Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meldert, Belgium - April 4th 2029

Champions League Quarter Final, leg 1:

After scraping past Milan, we face Chelsea in the Quarters. Another tough opponent, but that's to be expected at this stage.

Chelsea only won the Champions League twice in the last 20 years, and they last reached the Final in 2024. They always made it to at least the Quarter Finals since though.

Our last encounters with Chelsea were in the group stage in 2026/27, a 3-3 away and 3-4 loss at home. Based on that, I was hoping we could at least put up a brave fight.

We started with the trip to Stamford, and getting an away goal would be vital, I figured.

Chelsea - Meldert: 2-2

Grrr. "Meldert so close to upset," the news item said. Couldn't agree more.

A very even match, they narrowly had the edge in the first half, we narrowly had the second half, and looked like we were gonna get away with a 2-1 away win. Until they got a friggin' penalty deep into injury time. Harsh decision, the commentator said, and I had the chance to complain about it after the match, but didn't - I know better than that. icon_smile.gif

2-2 is a fair result though, but so frustrating to give it away like that. Still, a result that keeps our chances very much alive.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

1000 Club Goals

It's done. I can now go to bed. icon_smile.gif

Full updates etc to come soon.

what a beautiful thing to see in a morning!! icon_biggrin.gif

'White Pele' has done it!! but why stop at 1000... maybe he can make 1100??? icon_eek.gif

a new legend is born... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why go for 1100 when you can aim for 1281 and beat the great man himself?

Probably a bit too far for old-man Wallace.

Brilliant stuff NepentheZ, delighted to see my prediction that he would fall just short to be completely and utterly wrong icon_biggrin.gif

Brief update as I near the end of the 2015 season with Amur.

We've failed to retain the title, that's going to either CSKA or Spartak, who both, with about 5 games left of the season, are still unbeaten.

We're currently struggling in 6th place, and board are grumbling about our perfomance. Hopefully I'll dodge the sack and can turn it around next season.

Our european adventures didn't last long. Lost 5-3 on aggregate to Everton in the CL 3rd Qual round, and then 5-0 on aggregate to Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup 1st round.

We were unseeded for both of those, and as champions of Russia, I'm not sure we should have been.

On a plus note, finances are looking peachey and we're well within our wage budget.

It is fair to say that Paul Wallace has firmly joined Super Kyle and Patrik Burda in the challenges hall of fame.

I would like to have Stian Ringstad in there as well, but his scoring is well eclipsed by Paul icon_frown.gif

Nep - I was wondering how many games it took him to reach the milestone? How many were European goals?

Originally posted by cookie15:

It is fair to say that Paul Wallace has firmly joined Super Kyle and Patrik Burda in the challenges hall of fame.

I would like to have Stian Ringstad in there as well, but his scoring is well eclipsed by Paul icon_frown.gif

Nep - I was wondering how many games it took him to reach the milestone? How many were European goals?

I'll go through his stats shortly, and give a full breakdown of where everything came from icon14.gif

Thanks for the kudos guys.

P.S - after he scored the goal he was "In need of a long rest" so I sent him on a 4 week holiday. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

I'll go through his stats shortly, and give a full breakdown of where everything came from icon14.gif

Thanks for the kudos guys.

P.S - after he scored the goal he was "In need of a long rest" so I sent him on a 4 week holiday. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a well deserved break too!!

Cookie If you have a go with this challenge on FM09 I'm afraid I have some bad news; Skjetten where promoted from the Norwegian non-league in the 2007 season so you wouldn't be able go them for the third successive version. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Brief update as I near the end of the 2015 season with Amur.

We've failed to retain the title, that's going to either CSKA or Spartak, who both, with about 5 games left of the season, are still unbeaten.

We're currently struggling in 6th place, and board are grumbling about our perfomance. Hopefully I'll dodge the sack and can turn it around next season.

Our european adventures didn't last long. Lost 5-3 on aggregate to Everton in the CL 3rd Qual round, and then 5-0 on aggregate to Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup 1st round.

We were unseeded for both of those, and as champions of Russia, I'm not sure we should have been.

On a plus note, finances are looking peachey and we're well within our wage budget.

Sounds like a quite competitive league over their in Russia. I'm sure you'll bounce straight back and reclaim the title next season. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

Cookie If you have a go with this challenge on FM09 I'm afraid I have some bad news; Skjetten where promoted from the Norwegian non-league in the 2007 season so you wouldn't be able go them for the third successive version. icon_frown.gif

Nooooo, i don't believe it icon_frown.gif

I'll pick another Norwegian team in 09, hope Skjetten don't consider me a traitor icon_rolleyes.gif

They must have heard of my success in your challenge and it spurred them on to promotion. Apparently they've bought Stian Ringstad and Patrik Burda and they will be leading the strikeforce icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Nooooo, i don't believe it icon_frown.gif

I'll pick another Norwegian team in 09, hope Skjetten don't consider me a traitor icon_rolleyes.gif

They must have heard of my success in your challenge and it spurred them on to promotion. Apparently they've bought Stian Ringstad and Patrik Burda and they will be leading the strikeforce icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe. icon_biggrin.gif

Meldert, Belgium - April 10th 2029

Champions League Quarter Final, leg 2:

-Leg 1 result: Chelsea - Meldert: 2-2

-My main concern before the second leg: we clinched the league title three days earlier. Last year that resulted in a terrible cup match against Club Brugge. I really needed the team to be sharp against Chelsea.

Meldert - Chelsea: 4-1

Booyah!

Much closer than the score suggests though. My fear was justified, and we were absolutely nowhere in the first half. Chelsea waltzed over us. 6(1) vs 16(10) shots, or something like that. Only a superb performance by my goalkeeper kept us in the match. 0-1 was an acceptable score at that point, it could have been long decided.

We started the second half a bit better, but since we still weren't getting much done up front, I made what would turn out to be an inspired substitution, and brought on Inogo Alarcon.

Alarcon had scored 4 goals in the league match three days earlier. It took him about two minutes to find the net against Chelsea. 1-1, and we were leading on away goals.

To my surprise, Chelsea couldn't find an immediate reply, so we kept going. Not much later, we scored three more goals in the space of an overwhelmingly mad 4 minutes, and the match was decided. A great hattrick from the bench for Alarcon, who takes the lead in the CL topscorer charts.

So we're into the Semi Finals!

Four teams left. We'll be facing either Liverpool, Man Utd or Valencia.

Valencia kicked our asses twice in the group stage, so I'd prefer one of the English teams next. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

Meldert, Belgium - April 10th 2029

Champions League Quarter Final, leg 2:

-Leg 1 result: Chelsea - Meldert: 2-2

-My main concern before the second leg: we clinched the league title three days earlier. Last year that resulted in a terrible cup match against Club Brugge. I really needed the team to be sharp against Chelsea.

Meldert - Chelsea: 4-1

Booyah!

Much closer than the score suggests though. My fear was justified, and we were absolutely nowhere in the first half. Chelsea waltzed over us. 6(1) vs 16(10) shots, or something like that. Only a superb performance by my goalkeeper kept us in the match. 0-1 was an acceptable score at that point, it could have been long decided.

We started the second half a bit better, but since we still weren't getting much done up front, I made what would turn out to be an inspired substitution, and brought on Inogo Alarcon.

Alarcon had scored 4 goals in the league match three days earlier. It took him about two minutes to find the net against Chelsea. 1-1, and we were leading on away goals.

To my surprise, Chelsea couldn't find an immediate reply, so we kept going. Not much later, we scored three more goals in the space of an overwhelmingly mad 4 minutes, and the match was decided. A great hattrick from the bench for Alarcon, who takes the lead in the CL topscorer charts.

So we're into the Semi Finals!

Four teams left. We'll be facing either Liverpool, Man Utd or Valencia.

Valencia kicked our asses twice in the group stage, so I'd prefer one of the English teams next. icon_smile.gif

congrats!! icon14.gif fingers crossed. just hope it you don't end up doing a iacovone... icon_wink.gif

Paul Wallace - Goal/Game breakdown

League

Games - 446

Goals - 568

Assists - 186

MotM - 149

Av. Rating (20 seasons) - 8.07

Domestic Cup's

Games - 322

Goals - 395

Assists - 131

MotM - 103

Europe

Games - 70

Goals - 37

Assists - 19

MotM - 9

Career Totals

Games - 838

Goals - 1000

Assists - 336

MotM - 261

Yellow Cards - 36

Red Cards - 1

Screen shots of Wallace's career will be put up when he retires. icon14.gif

15:40 on Friday the 22nd February and the Norwegian Media have gathered at the Randaberg Stadion for the announcement of who will be the new Randaberg IL Manager.

Gundo Profile.

Here we go again...

A few things of note: Chairman wants out asap and they want us to win the Second divisjon title this season. Game on.

15:40 on Friday the 22nd February and the Norwegian Media have gathered at the Randaberg Stadion for the announcement of who will be the new Randaberg IL Manager.

Gundo Profile.

Here we go again...

A few things of note: Chairman wants out asap and they want us to win the Second divisjon title this season. Game on.

icon_eek.gif I guess you're starting again icon_cool.gif

Gundo Profile.

Here we go again...

good luck Gundo. pressure's on a bit this time then!!

2009-2010 Levski 2006 in Bulgarian "A" Group

The team finished in 6th in the league, and it could have been higher! While we won the Bulgarian cup 3-1 against Litex. It seems that most teams preferred to play backup players in the cup and we capitalized on that by playing our first squad because the prize money was needed desperately.

As an added bonus, we are also in Europe next year, and hopefully we can make some good money there to put us back in the green (as opposed to being about 100k in the red).

Finally the player of the year in Bulgaria was non other than our Ukranian striker Volodimyr Lysenko, who had 14 goals in the league and 5 goals in 5 games in the cup, topped with 8 MoM. There were other key players involved as well, but I won't go into detail because there are no screenshots to do them justice.

After this great season, our chairman decided to step-in and accept two 250k bids for our best centre midfielder and our backup striker who is 19 years old and has recieved caps for the U19 team, so he was one for the future, but money always comes first for these damn chairmans.

Meldert, Belgium - April 25th 2029

Champions League Semi Final, leg 1:

We were drawn against Man Utd, leaving Liverpool to deal with Valencia.

I was pleased with that. We had lost twice to Valencia in the group stage, and Liverpool defeated us in the First Knockout Round last year. At least we hadn't faced Man Utd in ten years.

And Man Utd's record in Europe isn't hugely impressive. They last made it to the Champions League Final in 2010, and their record has been a bit sketchy since. They did win the UEFA Cup a few times, but still - on paper we had a better chance than against the other two teams.

Meldert - Man Utd: 4-3

Another one of those. Matches with loads of goals, I mean. European football is rarely boring in FM. icon_smile.gif

We had a smashing start, scoring as easily as if we were facing a relegation team. We really struggled in the second half though, and ManU managed ro come back to within a goal.

4-3 is still a good result... but we'll need to play well at Old Trafford. I'm far from confident.

Season 2011/12 Review - Sirocco Works in the Northern Irish Premier League

With a dominant league win in Division 1 last season, I thought I could challenge at the top this year.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Champions \o/

I thought I could challenge, but really wasn't expecting this. My team just looked unstoppable at times.

CIS Insurance League Cup - lost 2-1 on penalties (after a 4-4 draw) to Portadown in the semis.

County Antrim Shield - lost 4-1 to Glentoran in the quarter finals.

Irish Cup - lost 3-1 on penalties (after a 2-2 draw) to Linfield in the 5th round.

Squad

Transfers

Couldn't ask much more from my squad, with an average age of just 20 they should be able to dominate this league for years. I seem to be finding it really easy to find unattached players who are far better than what I already have, I just hope this continues. There was a moment of madness from my chairman who accepted a bid of £700k and £100k for one of my key players, you can guess who he moved to. Bit of a shame really, £700k would have set me up for the next couple of years, £100k just cleared a bit of my debt.

Star Player

Not quite the form of last season, but still a pretty decent return.

Meldert, Belgium - May 2nd 2029

Champions League Semi Final, leg 2:

(Leg 1 result: Meldert - Man Utd: 4-3)

Man Utd - Meldert: 3-3

Holy cow, we just keep getting through by the skin of our teeth!

Our team captain had kept us in the match with two great goals, but we got nailed by an arguably offside goal in the 87th minute.

It was kinda deserved for ManU, and for the umpteenth time since the group stage, I thought it was over.

But an injury time close range header decided otherwise. Another brilliant air-punch moment!

It feels a bit weird, getting all the way to the Final this year. It's only our second time into the knockout rounds, first time past the First Knockout Round. I feel like we have no business getting anywhere past the Quarters.

But here we are. We'll be playing the Champions League Final, against Liverpool.

I just need our luck to continue for one more match. icon_smile.gif

FK Spartak Subotica 18th October 2014

Currently lying in the relegation playoffs (14th) and third in Champions league group I have come to realise that life sucks. Without fail this $‰*!ing team performs well one season and then kicks you in the teeth with a myriad of way of failing. Just check out the red card in that game against Red Star lying in first place in the league and conceding two late long range, goal of the month candidates. I hate this game.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

Meldert, Belgium - May 2nd 2029

Champions League Semi Final, leg 2:

(Leg 1 result: Meldert - Man Utd: 4-3)

Man Utd - Meldert: 3-3

Holy cow, we just keep getting through by the skin of our teeth!

Our team captain had kept us in the match with two great goals, but we got nailed by an arguably offside goal in the 87th minute.

It was kinda deserved for ManU, and for the umpteenth time since the group stage, I thought it was over.

But an injury time close range header decided otherwise. Another brilliant air-punch moment!

It feels a bit weird, getting all the way to the Final this year. It's only our second time into the knockout rounds, first time past the First Knockout Round. I feel like we have no business getting anywhere past the Quarters.

But here we are. We'll be playing the Champions League Final, against Liverpool.

I just need our luck to continue for one more match. icon_smile.gif

fingers crossed for you Coachflu... fairytales can happen.

in a move that shocked the world of football, well maybe caused a little ripple, Richard Lipscombe, the 'legendary' icon_wink.gif manager was today unveiled as the new manager of KFUM Oslo.

despite never having appeared to have any desire to manage in Norway, the lure of the weather proved too strong.

Information

as you can see, the team isn't too bad for the league, and have decent facilities. the club value is also quite high! icon_eek.gif

the squad however, is small so a lot of re-building needs to be done.

Squad

Game on. icon_biggrin.gif

Meldert, Belgium - May 23rd 2029

Alrighty then. The season's pretty much over. We've won league and cup. Probably our best season ever. Full season report will be up later (perhaps tomorrow). But there's one more task left.

The Champions League Final.

The venue: Slaski, Chorzow

(which, after some quick research, turns out to be the Polish national stadium, capacity 47k-ish.)

The opponents: Liverpool.

After a decade of "not quite," Liverpool won the Champions League again last year and will undoubtedly look to win it again, to re-establish a period of dominance such as they had in 2014-17.

Last year, Meldert was their first hurdle after the group stage, and they eased past it. This year, both teams took a different route and meet again in the Final. I suppose, with a bit of imagination, we could call this "time for payback." But to be honest, that's overblowing it a bit. It's a Champions League Final. Both teams want to win it, no matter who the opponent is. Payback be damned.

Liverpool have been impressive in the Champions League.

-Finished top of their group in front of Marseille, Espanyol and HSV.

-Went past Sporting CP - no small team in Europe - in the First Knockout Round, demolishing them 5-1 in Portugal.

-Took care of Bayern in the Quarters, 4-3 agg.

-And eased past a strong looking Valencia in the Semis (5-2 agg.)

They had a few draws along the way, but are undefeated so far.

We, in comparison, had several narrow escapes.

Two losses against Valencia in the group stage. Through on away goals after extra time against AC Milan. An injury time winning goal against Man Utd.

So it's no surprise that the bookies made Liverpool the clear favorites.

Like the previous three rounds, I'm far from confident that we can pull this off. One thing that didn't do my confidence any good: I had a look at Liverpool's strikers. Ouch.

Brice Moret: A new signing at Liverpool, bought from Sporting CP for 52M€ last summer. Golden Boot and Best Player of the 2026 World Cup. Came second in last year's Champions League Golden Boot competition, behind:

Jari Danielsson: Topscorer in Euro'28 and in last year's Champions League. Also scored a hat-trick in the Club World Championship Final last December.

With both of these guys at their peak, and my defense clearly the weak spot of the team, I'm a bit scared.

It's one match though. Winner takes all. Anything can happen...

Liverpool – Meldert (Champions League Final) (first half)

Line-ups

5’ – our right winger (Noblet) breaks out along the line, whips a great cross into the box, the left winger (Yanguas) connects with it near the far post, but the Liverpool goalie makes a great save.

7’ – optimistic Liverpool header (Moret) on a harmless looking long ball, but Pavlovic has to tip it over the bar.

8’ – corner kick Liverpool, insufficiently cleared, and it gets crossed into the box a second time. Good header (Moret again), good save needed.

23’ – Harmless Liverpool long shot (Danielsson), wide.

Slow-ish match so far, compared to some of the previous European matches we played, but can’t say I mind much.

25’ – corner kick Liverpool, headed over

27’ – Yanguas intercepts a pass on the left and breaks out on the counter. Good cross, but headed into corner. Our first vague sign of being dangerous since the fifth minute.

27’ – Corner kick. Swings harmlessly across everyone, but… Foul! Somewhere, somehow, too crowded to see what happened. In any case, penalty Meldert!

28’ – Up steps Alexandru, my left back. Who what where, why him? He never takes penalties!

28’ – Over the bar!! Mothaf#!§à&% Aaaargh!

33’ – Liverpool with a few minutes of pressure. 30-yarder blocked into corner.

37’ – great chance Liverpool, Moret just inside the area with a clear shot, but my right back (Menendez) makes a great last ditch tackle to block the shot clear

42’ – in the aftermath of a corner, my midfielder captain tries a long shot, blocked. He gets to try again, this time with more space in front of him – great save by the Liverpool goalie.

45’ – Liverpool throw the ball into the box. Our right back controls the ball poorly, thereby giving a perfect short pass to a free Liverpool striker (Danielsson). Great close range save needed by our goalie, ball scrambled away. Whew.

45’+ - the first actual shot at goal by one of our strikers. Alarçon from 25 yards,just wide.

HT: 0-0

Halftime stats.

This is a tough match for us. Liverpool are clearly the better team.

Our defense is holding out reasonably well for a change, but our strikers are absolutely nowhere. We had a few chances over the wings, but Liverpool controls the center of midfield.

Despite that, we had a marvelous opportunity to take the lead – the penalty – but missed it. I fear that may turn out to be costly.

Knockbreda Champs League Update

Qual. Rd 1 - I breezed through, winning 7-2 on aggregate.

The 2nd Rd however, was a tad more difficult. And I genuinely thought I was out after the first leg.

Stabaek 5-1 Knockbreda - Not great. I was gutted. My dream was over for yet another year.

until....

Knockbreda 4 - 0 Stabaek - A fantastic result.! I win on away goals, and I couldn't be happier. only 1-0 at Half-Time, and I was still under the impression it was curtains. A Paul Wallace brace, and then an 88th minute clincher from Michael Taylor proved me wrong. icon_smile.gif

Then.... the big one.

Qual Rd. 3 - The Draw.

Knockbreda v JUVENTUS

I am doomed, surely. Home leg was first, and what happened, was pure magic.

Knockbreda 4 - 2 Juventus

icon_eek.gif

By far my biggest ever result in 21 years of managing Knockbreda.

Just hope those late away goals don't come back to haunt me.!

Liverpool – Meldert (Champions League Final) (second half part 1)

Despite the 0-0, which isn’t a terrible score at this stage, I decide to ignore my assistant’s advice to tell the team to do this for the fans. Instead, I fake disappointment. Well, actually, I didn’t have to fake too hard, we are playing a touch poorly.

46’ – one of our DCs is still half asleep and reacts slowly, giving Liverpool striker Danielsson too much room for a clear 20-yard shot. Superb save by Pavlovic.

46- 0-1!!!! After that save, the ball gets cleared hastily, and we actually manage to launch a good counter attack for a change. The ball reaches midfielder Peter Slot, who finds the space straight through the center, and tucks it into the corner from the edge of the area!

Holy cow, we’re actually in the lead!

50’ – Our right back (Menendez) gets in a clear shot from 20 yards, straight at the keeper. Should have done better, but still, we’re near the Liverpool goal again. Better that than the other way around.

51’ – a dangerous two-footed foul by a Liverpool defender. I get my hopes up for a second, but he only gets a yellow. Damn. icon_smile.gif

52’ – we get caught in possession, and Liverpool break out in a way that makes me go “oh no!†Danielsson with a good shot, but our goalie makes yet another great save. Rebound scrambled into touch.

56’ – minor Liverpool pressure, with two half-chances for Danielsson – ball harmlessly headed over, and long shot straight to keeper.

57’ – and a third chance for that Danielsson dude, this time a good one. Shot from edge of area, good save needed.

59’ – indirect free kick Liverpool, good header (Moret), good save.

Our goalie (Pavlovic) is having another big match, but this can’t go on forever.

60’ – corner kick Liverpool, shot blocked

I feel like I should do something, but am afraid to change too much. So I do a straight right winger swap, bringing on a young South African kid with pace, hoping for youthful enthusiasm.

61’ – 1-1! Blah, could feel it coming a mile away. Danielsson scored, a 25-yarder that curled unstoppably into the goal.

If they continue on their momentum now, we’re in trouble…

Archived