Development, Match Experience And Everything In Between

Taken from my blog www.sisportscentre.com

Player development is a big part of the game for me, in fact it’s the only reason why I still play the game as I don’t really care for the tactical side of the game and much prefer writing development stuff. With that in mind I thought I’d write more development stuff for the blog as people seem to enjoy these and not many people actually write about this side of the game but every man and his dog writes about tactics! So this will be the first of many articles on training, player development that will concentrate on specific aspects of the training module. This particular article will focus on game time and have a look at just how much players play during the season.

As this is the start of the season, in fact the very start of the game I am expected to win promotion to the Championship. So blooding youths could cost me point, it might not but it could and this is what people always worry about. Myself I always make sure that I have a little squad so I can always find game time for the youths at the club. If you find you can’t give players enough game time during the season then I’d have to question why, maybe your squad is too big? Anyway, I’m going to be trying to incorporate six players into the first team throughout the year so this means ensuring they get as much game time as I can afford. The more game time they’ll get the more they should develop if I ensure they have the correct personality type. I’ll not go over the personality types again as I covered that in the Ajax stuff I wrote last year and the year before.

As some of these players are really under development it means I will look to give them as much game time as possible but this also means I might be playing them in other positions, I’ll explain a bit more further down. But before we do I must stress that these players tend to be weak all round even though they have good potential for the level I am at. So don’t expect to see dramatic changes in the first 18 months because the attributes across the board are extremely poor. So it will take around 2 years before we see the player start to take shape.

These are the players that I accommodated into the side in the first season.

Diegop.png?resize=300%2C159

I’m playing a 4-1-2-2-1 formation at the minute so I use attacking midfielder right and left which makes playing Diego easier and gives me more options for what I can use him as. Ideally I see him long term as my main striker and think he’ll be a good F9 or Treq. So to give him game time during the season he will be used either as a starter or sub for the following positions;

• Striker
  • Attacking Midfield Right
  • Attacking Midfield left

This gives me more options which means it should increase the amount he plays because of his versatility. It’s much easier to give someone time if they can cover various positions for the system you use.

Willisp.png?resize=300%2C160

Obviously there isn’t much I can do with a goalkeeper but I’ll play him as and when depending on the results and how difficult I think the game will be. It comes down to how brave you want to be really and how frequent you’ve got the bottle to use him. I have the bottle but I’ll avoid playing him in any game were I think aerial challenges will be an issue due to how weak he is in the air.

Reedp.png?resize=300%2C159

He’s not ready for the first team nowhere near but I have faith in him and see him as a long term project and playing in the Premiership should I get promoted twice. As I play a 4-1-2-2-1 he can play in any of these positions;

• Central Midfield Left Centre
  • Central Midfield Right Centre
  • Defensive Midfield

Long term I see him as some kind of playmaker so he would be holding down one of the more central positions rather than the defensive midfield spot due to how I play. But where he plays doesn’t really matter at the minute until he’s more developed and has a position to call his own.

Lewinp.png?resize=300%2C159

Dominic I’m not sure what I see him as long term as I can see him playing many positions which is good but can be a bit of a nightmare when deciding where he’ll play eventually. I think I could see him as a F9 or some kind of creative midfielder. I’m not sure how well he is going to develop though but I will train him like I do every player with the intention of playing him. So the position he is likely to cover during the first season ar

• Striker
  • Attacking Midfielder left
  • Attacking Midfielder Right
  • Central Midfield (possibly)

I’m already well stocked for central midfielders but during the season I’m bound to pick up injuries/suspensions and just fatigue in general so he could be used there. But I won’t be using him unless its a must due to having two other youths who will be playing those positions already.

Khanp.png?resize=300%2C159

This is another player whose natural position isn’t one that I use in the current set up but that isn’t really an issue. Long term I see him as some kind of inside forward. The positions he will be playing are;

• Attacking Midfielder Right
  • Central Midfield (possibly)

I can only really offer him games at attacking midfield right side at the minute due to having quite a few players already who can play those positions due to the amount of players I’m trying to bring into the team in one go. Although saying that I’ll approach it like the player above and if a opportunity arises to play him elsewhere then I will do but he is a back up to the youths and will only be used there if they can’t for whatever reason.

Dimaiop.png?resize=300%2C160

I see him as my long term defensive midfielder and want to see how far I can push on with him, Diego and Louis Reed. Even if my rep grows and the team becomes bigger than it currently is and competing for titles and in Europe, I don’t plan on selling them ever regardless of how good they’ve become. For me and how I play I need attachment to the players and set myself goals to achieve to keep me interested and this is it for this save. It will serve as a reminder for where we came from and I can show them a bit of loyalty. The positions he will be playing in the first season are;

• Defensive Midfield
  • Central Midfield

He will be covering both those positions to get the first team exposure he needs.

As you can see the initial base I have to work from was very low for all of the players so this means it will take longer especially for the ones who are 18 already. The younger the player the easier it would be due to having extra time with them but once they get to 18 it means they will still be developing into their 20’s and it’ll be around the early 20’s that we actually to see the player become the player you hope they will. Not that it matters much, I just prefer to develop players earlier if possible as tutoring them can take quite a while especially if they have crap personality types of begin with.

Game time is the single most important factor for gaining current ability, the more they play the more they should develop if he has the correct personality type (any that has a high combo of professionalism and ambition). Now if I were to tell you that some of these players had played 20 times or more you’d believe that was a lot of game time wouldn’t you?! But its not actually as much as you think (well it wasn’t me I was quite shocked). Being involved in 20 games is just short of half the league games so you’d expect a lot of minutes on the pitch. But if we look a bit closer at the actual figures you might be surprised. Here are the stats for the six players listed above for League One games and their minutes played this season;

Diego

Diego.png?resize=300%2C105

I actually thought Diego had played a lot more minutes than that in the league and assumed he’d be around the 70% mark but how wrong was I. It’s impossible to have anyone play every single minute unless its a goalkeeper due to that being the least demanding role as a rule. He was involved in 27 League One games out of 46.

Willis

Willis.png?resize=300%2C105

Keepers are probably the hardest players to give game time to if they are weak because they lack attributes. I tried to give him as much time as I could but its not as much as I’d have liked He was involved in 14 game in total.

Reed

Reed.png?resize=300%2C105

This young player I have really high hopes and he got far more game time than I thought he would due to him playing in midfield which is the strongest part of my squad with lots of depth. In total he was involved in 22 games.

Calvert-Lewin

Lewin.png?resize=300%2C105

He actually got a lot more games that I expected he would, he was involved in 28 games. This is down to me only having one attacking midfielder left though so it allows me to give him more time. He ended up being the only real back up for Jamie Murphy which worked well.

Khan

Khan.png?resize=300%2C105

I had to use him as a central midfielder at times due to injuries and condition issues as the season wore on. He was involved in 22 games though which again is more than I was expecting as I thought majority of his games would come from the right but playing him central when I had the issues I had proved a bit help in the end.

Dimaio

Dimaio.png?resize=300%2C105

I’m slightly disappointed I didn’t use him more but he did pick up a few niggling injuries missing two weeks here and there so it become harder to involve him more. he was involved in 19 games in total.

Diego2.png?resize=300%2C133

His improvements for the season were;

1+ dribbling, 1+ first touch, 1+ heading, 1+ anticipation, 1+ composure, 1+ concentration, 1+ decisions, 1+ off the ball, +2 vision, 1+ acceleration, 1+ agility, 1+ pace, 1+ stamina, 2+ strength

Willis2.png?resize=300%2C134

1+ aerial ability, 2+ command of area, 1+communication, 1+ first touch, 2+ handling, 2+ kicking, 1+ one on ones, 1+ reflexes, 1+ throwing, 1+ anticipation, 2+ composure, 1+ concentration, 2+ decisions, +3 determination (from tutoring) 1+ leadership, 2+ positioning, 1+ teamwork, -1 vision, 1+ work rate, 1+ acceleration, 1+ agility, 1+ balance, 1+ jumping reach, 1+ pace, 1+ stamina, 3+ strength

Reed2.png?resize=300%2C136

1+corners, 1+ crossing, 1+dribbling, 1+ finishing, 1+ first touch, 1+heading, 1+ long shots, 1+ long throw, 1+ marking, 1+ passing, 1+ penalty taking, 1+ tackling, 1+ technique, 1+ anticipation, 1+ composure, 1+ concentration, +2 decisions, 4+ determination (tutoring), 1+ flair, 1+ leadership, 1+ vision, 1+ work rate, 1+ acceleration, 1+ agility, 2+ balance, 1+ natural fitness, 1+ pace, 2+ stamina, 2+ strength

Lewin2.png?resize=300%2C135

1+ crossing, 1+ corners, 1+ dribbling, 1+ finishing, 1+ first touch, 1+ free kick taking, 1+ heading, 2+ long shots, 1+ long throw, 2+ marking, 1+passing, 1+ penalty taking, 1+ tackling, 1+ technique, 2+ anticipation, 1+composure, 1+ concentration, 2+ decisions, 2+ determination (tutoring) 1+ leadership, 1+ off the ball, 2+ positioning, 1+ vision, 1+teamwork, 1+ work rate, 2+ acceleration, 2+ agility, 1 balance, 1+ jumping reach, 1+ natural fitness, 2+ pace, 2+ stamina, 3+ strength

Khan2.png?resize=300%2C135

1+ crossing, 1+ dribbling, 1+ finishing, 1+ first touch, 1+ heading, 1+ long shots, 1+ marking, 1+ passing, 1+ tackling, 1+ technique, 1+ anticipation, 1+ concentration, 1+ decisions, 1+ flair, 1+leadership, 1+ off the ball, 1+ vision, 1+ acceleration, 1+ agility, 1+ balance, 1+ pace, 1+ stamina, 1+ strength

Dimaio2.png?resize=300%2C133

1+ crosses, 1+ corners, 1+ finishing, 1+ first touch, 1+ free kick taking, 1+ heading, 1+ long shots, 1+ marking, 1+ passing, 1+ penalty taking, 1+ tackling, 1+ technique, 2+ anticipation, 1+ composure, 1+ concentration, 2+ decisions, +4 determination (tutoring), 1+ off the ball, 1+ positioning, 1+ teamwork, 1+ vision, 1+ work rate, 1+ acceleration, 1+ agility, 1+ balance, 1+ natural fitness, 1+ pace, 1+ stamina, 1+ strength

Nice and steady progression which I was expecting. Next season should see a few of them kick on more with terms of their development now hopefully. I’ll report back at a later time with the second season developments icon_smile.gif?w=474

Great read Cleon, look forward to seeing your next update on this. This is an area of the game i could improve on massively as i tend to see low star ratings and immediately decide to get shot of them and try and buy what i need. I had a striker that in hindsight i could of worked on developing and i didn't bother and ended up signing a 33 year old Loic Remy on a free. He did well enough but as you mentioned above the satisfaction and attachment you must get from developing young players is something i really would like to start doing far more often :)

Looking forward to following this. I don't know the players' PA so will be interesting to see if they can still perform for you in the Premiership. On a side note Cleon are you the Sheffield United researcher?

Looking forward to following this. I don't know the players' PA so will be interesting to see if they can still perform for you in the Premiership. On a side note Cleon are you the Sheffield United researcher?

I'm not no :)

Ahh right okay. Back to the thread, is this the same save where you made Williams the Palace LB into your ST?

No different one as the other is more for messing around on rather than a long term save.

Great Read, particularly interesting to me as I tend to sign a lot of talented regens throughout the season and sometimes find I have too much top quality youngsters to focus on a handful, so usually end up giving a lot of players little game time as oppose to a few players a lot of game time. Looking forward to finding out how your youngsters develop.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will you talk about what training regimes you have the players under?

2. Slightly unrelated, what skin are you using?:)

Is there a specific attribute you look for before deciding who your going to develop or do you work with what's given and tailor development towards let's say an innate attribute like one of your players has very high bravery, so tailor him towards an aggressive sort of role like BWM?

Is there a specific attribute you look for before deciding who your going to develop or do you work with what's given and tailor development towards let's say an innate attribute like one of your players has very high bravery, so tailor him towards an aggressive sort of role like BWM?

No I just train them for the roles I use in the tactic I am using at the time. I just work with what I'm given :)

Hi Cleon, another excellent read.

IIRC a youth player won't develop, or "learn from" a match unless he gets a match rating. I believe they have to play at least 15 mins before they get a registered match rating. So, is it fair to say that it's useless to sub a developing youth in the 75+ min?

I have read this somewhere (for fm14) and I refrain from making my youth sub's late in the game. Not sure if it holds any weight, however...

Is there any truth to the above?

Hi Cleon, another excellent read.

IIRC a youth player won't develop, or "learn from" a match unless he gets a match rating. I believe they have to play at least 15 mins before they get a registered match rating. So, is it fair to say that it's useless to sub a developing youth in the 75+ min?

I have read this somewhere (for fm14) and I refrain from making my youth sub's late in the game. Not sure if it holds any weight, however...

Is there any truth to the above?

On FM13 and FM14 the player had to play 15 mins to get a rating I think it was yeah, that's no longer the case though.

Probably more of a training question but what settings do you use after pre season? For example:

Two notches to the right and low intensity for team training and heavy intensity for individuals.

Do you still not use rest days during pre season training, training camps are throwing me a little I think.

Cleon another question if you don't mind. I remember you speaking about an in match event like a defensive midfield player playing a brilliant through ball when it's not really his game and his then creativity (now vision) gets a straight jump from 10 to 11 for example and an upward green arrow. It's that still the case?

Cleon another question if you don't mind. I remember you speaking about an in match event like a defensive midfield player playing a brilliant through ball when it's not really his game and his then creativity (now vision) gets a straight jump from 10 to 11 for example and an upward green arrow. It's that still the case?

Event base development still exists yeah.

I've just came accross a 16 year old right back who is playing for Brazil and already looks like one of the best right backs in the game. Scout report says he is playing close to his full potential.

I've never actually seen a 16 year old with attributes this good.

Anyway, I was wondering is this player a freakish one off or is it common for youngsters to generate already fully developed world class players?

I've just came accross a 16 year old right back who is playing for Brazil and already looks like one of the best right backs in the game. Scout report says he is playing close to his full potential.

I've never actually seen a 16 year old with attributes this good.

Anyway, I was wondering is this player a freakish one off or is it common for youngsters to generate already fully developed world class players?

Such is life as well? Look at Rooney for example, physical freak at 15/16 and so good so young Walter Smith wanted to play him in the first team when he was only 15 (but wasn't allowed).

No no rest days during preseason. After pre season I use balanced for general, low intensity and heavy individual.

Another great thread - well done again !!

Heavy on individual training - if that was included in your Ajax piece I must have missed it - crafty :)

No no rest days during preseason. After pre season I use balanced for general, low intensity and heavy individual.

Cleon, another excellent thread from you.

A follow up question: do you use heavy intensity individual training for all your players? Starters, rotation player et al.

Do you still use heavy individual when training a position or PPM?

I do as a rule yes.

Another great thread - well done again !!

Heavy on individual training - if that was included in your Ajax piece I must have missed it - crafty :)

It's explained under the training section and in every example I posted in the Ajax thread :D

Cleon, another excellent thread from you.

A follow up question: do you use heavy intensity individual training for all your players? Starters, rotation player et al.

Yeah I do because I want every single bit of training to go on the focus I've set rather than the general training. Its maximising training time for them as individuals.

It's explained under the training section and in every example I posted in the Ajax thread :D

This is why your posts are some of the best out there - you really need to read and re-read them over and over again to drain every last drop of valuable info out of them :)

Quick question that may be completely superfluous.

When asking a coach to teach a PPM does it matter which coach is chosen? For example will a more attacking coach teach the shooting PPM's quicker or make it more likely to succeed or does it not matter in the slightest? I only ask because it gives you the option to choose which coach to ask rather than just give you a drop down of the available PPM's straight away.

Just to say I'm giving this a go with Hamilton in the SPL. They seem the perfect choice as the expectation of a mid-table finish means I should be able to afford plenty of playing time.

I've gone through the club's youth ranks and have committed to developing anyone with a Good SPL rating and better. This has resulted in the following:

Blair Currie - GK - Leading SPL.

Stephen Hendrie - DL - Star SPL.

Michael Devlin - DC - Leading SPL.

Eamonn Brophy - ST - Star SPL.

Andy Ryan - ST - Star SPL.

Jaison McGrath - ST - Good SPL.

Transfer-wise, I've set myself the restriction of only bringing in free agents (either tutors or prospects), but in any event an 18k wage limit has prevented wholesale changes to the squad.

I've taken screenshots of the players at the start of the game, and I might update as I progress, but I'm conscious this is Cleon's thread and I don't want to clutter it up :)

Quick question that may be completely superfluous.

When asking a coach to teach a PPM does it matter which coach is chosen? For example will a more attacking coach teach the shooting PPM's quicker or make it more likely to succeed or does it not matter in the slightest? I only ask because it gives you the option to choose which coach to ask rather than just give you a drop down of the available PPM's straight away.

It can have a little impact yeah so always choose an attacking coach when teaching attacking PPM's and so on.

Just to say I'm giving this a go with Hamilton in the SPL. They seem the perfect choice as the expectation of a mid-table finish means I should be able to afford plenty of playing time.

I've gone through the club's youth ranks and have committed to developing anyone with a Good SPL rating and better. This has resulted in the following:

Blair Currie - GK - Leading SPL.

Stephen Hendrie - DL - Star SPL.

Michael Devlin - DC - Leading SPL.

Eamonn Brophy - ST - Star SPL.

Andy Ryan - ST - Star SPL.

Jaison McGrath - ST - Good SPL.

Transfer-wise, I've set myself the restriction of only bringing in free agents (either tutors or prospects), but in any event an 18k wage limit has prevented wholesale changes to the squad.

I've taken screenshots of the players at the start of the game, and I might update as I progress, but I'm conscious this is Cleon's thread and I don't want to clutter it up :)

Hendrie is a really good player, I've actually bought him on another Sheffield United save I have (I have like 10 of them for some strange reason:D)

Feel free to post in here I don't mind, more the merrier :)

Hendrie is a really good player, I've actually bought him on another Sheffield United save I have (I have like 10 of them for some strange reason:D)

Nice one. I'll update with before and after pics after season one.

I might have to nab him when I start my Hearts career save after the final patch is released. We have such a good young squad though already with McHattie being a good LB. The signing of Hendrie would enable me to sell McHattie though.

I might have to nab him when I start my Hearts career save after the final patch is released. We have such a good young squad though already with McHattie being a good LB. The signing of Hendrie would enable me to sell McHattie though.

Or retrain to a winger or right back?

McHattie became a Scotland international for me within 2 seasons, I had Hendrie last year (as in FM14) and he and McHattie developed to very similar levels. Retraining one to the right hand side would give you a nice pair.

That said, i very much doubt you will get him for Hearts. There is no transfer budget in season 1, and no real assets to sell for enough cash. He will tend to head down south for £500K plus in the saves i have seen. Just checked in my Hearts save and he actually stayed in Scotland (Dundee Utd) but they paid £450K for him. I probably could have got him in Jan season 2, but he wouldn't be an upgrade over McHattie and i would lose the home grown (club) element which is important once you make it the champions league :)

Hamilton will be an interesting youth save for you Dave - Its the interesting mix of a great youth setup, but somewhat constrained by being in a country with a lowish national youth rating, meaning regen quality can be a challenge :) There is the odd rough diamond in the Scottish Lower leagues to find. Lewis Milne at Cowdenbeath is worth a look, usually affordable for around £75K and good potential for Scottish midfielder :)

Yeah I might have to row back on not paying fees for prospects, albeit it's a moot point since I have no transfer budget at the moment.

Not had a great start. It's a tricky balance between playing the youngsters and not getting results which dents morale. As long as we keep our heads above water in the SPL and get a year of development under the belt I'll be happy.

EDIT: Just beat St. Mirren 3-0 so we're back up to 8th. I've also found another Good SPL rated youngster in right winger Jack Simpson so that's seven players I'm trying to develop.

Or retrain to a winger or right back?
McHattie became a Scotland international for me within 2 seasons, I had Hendrie last year (as in FM14) and he and McHattie developed to very similar levels. Retraining one to the right hand side would give you a nice pair.

That said, i very much doubt you will get him for Hearts. There is no transfer budget in season 1, and no real assets to sell for enough cash. He will tend to head down south for £500K plus in the saves i have seen. Just checked in my Hearts save and he actually stayed in Scotland (Dundee Utd) but they paid £450K for him. I probably could have got him in Jan season 2, but he wouldn't be an upgrade over McHattie and i would lose the home grown (club) element which is important once you make it the champions league :)

Hamilton will be an interesting youth save for you Dave - Its the interesting mix of a great youth setup, but somewhat constrained by being in a country with a lowish national youth rating, meaning regen quality can be a challenge :) There is the odd rough diamond in the Scottish Lower leagues to find. Lewis Milne at Cowdenbeath is worth a look, usually affordable for around £75K and good potential for Scottish midfielder :)

I don't actually have FM15 yet (didn't play FM14 either) so I was just guessing that he'd be better than Kevin based on Cleon saying he is a really good player :) That's good to know regarding McHattie though, I would have thought he had good potential in the game as he does IRL. I'm surprised that we don't have more maneuverability funds wise in FM15, with us clearing most of our debt.

It would be interesting to hear what the perfect amount of playing time is for development of youth. Maybe somebody will do an experiment on it someday.

My question for you is what do you consider to be a good attribute rating for a player in your starting lineup in the EPL. I noticed you use specific training as well as individual role training. What attribute rating(1-20) do you consider good enough to quit training a specific role and move to the more general role training?

It would be interesting to hear what the perfect amount of playing time is for development of youth. Maybe somebody will do an experiment on it someday.

My question for you is what do you consider to be a good attribute rating for a player in your starting lineup in the EPL. I noticed you use specific training as well as individual role training. What attribute rating(1-20) do you consider good enough to quit training a specific role and move to the more general role training?

Well there is no perfect amount of game time as they'll develop better and faster the more they play if they have the correct personality type.

I don't think of training like that at all, I look at the player as a whole and during the previous seasons will have seen what he is capable of doing in games etc and I make my decision based on that. And when deciding to do role training or individual attribute training I again look at the player as a whole, if he needs a lot of attributes focusing on then chances are he'll get role training. If he needs just an odd few then I'll use individual attribute training on a 3 month cycle. I'll also use individual attribute focus if I need the player to do a specific thing to work on the attributes that he'll need for the role.

I'm making good progress and seeing some good results on the players I'm developing.

Quick question:

I've just received a new youth intake and there are four more trainable prospects in the bunch. Is the consensus to leave them to develop playing U20 football for the time being at least until they hit the age of say 17?

I'm making good progress and seeing some good results on the players I'm developing.

Quick question:

I've just received a new youth intake and there are four more trainable prospects in the bunch. Is the consensus to leave them to develop playing U20 football for the time being at least until they hit the age of say 17?

I promote them to the senior team and make available for other squads. But at same time use them as subs to give them game time regardless of age or how developed they are. I understand not everyone does this though :)

I promote them to the senior team and make available for other squads. But at same time use them as subs to give them game time regardless of age or how developed they are. I understand not everyone does this though :)

I thing I'll end up doing something similar since both budget and personal preference mean I'm keeping a fairly small squad. Additionally, of the four new 15-16 year olds, one is a goalkeeper and the rest are defenders, so I certainly can't afford to have them all involved at once.

For the amount the attributes have changed?
yeah was thinking of doing a season by season comparison for my side will keep a spreadsheet going I reckon. At least that's the plan comparing start of season and end of season and then check attributes.

* a day later, a lot wiser* Forget it! I created the spreadsheet set everything up, and then realised the volume of work thats going to go into it. Nah I won't do it for the whole squad. Will probably do it for a handful of players in my team..maybe a max of 5, doing it for more than that would have meant too little game time

Archived