Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.1.4

I could understand that but why has it only become a problem 3 seasons in?

It is latest update.

I think there could be a 'formula' of events that can lead to a high scoring scenario, both for humans and the AI. First of all, the Close Down Less instruction and the teams that employ it are going to cause weird scenarios for sure. Second of all, teams that Close Down More in conjunction with low morale/unhappy teams tend to cause some strange score-lines. You might have these scenarios within the same fixture round...

It is not something I will say is the main cause (because I generally feel there is something not totally right with Closing Down as a whole), but it just something I have 'noticed' in a glance...

I forgot to mention that I personally think that 'roles' play a role in the matter as well. I don't know if SI Towers are re-thinking the whole 'Duty' aspect and we have to climatize or that we will have to wait until the new patch to see where we are...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i decided to bite the bullet and make a purchase and i must say not enjoying this game one bit.

1. The match engine just doesnt seem to flow, FM14 match engine seemed to flow better in my opinion

2. I am scoring too many goals from long shots. Game seems a lot easier than FM14

3. Averaging two injuries a game (I am aware this might be an issue with training, injuries seem a bit more frequent and random than FM14)

4. Players with exceptional dribbling, pace, agilty, balance, technique, good match fitness their attributes are not being demonstrated in the game play.

5. Everything seems cluttered, tactics screen, (too much scrolling, click this click that, FM14 screen so much better everything in view) not wild on the font style either.

Bugs,

1. When i watch the match via the main stand and zoom in using the mouse, i cannot see my wingers/full backs or the oppositions players, i have to zoom out.

2. Just witnessed two referees on the pitch.

3. Just had a player get injured, team decided to carry on which is all well and good, we get into the penalty area to one of my players all he has to do is shoot and he puts the ball out for a throw in.

DEFFO AN ISSUE with amount of goals............. Playing 4-5-1 Counter

I am playing as Sunderland in the second season in the premier league, and I am sat 5th with 44 goals scored and 25 conceded. I have one of the best defences in the league currently. The highest scoring game I ever had was a 3-4 away win against Spurs, which was a crazy comeback from 3 goals down. I very rarely concede 2 goals in a match unless playing on of the big teams. I also play with an attacking mentality, so it is not a case of me parking the bus to get defensive results.

So these kind of results scream tactical; scoring loads because you have an offensive tactic that is good at creating chances and good players to finish them. Lots of goals conceding because players neglect their defensive duties or the AI is taking advantage of a weakness in your tactic. Do you change things to be less offensive when in the lead? Take less risks, have less players on attack duty, try to retain the ball and make the opposition chase you?

Hunter.... yes - opening day of season......

cd7QGMD.jpg

I know you could argue it could happen but considering my community shield result and my super cup games..... it seems excessive.

As ridiculous as that is, what is even more ridiculous. John Stones at Liverpool and a Javi Martinez Hat-trick or is that Jackson Martinez?

I’m certainly not having high scoring games and aside from a few irritating problems I’m happy with the game. GKs taking free kicks from the corner flag, balls over the top with only the defender jumping for and missing a few other little issues.

I have however learnt a very valuable lesson with my tactics namely less is more and keep it simple. Resigned from Forest green near the end of the first season 2nd from top and applied for the vacant Luton job, 7 games left to go, won 5 drew 2 and saved them from the drop. This also gave me a good chance to scout for the following season and I picked up some really good buys in the close season thanks to the much improved scouting system. Season two opened with three wins which were all comfortable. Now the 4th game was against Oxford, we were third they were 2nd bottom but we lost, not scrappy only just lose but just utterly outclassed and it looked the classic case of the opposition players all playing like Barcelona the game is rigged etc. So needless to say I was not happy, consequently I broke my rule about not replaying and restarted, and was played of the park again, reloaded changed tactics, lost again. Eight times I replayed different tactics each time and lost them all and each time I was outplayed. A radical rethink was needed, I went back to the original tactic changed the team instructions from 11 down to 5, retain possession, pass shorter, work the ball into the box, play into space, pay out of defence. Cut down on the number of players set to attack and cut down on players individual instructions, shorter passing all, closing down only the front players, wingers and one midfield player, made sure that no player had more than three in total. Applied these rules to all my tactics and we were transformed, I now use 5 tactical variations that I can use depending on how my opponents line-up, a 4-5-1, a diamond, a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-3 that I can switch in game to have a left or right wing emphasis and my team is playing as I would expect. Generally if I lose I know it’s because I picked the wrong tactic or at least I know we competed and I don’t often struggle against weaker opponents.

Certainly no high scoring games as such here bar one 6-1 home win against Burnley. Bar that most goals I have scored in a game is one 4, a few 3's and mainly 2's or 1's. Most opposition has scored is 3.

The thing that is a real issue though is unhappy players. One defeat in 10 and fringe players are constantly moaning and say the wrong thing with the right intention they can really kick off. One of my players is playing really well so I say to the moaner "so and so is playing well, so wait your chance", player responds something along the lines of "I don't think he is playing that well", and morale drops again. Then I have Diego Poyet whining about it being a short career.... He is 20!!! A couple of games at times does the trick and they are happy again but one bad performance, maybe a sub appearance the next week and they are knocking on your door again! Even players just back from injury are moaning about not enough game time. I loathe to use the term game breaker but I think this really needs to be looked into.

Also it might be my tactics but any sort of defensive'ish set up seems useless, basically just an open invitation to attack after attack by the opposition. Contain, Defensive, counter, literally just saying to the opposition score as many as you like. I defend better playing attacking, even away from home.

Set Pieces - Really need some work. Haven't scored from a corner yet, Free Kicks are just long shots that sail over the bar all the time and yet the opposition have these cheeky chips into the box which give a free header. I don't see "cheeky chip" in my list of options!!

Nor do they have to because this is an extreme tactic causing extreme results. Similarly to how overly attacking tactics produce goal fests.

I don't know if I'd call it overly extreme though, it'd be one way of many just seeing a game out, in real football managers likely wouldN't commit huge numbers of men forward either, point being that AI managers should be made able to consider similar. That it works for 90 minutes against most opposition full can be linked to Arsenal's technical quality, I presume, as well as a significant number of opponents merely trying to snatch a draw too. Not news to you, naturally, or any of the mods or most long-term players. But the way FM's tactical system has been set up means it is primarily and first and foremost roles and duty combinations that determine what comes off of one's basic formation on the tactics screen when in possession/when attacking. Apart of the basic formation you pick on the tactics screen, which roughly determines a team's defensive shape (minus the AML/AMR/AMC/ST players who largely behave accordingly to duty when defending), roles and duties are the prime thing to look out for when thinking through your team's shape.

N9BPoMO.jpg

Both full backs stay back, though the left back on occasionally provides runs on a support duty (PPMs can interfere, so beware), and in front of them the wide midfielders (15, 7) on defend duty won't commit forward either (which in a more attacking tactics could be utilized for encouraging tons of overlaps from the full backs, actually putting both full backs on attack would make this a far more attacking tactics right there, if primarily via the wings). The CM(s) (16) has meanwhile opted to go for an attacking run and leave his position, but generally he's not as commited to it as a CM/a. It's far easier to play keep ball in deep positions plus encouraging a handful of players forward all the time naturally will see them in attacking positions in and around the box, and finishing. Also employing wingers and similarily aggressive roles will see players engage in dribblings far more frequently. This positioning (and on the ball behavior) framework anyone encourages won't ever really change and will repeat every time when going forward regardless of anything else you pick -- and in particular some of the in-game text regarding mentality is a bit unfortunate. Insofar as that as even on "contain" mentality you could commit a huge number of players forward, which contradicts at least the old text description right there. And clicking "Overload" not a single player may be committed to really bomb the opponent's box at all, similar contrary to some in-game text descriptions.

Btw, upon loading a pkm you get to see the roles and duties the AI employed (or at least started a match with). It seems it doesn't fill its teams with attack duty players either and hints at things being a tad more subtle than we might come to think (I've seen different combinations of roles and duties via saving multiple matches and loading them up). Or that it's slowly getting there. As argued, high scoring AI games could also be linked to AI tactics. This is an AI team employing a 4-2-3-1 Denmark, but rather than giving any player in the AM stratum and beyond an attack duty, it is everybody on support.

JFOTY6Z.jpg

There can always a tad of an overlap with mentality and all of that. But this time, everybody of the four attacking players does track back.

hheIWIz.jpg

Certainly no high scoring games as such here bar one 6-1 home win against Burnley. Bar that most goals I have scored in a game is one 4, a few 3's and mainly 2's or 1's. Most opposition has scored is 3.

The thing that is a real issue though is unhappy players. One defeat in 10 and fringe players are constantly moaning and say the wrong thing with the right intention they can really kick off. One of my players is playing really well so I say to the moaner "so and so is playing well, so wait your chance", player responds something along the lines of "I don't think he is playing that well", and morale drops again. Then I have Diego Poyet whining about it being a short career.... He is 20!!! A couple of games at times does the trick and they are happy again but one bad performance, maybe a sub appearance the next week and they are knocking on your door again! Even players just back from injury are moaning about not enough game time. I loathe to use the term game breaker but I think this really needs to be looked into.

One of the keys to the moaning appears to be professionalism, so with scouting this is now the first thing I'm looking for especially with players who I know are likely to be fringe players. It doesn’t stop them moaning but it helps when they come to you with complaints. First and foremost buys must be professional, determined, team work, work rate, first touch, technique, natural fitness, passing, decisions, composure and concentration. Obviously these vary depending on what league you are playing in, but never lower than eight.

Also it might be my tactics but any sort of defensive'ish set up seems useless, basically just an open invitation to attack after attack by the opposition. Contain, Defensive, counter, literally just saying to the opposition score as many as you like. I defend better playing attacking, even away from home.

I'm sure our tactics are the problem since I'm experiencing the same issue. I completely gave up on defensive, compact tactics and just stick with a gung-ho approach. Any attempt to close up shop results in endless barrage of attacks, crosses, through balls, corners, i.e. immense pressure, while playing with a high line, quick, wide and direct keeps my sheet clean even against far better opposition.

I know it's a tactical problem on our part since one of the tactical gurus can easily prove me wrong, but for an average user the current ME is definitely much easier to handle using attacking tactics.

One of the keys to the moaning appears to be professionalism, so with scouting this is now the first thing I'm looking for especially with players who I know are likely to be fringe players. It doesn’t stop them moaning but it helps when they come to you with complaints. First and foremost buys must be professional, determined, team work, work rate, first touch, technique, natural fitness, passing, decisions, composure and concentration. Obviously these vary depending on what league you are playing in, but never lower than eight.

Where do you see a players professionalism?!

I don't particular see many injuries with my players, also in regards to scott's picture that does happen in the championship quite often sometimes as some teams are bound score more than others. Only thing that bothers me is keeper by front post concede way to many and I expect those mistakes to happen in lower leagues not the top league.

It's their tactics..

It's no use looking at individual match days and concluding that there must be something borked though. This season Birmingham's 0-8 loss to Bournemouth and a couple other high scoring results plus say the 5-3 thriller between Forest and Fulham could have happened on the same match day. There is nothing in the game that scripts matches so that the average number of goals per match day always mimics the average of real life match days, (that'd be bloody horrible -- imagine needing a 3-0 win to stay up and the game deciding that 1-0 is the highest you could go, artificially making for forwards miss sitter upon sitter, for the other matches were already heavy on goals). Also scores don't always tell the full story, a 4-1 might have been one of these matches were every shot on target managed to go in. There are definitely matches though, AI matches as well, that can amass a huge number of shots on both sides, and they don't involve a sending off. It's not that there wouldn't be matches with far less than 20 shots too, as in real football (the average in current top flights seems about 25-30, see whoscored.com), but these attempts accumulated are something else. Might be worth investigating why each side can amass these many attempts if it happens, but likely is already under review. Having looked at the match play, it's not connected to the AI not having a sufficient number of players tracking back though when going with AMR, AML, AMCs (none of these matches involve any of those basic formations).

jat8D5E.jpg

YQzdN1R.jpg

If the match day was a case of simple scripts, rather than a case of move by move simulations soak tested over thousands of matches, as community mythdom has it, these and too regular freak results could be removed by single lines of code that would restrict such occurances from happening. The shot count is already over the moon? Let's just script the sides to not get off any more. The cumulated numbers of goals in a match exceeds 8, 9, 10? No more goals routine kicks in. It likely rather is a combination of match engine issues, tactical decisions, even player picks (imagine an AI side fielding a host of players that has PPMs and traits that would make them all encourage to take lots of shots -- but only in a single match that very season). And a combination of these. The reasons for there being this many shots in both above matches might even be completely different.

I'm sure our tactics are the problem since I'm experiencing the same issue. I completely gave up on defensive, compact tactics and just stick with a gung-ho approach. Any attempt to close up shop results in endless barrage of attacks, crosses, through balls, corners, i.e. immense pressure, while playing with a high line, quick, wide and direct keeps my sheet clean even against far better opposition.

Imo nothing to do with picking a defensive or counter mentality itself. However picking it and encouraging to drop even deeper is at some point basically doing a Chelski, last couple of ties in the 2011/2012 Champions League season (p'rhaps without the benefit of having Drogba up there to target and lessen the pressure invited on purpose somewhat): dropping all deep and soaking up all the pressure you can. Naturally in my opinion it's not very encouragable to do this with a basic formation full of attacking players (AML, AMR, AMC either). As your goal is to invite pressure, fielding MRs and MLs instead of AMRs and AMLs is a thing to consider too, regardless of the more attacking position's duty (and we've seen that on attack duty such players won't track back). The entire tacitcal system is a holistic thing and meant to be used likewise, just ´picking a more cautious mentality, basically placing a single click, won't invite pressure like that, see that Arsenal from above.

What is it with FM15 and the 4-5-1 tactic? Every singe team uses it against me, and it makes my players act like a bounch of beheaded hens. After starting new games with the latest patch I can't win a single match. Not even home against the worst team in the league after they've got a red card. They just use that 4-5-1 and I am helpless.

Edit: **** this, I am going FMRTE.

It does seem there are some serious balance issues in this patch. There is too much of a difference between home and away performances in played leagues. My team in particular was bad for this, but it's a problem affecting the entire league.

There also seems to be far too many goals scored. I'm sure this is all already logged, but it does really need some work.

Where do you see a players professionalism?!
Well you could peek in hidden attributes or make effective use of your scouts and coaches. Scouts will tell you if a player is considered professional or take players on trial and look at the coach reports. So a scout report might say we have a professional group of players and X will fit in well. Or as is the case for a German player that I’m interested in Thomas Elsfeld but whose wage demands I can’t quite reach at the moment. I did however, take him on trial for four weeks and I got, complete role model for younger players and would add to the professional nature of the squad both indicative of a pro player. Indeed having just had a look Elsfeld he has a 20 score for professionalism. Some reports will just say professional individual but all are indicative that the player scores well in that area, professional individual seems to indicate very high.

I don't know if I'd call it overly extreme though, it'd be one way of many just seeing a game out, in real football managers likely wouldN't commit huge numbers of men forward either, point being that AI managers should be made able to consider similar.

I meant more in terms of full 90 minutes. As I said, I play that same shape in my current game and it's very much capable in attack if you slow the play down a bit. But the role and duty combination of your example is clearly meant for specific scenarios, namely to hold out a result as you say, so I don't think the AI being incapable of replicating it has a notable effect on overall scorelines. Don't think the AI has that many problems generally with killing games. The problem if there indeed is one is them using the wide open attacking tactics too willingly and that again is at least in part a research problem.

What is it with FM15 and the 4-5-1 tactic? Every singe team uses it against me, and it makes my players act like a bounch of beheaded hens. After starting new games with the latest patch I can't win a single match. Not even home against the worst team in the league after they've got a red card. They just use that 4-5-1 and I am helpless.

Edit: **** this, I am going FMRTE.

You seemed to cope with this in a calm and rational manner :thup:

If you are struggling tactically and would benefit from some fresh ideas, please consider posting in the Tactics Forum.

Well you could peek in hidden attributes or make effective use of your scouts and coaches. Scouts will tell you if a player is considered professional or take players on trial and look at the coach reports. So a scout report might say we have a professional group of players and X will fit in well. Or as is the case for a German player that I’m interested in Thomas Elsfeld but whose wage demands I can’t quite reach at the moment. I did however, take him on trial for four weeks and I got, complete role model for younger players and would add to the professional nature of the squad both indicative of a pro player. Indeed having just had a look Elsfeld he has a 20 score for professionalism. Some reports will just say professional individual but all are indicative that the player scores well in that area, professional individual seems to indicate very high.

Thanks. Well downloaded the Editor and had a look.

Professionalism for those players who have had a moan are Zarate 14, Jarvis 16, O'Brien 15, Carroll 5 !!!???, Amalfitano, 14, Morrison 4. So out of those I suspect the only two I would say would concern me are Carroll and Morrison. IRL Morrison fair enough but Carroll 5?!!!! Is the researcher a Geordie?!!! Seriously maybe Zarate and Amalfitano are borderline but if players 16 and below for professionalism are going to be constantly moaning then I think the game has a minor issue.

Another point of interest is that I looked up Carroll's Injury proneness stat and it's 13. Not good but hardly bad enough for all the in game injuries he has picked up which I mention in post 990.

I've played several season with the new patch and my impressions are:

1) Attacking players in AM stratum are better defensively. Some additional tweaks would be welcome but they don't completely ignore defensive duties.

2) Goalkeeper reactions after they've blocked a shot are still way too slow. I've conceded a goal because my gk blocked a shot and had a ball 10-20cm away from him. He ignored for several seconds while an opposition striker ran from the edge of the area and got to the ball first.

3) Too many long shots scored. If a player his decent long shots, it's a real problem. My CM with 15 long shots, shoots from distance and shoots with power PPM, scored 8 goals in 7 games.

4) One on ones are routinely missed. Even players with extremely high finishing and composure are missing one on ones. After about 6-7 seasons, I've seen only a few goals. I've payed attention for the last three seasons and there was only 1 (one!) goal.

5) This is connected with 4) but players also tend to miss a lot of chances from through balls. It can get really frustrating when your defence splitting passes are wasted because players tend to miss really good chances. I didn't notice any significant difference, regardless on the quality of player or goalkeeper.

6) Marking of players during a cross is really bad. It often happens that only one player (usually from AML/R positions) reaches the ball unmarked even though there are much more defenders. Fullback that are supposed to mark him isn't interested and moves away, leaving him acres of space.

Any news about crashes on mac?

If you have raised a bug report here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/444-Mac-Specific-Issues

then the most recent news about Mac crashes will be in your thread. It is impossible for SI to issue a blanket statement about any crashes, because different system configurations react in different ways.

Professionalism for those players who have had a moan are Zarate 14, Jarvis 16, O'Brien 15, Carroll 5 !!!???, Amalfitano, 14, Morrison 4. So out of those I suspect the only two I would say would concern me are Carroll and Morrison. IRL Morrison fair enough but Carroll 5?!!!! Is the researcher a Geordie?!!! Seriously maybe Zarate and Amalfitano are borderline but if players 16 and below for professionalism are going to be constantly moaning then I think the game has a minor issue.

Another point of interest is that I looked up Carroll's Injury proneness stat and it's 13. Not good but hardly bad enough for all the in game injuries he has picked up which I mention in post 990.

As I say it seems to me that high professionalism will not stop the moaning just make it easier to deal with, I’ve had plenty in my save but very few players have demanded to leave and more importantly other players have not got involved. Mostly they will accept matters if you talk to them cautiously, but in the end if they demand to go then there’s not much you can do about it. However there is an issue, because while you would expect key and first team players to moan about not playing squad members should behave better, otherwise what is the point of contracts that state a players squad role. Certainly in real life squads can be very large and while we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes in regards private conversations regarding selection we nevertheless don’t see backup or rotation players changing club every five minutes.

4) One on ones are routinely missed. Even players with extremely high finishing and composure are missing one on ones. After about 6-7 seasons, I've seen only a few goals. I've payed attention for the last three seasons and there was only 1 (one!) goal.

5) This is connected with 4) but players also tend to miss a lot of chances from through balls. It can get really frustrating when your defence splitting passes are wasted because players tend to miss really good chances. I didn't notice any significant difference, regardless on the quality of player or goalkeeper.

This it seems to me is connected to there being too many one on ones in the match and if more of them were being scored then the game scores would be too high. The way to address this is better defending so there are fewer instances in game and then the conversion rate can go up. It’s obviously very tricky to get right as tweaks to game play obviously have a knock on effect.

To be fair, why wouldn't Carroll have a low stat for professionalism? His early career was absolutely littered with indiscretions including breaking a team-mates jaw.

To be fair, why wouldn't Carroll have a low stat for professionalism? His early career was absolutely littered with indiscretions including breaking a team-mates jaw.

Can't argue with that, but to moan about not starting games within a week of coming back from an injury is a bit odd!

This it seems to me is connected to there being too many one on ones in the match and if more of them were being scored then the game scores would be too high. The way to address this is better defending so there are fewer instances in game and then the conversion rate can go up. It’s obviously very tricky to get right as tweaks to game play obviously have a knock on effect.

Possibly. One on ones are generally converted in 30-40% of cases in football. Based on my experience, the number in game is lower than 10%, probably lower than 5%.

The answer is probably better defending, less through balls but better conversion of those chance. Also, significantly less screamers.

Goalkeepers are weird in this year's version also. They save sitters but concede rather weird goals, especially when they block a shot previously. They take literally ages to get up.

What is disappointing is that one of the problems that has plagued FM for a good few years now never gets addressed. Namely the selling of good players, nobody ever seems to come in for them even when being offered at a cut price. When you have that coupled with players complaining that you haven’t sold them as you promised it can become a serious issue. Maybe this is also why so many decent players stay on free transfers for months on end. It’s now my second season gunning for promotion and I haven’t had to pay for a single player yet because there are so many good players sitting for free and nobody competing for their services.

I hope with this imminent update some of the crazy scorelines will go in oblivion.

The scorelines don't affect everyone though. That has been repeatedly proven in this thread by individuals' posting high scorelines, others countering with their own experiences, and a circular argument which never achieves anything.

The scorelines don't affect everyone though. That has been repeatedly proven in this thread by individuals' posting high scorelines, others countering with their own experiences, and a circular argument which never achieves anything.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is simply tactical imbalance as opposed to being ME related. Had another season with my defensive minded tactics where my team conceded considerably less than 1 goal per game. It shows that defensive tactics can be almost ridiculously effective. As can all out attack ones apparently judging by the amount of people scoring (and conceding) a high amount of goals in their saves. If the AI used tactics sensibly it would turn both of those extremes into outliers. I love the fact that there is such variety so I hope the ME remains as flexible. The balance and variety seems absolutely spot on to me.

24 matches in the league played by my team 63 goals scored so around 2.62 per match, currently 2nd. That said there are some oddities Accrington who are 19th, 79 goals for and against in 22 games played = 3.59 that does seem rather high

24 matches in the league played by my team 63 goals scored so around 2.62 per match, currently 2nd. That said there are some oddities Accrington who are 19th, 79 goals for and against in 22 games played = 3.59 that does seem rather high

Would you mind checking what kind of tactics they mostly start their games with?

Would you mind checking what kind of tactics they mostly start their games with?

I can tell you that AI managers use their attacking formation too often when the team they are facing are considerably lower value.

An example is AI Arsene Wenger who mostly uses 4-4-2 even if his preffered is 4-2-3-1 wide. I am sure this applies for other AI managers.

I can tell you that AI managers use their attacking formation too often when the team they are facing are considerably lower value.

An example is AI Arsene Wenger who mostly uses 4-4-2 even if his preffered is 4-2-3-1 wide. I am sure this applies for other AI managers.

Well a flat 442 may in fact be more defensively solid if the 4231 is the one with MC's instead of DM's. That would be an example of research related tactical imbalance. I'm only guessing here of course.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is simply tactical imbalance as opposed to being ME related.

I completely agree that it is often an issue where human input is involved; anybody who is regularly overseeing matches where they win 4-1, 5-2 etc. should be able to recognise that. However, I think that there are enough examples of AI vs. AI matches floating about which hint at issues, which hopefully the next update can address in some form.

Some of the issue is possibly at a database level, because some of the formations seen in Serie A are very unusual for that league.

I completely agree that it is often an issue where human input is involved; anybody who is regularly overseeing matches where they win 4-1, 5-2 etc. should be able to recognise that. However, I think that there are enough examples of AI vs. AI matches floating about which hint at issues, which hopefully the next update can address in some form.

Some of the issue is possibly at a database level, because some of the formations seen in Serie A are very unusual for that league.

That's sort of my point. The AI managers using open tactics would create similar problems that human users experience. What I do see though is that defensive football is not only possible but also very effective. Unless it's somehow tightly tied to different playing levels (I'm still in lowerish league) then defensive tactics at least in my experience result in low scorelines. I think it's brilliant that there is such clear variety. It's been a while since that has previously been the case in FM.

4-2-3-1. one defensive midfielder, full back on attack, then support on all bar the striker.

Thanks. Would that be 4231 with two MC's and the defensive midfielder being a role or asymmetric?

That's sort of my point. The AI managers using open tactics would create similar problems that human users experience. What I do see though is that defensive football is not only possible but also very effective. Unless it's somehow tightly tied to different playing levels (I'm still in lowerish league) then defensive tactics at least in my experience result in low scorelines. I think it's brilliant that there is such clear variety. It's been a while since that has previously been the case in FM.

Thanks. Would that be 4231 with two MC's and the defensive midfielder being a role or asymmetric?

Just two plain old CMs one set for support and the other for Defend, pretty much a vanilla 4-2-3-1 set wide, made a mistake with the FBs the left is set for support the right attack.

Just two plain old CMs one set for support and the other for Defend, pretty much a vanilla 4-2-3-1 set wide, made a mistake with the FBs the left is set for support the right attack.

So just the sort of shape that would be open to constant counter attacks, especially for a team with less than brilliant individual players...

So just the sort of shape that would be open to constant counter attacks, especially for a team with less than brilliant individual players...
There is some variation, very very occasionally they use a 4-4-2 and they do vary the roles of the two central Midfield players sometimes one is set to AP and BWM but those seem to be the only two players whose roles change. It does look though that they either dominate or lose by a couple, so yes it would appear that they get caught on the counter while playing an with an attacking game plan.

I'm not the first one to suggest this, but I think the 4231 Denmark should only be in the AI's arsenal as an all out attack option for shorter periods instead of being a base tactic. It's just too imbalanced and the AI isn't smart enough to cover its basic weaknesses. But those weaknesses should definitely remain a part of the ME. That's why I see it as a research problem rather than a ME deficiency.

Exactly. And it's not just Serie A.

I don't understand how 4-2-3-1 wide or 4-3-3 dm in England (or Spain) can be 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 dm in Germany...

I don't blame the researchers, though: it's a matter of "translating" real-life formations into FM-nglish. And I believe there isn't a single person who can provide a 100% accurate translation.

And that's why I'm not a big fan of "soak tests." Goal/match ratio in EPL = 2.74. Goal/match ratio in FM = 2.75. Ergo, ME = perfect. No, it isn't, if you're not absolutely sure that AI Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd.. play exactly like real-life Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd... Which is, I know, an impossible task.

It would perhaps make more sense if soak tests were based on tactics/formations instead of competitions.

Regarding the issue with defenders catching up with strikers who are clear through, does anyone think that the bigger issue is maybe not the recovery speed but rather their slow reactions that allow the chance in the first place? At least with the ones that come from long punts over the top. I think the amount of actual one on ones is very good, this is a type of chance that is rare in reality so we really shouldn't go back to having several of those every match. But it clearly looks wrong at the moment so I think defenders should be more reactive to such passes whilst their recovery having been caught out should be slower. Resulting in similar amount of actual one on ones but making it look more realistic.

• Administrators

Archived