games in 5 days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

i think that seems like a realistic target. it's all about progress and you've progressed further than previously, which can only be a good thing!! icon14.gif

Resulting Fixture Congestion - it is now 24th March and the Premier Division season always ends at the end of April. I still have 15 matches in the league to play, at least 1 more All Ireland cup game (if I win then up to 2 more) and also Irish Cup fixtures still.

Help!!!! At one point I have 4 games in 5 days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the price of success..... icon_rolleyes.gif

a little bit of background info on my Caerleon AFC:

Caerleon A.F.C. is an association football club based in the Roman village of Caerleon on the northern outskirts of the City of Newport. Caerleon have resided in the Welsh Football League First Division for numerous seasons, but have, in recent years, had to battle hard to keep their place in the upper echelons of Welsh football.

The club's crest depicts the former Roman legionary fortress at Caerleon. The name of the home ground, Cold Bath Road, has Roman origins and is close to several Roman architectural remains. Despite its picturesque location the ground suffers from considerable drainage problems and is sometimes nicknamed "the Mudbath".

Not quite sure i like the info about our pitch!! best not be true to life on the game or i'll have to abandon 'sexy' football!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

I remember this from last year's challenge, it does get a bit insane. Just think how bad it will be when (not if) you go further in Europe!

Slavonija - End of Season Update - Season 7 (14/15) - Cro First Div

Despite my ambitions to keep rising up the league, the players simply did not get the message. The defence was far too weak and the chairman selling off my main striker meant I never reasonably replaced him. These factors combined led to this finish. icon13.gif

It was a rocky season with no real long runs with or without a win and the graph shows this.

My latest keeper was my personal player of the year - Topic

Mate Bogdanovic picked up young player of the year again for another good year on the left wing. He is certainly a bit of a gem. icon14.gif

Aside from the league a number of changes occurred in pre season....cue drum roll...

Hurrah!! Professional At Last!

This is massive in terms of progression. We can now scout around Europe. icon_biggrin.gif Simply huge news. This is what is required to push through that glass ceiling and mix it with the big boys of Croatian football. Also the clubs reputation has improved and we can now snap up players from rivals - much like what they've been doing to us. \o/

The only downside in pre season was the local councils decision to block a stadium expansion. icon_frown.gif

I hope the board can find a way around this!

Finally youth and training facilities are on the up again. Woo.

My ambitions for next season are climbing the table. With the right players I think InterToto Cup is not unrealistic. C'mon the Slavs! icon_cool.gif

I remember this from last year's challenge, it does get a bit insane. Just think how bad it will be when (not if) you go further in Europe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like you'll need 1 squad for domestic games and 1 for Europe at this rate. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well after fearing the worst through Pre-Season, with 4 defeat and 1 draw from 5 games, the season has begun with a bang, 2 3-0 victories in our opening 2 games has seen us shoot to 2nd in the table, long may it continue, maybe some day we will be in shakhtars league icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Gorazd Tasic

The first man outside of Croatia/Bosnia to join Slavonija. The new scouting freedom we've been given is reaping the rewards already. I have high hopes for this guy. icon_biggrin.gif

This game has really stepped up to the next level for me now. Can finally see us challenging for honours now icon14.gif

I know exactly how that feels. Being able to get in much stronger than your local player base is always good. Good luck for your new season.

Thanks Gilbster, it really is a good feeling.

With all the money I've saved up for the last few years I really went all out and splashed the cash.

For those that can remember (aaberdeenn) Mr Semialjac has been dramatically resigned! He is now on the highest weekly wage in the history of Slavonija. What's the point of having money if you're not going to spend it!?

Transfers

Hey Gundo how do you get the squad numbers at the bottom of your squad screen that says if your players were trained in your squad or in the country??

They where just their upon our promotion to the 1st divisjon. Although I think it is for leagues/divisions with specific squad registration limitations only. It wasn't on our squad screen when we played in the Second divisjon? But that will have been because we didn't have to register players for that league.

With all the money I've saved up for the last few years I really went all out and splashed the cash.

For those that can remember (aaberdeenn) Mr Semialjac has been dramatically resigned! He is now on the highest weekly wage in the history of Slavonija. What's the point of having money if you're not going to spend it!?

Transfers

Any chance of a screenie of his playing history page plz? icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by McNeil:

Well for my attempt at your challenge this year, I have chosen the mighty Nyva Ternopil from Ukraine.

Heres their history of league positions

Here is my profile

So let the Challenge for FM08 begin icon_smile.gif

oh and on a final note, THERES ONLY ONE PATRIK BURDA, ONE PATRIK BURDA!!

Good Luck with Nyva Ternopil. icon14.gif

There is indeed only one Patrik Burda. icon_cool.gif

Although there is another Scandinavian Superstar striker lurking in Norway at the moment...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Transfers

Any chance of a screenie of his playing history page plz? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gundo, for you, anything. History

Also need to add this is ******* that jumped ship when we were languishing in the second division! But forgive and forget. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Transfers

Any chance of a screenie of his playing history page plz? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also need to add this is ******* that jumped ship when we were languishing in the second division! But forgive and forget. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks iacovone. icon14.gif

He looks like a real good player, you must be delighted to have him back where he belongs. Have you any idea why he hasn't won a Croatian cap yet? Or are the Croatian strikers in the current era on another level to him?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Transfers

Also need to add this is ******* that jumped ship when we were languishing in the second division! But forgive and forget. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks iacovone. icon14.gif

He looks like a real good player, you must be delighted to have him back where he belongs. Have you any idea why he hasn't won a Croatian cap yet? Or are the Croatian strikers in the current era on another level to him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I am delighted to have him back. He scored on his comeback game icon_biggrin.gif.

He is good but look at the competition for Croatia:

Striker 1

Striker 2

Striker 3

Striker 4

congrats iacovone on finally going professional. seem to be reaping the rewards of this already with your signings. i do think that this will help you make the breakthrough to join the 'big boys.'

i look forward to reading the reports of your european exploits soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

Archived