Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar story here guys, just messing about in Croatia again. I like the league.

Also one of the teams promoted came runner up in the league cup and have a UEFA cup spot icon_redface.gif

I was tempted to take over but decided against it! icon_smile.gif

I really want to get stuck in but without the patch I feel it to be a bit pointless. Strange to have all this time free!

Kinda missing my hotseat game I play with my housemates in Italy, but we are all waiting for the patch. We start at the top there mainly due to time limitations but it is always good fun! icon14.gif

I had my exam on friday and it went well so at least I will have some time to play. Just looks like I am only going to have weekends free!

ps: Apologies for the table posts gundo icon_wink.gif

Update time.

NK Slovan, 2009/10, Slovenian 2nd Division

odds: 41.00

Media prediction: 8th

Board&fans: stay clear of relegation

Me: mid-table

Players in: 8, 3 former loanees signed

Loans in: 4

Players out: 6

We built on a strong and tough defence, which was held together well by my captain and a dramatically improving young loanee. Up front we lacked a lethal scorer. The guy who I loaned with a broken thigh returned from injury in November, but - despite his excellent ability - only hit the back of the net 3 times.

We went to winter break on the 4th spot, then looked like we could make a push for a promotion place. Within 2 weeks our hopes fell apart: loss with a stupid own goal against Rudar (0-1), at home to Mura (0-2) and to Bela Krajina (0-2).

We improved a bit afterwards, secured the bronze medal with a game to go. Livar won the league with ease, going straight back up. Unfortunately they held the fiesta with a 4-0 thrashing over us icon_razz.gif

A very good season. Most of the squad is kept together, but I'll need a scoring ST, a good MC and a DC for the next season, as well as being lucky with my loans.

League table

Meldert, Belgium - May 10th 2009

Midseason table

End of season

Well, that was quite an inconsistent season.

At the halfway point we were in the relegation zone, averaging 0.8 goals per match. The kid who was supposed to be my star striker only managed to hit the net twice.

But like I mentioned at that point, it didn't feel like we were relegation material. We were playing well, just not scoring.

And then, after the winter break, things just clicked together, and scoring suddenly seemed easy. We went on a six match win streak (including a 0-8 away win in which my non-scoring striker bagged four) and a 12 match no-lose streak, putting us in with a chance for the last playoff spot.

That wasn't meant to be, as our form suddenly collapsed and we lost the last three matches of the season. But that's ok.

Matthew Bartholomew, the kid who only scored 2 goals in the first 15 matches, managed to finish the season with 18 goals.

I'm quite pleased with several of the other lads as well - especially the back four. Plenty of the backups aren't up to snuff though, so I'll be cutting away some dead wood and see if I can strengthen the squad a little.

Meldert players

A bit of team analysis as of now. I'm right after releasing like 8 useless fellas.

NK Slovan, Team positional overview

GK: Fine here. First choice keeper is rock solid, his new backup looks a huge prospect (but he apparantly has no brain, looking at his stats)

DR: No problem. two players, same quality, up to scratch.

DC: Fortunately I managed to loan the young towering DC for the third year in a row. I can move around three-four other players if needed.

DL: A bit weak. 20-year-old full-back is incostintent and prone to err, while my captain is out for months. Probably a loanee would be fine here.

DM: OK here. First choice is extremely good, my most valuable player.

MC: At the moment I have a whopping two, while I need six. Permanent contract is put before two former loanees, and I'm looking to sign key midfielders on the market.

ST: I'm in a marathon negotiation with the guy who came on loan with broken thigh last year. I have two decent strikers, a hot prospect, plus I need a key one on permanent deal, and a promising loanee too.

(as it shows we play without wingers)

Originally posted by Gundo:

I predict a top 2 finish for you for the upcoming season, trust me i'm 'Mystic Gundo'. icon_wink.gif

emgergo I wasn't far off. icon_wink.gif Excellent season and report, things seem to be gelling together nicely their at NK Slovan. icon14.gif

Thanks. Is anyone running into the "super gray teams" problem?

It's a nightmare to arrange friendlies against greyed out teams - they are always on 100% fitness, run you ragged, and the fans are ****ed off because you lose to a supposedly inferior team icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by emgergo:

Thanks. Is anyone running into the "super gray teams" problem?

It's a nightmare to arrange friendlies against greyed out teams - they are always on 100% fitness, run you ragged, and the fans are ****ed off because you lose to a supposedly inferior team icon_razz.gif

Yeah I have come across this! Its a bit of a pain!

Krokum - Swedish 2nd division West Gotaland

My first day in charge I realize it's awfully quiet at Krokum. Just a chairman, two players and me. It takes a while to scramble together a backroom staff, and by the time the window closes I signed two players and loaned a great young defender, double figures in all the stats that matter.

reaction of my fans: how can you sign this guy, we're lucky we can send him back at the end of the season icon_eek.gif.

When the transfer window opens again I sign some more players and we play our first, and only, game without grays in the starting eleven.

By this time things are looking bleak with us sitting dead last, 9 points from a relegation playoff spot. Than suddenly things start to click, slowely we climb to the eleventh place.

With 12 points from 15 (last two games 4-0 and 4-0, with hattricks for my two strikers) we might just have a chance at avoiding relegation.

The last game of the season we play at home to already champions Lindome. We sit eleventh with 20 points, Skövde and Skärhamn sit in front of us both with 22 points. We win our game 1-0 with a controversial penalty, the other 2 lose and we survive our first season

final standings

Next season is going to be hard. We need more depth (only 11 players at the moment), and we're leaking money everywhere.

FC Molodechno, Belarusian First League 2009 (1st Season)

Overview.

Finances.

Board Confidence.

After a particularly pleasing start to the season whereby being unbeaten after four games, all be it mostly draws, I was all set for the team to be there or there abouts come the end of the season, how I was wrong. Although in the end we did finish a respectable 10th, although somehow I feel we could have challenged more.

Belarusian First League. Final Standings.

Our main downfall was the defence, which will need to be sured up for the next season. Although goalscoring did come quite well to the squad which was pleasing and I mean that in the sense I was surprised of how many we did score with the poor attacking options available.

But one player really did shine for the squad, Sergey Rusetskiy, although only being 20, he was by far the best player for the team throughout the season by being the most consistent.

FC Molodechno Stats.

Next season I will definately be looking for an improvement in the cup. Although the board didnt expect much, I was gutted to be sent out in the first round. But as I say theres always next season.

And I'm quite looking forward to next season to be fair, should be interesting to see how we build on last years 'success' and hopefully push for promotion.

freek_teek

Good luck with the Swedish save icon14.gif The situation you've found the club in reminds me how I started with IF Akropolis in my best FM07 sae (3 players - one ST with a finishing of 1 icon_rolleyes.gif, no staff). The save went on for 21 years, giving me a great time icon_biggrin.gif

---

NK Slovan

I forgot last year's lowlight. After going through two rounds in the cup, we were knocked out by our lower league feeders icon_mad.gif in the last 16 icon_redface.gif

Originally posted by freek_teek:

Krokum - Swedish 2nd division West Gotaland

My first day in charge I realize it's awfully quiet at Krokum. Just a chairman, two players and me. It takes a while to scramble together a backroom staff, and by the time the window closes I signed two players and loaned a great young defender, double figures in all the stats that matter.

reaction of my fans: how can you sign this guy, we're lucky we can send him back at the end of the season icon_eek.gif.

When the transfer window opens again I sign some more players and we play our first, and only, game without grays in the starting eleven.

By this time things are looking bleak with us sitting dead last, 9 points from a relegation playoff spot. Than suddenly things start to click, slowely we climb to the eleventh place.

With 12 points from 15 (last two games 4-0 and 4-0, with hattricks for my two strikers) we might just have a chance at avoiding relegation.

The last game of the season we play at home to already champions Lindome. We sit eleventh with 20 points, Skövde and Skärhamn sit in front of us both with 22 points. We win our game 1-0 with a controversial penalty, the other 2 lose and we survive our first season

final standings

Next season is going to be hard. We need more depth (only 11 players at the moment), and we're leaking money everywhere.

Superb report freek_teek. icon14.gif You know there is something strangely satisfying about avoiding the drop late on, something you don't get with promotions and the fact that you would of have had start again if you'd of been relegated makes it even more special. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

haha, i think it may have been the fact i couldn't pronounce any of my players names or the team name for that matter.

Plus I'm half Welsh so this could be fun.

I had the name problem too in Iceland, but decided to just nickname every player in my squad. Now with names like Harold, The Vase and Jonesy it all becomes so much clearer! I've found I've become a lot more in touch with these largely useless players.

Anyway good look at Taffs Wells. icon14.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

haha, i think it may have been the fact i couldn't pronounce any of my players names or the team name for that matter.

I had the name problem too in Iceland, but decided to just nickname every player in my squad. Now with names like Harold, The Vase and Jonesy it all becomes so much clearer! I've found I've become a lot more in touch with these largely useless players.

Anyway good look at Taffs Wells. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vase? Should I even ask? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

The Vase? Should I even ask? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, no not quite. Try pronouncing or remembering this name - Ingvi Hrafn Ingvason... icon_eek.gif

Ingvason = The Vase icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

The Vase? Should I even ask? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, no not quite. Try pronouncing or remembering this name - Ingvi Hrafn Ingvason... icon_eek.gif

Ingvason = The Vase icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality! icon14.gif Nicknames crack me up. icon_biggrin.gif

Slovenian second league went nuts.

After the first full round of matches, NK Mura (predicted 7th) is leading the table with a 9-0-0 record icon_eek.gif

We're sitting with 2-4-3 at 6th (just where predicted), but 2 losses were against Mura. They have a mere 12 points advantage at the top icon_biggrin.gif

The difference between the top tier teams and second division is shocking.

Lost at home to Gorica 0-4 in the cup QF. Shots: 2(0) - 18 (10). Ouch.

No wonder so far the recently relegated top team has always gone back up and no second division team was able to win a promotion playoff.

Gundo i'm in a real dilemma icon_confused.gif

When i start this challenge do i manage in Norway(like before) or do i go for Sweden?

The difficulty is do i want to see if i can get Burda again? If i manage in Sweden he'll be in the game, no doubt.

I've loaded up a game as Norway and he doesn't appear icon_frown.gif

So my dilemma is; do i try and find a new Burda or see if he's gonna be a star again?

I notice that in Dafuge's challenge that Superkyle (or So-and-so-Kyle as i prefer to call him icon_wink.gif) isn't up to much and i'm sure that my boy Patrik will return to the mantel of FM Legend icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

When i start this challenge do i manage in Norway(like before) or do i go for Sweden?

The difficulty is do i want to see if i can get Burda again? If i manage in Sweden he'll be in the game, no doubt.

So my dilemma is; do i try and find a new Burda or see if he's gonna be a star again?

I notice that in Dafuge's challenge that Superkyle (or So-and-so-Kyle as i prefer to call him icon_wink.gif) isn't up to much and i'm sure that my boy Patrik will return to the mantel of FM Legend icon_cool.gif

I think the problem is SI have reduced the amount of players in 'greyed out' teams significantly this year. Which not only means you get a smaller pool of non-league players in your chosen Nation but also an even smaller choice in others or neighboring Countries. So the chances of seeing Burda after loading up Norway are slim i'd say. icon_frown.gif

I've got a bit of time spare this morning, so i'll load-up FM a few times with Norway and see if I can get him to show.

Will report back with my findingS shortly...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

I think the problem is SI have reduced the amount of players in 'greyed out' teams significantly this year. Which not only means you get a smaller pool of non-league players in your chosen Nation but also an even smaller choice in others or neighboring Countries. So the chances of seeing Burda after loading up Norway are slim i'd say. icon_frown.gif

I've got a bit of time spare this morning, so i'll load-up FM a few times with Norway and see if I can get him to show.

Will report back with my findingS shortly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers mate icon14.gif

When do you anticipate starting? Are you waiting for the patch to come out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

Will report back with my findingS shortly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers mate icon14.gif

When do you anticipate starting? Are you waiting for the patch to come out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah waiting patiently for the patch before I start. I don't think it'll be that much longer before it's released.

I'm sure there is a Norwegian Burda lurking in Norway just waiting to be discovered... icon_cool.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge Table .13/11

(Nat) League Year Club Username Club & Nation Coeff. Achievements

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Bel) Second 2008/09 Lyra TSV Kingrooney - - -

(Bel) Second 2009/10 Patro Eisden DS - - -

(Bel) First 2008/09 Molodechno spider90 - - -

(Bel) Third 2008/09 Meldert Storzy - - -

(Bel) Third 2009/10 Meldert CoachFlu - - -

(Blr) First 2010 Molodechno Reverand&Makers - - -

(Czh) Second 2008/09 Bystrc happy slappy - - -

(Cro) Second 2008/09 Vrbovec Alurny - - -

(Fin) Second 2008 KajHa RockLobster - - -

(Fin) Second 2008 JBK Alurny - - -

(Ice) First 2008 KS/Leiftur argyle4ever - - -

(Ice) First 2009 Magni endtime - - -

(Ice) First 2008 Reynir Ste93 - - -

(Ice) First 2008 KF Fjarðabyggð westhamrob - - -

(Ice) First 2009 Hamar Bluenose_92 - - -

(Ice) First 2009 Reynir lucky326 - - -

(Ice) Premier 2010 Vloir iacovone - - -

(Ice) Premier 2010 Kari Jazza - - -

(N.I) Second 2008/09 Newbuildings XaW - - -

(N.I) Second 2008/09 Magherafelt SB johnnyquest409 - - -

(N.I) Second 2008/09 Clough Rangers mikedavd - - -

(N.I) Second 2008/09 Kilmore Rec aaberdeenn - - -

(Nor) Second 2008 Nest-Sotra IL Spurs1979 - - -

(Ser) First 2009/10 FK Zeleznicar Clarence Seedorf - - -

(Slo) Second 2009/10 NK Slovan emgergo - - -

(Svk) Second 2008/09 Stropkov Migwar - - -

(Swe) First 2010 Kalmar AIK FK briott - - -

(Swe) Second 2008 Eslöv MrDiCanio - - -

(Swe) Second 2008 Kaapo iseemonsters - - -

(Swe) Second 2009 Krokom freek_teek - - -

(Swi) First 2008/09 Martigny Sports konquest - - -

(Pol) Second 2008/09 Stal Rzeszow NeoAC - - -

(Tur) Second 2008/09 Keciörengücü Sazchu - - -

(Ukr) First 2008/09 Arsenal Billa MoongooseMcQueen - - -

(Wal) Premier 2008/09 Taffs Well 3Sixty - - - </pre>

I see there's a few playing in Sweden, so it's Norway then icon14.gif

The Vikings will rise and conquer Europe again, well we nearly did with Skjetten icon_wink.gif

Gundo do you have any idea how many clubs get promoted into the bottom tier of the Norwegian Leagues?

I'm doing some experiments at the moment to see what variety of teams are promoted. Early indications, there seem to be 3 new clubs promoted into each of the 4 groups in the Second Division, so that's a really good choice of clubs to pick from. icon_smile.gif

Skjetten are still their and where promoted once or twice so far, could it be a fairytale return to the Mighty Skjetten for cookie... icon_cool.gif

NK Slovan, mid-season update

It's gonna be one tough spring.

Standings are:

1. NK Mura, 14-1-0 (!!!), 43 pts

2. Bela Krajina, 8-3-4, 30-23, 27 pts

3. NK Slovan, 7-4-4, 25 pts

4. Triglav 6-5-4, 23 pts

The rest is well behind.

I think we can already present the automatic promotion spot to NK Mura, except if the end of the world comes sooner as the championship finish icon_biggrin.gif Being tipped for only 7th they stormed the league. Only draw came against Triglav.

Bela Krajina are at the same level as us. They are playing a strange 3-5-2 which is a tough nut to break.

We could be higher if only for the 4 lost points against newly promoted Izola. There is something in their uptempo game which definitely doesn't suit us.

Triglav has by far the most quality in their squad from the top 4. They seem to have internal problems an never really got going. If they sort out themselves, they'll be the most probable contenders for the promotion playoff spot.

The bottom half is much more balanced than last year, as now there are two decent newly promoted teams. Izola are at 7th, while Zavrc are occupying 9th spot, 2 points from safety.

Spring will be very interesting.

My key matches will be:

- Mura (A), Rd 20

- Triglav (H), Rd 21

- Bela Krajina (A), Rd 24

Back-to-back Mura and Triglav games will be tough. I don't like the fact that the Mura away game comes first as it might harm morale.

Vidir Gardi, 2010 (3rd Season), Icelandic Premier Division

League Table

League Graph

New Record icon_biggrin.gif

Finances

Club Info

A much improved season, unlike last year it wasn't a nailbiting end to the season. Largely due to the poor standard of Fylkir and Stjarnan we were safe from relegation with about 4 games to play. We have become much harder to beat and my young centre backs are beginning to mature into the potentially top class players I hoped they would. We still lack a class striker and after moving to a 4-4-2 formation this season, it has really shown with only 9 goals scored between my 4 strikers!

Upper League Cup didn't go well. For those that don't know it's a sort of pre season cup where there are two groups of 8 teams. Top 4 in each group qualify for the quarter finals, etc, etc.

Well this is how we did icon_mad.gif

Then there is the Icelandic Cup which we also flopped in.

So next season's aims are to continue progress in the league but more importantly go on a money spinning cup run.

Key Men (all nicknames)

Ellert

The Urn

and the new superstar - Hanson

Onto season 4. icon_cool.gif

Meldert, Belgium - December 13th 2009

Mid-season table

Media prediction: 10th

Board expectation: safe mid-table

With that in mind, being top of the table to go into the winter break is something I should only be pleased about. But we gave away some valuable points in the last few matches, which could have put us several points clear.

34 goals scored in 15 matches is certainly very good, but we drew four of our last five matches - three of them scoreless - despite being by far the dominant team. This one was the most frustrating of the four. The others were a touch less extreme, but still enough to curse at the screen and call the game a dirty rotten cheater.

Luckily the other teams at the top lost some points as well, and so it remains a tight affair. My defense has been absolutely spectacular so far though, and if we can keep that up we have a good chance of pulling this off.

At least we managed to sneak into first place on match day 10, so we already secured the playoff spot.

Four of the back five players are the same as last season, but the strengthened midfield plays an important part in our great defense as well (by simply being able to keep the ball in the team a lot, and spending a lot of time on the opposition's half).

In midfield/attack, only Matthew Bartholomew, my star Trini&Tobago striker - who was called up for the Gold Cup last May and since earned 11 caps - remained in the starting eleven. The other five are loan players, mostly from First Division teams.

The reliance on loan players has multiple benefits. Not only does it strengthen the team considerably (perhaps even a bit too much so - I didn't quite expect to get all those players). It also allows me to stay firmly under the wage budget limit, so my financial situation is improving - slowly but surely - each month.

That'll be helpful in the long run, because with a 2400 stadium and basic training and youth facilities, we'll need to do some major investing in coming years.

But promotion to the Second Division is the first objective, and I'll be disappointed if we don't manage to do that this season.

gundo

you can take me off the list for now. strokspor [or whatever they were called] were as bad as i expected. i finished dead last, relegated in march, and obviously sacked.

i'm now playing the same season as the other team i had on offer, puchev. total contrast. i'm approaching the midseason break and i'm in 3rd and looking pretty hot. the difference between the 2 sides in terms of quality of players i'm able to attract is incredible.

i doubt i'll be promoted in my first season, but its not impossible. i'm really just giving myself a feel for the league before i start properly when the official patch is released icon_smile.gif

Archived