Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Originally posted by niresearch:

its currently going under a re-structuring in real life which is properly tidied by the time the 2009 season starts hence why there is so many play-offs for prom/relegation.

best start in 2008 season rather than 2007.

Do I still need to do a holiday year by doing that?

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, unless you want to take Sporting Fingal, who are the new club to the league in 2008 replacing Kilkenny City.

It was seeing them in there that got me really confused. I think I'll just go with them to save having to holiday.

Thank you very much for the help, much appreciated. icon14.gif

Going to give this challenge a rest for a few days... (probably not. icon_smile.gif - knowing me it'll be a few hours.)

I'm going to load up every league and every division and start unemployed. You can follow my career in the career thread should you be interested. I will play this again soon. I just need a bit of a break from it.!

Guest niresearch

dafuge, as requested your brand spanking new sirocco kits for the game... not that is actually their away kit, made by prostar and no sponsor - ahh the joys of the lower league football!

Kit Request

Right a couple of things:

Among my many starts *ahem* I did try Israel and found there was a registration bug which meant most of my signings could play in the League Cup but then not in the league a few weeks later - I would hope this has been rectified.

Ireland - The playoff date is either the 18th/19th of November, I can't remember - holiday up to that point! - and it's best to use Jan 2008 as no one gets relegated in the 2007 season.

Don't ask me about Holywood because last night I was 30 seconds away from taking a flamethrower to my HDD. I've done Iceland, it's the only time I've ever been relegated but Northern Ireland made me want to hurt something and made me incredibly, incredibly angry and very close to turning the same colour as the Holywood kit.

I'm frustrated because the only time I've had any joy in here is Wales, other than that I've either been hit by bugs or just really struggled. I want to do this, I want to do well, but I'm just banging my head against a brick wall at the moment.

You can count me out of this challenge.

It's just gotten to impossible to get any further than the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Champions Cup, and the fact that I can't keep hold of my players for more than a season, it's doing my ****ing head in!!!

I will do my final updates in the LLM forum and then kill the save.

KUTGW and have fun everyone, you never know, maybe i'll be back one day.

Meldert, Belgium - August 31st 2028

While construction workers are adding another 10.000 seats to bring our stadium capacity to above 50k, the new season is underway.

We were seeded for the Champions League 3rd Qual Round, but with CSKA Sofia we didn't draw the easiest opponent in the bag. Still one I was confident we could handle though.

And in fact, the home match went a lot easier than I expected. The away match was a bit more even, but all in all an easy short route to the group stage.

Group draw.

Second place should be possible, but we need to bring home the bacon against Benfica, who are basically a group stage/early knockouts quality team.

Hajduk should be a formality. Valencia will be tough, they're one of the top teams in Europe at the moment, reaching the CL Final three times in the last five years, winning once.

Euro Coefficients:

Club: 30th - 71.548

Nation: 11th - 31.975 (2-2-1)

Hey all! I set up a save ready to play this challenge way back when FM08 was first released. Since my FM07 attempt at the challenge was a whole lot of fun in Sweden, I decided to keep it Scandinavian and set up a game in Finland. However, I got caught up in a couple of other games to start with, and then "real life" intervened and I never really got round to playing it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've decided to start a new game, but for a bit of a change of pace (and in honour of some awesome Slovakian regens in one of my FM07 saves) I've gone with Slovakia. Which makes all of the first paragraph of this post totally redundant.

Anyway, I've decided to go with FK Tatran NAO Liptovsky Mikulas from the charming town of Liptovsky Mikulas, mainly because the town's website was in English and the photos looked nice. Plus the only other option was FK Raca, who play in the capital Bratislava - always more fun to play with a team from a smaller provincial town rather than the capital.

Anyway, enough useless information - here's my profile.

KUTGW everyone! icon14.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niresearch:

yes, unless you want to take Sporting Fingal, who are the new club to the league in 2008 replacing Kilkenny City.

It was seeing them in there that got me really confused. I think I'll just go with them to save having to holiday.

Thank you very much for the help, much appreciated. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it okay that I go with them Gundo? I've started with them anyway and here is my profile.

Guest niresearch

dafuge, as requested your brand spanking new sirocco kits for the game... not that is actually their away kit, made by prostar and no sponsor - ahh the joys of the lower league football!

Kit Request

the *not in this post is meant to say *note! makes the post have completely different meanings.

Season 2009 Review - Gestrike-Hammarby IF in Swedish Second Division Middle Götaland

Promotion! The debt is slowly but surely shrinking as well -- now down to a mere £20K. icon14.gif

League Table

Past Positions

I don't think I've ever been quite this dominant in any league before. Much of the credit goes to the excellent loanees I got for this season.

Squad

Transfers

Boskailo handling the corners just as well as Samuelsson did last year. I really think I've hit gold here -- it's like having a third striker on the pitch. icon_biggrin.gif

Star Player

Way too good for this league. I'm hoping for a loan extention or he'll be hard to replace.

Annihilator666 - SC YF Juventus - Season 16/17 - Swiss Challenge League

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Jurgen Kessel

Fans' Player of the Year - Jurgen Kessel

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

Best Eleven - Overall | Season

Domestic Competition:

Finally! At the ninth attempt, I've been promoted to the top tier of Swiss football. I sat in 2nd place for most of the season, but a couple of dodgy results near the end of the season almost let 3rd placed Thun back into it. But I beat eventual champions Grasshopper at home to secure the playoff spot.

I had to get past Servette to reach the Super League, and I came away with a 2-1 home win from the first leg, in what was a very tight game. In the return leg, two first half goals were enough to secure promotion.

In the cup, it was yet again another run to the third round, which ended in me being beaten by St. Gallen after extra time.

The Board, Finances, etc.:

Well, the board refused to upgrade the stadium, which means I'll be playing in the Super League with a 1,200 capacity stadium. icon_frown.gif They did, however, agree to upgrade the training facilities.

Due to the small stadium, I forsee me losing a couple mil this season as I'll need to bring in a few new players to strengthen the squad.

Now don't laugh....

So my prediction that we weren't 'quite ready' for the top flight kind of came true "ahem". It was pretty obvious early on that we weren't going to stand a chance this year and despite our best efforts we'll be back in the First Division Elite next year. I'm not too fussed to be honest, if we weren't good enough then we need to rebuild and try again. My concern is that my current contract needs me to be surviving in the Premier Division by the end of the next year, so if I don't get promoted straight away this could well be the end of my attempt in Sweden!It's annoying really because the board would have been happy with my taking 4-6 years to get into the Premiership but because I overachieved last year I've shot myself in the foot!

Oh well, chin up!!

Originally posted by 442to445:

Saab... why use words when an emoticon will do:

icon_eek.gif

2 points?!

hehe it's not my management high I'll grant you that! Interestingly the other team that went up with me came straight down as well. There is a huge jump between D1 and Premiership and the main problem is that you rely on quality loan players to get you out of the lower divisions then they won't come to you when you're in the Premiership!

Originally posted by saab693:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

icon_eek.gif

2 points?!

hehe it's not my management high I'll grant you that! Interestingly the other team that went up with me came straight down as well. There is a huge jump between D1 and Premiership and the main problem is that you rely on quality loan players to get you out of the lower divisions then they won't come to you when you're in the Premiership! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lies! You're a closet Sunderland fan and just wanted to make them look good! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 442to445:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

icon_eek.gif

2 points?!

hehe it's not my management high I'll grant you that! Interestingly the other team that went up with me came straight down as well. There is a huge jump between D1 and Premiership and the main problem is that you rely on quality loan players to get you out of the lower divisions then they won't come to you when you're in the Premiership! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lies! You're a closet Sunderland fan and just wanted to make them look good! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeah this has all just been an elaborate scheme! Amazingly the board are pleased with my progress in all competitions! Let's recap, I went out at the first available opportunity in the cup and managed 2 measly points in the league!! Pleased!?!!??!

Maybe I won't get sacked icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Cookie I completely missed your earlier post at Skjetten.... icon_eek.gif

Many many many congrats on a superb achievement! After coming so close with Slavonija I can only applaud. Well done! icon14.gificon_smile.gif

Cheers, i must admit i was a little delighted myself icon_wink.gif

A mini Serbia update whilst i'm here....

Macva have started relatively well, we've only played 2 league games. A 1-1 draw in our opening game away from home and a 3-0 stuffing of Metalac in our second.

Players wise, i've got in 4 players on loan from my parent club OEK Beograd. I also purchased an Argentinian ST from them for free. My best piece of business would have to be the signing of a 17 year old DC on a free who has walked straight into the starting line-up.

I'll post screenies a bit later, if a get a chance....

C'mon Serbia icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niresearch:

Thank you very much for the help, much appreciated. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it okay that I go with them Gundo? I've started with them anyway and here is my profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too sure how promotions and relegations work in Ireland, but if they meet the original challenge criteria then that's fine.

cookie - solid start to life in Serbia. good to see you've brought in a few loan players. i think it might be the way to go 1st season to try and ensure promotion at first attempt - but listen to me, telling the first challenge victor this year what to do!! icon_biggrin.gif

saab693 - oops!! icon_eek.gif at the end of the day though you have achieved promotion once, and your (brief) visit to the top league can only improve the club...

Annihilator666 - congrats on promotion finally! seems like professional status gave you that final push.

Scab - congrats on promotion. looks like the loan signings made the difference - Boskailo!! icon_eek.gif wow!! Jagne looks like a quality player too. sure you'll be trying to get him back again!!

iseemonsters & aaberdeenn - good luck! icon14.gif maybe one of you will be the next winner!

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Is it okay that I go with them Gundo? I've started with them anyway and here is my profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too sure how promotions and relegations work in Ireland, but if they meet the original challenge criteria then that's fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's explained at the bottom of page 46 and the top of this page but I think they're fine. icon14.gif

Thanks for the support ripscombe! Think it's prob best we dont dwell on 'that season'....

Quick interest point guys if you dont mind. When you sign players from scout reports, do you go off the current ability or potential ability? I always go off the current and was just wondering what the general consensus was?

Cheers

When you sign players from scout reports, do you go off the current ability or potential ability? I always go off the current and was just wondering what the general consensus was?

I usually look at both but sometimes in the lower leagues it's best just to go for current ability as you want to progress up the leagues as fast as you can then you can start to worry about potential.

Quick interest point guys if you dont mind. When you sign players from scout reports, do you go off the current ability or potential ability? I always go off the current and was just wondering what the general consensus was?

Cheers

I always go on potential ability, to sign youngsters who will hopefully stay at the club for a number of years.

Really annoyed. The game was 1-1 with 4 minutes injury time; I score on 93.59 to go 2-1 up only for them to score straight from the kick off in the 96th minute. icon_mad.gif

Despite this in the previous game I was 2-1 down and then scored in the 88th minute and again in injury time to win 3-2.

Still really gutting though. icon13.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

Cheers

I always go on potential ability, to sign youngsters who will hopefully stay at the club for a number of years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Daf. So say the current potential rating says the player would be a decent signing for this division but a good player in the higher divisions in the future. Would you play him straight away or wait for him to develop?

Cheers Daf. So say the current potential rating says the player would be a decent signing for this division but a good player in the higher divisions in the future. Would you play him straight away or wait for him to develop?

I'd give him a few games and see how he gets on. The NI league is perfect for giving young players games with all the cup games at the start of the season.

Saab693 In answer to your question regarding potential vs current, i always plumb for potential!

As Dafuge suggests, a couple of games to assess ability for myself and if not quite ready i move them to an affliate for a season (sometimes 2). I have found that this is also the best way of generating additional finance, because you may well make more of a profit on them in the future.

Rlipscombe Cheers mate, i'm hopefull, although i do need to find a decent DR or WBR!!

FK Macva Sabac

Just a brief bit of history for you. The club was founded in 1919 and plays it's home matches at the originally titled Stadion FK Macva icon_rolleyes.gif

They play in red and black vertical stripes, very reminiscent of AC Milan. icon14.gif

Here is a link to their home page for you to see for yourself. Sadly my Serbian isn't up to much so i can't translate!!

Man i love this challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Meldert, Belgium - October 4th 2028

Champions League Group Stage, matches 1+2:

Meldert - Benfica: 1-0

The home match against the second seeds of the group was an important one to start off with. A very even match, but a few of our chances were a bit more dangerous than theirs, and we managed to finish one of them, so I call it a deserved win. An important one as well.

Valencia - Meldert: 4-2

I knew there was a good chance that we'd come away empty handed here, but it was a bit disappointing to be 2-0 down after 8 minutes. After that, the match was a bit more even than the stats suggest, with most of their chances not very dangerous.

The match broke open in the end, with 4 goals in the last ten minutes, but we never quite looked strong enough to snatch a point. A fair result, all in all.

Other results in the group:

Hajduk - Valencia: 1-1

Benfica - Hajduk: 3-0

Too soon to make any conclusions. Taking six points from our next two matches, against Hajduk, would put us in a very good position though.

Archived