Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

After reading through these threads over a week or so and realising that my system can't handle more than a couple of leagues I'm going to give this a bash.

I'm amazed at the success people are having with such small teams.

I went onto the FM07 'Frank' website which picks a random European small club to go, first nation that came up, which fit Gundo's criteria, was Greece.

League loaded, retired 'Holiday Man', created my profile with 'Automatic' reputation.

There are 2 Divisions in Greece, but some very big teams dominate the top division which will be a massive challenge to eventually conquer.

Only 2 jobs were available, went with Niki V. They have a 20,000 stadium which is the main reason for my choice.

I've never managed in Greece, the 2 non-EU player rule will prove an added challenge.

There are loads and loads of good South American players in Greek football but are all past their best, Rivaldo at AEK for example.

Some excellent updates on here lads, keep up the good work and I'll get an update done when I've got my staff, and transfers finished.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quacky - Nice, didn't realise the rules were different in the top division.

Looking forward to the challenge, although it will be tough.

Got a lot on at work at the moment, but need that fm distraction to get my through... icon_wink.gif

Gundo : I want to return to this challenge but it appears im no longer on the table after my long absence icon_frown.gif

Just so you know, im in my third season with TKP Torun in the Polish Second Division.

If its easier for you, I could repost links to screenshots of previous seasons / my starting profile just to show its all OK.

Originally posted by Supermas2:

Gundo : I want to return to this challenge but it appears im no longer on the table after my long absence icon_frown.gif

Just so you know, im in my third season with TKP Torun in the Polish Second Division.

If its easier for you, I could repost links to screenshots of previous seasons / my starting profile just to show its all OK.

There is no need to post screenshots again, I remember you. icon_smile.gif The reason you where not on the table is because I decided to freshen it up abit a while back and thus all entries pre Jan 08 where deleted.

Rest assured you'll be on the next table. icon14.gif

Since I am a graphic freak I want all the logos and kits for leagues I am playing. Well must say, I succeeded in that and even found the logos for the amateurleague (Northern Ireland). Every logo and kit except for, of course, Mosside FC. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have been looking for a couple of hours now but cant find that anything of Mosside, so I decided to make it myself. No problem there altho I cant find a real picture of the away kit and found two logos(!?). Anyone here who knows anything of Mosside and can help me with that..

Logo 1:

Mosside FC logo 1

Logo 2:

Mosside FC logo 2

Home kit is this -correct?:

Mosside FC home kit

Finally! The kits and logo for Mosside is finished icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

For those who are interested you can download the kit + logo. I saw in the update list that Jimbokav1971 plays with Mosside. So, Jimbo if your interested please use it! I'd be honoured.

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD:

pls click here

HOW TO INSTALL:

Make a folder, if it doesn't already isnt there, called "pictures" in the "graphics" folder of football manager..

There throw both folders (what is inside the mosside.zip) in there. So if you done it right you should have:

..\football manager 2008\graphics\pictures\club

&

..\football manager 2008\graphics\pictures\kits

Just reload your skin and voila icon_smile.gif

---

For people who just want to see the result (jpg):

logo

home kit

away kit

Originally posted by tomo1231992:

Woo first post in the forum icon_cool.gif

I'm thinking of starting this when I get home from school, dunno who to start with though icon_smile.gif

Just a question about the database size, I have the Huge database, will I be aloud to use that?

You have to selct one of the options that came with the Original FM08 I'm affraid, so choose either Small, Medium or Large db. It's best this way, it keeps everyone working off a similar starting point - no confusion.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

There is no need to post screenshots again, I remember you. icon_smile.gif The reason you where not on the table is because I decided to freshen it up abit a while back and thus all entries pre Jan 08 where deleted.

Rest assured you'll be on the next table. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Cheers.

Just a mini-update on how its gone since I've been back... (15 games in)

After a little bit of a strong run up to 4th in the league, we've slipped down to 6th, and are really going to struggle to challenge for promotion to the First Division unless we can sort out our home record!

Originally posted by foost:

For those who are interested you can download the kit + logo. I saw in the update list that Jimbokav1971 plays with Mosside. So, Jimbo if your interested please use it! I'd be honoured.

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD:

pls click here

HOW TO INSTALL:

Make a folder, if it doesn't already isnt there, called "pictures" in the "graphics" folder of football manager..

There throw both folders (what is inside the mosside.zip) in there. So if you done it right you should have:

&

---

logo

home kit

away kit

Thanks, will be applying this later today. I'm playing this challenge with Mosside (although I forgot the screenshots of my profile so won't be submitting achievements for inclusion on the table) as a break from the Dafuge challenge. When you spend 5 hours getting from the 19th of June to your first friendly because you're searching for players, offering trials etc. its time for a break icon_cool.gif

Now it only takes an hour to do that icon_smile.gif

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD:

pls click here

HOW TO INSTALL:

&

---

logo

home kit

away kit

Is it really that simple to create your own logos and kits?

Playing as Bex in Switzerland and struggling to find anything already created

@kccircle:

Well it isnt that simple, but it def. isnt hard to do.. @ sortitoutsi.net you can download a default template for the shirt. You can change a lot of things in there. But you need photoshop, and need to know how photoshop works icon_smile.gif

Really enjoying the Greek 2nd Div with Niki V.

Loads of South American and Eastern European players on loan in the first division that I've been scouting for the future.

Predicted to be relegated, odds of 81.00 to win the league at the start of the season.

Was sitting mid table up until about 10 games to go in the season, changed how I was doing my team talks and now I'm sitting 6th pushing for a promotion place! Squad is poor but has depth.

Media now talking about me as an outsider for promotion, don't think it will happen this season but next is a real option!!!

Will send in end of season summary.

Gundo

It's the time of year where I tend to pick up FM again, so I've started again on this (having lost my Tolmin save).

Still in Slovenia, this time with Sencur, who play in a lovely shade of yellow. Same manager details as before.

No idea how much time I'll get to play, with a baby, a pregnant mrs, a full time job and my own business to run, but hopefully I'll get a few updates in before FM09 comes out...

minisav No problem, I'll look forward to reading your EOS update. icon14.gif

spotg Welcome back and good luck in Slovenia. I guess the of Slovenia was just too much heh? icon_biggrin.gif I'm the same, the second time I started this it had to be Norway again.

Best of luck max1994. icon14.gif

spotg Welcome back and good luck in Slovenia. I guess the *pull of Slovenia was just too much heh? icon_biggrin.gif I'm the same, the second time I started this it had to be Norway again.

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD:

pls click here

HOW TO INSTALL:

&

---

logo

home kit

away kit

Foost. I would LOVE to download the logo and kit but I can't work out how to do it despipte your pretty specific instructions.

Any chance that you could rum me up a step by step "idiots guide" for idiots like me icon_redface.gif.

Pretty please.

Jimbo it'll be the best thing you ever do regarding FM, It makes the game look much better imo. The only problem is, you kind of get addicted and keep adding graphics after graphics. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Thought you didn't do graphics Jim?

aaberdeenn.

It never really interested me before, but then this year at the beginning I tried to download some stuff in the dafuge thread ,and couldn't get it to work. The instructions were ok and everyone else did it ok and I felt a little stupid so just kept quiet.

Now it seems rude not to give it a go after Foost has gone to so much trouble. Also, it looks more like a rugby shirt than a footy shirtm (and is made by Canterbury), so that's appealing too.

Gundo. Nah. I can't see me getting addicted to graphics, (but you never know). You must know how to do this easily. You could probably run me up an "idiots guide".

Gundo. Nah. I can't see me getting addicted to graphics, (but you never know). You must know how to do this easily. You could probably run me up an "idiots guide".

Okies I will try an idiots guide as it took me so long the first time, had to have it knocked in.

Go into My Documents, then open the folder called Sports Interactive (if there isn't one create it) then into a folder called Football Manager 2008 (If it is not there make it) Then create a folder called graphics. open this folder and make another one called (well really anything you like...) though Foost suggested pictures. Then unzip all the files from the download and copy them across to the folder you just created. Now once you have done this, open up Football Manager and go to the Preferences tab. Now once in here go to Display and sound and tick the "always reload on confirm button" and untick the "Use skin cache" button. Now hit confirm. This should load it up. Then go back into preferences and untick "reload" button and retick "Cache" button, and now you should be good to go.

PS I tried my best.

It's quite simply really Jimbo. It's basically what Des Tiny has said, however I thought I'd post a screenshot of how I organize my Graphical stuff.

Layout.

If you set it out clearly and nice and simple like the above screenie then it's just a case of downloading your graphics and then extracting it to your relevant folder.

For the logo folder I have two more folders in their (just to keep things organized) which are club and competition folders.

Then once your downloaded content is in the correct folder, just do the tick process in Prefferences mentioned by Des Tiny above.

And then Bob's your uncle! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

spotg Welcome back and good luck in Slovenia. I guess the *pull of Slovenia was just too much heh? icon_biggrin.gif I'm the same, the second time I started this it had to be Norway again.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks icon14.gif

It does seem to help that I know my way around here, although most of the players seem to start with totally randomised stats, so I don't have any sort of advantage!

A pleasing start to things nonetheless

@ Jimbokav1971:

Exactly what Des Tiny said. Most important thing is that you dont forget to tick the a;ways reload on confirm button in FM - Preferences/display & sound.

If it still doesnt work, pls email me and i will tell you step for step icon_smile.gif

(joost@joostnijhof.com)

Funny ****, played my first (official) games with a new tactic and it seems that it is going to work...

1st game vs Tobermore Utd - 0-4 loss - ILC grp 4

2nd game vs Banbridge - 1-2 loss - ILC grp 4

3rd game vs Bangor - 3-2 win - Antrim Trophy 2nd round.

Very happy with that last result since Bangor is playing in the first division.

Jimbo it'll be the best thing you ever do regarding FM, It makes the game look much better imo. The only problem is, you kind of get addicted and keep adding graphics after graphics. icon_biggrin.gif

i agree 100%. it comes to something when you're downloading the kits for the San Marino Premier League..... icon_wink.gif which of course i have done.

i just find that kits and logos makes it look a little better.

would it be possible for someone to point me in the direction off a tatic that tightens up the defence.

thnx in advance

ps would it be possible if i uploaded my save game for someone to create a tatic for me as i am new to this game

and im rubbish at creating tatics cheers icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by max1994:

would it be possible for someone to point me in the direction off a tatic that tightens up the defence.

thnx in advance

ps would it be possible if i uploaded my save game for someone to create a tatic for me as i am new to this game

and im rubbish at creating tatics cheers icon_wink.gif

i'd recommend popping over the tactics forum and having a look in there. there are plenty to choose from and many can be downloaded and dropped into the game.

TKP Torun - Polish Second Division - End of Season Review 2010/11

Just a recap, because its been a while, of my first 2 seasons at TKP Torun, previous to this.

2008/2009 - 8th place in Second Division (53 points)

2009/2010 - 5th place in Second Division (55 points)

Well, after the first two seasons I had, the aim was this time to gun for promotion. To do that I knew I needed to add further quality to the ranks. I made 6 free signings, mainly from First Division clubs. 4 of these signings went on to become permanant fixtures in the side, including Szymon Solecki who went on to become runner up in the Second Division Under 21 player of the Season and Daniel Jezierski, a left winger, who managed to contribute a fantastic 14 assists in 31 games.

So to the season... a slow start was made, particularly at home, where I saw us frustratingly throw away leads to draws late on in games - winning only 1 of our opening 4 home games. The slow start to the season saw us sitting down in 11th place after 8 games and we knew we needed better results to come. They did start to come, and we begin our climb up the table. In the run up to the winter break we managed to hover around 5th-7th, and after a 6 game unbeaten streak, we went up to 4th, but going into the winter break, on the back of two defeats, we were 6th.

The break allowed striker Piotr Kobierecki to recover from a torn hamstring (4 month injury), and so we only really lost him for around 4 games in this period.

Our results after the break were better, and we stayed in 5th for quite a while, until the 27th game in fact, when, on the back of an incredible 3-2 win away at Lechia Gdansk (their only non-victory at home all season), we went up to 3rd in the table - a playoff place for the first time. However, a couple of poor results cost us again and we slid to 5th.

Our last 5 games would prove decisive. After three wins and one draw, going into the last game of the season we sat in 3rd place. 4th placed Tur Turek were 2 points behind us, and so they had to win to catch us. We knew a win would secure a playoff place, but a draw combined with a Tur Turek win would see them leapfrog us, because they had a better head to head record against us.

Looking at the fixtures it would be tough. Tur Turek hosted Znicz Pruszcow, an almost certain 3 points, while we went away to second placed Widzew.

Imagine my delight at the result we managed to produce!

As a result of that, the fact that Tur Turek beat Znicz Pruszcow was irrelevent, as we secured 3rd place in the league, and a playoff game with 14th place in the First Division.

It was Groclin who we would face in the playoffs, with the first leg being away.

I was disappointed in the end with Groclin 2 - 3 TKP Torun after leading the game.

However, we knew the three away goals could put us in good stead, and despite our poor home record this season, I was optimistic we could win at home. To my horror, we conceded sloppily after 5 minutes, but equalised on 10. We again went behind on 32, but just before half time Kobierecki put us level. I tried my best to encourage my players, and despite a bright start in the second half, we went behind again to an Ivanovski goal. Our away goals advantage had gone, and another goal for Groclin would effectively end the tie. On 71 minutes, Kobierecki burst into the box and rifled home a shot. 3-3. We hung on for dear life, i pulled my tactics to defensive, upped the time wasting, and Groclin went 4-2-4. We weathered a huge storm, and finally it finished TKP Torun 3 - 3 Groclin.

And so TKP Torun have been promoted to the First Division. I really think my first team is capable of survival in this league, but I will be looking to strengthen in some way during summer, although it is proving to be difficult finding better players who actually want to come to the club.

I'm also hoping that promotion will sort out my dire financial situation, as I am 551k in the red, and losing money constantly.

So season summary:

Second Division - 3rd place (Promoted)

Polish Cup - 2nd round (2-4 vs Lech)

Top Scorers - Misiura and Kobierecki - 28 each

FC Bex Season Update - 2008/09

This was my first playable season update with FC Bex, a team I hadn't heard of prior to starting the game.

Initial team was full of players who according to my new Ass Man were 1 star at best.

After nailing a parent club in the Swiss Premier League (Sion) I managed to loan a couple of decent players (for my level)

My aim was to avoid relegation and on that basis I went for a 4141 formation with farrows on all the the midfield 4. It seemed to work as I secured a top 10 position at the end of the season.

Grasshoppers of Zurich were relegated in the Hol Man season and they pretty much dominated and finished unbeaten.

My season saw FC Bex fluctuate between 7th and 10th. I'd like to say I had a player of the season but unfortunately he wasn't mine and has disappeared back to Sion.

Finances were always a struggle and without a mid-table finish I am sure I'd have been sacked. Luckily for me the £350k end of season bonus put me back into the black. My whole reserve team are on £140pw and were impossible to offload. Thankfully they are all now out of contract and wont be replaced. Thinking of dropping the reserve team this year in an effort to save cash.

Additionally, I managed to put into the game my first logo. It is pants to say the least but for a first effort I was extremely pleased. I cannot even find an image of FC Bex to find a kit to slot in, even Wiki has the SI Games default colours!

League Table

My 3 year aim is to reach the higher division. Next season I would like to finish in the top 6 but finding top 6 players who want to play a season with FC Bex is not proving easy

Best XI

Archived