*Official* Editor Feature Requests

Max Clayton-Robb

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been away for a while, and came across this thread. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts.

Firstly, there was already an 'Official' Editor Suggestion Thread here - it is even linked at the top of the Editor's Hideaway forum. Please tell me you haven't been ignoring this for the past 2 years?

It's also difficult to gauge an official response to these requests, as there are no replies from SI on here. But I guess the GD Wishlist thread is the same.

Anyway, the biggest request I could ever make of you is to enable us the option of saving to database. There are projects that are far too big in scale for .fmf, .xml or .dbc files. My main project has around 50 different files. I haven't used FM2015, but I guess that if you can't .fmf files in a text editor like a .xml file, having 50 .fmf files would be pointless.

Give us a folder to place individual data files, like you do in the database with the dbc folder in FM12-14 (not sure if it's there for FM15) if you cannot allow us to create our own database. You allowed it for years until FM09. Bring it back.

Lastly not a feature request or anything related to the Editor. The lack of any decent competition for Football Manager has, in my opinion (I am sure many others share this thought), caused the stagnation of FM. You are listening too much to the waffle that people request, leave loads of bugs in the game (unintentionally but inevitable given the scope of the game) and irritate a lot of customers. This year, it cost you me as a customer. Please note that the project I released last year was used by around 5000 people, some who only buy FM to use the release. So you have lost a lot more that you can't really account for. Before you implement any new features, fix the damned product before you lose more loyal customers.

welcome back mate everything above is spot on :thup:

I appreciate this is frustrating for both us the paying public and the staff working on these bugs(big thanks to Max and DEV team:thup:), but enough is enough SI need to front up and give you the resources to resolve the growing bugs list, or admit they can't;)

A time scale re feedback is essential as many of us have bought a product we cannot use in its current form and are unable to work on ''projects'' knowing they cannot be completed. So we patiently wait for news/updates/patches, but if the bug cannot be solved we are just wasting time which is not fair.

The editors forum is getting flooded with members seeking help for issues that are all ready reported as bugs, many are new members and in fairness they state they didn't know, so a sticky as suggested previously is the way forward, and some dialogue with SI is essential, if you go onto some non SI websites the feedback is scathing, I for one have faith in the product as a whole, it is in my opinion the best game out there by a mile, and long may it continue:)

However SI are letting themselves down badly in the way the editor is being treated it needs addressing URGENTLY

cheers

Robbo

Indeed Robbo, I stated before that it was better when we could use the Advanced Rules before it was supported.

Really the Editor should be a standalone product. SI could even charge for it, because not everyone needs it and those who do could probably make the changes they need with the IGE. That way SI could use the income to better support it.

I fully believe the model SI have followed for releases and patches is outdated. They are a small team and the product has outgrown them - it just cannot be sustained without allowing all these bugs to be in place. SI would be far better off charging for the base game with a current DB, and charging for the use of new databases. When new features come out, charge for them like DLC, and when it's time for a new game, release it separately a few years down the line with a new engine. This would allow for bugs to be fixed, new features to come out when they are done and tested rather than dumping 1000 new features on us all at once in a buggy new product that just cannot be properly tested due to its size and scope.

They could also then open up beta's to the public through the Steam beta menu.

Just think about that - SI's mindset at present is that they release the game at about £30, which then gets reduced in a sale to £20, then £10 and eventually about £5. That's potential income that they are losing. Imagine instead that the new game costs £20 and includes the most recent database. When the January database comes out, they charge £15. That's £35 in total. Then imagine they have a new feature release, let's say allowing the user to specify a start date, improvements to the UI, tactics and training, and new licences. This could be released at £5-10 depending on the scope of the content. So £45 in a year. The price of old databases could be dropped over the years to say £5. Customers could buy them, that's up to £10 extra per season. All of this could go towards supporting the game with its incredible scope.

Lastly, the use of forums is just a little outdated, SI should allow the users of the game to report bugs through the game. It can't be that hard to add a button that will stay on every screen that allows the user to report a bug they see there and then, describe it and send it off to SI, which can then automatically identify where the user sees the bug, and which version of the game and DB they are using. Such a small amount of time to spend implementing and it would pay off in dividends for the consumer.

I guess that this isn't really an editor feature request, but mainly my opinion on what should be done that would improve the game. I know people aren't always a fan of DLC but basically that is what new FM's are - expensive DLC to give us new features, new DB and a new skin every year. Once you realise this, asking customers to spend £15 on a new database and £10 on new DLC isn't that absurd. And if you charge for the editor, you could then perhaps set up a subscription service which includes support for its users - because we are usually using it for releases on the workshop etc.

you have stated exactly what I/others have been saying for a few years, we all know the yearly updated game is a money making exercise...and good on SI if people keep on paying why stop!! we all love the game and will probably update on a year to year basis, but apart from the DB update which isn't hard to do, there is a lot of superficial nonsense that are pointless

however a lot are getting frustrated with the perceived lack of testing and game being rushed out with bugs(its been stated many times the game is playable from march onwards) having to be addressed constantly(there are over 1500 threads on bugs forum re-FM15!) ESPECIALLY THE EDITOR, I have asked for a stand alone paid for product in a pre game editor so the DEV team should be better resourced and we get a fully working product

I doubt FM will go this route. If the full game was broken up into micro-transactions for features and then starting to charge up to £45 as you say for things a year I think they'd lose a lot of customers. It's more hassle for people. It's also extra work for the devs having to isolate the code so it can work with bits missing here and there, and support would be horrendous because people's setups would be so different. There's enough variation as it is at the moment without introducing another layer of complexity.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying a few pound for the editor if it meant a better product with more features and more support. I should say as well that there is a lot of testing during beta for the editor but stuff does slip through. Some of the issues raised didn't appear in beta, maybe because it took a certain configuration to cause it to break etc.

I like the idea of a "report a bug" feature inside the game, however there would need to be some screening of these reports or the devs and support people will be spending a lot of time getting rid of false-positives.

Starting to ramble now so I'll leave it there...

I doubt FM will go this route. If the full game was broken up into micro-transactions for features and then starting to charge up to £45 as you say for things a year I think they'd lose a lot of customers. It's more hassle for people. It's also extra work for the devs having to isolate the code so it can work with bits missing here and there, and support would be horrendous because people's setups would be so different. There's enough variation as it is at the moment without introducing another layer of complexity.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying a few pound for the editor if it meant a better product with more features and more support. I should say as well that there is a lot of testing during beta for the editor but stuff does slip through. Some of the issues raised didn't appear in beta, maybe because it took a certain configuration to cause it to break etc.

I like the idea of a "report a bug" feature inside the game, however there would need to be some screening of these reports or the devs and support people will be spending a lot of time getting rid of false-positives.

Starting to ramble now so I'll leave it there...

I do understand that the DLC route is a hard pill to swallow and could be seen as a way of losing customers, but this would actually allow the developers to ensure that bugs are fixed prior to selling new content. Either this, or stop adding new things into the game for a year to let them catch up with the backlog of bugs.

The editor is difficult to beta test because many of the people who would use it are not in the beta! Having a product that has already been paid for would allow you the possibility of opening up a steam beta test for anyone to use. This is one problem the beta tests have - they are closed up to 2 weeks prior to release, and the editor isn't included in the open beta. Have DLC and let those who have purchased the game to beta test the changes.

The report a bug would ensure that if there is a major bug, it could be easily identified by the number of reports that identify the same issue. These could take higher priority than a more obscure bug report that only one person submits. You could also enable the automatic sending of pkm's if the bug is reported from the match engine, saving everyone's time having to faff around with ftp's, which, let's face it, the normal user might struggle to figure out how to use it, or just give up.

I'm quite pleased with the thought of such a feature, I think I'll go and post it in the main GD wishlist!

yes its a cracking idea that, I think the idea of a paid editor is the way to go. Perhaps a basic one with game release as normal, allows you to change players/clubs/nations etc just basic changes only

and then a stand alone editor that allows access to advanced rules and has been correctly developed and beta tested. There is enough regular users here who would all volunteer to be testers and have very good knowledge in how the editor works/should work

I would also like to see all known bugs listed here/bugs forum with clear transparency ie we know what is happening with them, as some are going back to FM13 and still not resolved.

something like

bug- continental squad rules

date submitted-

status- awaiting review/ issue replicated and with DEV team

Timescale- in next patch/resolved in current version ie FM15/unknown

Ability to create new club continental rules without losing the club and country coefficients would be great. Uefa uses a very simple algorithm to calculate coefficients in club tournaments it shouldn't be that hard to implement that into the editor.

yes its a cracking idea that, I think the idea of a paid editor is the way to go. Perhaps a basic one with game release as normal, allows you to change players/clubs/nations etc just basic changes only

and then a stand alone editor that allows access to advanced rules and has been correctly developed and beta tested. There is enough regular users here who would all volunteer to be testers and have very good knowledge in how the editor works/should work

Two editors seems the way to go - a standard data editor like years of old, and a competition editor that can be purchased regardless of edition and is supported separately to the main support phases of the game. As that is the main reason the Editor is in the mess it is in right now - not enough testing, not enough listening to feedback and a lack of clarity over what issues might be fixed.

SI need to get out of these forums and Twitter and follow the way of Paradox Interactive - engaging with the community through YouTube and Twitch. Encourage a conversation, engage in debates and acknowledge both sides of an argument outside of the feedback threads. After all, this is 2014 and you miss out so many people because it is a requirement to use the forums to raise concerns.

also i cant understand they remove some good features from game and add some new without asking community about that. for example league menu-in last years we had sub-menu for league levels with sub-divisions and thats good. know every league is in separate row and thats not good because when you have lot of leagues you cant see anything there.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it would be good to automatic complete some options at the advanced editor, for example:

I create a cup with 8 teams, I select 4 teams to go to the semifinal. I need to correlate the classified teams at the semifinal phase too... It's a bit anoying. Of course, the editor should to have an option to anable and disable that feature.

It will gonna be good too if the advanced editor have prefab templates of the competitions, like the opening/closing stage option (thanks SI).

At the default editor, it would be good to have the possibility to create groups with different team numbers, for example, 9 teams shared in 2 groups, one with 5 and another with 4... As well the possibility to qualy teams for the next phase without the necessity to be pair numbers, for example, 3 teams qualy from 2 groups.

And a larger limit of groups at a competition (sometimes 20 groups are not enough for me :lol: ).

For career plans, can we have option for "does not want or wants to play/manage abroad" instead of adding 1 league after another? This is for smaller leagues mostly but also players from top leagues who realistically will not leave their countries. If the player is abroad this can also trigger him to return home if he's a homesick type with low adaptability.

I would love to have a "Save" and "Replace" function for clubs. That means, that you can save a club with all its informations (incl. players and staff) as an extra file on your HDD and then are able to import this file in an other editorfile/database. The editor of EA's manager had such a function and it was quite useful for me.

Stadium modding so we can scale lower league stands and surrounds to the club.

Currently, even with the massive improvements I would still love to see smaller stadia. Down to the level of a few railings/hoardings for just a few people to attend.

I am very impressed with the stadia progress however, I just would love to see a little more for small stadiums.

Secondly I would love to allow stadia design in the editor, even if it is very simple tweaking rules such as:

-Set Main stand tiers

-Set corner join type, ie joined or not joined

-Set stand present for each side, yes or no for each of North, South, East and West

Just these with a stadium generator behind it to then create the desired capacity within those criteria would be fantastic.

What I am trying to say is how it finally looks is generated by the game but we at least define some of the creation parameters.

yes its a cracking idea that, I think the idea of a paid editor is the way to go.

I would also pay for the editor, it would however cause a rise in the "request thread" count as people who don't want to pay still want content!

Even with that I am still for a paid editor, just enough to cover the improvement/development costs is fine, plus enough to add to the kitty for a round of drinks at the Xmas do?

I would also pay for the editor, it would however cause a rise in the "request thread" count as people who don't want to pay still want content!

Even with that I am still for a paid editor, just enough to cover the improvement/development costs is fine, plus enough to add to the kitty for a round of drinks at the Xmas do?

Yes I also agree with kingrobbo, keep the basic editor free and charge a fee for advanced rules.

Why on earth should (would in your case) you pay for a tool used for editing the game you purchased in the first place!?

I've never seen a game editor being anything other than free. If anything, SI can be thankful for the modding community Football Manager has. Within a month of release, you can find most of the previously unplayable leagues free for download and ready to play. That brings A LOT of new content and much more choices to make when starting a new save.

This seems like a completely random request, but since you are allowed to go crazy and change the number of points awarded for a win, draw, loss, PK win/loss, or Extra Time win/loss in the advanced editor, what about bonus points for goals? I was looking some stuff up the other day, and it turns out the original NASL awarded teams an extra point for each of their first three goals scored in a match.

Why on earth should (would in your case) you pay for a tool used for editing the game you purchased in the first place!?

I've never seen a game editor being anything other than free. If anything, SI can be thankful for the modding community Football Manager has. Within a month of release, you can find most of the previously unplayable leagues free for download and ready to play. That brings A LOT of new content and much more choices to make when starting a new save.

i do not want to pay anymore for the product, I see the only way for the editor to be working correctly is to have the resources to enable that and that unfortunetly means CASH!! what I am stating is have a free basic editor, and then have a more detailed one(like the in game one, no one has to buy it , its an extra option)dealing with advanced rules etc

because as thing stand the editor is not being taken seriously by SI and the product is a let down, and there isnt the staff/interest/pre release testing to resolve the mountain of bugs that are appearing,

my conclusion is money talks they are a business and for a few bucks more, like the RTE I think its worth it, to get the right product

I wish someone else other than SI would step in and produce a product to compete with it

First off I would like to say hello to all as I am new to the forum, I hope I'm posting this in the right thread apologies if not. I was just wondering I have the low leagues on my FM, I want to start a new save as north shields (northern league div 1) I was wondering if there are any databases with players so it will have them on my team and not just the random ones, I think it would be great to see all real names as I go to watch this team regularly and to tell the lads my progress and discuss it with the players would be great!

First off I would like to say hello to all as I am new to the forum, I hope I'm posting this in the right thread apologies if not. I was just wondering I have the low leagues on my FM, I want to start a new save as north shields (northern league div 1) I was wondering if there are any databases with players so it will have them on my team and not just the random ones, I think it would be great to see all real names as I go to watch this team regularly and to tell the lads my progress and discuss it with the players would be great!

this thread is for requests re NEW features you want added to the next version of the editor, yours is an editing question than be done now with the current editor

you can add players missing from the DB easily by creating them from scratch or editing existing players in the DB. to add players as there are only 3 assigned to that club

open db select people on right side of page add tab the rest is straight forward

a tip create players and mass edit for contact etc

Scalable prize money, importance of football to nation, initial tv money, tv money per match, and amount of tv dates. Those based off of one or multiple variables including: league reputation, average sponsorship income, average attendance and nation's world ranking.

The thing I'd like the most would be the ability to edit existing continental competitions - I want to make a very small change to the Gold Cup, and i'm not even able to do that.

you can do that now what do you want to do, make a thread it will get lost here

Scalable prize money, importance of football to nation, initial tv money, tv money per match, and amount of tv dates. Those based off of one or multiple variables including: league reputation, average sponsorship income, average attendance and nation's world ranking.

you can do a lot of that using advanced rules now

Being able to actually define the ages for the rules we set.

Currently we can only set the minimum of players under a set of predefined ages or maximum over predefined ages.

This is 100% young player biased, it would be cool to be able to also have the reverse of those and define the minimum over an age, say 30, 32 or even 35! or a maximum of players under an age.

This would allow us to create 100% over 30s leagues as an extreme, which might not be practical but it would be fun.

It would however allow us to define the mandatory need to have a couple of experienced players in matchday/starting 11.

This does reflect the fact players are competitive to ages well over 30 now and we could make leagues which are haven for talented older players.

If the ability to exclude the goalkeeper in these numbers was also an option it would be even better (ie outfield players only).

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my suggestions.

- Massive change with one simple step - the ability in the editor to change all leagues in world in one simple step. For example, ability to change and make one Transfer windows, that all leagues will obey. Or making all leagues to play the months we like them to play, for example set all leagues in world to play from August to May or march until November, whichever the user will like.

- Ability to create a new nation and adding to Europe without the need to move nations to other continents to make room for the new nation, so that continental cups remain intact.

- More generitic setup for regional boundaries. Meaning instead of defining in the leagues the North, South, East and West boundaries, you put up the region (and allow for this option to be multiple choice, instead only one). For exemaple instead of making south boundary of North league of England is Leicester you choose in the option North League Regions: West Midlands, East Midlands, North West, Yorkshire and the Humber and North East.

- Allow us to create, change and delete the regions as we see fit. I mean this could possible easy for a single option of region of the league instead of multiple like the example above, make a North Region with those smaller regions. I think this would make more dinamic the regionalisation of these leagues and easier to set them up.

- This one of more related to the game then the editor. Please make a GOD version in FM. What i mean is a version in FM with the sole purpose for Editors to try their edit databases, where basically you can see all details of all clubs. The user can't pick a club in this version, since it is for testing the edit databases created. The reason for this is for a more ease way for players to test their databases and see what they need to change and correct them accordingly.

- The editor error detections in the editor still is severely lacking. Most of the time I need to solve the philosophic nature what is written in the error pop-up screen and then go and try to solve it.

- I don't know if anyone will need this, but i think it will come in handy at least for me. A screen that shows the schedule of the leagues your editing, where it shows the league dates, Cup dates, continental dates and International dates, so that a user can adjust more easily the schedule of your edit leagues, to avoid any sort of congestion and the schedule being more balanced on the get go.

- Stadium editor would be nice, since there are so many different designs of stadiums in the world, that in game that different designs doesn't show.

an easier way to make foreign player rules so you can have a maximum foreign players in squad limit i.e bring back the 3 foreigner rule as this is something i really want but don't know how to do it im a big fan of 90's English football / early premier league

an easier way to make foreign player rules so you can have a maximum foreign players in squad limit i.e bring back the 3 foreigner rule as this is something i really want but don't know how to do it im a big fan of 90's English football / early premier league

you can do that now, read FAQ on how to access advanced rules, then find the fixture rule for the comp and edit the squad as you want

I want edit spread of scaut network, change costs for scauting, change, change costs for players who come to your club for try (african player will be more costly for try then player form your country). Change costs for pitch maintance, for other non-football staff, for young academy...match preparations costs....

1.max is there any way implement "clear" button for different records in editor? f.e. when you want to clear regional divisions for lot of clubs-if reg divisions settings are not same for all clubs- you cant see anything and you cant clear that. now i know how to do this with manually editing xml file(i create whole file for that in some xml editor) and thats not problem for me. average user will have to clear reg divisions one by one and thats huge job. this is case also with second nationality for players.

2.when you try to add regional divisions list and you want to do it for 1000 clubs you need very long time because editor is slow. i know this is also related to PC (i have average PC) but when i try to do it for 60-70 clubs at once i need lot of time to add new lines. of course i have solution for this with my manual xml edit but this isnt solution for everybody.

3. is there any chance to have "europe" file in some next version? i know lot of things are hardcoded(coefficients and european club continental qualification) but this is obviously issue because we cant set fixture rules when we make new cont rules. IMO all hardcoded things just make problems so far- i know lot of things cant be set through editor but this is something you guys need to fix in future.

4. verification problem. maybe you should add option to editor to go arround verification because sometimes we just cant verify some complex files because editor have limitation and we get some strange errors. TBH only reliable test is in-game test and verification is good only for beginners. lot of users here dont need verification (i dont use it on my files at all) and my files are tested and without any issues. i know you want to try to fix any issue with verification but problem is when new version is out (like fm15) we can have same errors like in previous versions.

this option can be good for advanced users (beginners can use verification because its good way to learn advanced editor).

i will try to add more ideas here...:thup:

Edit data on nations.

- The percentages of ethnicity for a nation can be edited, so in the case of the Netherlands that could be: 75% north european, 5% south east asian, 10% african/caribean, 5% north african/middle east, 5% mixed race or something similar.

- For each nation you can set percentages for second nations to expect. In case of the Netherlands this would be second nations of Turkish, Moroccan, Curacao/Aruba, Surinam and Indonesian in certain percentages. You can also set the nationalities that are not possible like Bonaire). This together with point 1 determines your regens.

- A link between ethnicity and languages can be set for a specific nation, so player names don't end up a mishmash of two languages, or you get a completely weird name.

- Percentages in hair colour and skin tone can also be set per nation.

- Size and weight ranges can be set for person per nation, or possibly per playing level.

The reason for asking is that although FM generally does a good job I sometimes end up with strange and unrealistic combinations when doing edits.

These changes also make building up a new (custom) nation to your own taste much easier.

Being able to change the column headings without editing panels would be nice, particularly in specific sections searches (e. g. Club Contract> Club> Set default search to organised by reputation.)

The ability to change one thing, and I mean one solitary thing in continental competition rules without losing co-efficients and club history. Like, oh, I don't know, Start date offset.

Set Future loans and managerial/coaching changes.

Any option so Caretaker Managers at the beginning of a new game remain in the Caretaker role for more than about three days.

All of this:

saving files as previous years straight to .xml files

option to edit continental/international advanced rules as easily as nation rules

ability to edit agents and their ownership of players

most importantly a step by step guide on how to use the editor, especially the advanced rules perhaps a tutorial video on this would be the best thing SI could do in future

EDIT: Also, the resizing thing too actually. Scrolling is a nightmare at times.