Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gundo - Norwegian 2.divisjon Avd.3 Season 2009

So my second season in the Norwegian lower reaches promised little yet delivered so much more than I ever expected. Our Board ambitiously wanted a title challenge, where as I would of been happy enough with a top 5 finish. After alot of hasty rushing around the transfer market early on, I duly picked some good acquisitions. One such player who signed for us for a club record 35k was Stian Ringstand, at only 17yo the boy is an incredible prospect for Randaberg and Norway alike and was already a Norway under 19 player before he joined. icon14.gif

So after a blistering start to our 2.divisjon campaign which saw us race into a 5 point lead after 8 games, things then slowed and a few key players picked up niggling injuries. When the transfer window re-opened in July I added one or two decent loanees to our squad from a big club just down the road - Viking Stavanger. This helped immensely and our form picked up again. We then managed to string together what can only be described as a remarkable undefeated sequence. This same good run of form didn't falter and kept us right up their until the last.

A fantastic 2-0 away win over 2nd placed Vigør in our penultimate game catapulted us up to top dog and first place. So with one game to go I sat top of the pile 2 points ahead of Start 2 and 3 points ahead of Vigør. This meant promotion was virtually secured as Start 2 couldn't get promoted as they're a reserve team and only a significant goal turn around in favour of Vigør and a really heavy defeat for us would have seen them overtake us. I still wanted the title though, however the stumbling block which was Sandnes UIF was no easy obstacle to overcome. Unfortunately Start 2 won 4-1! and we could only manage a 1-1 draw despite us dominating hugely, which of course meant Start 2 claimed 1st place and took the title. Final league table

Other things of note included a link up between Stavanger IF the team I managed in last seasons challenge, the deal meaning they became my feeder club. Meanwhile Randabergs top scorer with 16 goals in 25 games was Mostafa Abdellaoue who had an excellent season. The Norwegian 'Burda' Stian Rindstad played his part when he wasn't injured of course form on the wing and upfront. Attacking left midfielder Per Christian Myrhe also came on a treat this season and developed into decent little performer. The main performer from our 'homegrown' bunch was Ove Fiske. I was absolutely delighted with this young lad, he was a really good asset to have. His main strength is his hard working nature, but the boy can play aswell and this was evident as he scooped 6 assists from just 11 starts. icon14.gif

Next season in 1.divisjon survival is the only thing that matters to me, it's going to be a long tough season.

Originally posted by Quacky:

is there a chance of far eastern Russian team being promoted or then again maybe I'll just dart board it and aim for eastern Europe ish.

I've just being looking into this, and yes, it looks like you can get a far eastern team promoted.

Five teams are promoted into the Russian First Division, one from each of five regional Second Divisions. That means one team from the Second Division East, which includes FC Sakhalin from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Sakhalin Island.

Gundo, is Russia back on the list? If so, I think I'm going to try and get this team promoted. Playing on an island thousands of miles from the rest of the Russian teams and even further from the rest of Europe would be quite a challenge! It's almost in the Pacific Ocean!

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quacky:

is there a chance of far eastern Russian team being promoted or then again maybe I'll just dart board it and aim for eastern Europe ish.

I've just being looking into this, and yes, it looks like you can get a far eastern team promoted.

Five teams are promoted into the Russian First Division, one from each of five regional Second Divisions. That means one team from the Second Division East, which includes FC Sakhalin from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Sakhalin Island.

Gundo, is Russia back on the list? If so, I think I'm going to try and get this team promoted. Playing on an island thousands of miles from the rest of the Russian teams and even further from the rest of Europe would be quite a challenge! It's almost in the Pacific Ocean! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Guidelines will be updated as soon as one of the Mods gets round to it, they have been informed. But yeah officially Romania and Russia are back in the mix. icon14.gif

Managing on an Island sounds cool, will be some challenge though. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quacky:

Gundo, is Russia back on the list? If so, I think I'm going to try and get this team promoted. Playing on an island thousands of miles from the rest of the Russian teams and even further from the rest of Europe would be quite a challenge! It's almost in the Pacific Ocean! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Guidelines will be updated as soon as one of the Mods gets round to it, they have been informed. But yeah officially Romania and Russia are back in the mix. icon14.gif

Managing on an Island sounds cool, will be some challenge though. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I can't imagine many people are going to want to come and play there. Might be able to tempt some Koreans and Japanese though, the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is closer to Hokkaido, Japan that it is to mainland Russia!

My dafuge game is starting to lose its appeal hence I am thinking that once this season has finished I will probably start up this challenge.

Not entirely sure what league I want to try. Can anyone plead a good case for any of the leagues? I am contemplating for no apparent reason N. Ireland, Austria, Israel and/or possibly all the others!

I have definitely had a great game years ago in Sweden, with a team called Essinge, but have a feeling there are now more Swedish divisions. I recall managing in one of the Irelands before, and Wales (again not for years).

I know I will end up attempting this challenge multiple times, and will probably hold off on Iceland for a while, since its the hardest.

The Scandinavian leagues are fun, I'd recommend the Norwegian leagues but due to the squad registration issue in the top two division it makes it very difficult at the minute, it will be corrected with the next patch though.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other users putting forward their cases for their relevant nations. icon14.gif

Belgium is probably one of the easier nations to complete the challenge in. Belgium's reputation isn't as low as most of the other nations. And the foreigner rules are quite lenient as well. (Minimum 6 "home grown/nation" players in the match squad.)

Not to say the challenge will be EASY in Belgium though. Doing well in Europe with a Belgian team would still be a fine achievement, and should take a fair number of years to achieve. (I'm in 2015/16 now, and just about getting settled in the top division.)

But it's not as near-impossible as some of the other nations. For me, it's just about the right level of toughness.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

My dafuge game is starting to lose its appeal hence I am thinking that once this season has finished I will probably start up this challenge.

Not entirely sure what league I want to try. Can anyone plead a good case for any of the leagues? I am contemplating for no apparent reason N. Ireland, Austria, Israel and/or possibly all the others!

I have definitely had a great game years ago in Sweden, with a team called Essinge, but have a feeling there are now more Swedish divisions. I recall managing in one of the Irelands before, and Wales (again not for years).

I know I will end up attempting this challenge multiple times, and will probably hold off on Iceland for a while, since its the hardest.

As far as N.Ireland goes, if it's like it was on FM07, it should be relatively easy to rise to the top of the domestic pile, but then a LOT harder to take on the european challenge. In FM07, I think I won my first Premier Division title in around 2012 or 2013, but didn't complete the challenge until 2027 (I think).

Also, avoid it if you aren't a fan of being inundated with cup competitions, they come by the bucketload.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

Belgium is probably one of the easier nations to complete the challenge in. Belgium's reputation isn't as low as most of the other nations. And the foreigner rules are quite lenient as well. (Minimum 6 "home grown/nation" players in the match squad.)

Not to say the challenge will be EASY in Belgium though. Doing well in Europe with a Belgian team would still be a fine achievement, and should take a fair number of years to achieve. (I'm in 2015/16 now, and just about getting settled in the top division.)

But it's not as near-impossible as some of the other nations. For me, it's just about the right level of toughness.

Poland has absolutely no restrictions. Sign them from anywhere and they are good to go, no matter what. Of course attracting them can be a challenge. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Managing on an Island sounds cool, will be some challenge though. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I can't imagine many people are going to want to come and play there. Might be able to tempt some Koreans and Japanese though, the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is closer to Hokkaido, Japan that it is to mainland Russia! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like it might be impossible to get Sakhalin promoted, just had a look in the editor and they have a tiny reputation (250) compared to most of the other clubs (750-2500).

So instead!

I shall take over as Manager of Amur Blagoveschensk, located on the Russian-Chinese border just a mere 7985 miles from Moscow.

Not a single player (not even in the youth team) or a single member of staff on our books. The club has just £67k in the bank and have given me a wage budget of £4895 a week with no transfer funds.

Come on you Reds!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

As far as N.Ireland goes, if it's like it was on FM07, it should be relatively easy to rise to the top of the domestic pile, but then a LOT harder to take on the european challenge. In FM07, I think I won my first Premier Division title in around 2012 or 2013, but didn't complete the challenge until 2027 (I think).

Also, avoid it if you aren't a fan of being inundated with cup competitions, they come by the bucketload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After playing 6 consecutive seasons in League 2, a challenge with a tiny bit of ease may be just what I need, at least for domestic sucess! As a result I am now holidaying in N. Ireland, and will see who I can find to manage.

Certainly if I can take Sakhalin islands to the top I will, sounds like fun icon_biggrin.gif

Lets get holidaying....

Doesn't look like it's possible unfortunately, their reputation is just too low. I reloaded the save a lot of times and the lowest rep team to appear (from the Eastern Division) was Amur (who I've taken over), and they have a rep of 1000.

Krokom 2013 - midseason 2013.

I tought we would do better than our last time around, but this is just insane. I'm a bit scared that we might actually achieve promotion. I'll try my best (I'll never play to lose), but I don't think we're quite ready yet.

On a side note we finally sold our U21-keeper for 90k+20k€, an offer I simply couldn't refuse. The good thing is that Sweden seems to be producing good young keepers like rabbits. We signed another great prospect (18yo) that, altough his stats seem to be less than his predecessor, looks a lot safer in the back (despite occasional screw ups due to a lack of experience).

Gilbster, get your ass back to Sweden icon_smile.gif. One of the most interesting leagues in my opninion. And while there are 4 divisions, as far as I can see, quality between teams within the same division is about the same, so it's not that hard to succeed. And there are a lot of good young players in Sweden. Seriously.

But if you want to give another country a go, since you've already done Sweden: My choice would be either Denmark (My next game if I finally take Krokom to their place in history), or Austria (because I don't remember anyone managing there, and I curious at how things work there)

Originally posted by freek_teek:

Krokom 2013 - midseason 2013.

I tought we would do better than our last time around, but this is just insane. I'm a bit scared that we might actually achieve promotion. I'll try my best (I'll never play to lose), but I don't think we're quite ready yet.

On a side note we finally sold our U21-keeper for 90k+20k€, an offer I simply couldn't refuse. The good thing is that Sweden seems to be producing good young keepers like rabbits. We signed another great prospect (18yo) that, altough his stats seem to be less than his predecessor, looks a lot safer in the back (despite occasional screw ups due to a lack of experience).

Gilbster, get your ass back to Sweden icon_smile.gif. One of the most interesting leagues in my opninion. And while there are 4 divisions, as far as I can see, quality between teams within the same division is about the same, so it's not that hard to succeed. And there are a lot of good young players in Sweden. Seriously.

But if you want to give another country a go, since you've already done Sweden: My choice would be either Denmark (My next game if I finally take Krokom to their place in history), or Austria (because I don't remember anyone managing there, and I curious at how things work there)

Given I am a ridiculously bad manager I suspect I will try this challenge in multiple countries until I find one that I dont get instantly relegated within the first season.

Looking at the teams in N.Ireland I recall managing Larne there in the past, but I am 100% positive there wasnt a 2nd division at the time and dont recall there being excessive amounts of cups.

NK Slovan, 2013-14

Fans, board: top half

Me: promotion

Media: no promotion (3rd)

In: 6 for 60K + 3 loans

Out: 11 for 24K

Team is strenghtened yet again, and to my surprise no team runs away with the title as usual. We continue our unbeaten streak from last spring, which ends after 20 games at the hands of Livar. We even spend a week at the top, then finish 4th after the autumn, 4 pts behind Livar, and 1 behind surprise team Aluminij and Mura.

In the winter break we splash 60K on a 18-year-old ST, who proves he's worth every penny: the guy adds 10 goals in 11 games and finishes the season with 19 goals.

With more firepower up front we move to second, Mura screws up, and Livar pulls away. Three games to go, and we are 4 points clear for the promotion playoff spot.

Then we lose to Aluminij, draw the next game, and we find ourselves trailing one point to them for the 2nd spot race. Livar comfortably wins the title.

In the last round we beat Portoroz-Piran 1-0, and Aluminij break under pressure: they only draw 2-2 at Zavrc! \o/

This means promotion playoff against fierce rivals Interblock icon_biggrin.gif

First match: they have more chances, and take the lead from a free-kick after 20 minutes. We pull level in the 79th, and the result is really good for the home leg!

The return leg sees much less action, but unfortunately Aluminij find the only goal, while we are unable to take a shot on target (we were 8/0 icon_frown.gif). Playoffs suck icon_mad.gif

2nd NK Slovan 16-7-4 51-31 55 pts

Cup sucked. Out in the 2nd round against Zavrc.

---

Awards:

Fans' POY, 2nd Div. POY, best Avg.: towering DC captain (7.42)

Best scorer: talented loanee and 60K record-signing, both 10 goals

Oh, well.

Next time.

But it's getting frustrating icon_mad.gificon_wink.gif

League table

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Gilbster, come to Croatia. icon_wink.gif

With an advertisement like that, you should work for the Croatian tourist board ;p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

My current game, now into my 3rd season; is the most enjoyable game I've ever had on any FM (I've only played 07 & 08 though) and it's actually the 3rd longest too.

Really enjoying it.

Agree with you there aaberdeenn, I'm loving this game too...Croatia = THE place to be! icon_wink.gif

After a year of holidaying, Gilbster has taken control a little known Northern Irish club called Downpatrick. With a 905 capacity stadium, basic training facilities, minimal youth facilities and no staff, but some players, it is an interesting looking challenge.

A media prediction of 6th out of 12, and a squad of assorted youth players and players currently out of contract.

Downpatrick Info

Ok wish me luck as I attempt to hire some staff and get to grips with a much smaller league than I've been used to.

Quaky - are you sure? Take a read and dare to tell me you're not tempted!

Enjoy the Stunning Scenery of Croatia! Croatian holidays have a number of selling points, with an abundance of fine coastline, crystal clear blue waters and lots of sunshine. Holidays in Croatia can offer unique classical architecture and thousands of miles of coastline. The outstanding natural beauty of Croatia adds even more to this hidden gem of European holiday spots.

i also agree with aaberdeenn

i have played cm/fm since i was about 6/7 and im 14 now and like aaberdeenn i have found it alot of fun, its actually given me something worthwhile to do on the game instead of doing what most people of my age do which would probably start a game (with man u or chelsea or liverpool or arsenal) sign a few players, win the league, get bored and then leave the game in the corner of the bedroom.

cheers for this!

im loving it!

Originally posted by iacovone:

Quaky - are you sure? Take a read and dare to tell me you're not tempted!

Enjoy the Stunning Scenery of Croatia! Croatian holidays have a number of selling points, with an abundance of fine coastline, crystal clear blue waters and lots of sunshine. Holidays in Croatia can offer unique classical architecture and thousands of miles of coastline. The outstanding natural beauty of Croatia adds even more to this hidden gem of European holiday spots.

Seemed to me when I went there that about half of the beaches were nudist beaches. In case that sways anyone.

Although you can say the same for Slovenia, and they have ski resorts as well.

Slovenia is amazing. Go there!!!

i have decided too start a new game as i forgot too save my other one =S

my team is in the the 4th group of the second division in norway (third tier) they are called Mo and are expected too finish 3rd at the end of the season

i have a starting transfer budget of £0

and a starting wage budget of £1400 with the average wage of my players at only £34 (only about 1000 times lower than chelsea's average wages icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif)

luckily lots of players in norway are out of contract icon_biggrin.gif

now all i need to do is see how my team play and find a good formation to use!

ill reply back soon once i have completed my first season and hopefully gained promotion

thanks

The thing is I've managed in Slovenia before and it was good :p

I think I might be trying to Bulgaria next though, I just set up a big game and holidayed a year to see all the restrictions and cups and stuff I'll have to play in each. Anything with a league cup is nuked immediately!!!!

Wow you guys werent exaggerating with the amount of cups in Northern Ireland. Havent played a league match yet, but have done most of the group stage of 1 cup, and 2 rounds of another cup. Also now got the draw for a 3rd cup!

Haha, yep, the cups are crazy.

BTW, Good luck in N.Ireland. icon14.gif

I've been playing the International Challenge recently, but I'll be back to my Northern Ireland savegame pretty soon. icon_biggrin.gif

The thing is I've managed in Slovenia before and it was good :p

Is it? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gifmad:icon_wink.gif

I think I might be trying to Bulgaria next though, I just set up a big game and holidayed a year to see all the restrictions and cups and stuff I'll have to play in each. Anything with a league cup is nuked immediately!!!!

Look out, there is a registration system there. With so many registration bugs emerging, you might well run into something silly.

Wow you guys werent exaggerating with the amount of cups in Northern Ireland. Havent played a league match yet, but have done most of the group stage of 1 cup, and 2 rounds of another cup. Also now got the draw for a 3rd cup!

I think my GK played 84 games in 1 season last year because of the cups.

Me missed 2 as well after getting sent off.

After a year of holidaying, Gilbster has taken control a little known Northern Irish club called Downpatrick. With a 905 capacity stadium, basic training facilities, minimal youth facilities and no staff, but some players, it is an interesting looking challenge.

A media prediction of 6th out of 12, and a squad of assorted youth players and players currently out of contract.

Downpatrick Info

Ok wish me luck as I attempt to hire some staff and get to grips with a much smaller league than I've been used to.

Good luck in N'orn I'ronicon_biggrin.gificon14.gif.

My save with Lisburn Rangers last year was my most enjoyable save ever.

I didn't complete the challenge, (I'm carp), but I did get to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League 3 years on the bounce.

You are gonna be sooooo sick of cups icon_biggrin.gif.

I'm actually still playing and up to season 2020. I've won the Icelandic championship a few times and established myself as a dominating force in domestic football. However, I've stopped playing because of the overpowered grey players. At the moment my season looks like this: I hammer everyone in the league and domestic cups, then get destroyed in the first round of the Champions' League qualifications by some duff all-grey Armenian or Luxemburger team. As pleasurable as having a 20-2-0 league record might seem to those who are just starting this challenge, it does get quite old after a while. So I guess I'm waiting for the patch... again icon_frown.gif

I'm not sure if it's a save game issue. The grey players seem fine when you look at them, ie. they have appropriately low stats and ability. However, when I actually play them, a team who on paper would have problems with staying in the Icelandic top division beats me easily on my turf, massively outshooting and outpossessing my theoretically superior players.

But, anyway, at the moment I don't think I have the strength to endure another mind-numbing season of trouncing everyone 3:0 before the next European games icon_frown.gif I would probably be more motivated (for the good of the game and all) if I hadn't previously uploaded a save game that was completely ignored by the testers.

Archived