unemployed from the start - seeing where you can take your career without the big clubs?

it takes seasons to get to a top team, but thats the whole fun, sometimes you do so well with a small team you hate leaving and want to try winning a major competition with them

to get Cont PRO licence also takes a few seasons, it's about 4 months per license early on but the gets longer to a full year, you are probably looking at 5 seasons for full Cont Pro, and it also depends on if your chairman will fund the courses for you

the game becomes more funny but there is a problem when it's a great team most of the current players have retired lol

• 1 year later...

quite crazy, started with no badges and sunday league experience and managed to get my first job at Wisla Krakow! the most titled club in Poland, valuing about 10 million pounds. Can't believe it.

well, they were doing horribly. last in the league in december after 12L 3D 2W. Managed to win the league and super cup with them by the end of the season though :D

After a poor start to the second season which saw us bow out of european competitions and on a horrible run in the league I resigned. Perhaps what's even more surprising is that Bournemouth offered me a job :D Yes, that's right, 66 million pound club currently 18th in championship league with expectations of promotion to the premier league. I've just started studying for my national B license as well) Quite a start to my managerial career, eh?

just out of curiosity, I re-loaded the game after my resignation from Wisla and applied to a lot of jobs to see if the Bournemouth appointment was a 'fluke' or 'bug'. Managed to get interviews from Nottingham Forest(championship), Braunschweig(2 German League), Red Bull Salzburg (first austrian division) and Numancia (20th in the spanish premier division). Which one d'you reckon I should go for?

*edit*

managed to get a job with Genoa, currently 20th in serie A. so basically from complete obscurity to a mid-table club in one of the 4th highest rated competitions in just 15 months

If we refer to our real life, most of us should start unemployed, without badges and with a past as amateur player. But if the game would be "realistic" no one would hire such a manager, not even an obscure nation to train their U19 or a club from a Lower Division.

The excitement, the tension builds as you start your save.

The number of playable leagues filled to capacity.

The face value of Football Manager is what you bought it for...

Intrinsically it's worth what you feel it's worth.

I'm sure there's a lot of people playing the game who don't know the difference between Rigid and Fluid and Counter and Control.

It's irrelevant, it doesn't matter because what you have at hand is the rarest of sporting events, an event that needs no build ups, no excessive descriptions.

In a political or nationalistic sense I'm sure Football Manager is being viewed with varied perspectives...

but simply it's a football game, on a football pitch, somewhere on your hard drive.

Some thoughts before the game...

For the manager it's about discovery time.

It's one thing to be promising and enthusiastic... and another to be good.

In the game you will go through perhaps the most difficult, demanding, and yet exhilarating time of your life.

You will be playing against a very good opposition, and after that time, after it's all over, you'll find out a lot about yourself...

you'll find out how good you are.

If Standard and Flexible is an anthropometric (measure of a man) approach to the game,

instructions are all about maximising your own strengths and minimising your own weaknesses,

and maximising your opposition's weaknesses and minimising your opposition's strengths.

If you can find the balance between your control and your enthusiasm and be composed enough

to seize your opportunity... when you cross the finish line you will know whether you've got what it takes.

Play for your future... you're in the game.

Just started an unemployed save and got the Alfreton job with them 10th in NLN after the caretaker won 3 out of 3 games, drew 2-2 in first game then lost the next 2 games 2-1 but am currently on a 7 game winning streak after tweaking my tactics but have some tough games coming up currently scouting a lot of NLN's best players to improve my squad for next season.

• 3 months later...

Just started unemployed and got a job from alcanense team in campeonato nacional de seniores(Lowest playable league in portugal). Making good progress though. Half the season ended and currently in 3rd place. However my objective was to finish in midtable.

Just started unemployed and got a job from alcanense team in campeonato nacional de seniores(Lowest playable league in portugal). Making good progress though. Half the season ended and currently in 3rd place. However my objective was to finish in midtable.

Archived