A Dragons Tale

Wag

A television flickers in the dimly lit front room of our intreped supporter...

Now as we look at the League of Wales, Newtown remain top after their weekend victory over Connah's Quay...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Welsh Premier Division - Saturday 9th February 2002

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Newtown 23 7 4 1 22 9 6 1 4 11 10 44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Connah's Quay 23 5 5 2 12 6 7 1 3 13 6 42

3rd Oswestry Town 23 8 1 2 13 8 5 1 6 11 16 41

4th Haverfordwest 23 6 3 3 15 7 5 4 2 8 8 40

5th T.N. Solutions 23 8 0 4 14 5 5 0 6 9 14 39

6th Aberystwyth Town 23 7 3 2 19 4 3 5 3 9 8 38

7th Afan Lido 23 7 1 3 11 9 5 1 6 10 15 38

8th Caersws 23 6 1 4 15 8 5 3 4 14 8 37

9th Rhyl 23 6 3 2 18 6 4 3 5 8 8 36

10th Cwmbran Town 23 7 3 1 14 4 3 3 6 9 16 36

11th Bangor City 23 4 0 7 9 15 6 4 2 13 7 34

12th Caernarfon Town 23 7 0 5 14 13 2 5 4 8 11 32

13th Carmarthen Town 23 3 3 5 3 9 6 2 4 12 9 32

14th Flexsys Cefn Druids 23 5 3 4 10 9 4 1 6 4 9 31

15th Port Talbot Town 23 3 5 3 7 5 2 3 7 4 13 23

16th Porthmadog 23 2 4 6 5 13 0 4 7 2 13 14

17th Llandudno 23 2 4 6 5 10 0 1 10 4 20 11

18th Barry Town 23 0 2 9 1 12 1 3 8 3 16 8

</pre>

..whilst Barry Town are still bottom of the league after a 1-0 defeat at home to Afan Lido. The Dragons are looking likely to stay there for the reminder of the season if the current poor form continues...Now onto the weather..

A television flickers in the dimly lit front room of our intreped supporter...

Now as we look at the League of Wales, Newtown remain top after their weekend victory over Connah's Quay...

Welsh Premier Division - Saturday 9th February 2002

1st Newtown 23 7 4 1 22 9 6 1 4 11 10 44

2nd Connah's Quay 23 5 5 2 12 6 7 1 3 13 6 42

3rd Oswestry Town 23 8 1 2 13 8 5 1 6 11 16 41

4th Haverfordwest 23 6 3 3 15 7 5 4 2 8 8 40

5th T.N. Solutions 23 8 0 4 14 5 5 0 6 9 14 39

6th Aberystwyth Town 23 7 3 2 19 4 3 5 3 9 8 38

7th Afan Lido 23 7 1 3 11 9 5 1 6 10 15 38

8th Caersws 23 6 1 4 15 8 5 3 4 14 8 37

9th Rhyl 23 6 3 2 18 6 4 3 5 8 8 36

10th Cwmbran Town 23 7 3 1 14 4 3 3 6 9 16 36

11th Bangor City 23 4 0 7 9 15 6 4 2 13 7 34

12th Caernarfon Town 23 7 0 5 14 13 2 5 4 8 11 32

13th Carmarthen Town 23 3 3 5 3 9 6 2 4 12 9 32

14th Flexsys Cefn Druids 23 5 3 4 10 9 4 1 6 4 9 31

15th Port Talbot Town 23 3 5 3 7 5 2 3 7 4 13 23

16th Porthmadog 23 2 4 6 5 13 0 4 7 2 13 14

17th Llandudno 23 2 4 6 5 10 0 1 10 4 20 11

18th Barry Town 23 0 2 9 1 12 1 3 8 3 16 8

</pre>

..whilst Barry Town are still bottom of the league after a 1-0 defeat at home to Afan Lido. The Dragons are looking likely to stay there for the reminder of the season if the current poor form continues...Now onto the weather..

The Paulo Sousa Experience

Imagine if you will, that you support a team who last season were the champions of your domestic league, have just completed a double by winning a cup and the side are scoring goals for fun. Now imagine, what would happen if the entire playing squad was forced to be freed from their contracts due to the club falling into administration. Without the players the club is having to rely on amatuers and youth team players who just arn't up to the job. They're playing their worst season in years, your average crowd is roughly 600 and 23 league games into the season your rooted to the bottom of the league having won just one game all season - taking just eight points from a possible 69. Oh and you've been knocked out of every cup you've entered. Your new chairman has just appointed a complete unknown as manager and the club are reportedly £2million in the red. Now imagine you get a message saying that someone called to tell you Paulo Sousa has signed for your club - how do you react?

Like most Barry Town supporters, my reaction was disbelief. I assumed it was a misprint and that we'd actually signed Ton Pentre's Paul Cousa, or perhaps even Merthyr Tydfil's Robbie Herrera and that there'd been a hideous mistake somewhere. Or any other player who's surname rhymed with Sousa. But obviously not Paulo Sousa. A player I'd admired and even tried to base my game on during my very own ill fated playing career (Abergavenny Thursdays' Reserve Team Second XI starting central midfielder 1993-96). Even unusually close scrutiny of the Thursday night sports programmes and local newspapers did nothing to instil belief. Sure, I wanted to believe, but it's a bit like believing that your favourite band are going to play your local pub - a nice idea but keep dreaming.

We first got to see him at the press conference on Friday 15th February, where he explained that he was as surprised as anyone to to be at Jenner Park, but that our new manager Jamie Waggett who had apparently previously worked with him, had approached him to see if he was interested in reviving his playing career. We also learned that it was a three-year contract, he would be taking on coaching responsibilities at the club and that if the opportunity arrived for him to move to a larger club come the end of the season he would be free to go. Remember, this isn't like Paulo Sousa turning out for an Italian Serie B or English First Division side, this is a man who was a member of the Portuguese side that won the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship. Who at club level had won the Portuguese Cup with Benfica in 1993. Added an Italian League title (1995), the Coppa Italia (1995), an Italian Super Cup (1995) during two seasons with Juventus and the Champions League (1996). And has in 1997 when with Borussia Dortmund won the Champions League for a second time and was also victorious in the Intercontinental Cup. Who had also played for Inter Milan and Parma to name just a few of his former clubs, he'd been regarded as one of the best players in the world a few years previously and was, let's face it, now coming to somewhere he'd probably never even heard of.

It's only when you get into the ground and see him there, in the fetching Yellow and Blue strip - the same tall stance, headband desperately trying to tame that greased long hair, the cool, calm mannerism and that gritty yet elegant playing style that you start to believe it might really be true. Something else too, he is wearing a black armband, yep he's captain. Although as it was he often looked on a different wavelength to most of his team-mates during his debut away at Port Talbot Town, it only took him six minutes to make an impact. He was bossing the midfielder, ok no mean feat against a side just a few places above us in the table but when it's done with such grace and energy that the opposition bench breaks into applause after we score an opening goal then you know it's something special. He picked up a loose ball around the centre circle after breaking down a muted Port Talbot attack and strode forward purposely down the left, then without even looking or breaking stride he delivered a pin-point cross to the far post for another new signing Bulgarian Bontcho Guentchev to volley home. It was a delight to see and I acknowledged Sousa's contribution more than I think others did as they broke into a chant of Bontcho...Bontcho, Bontcho...Bontcho, Bontcho...Bontcho, Bontcho Guentchev along the lines of 2Unlimited's early 90's dirge 'No Limits' or so I'm led to believe. By the second half the small band of travelling away support, so starved of of decent football breaks into a spontaneous applause, as yet another pass finds its target with rapier like vision whilst Sousa looking nonchelant as ever. With the game tied at two-all and looking like a stalemate as it drifted towards the 90 minute mark he picked up a short throw-out from goalkeeper Matt Dickens, cruyff turning his way past an onrushing attacking before chipping a ball delightfully down the right channel for Guentchev to chase before the Portuguese midfielder made his way forward for the return pass. Of course, he gets the ball, advances slightly to the edge of the box before flicking a ball into the box for Chris Price to run on to. It was magic but unfortunately the midfielder's volley struck the outside of the post and the game finished 2-2. He shook his head, adjusted his headband and looked towards the bench before shrugging his shoulders and jogging back to the centre circle. Having endured eight months of crap this season, ninety minutes in the company of Paula Sousa filled me with a childlike enthusiam for the game once again, although the smog filled surroundings of Port Talbot left me feeling a little worse for wear. I doubt he'll be with us for long, but what the hell, if I never saw a game again I don't think it would matter, for I had seen my idol play for Barry Town. I've suddenly remembered what football is all about - bless him and his headband.

God imagine if he scored?!

International Rescue

If I said that I was the supporter of a club who had at last count had 14 foreign players in what was a squad of just 23, you would probably think I followed some English Premiership Club who had got tired of the collapsed local transfer market, the exorbinate fees and/or had suddenly developed some foreign oversees scouts. Well you'd be dead wrong.

You see I support Barry Town. When on the ninth of February Jamie Waggett arrived as manager of the club something strange happened. We were bottom of the League Of Wales and had only three players on our books, and two of them were on loan. Things we're looking bad and if rumours were to be believed we wouldn't be around in our current form for much longer. We had a new chairman in Stuart Lovering though, he had bought the club recently and announced that we would soon have some new faces on the coaching staff. Former Derby County, Atletico Madrid, Yeovil Town, Hereford and Forest Green Rovers manager Colin Addison arrived as Director Of Football and we expected him to look after the teams affairs for a bit until a suitable manager could be found or was cheap enough for us to bring in. We thought he would fill our squad with either ageing journeymen or young untried players from the local leagues or even a mixture of the two but what we got was something quite different to what I think any of us could have ever imagined.

Wagggett, was young, just 30 and didn't have any previous managerial credentials although it was noted that he had been a scout and also previously an agent, who had apparently worked with such Welsh football luminaries as Karl Ready, Michael Meeker, Leon Jeanne as well as former Chelsea goalkeeper Dmitri Kharine, a Russian. Many thought he had just been found and was working as a cover for Addison, which was further fuelled when he bought in veteren centre back James Blackie, a 38 year old Welshman who'd previously played for Cwmbran Town and Ton Pentre as his first signing, not exactly inspiring is it? six English journeymen followed - goalkeepers Matt Dickens (31, 8 league clubs to his name) and Lee Bamber (33, last seen in 1994 at Preston North End). Phil Brumwell a central defender (26, over 200 appearances for Darlington), two midfielders in Warren Donald (37, 7 league clubs and countless other non-league ones) and Chris Price (26, who'd had spells at Everton, Oxford United and Morecambe). The last was striker Robert Taylor (30, and best known for goalscoring spells at Brentford, Gillingham and Leyton Orient but with recent failures at Manchester City, Wolves and QPR). Then on the eve of the new managers first game in charge something crazy happened. A press conference was called to announce some more new signings.

Portuguese playermaker Paulo Sousa arrived as did Spanish right back Félix, Beninian centre back Jean-Marc Adjovi-Boco who was formally with Hibernian and Lens, Bulgarian forward Bontcho Guentchev and former Luton Town left winger Landry Zahana-Oni who was from the Ivory Coast. And two goalkeepers in Dutchman Richard Nass and Greek Giannis Kamitos.

Obviously the signing of Sousa was astounding but the others were quickly dismissed as either over the hill or not as talented as their foreign roots might suggest. Well who hasn't seen it before? the foreign player bought in just to boost revenue? a fancy flick here, a touch of class there before they just disappear back from whence they came with a couple of quid in their pocket after a series of non-existant performances. I must admit even I felt this way, Adjovi-Boco was 38, Guentchev 37 and Kamitos was 35 while the rest either had been at several clubs recently or had never really reached their full potential. Did they even have it? Others followed Frédéric Cissokho - 30 year old French winger, Miles Reingoud - 27 year old Dutch striker, Bruno Gomes - 24 year old Portuguese midfielder and Umberto Marino - 22 year old Italian left winger. Once upon a time having a Scottish or Irish player in the squad seemed kind of exotic but now we had a squad filled with foreign players and just two Welshmen, times-they-were-a-changing.

At first I thought that the only reason behind manager Jamie Waggett's sudden cosmopolitan urge was a preference to sign cheaper foreigners with exotic names to sway the supporters into liking him, but it actually turned out some of these players were quite good. Then some more players arrived but all bar one of these where young, "Prospects" Addison described them as - Kevin Lejeune - a 17 year old French striker, Eric van der Ven - an 18 year old former PSV central midfielder, Martin HÃ¥rby - a 21 year old Danish striker, an English 16 year old - Steven Hogg, a striker and a Dutch right winger who at 33 had previously represented Vitesse Arnham, Sparta Rotterdam, Arsenal and the even had four caps for the Dutch national team - Glenn Helder, remember him?

The Paulo Sousa Experience Part 2 - Once upon a time at Jenner Park

So, four games into his Barry Town career Paulo Sousa - a now recognised Welshman, well according to Barry fans anyway, due in part to his excellent form in previous games, well Paulo got his chance. He never seemed to get into shooting oportunities and hads never been known to score goals - just six in a twelve year career in fact. It was pissing it down and we were playing Llandudno at Home. Robert Taylor had seen us into a 2-1 lead with the 99th and 100th goals of his career, the first a stunning solo goal where he beat three men before burying a 30 yarder and then getting on the end of another Sousa pass to slide home from just inside the box.

Seventy-four minutes were on the referees watch as Sousa received a pass just inside the centre circle, without looking up he darted upfield and played the ball into Taylor's feet as he looked for a one-two, it didn't happen though as Taylor was dragged to the ground by Richards, the referee awarding a freekick. Our hero Paulo picked up the loose ball and set it down some 25 yards from goal, slightly to the left of the 'D', the drizzle stopped for a second as he looked down at the ball and then towards the goal, he took one step back before chipping the ball over the wall, the ball curves arrow like away from the goalkeepers grasp and nestles perfectly into the bottom corner of the net.

He runs behind the goal before turning, and running down the sideline towards the bench. He salutes the supporters before he slides the last 10 yards on his knees. The team mob him and grown men in the crowd express a wish to carry his children. After the match, which we win 3-1, Paulo collected his 'Man of the Match' award and is quoted as saying "I dedicate that performance to the fans." I know that I'll die a happy man, for I have seen Paulo Sousa score for Barry Town.

Bob and Bontcho, Bontcho and Bob

To say we had an odd looking strike partnership would be an understatment. Robert 'Bob' Taylor stood over 6 ft tall and weighed in at around 13 stone. 'Bob' has always been the workhorse type of striker but he also had the ability to creating chances for others whilst also scoring goals himself, obviously this was always going to be a big asset. He was aggressive but stylish and scored goals for fun during a spell at Brentford in the mid 1990's. Spells at Gillingham, Manchester City, Wolves and QPR saw his career falter though and when he found himself injured whilst playing a on short term contract at Grimsby it looked like his career was over, that was until we stepped in.

On the other hand his strike partner Bontcho Guentchev was 5 ft 10 and around 9 stone. Bontcho began his playing career at Etur in his home country of Bulgaria and his eye-catching performances were enough for a larger local side - Lokomotiv - to take on board the talented midfielder. From here he blossomed and Bulgarian giants CSKA Sofia tabled a bid which saw Bontcho move into the big time. His rapid success was causing a stir in Bulgaria as Bontcho was called up for the Bulgarian Under-21 side, and, after two years with CSKA, he moved abroad for the first time where another large club - Sporting Lisbon - took on the gifted midfield dynamo. His time in Portugal saw him drop out of contention for a place in the Bulgarian national team, but another move, this time to England, saw his chances of representing his country improve.

It was Premier League Ipswich Town who snapped up the attacking midfield for £250,000 in December 1992 and he became an instant hero with the Ipswich faithful for his dynamic and creative performances. His time at Portman Road saw him score eleven goals in 75 appearances. However, his game was based around beating defenders and setting up the chances. His performances for the Suffolk outfit saw him called up to the Bulgarian national side and he was lucky enough to be amongst the final squad of 22 players which travelled to the United States in the World Cup in 1994. Sadly Bontcho was released but found himself playing for Luton Town, he scored on his debut but his time there was mixed although he did well enough to earn a place in the Bulgarian squad for European Championship Finals, held in England.

Bontcho was out of football for a brief spell after being given a free transfer by Lennie Lawrence at the end of the 1996-97 season, but he started to play semi-professionally with Ryman Premier Division side Hendon. After starring in the Hendon side and coaching the clubs youngsters for four seasons he decided to leave though and somehow ended up at Barry.

They both arrived at the club around the same time and together they formed one of the strangest yet in a way best partnerships I've seen at Jenner Park for quite a while. Their first game together was a 2-2 draw away to Port Talbot - Guentchev scored with-in six minutes of his debut, a crisp volley from a Paulo Sousa cross whilst Taylor went close with a few headers and showed some excellent touches. Taylor really announced himself to the fans in the second game, a 1-0 win away at Carmarthen Town, the striker picked the ball up around twenty yards out and unleashed a left footed piledriver that 'keeper Tony Pennock got knowhere near, it was brilliant and he kissed the clubs badge in celebration. Guentchev was quiet in the next game their first in front of the home faitful but we won again 2-0 against Oswestry Town, Taylor getting the second with a low drive.

Game 4 saw a 4-1 win at home against Llandudno - Taylor scored twice, the second was his 100 goal of his career. Guentchev was involved in both crossing for the big man to smash home and then finding Paulo Sousa in space for his second. Game 5 was a quiet affair for Taylor, we win 2-1 at home against Cwmbran Town - Guentchev scoring a superb diving header to send us into an 8th minute lead. To say it was going well would be an understatment but game six showed they could have off days a 2-0 defeat to Connah's Quay Nomands saw them both fail to create or take chances and although in the next game Guentchev scored another good header but we ended up losing 2-1 at home to league leaders Haverfordwest, however, we were off the bottom of the table going into the last four games of the season and that was all that mattered for now. Neither of them may play that many games for us beyond this season but they'll always be remembered by me for some brilliant interplay and some wonderful goals. What more could you ask for from a strikeforce?

The Little Dragon

Some say every successful team needs at least one 'battler' in midfield, one leathery, hard bastard who elbows and nuts his way through the opposition strikers before his hobnailed boot emerges from a pile of bodies and scuffs the ball home from two yards. And there are others who argue that this sort of player is all well and good, but you also need to have at least one 'creative' player some willowy slip of a lad who stifled a yawn before skipping past bonecrunching tackles and playing a devastating 40 yard pass with the outside of his boot.

But what if you had all that in one player? When Chris Price arrived at Jenner Park on the 14th of February 2002 I was at best apathetic about the move, even letting out a Chris who? Our lacklustre league form had seen us sink to the bottom of the league and Price was one of a number of signings made my new manager Jamie Waggett in the hope of turning the tide. Although we were only three points adrift of 17th placed Llandudno the local press had already written us off. Needed: The Spine Back That We Shat Out At Xmas was the quite frankly disturbing headline of one such piece. I missed his debut - a 2-2 draw at Port Talbot but he did well, scoring from all accounts a quite stunning solo effort to send us into 2-1 half time lead.

It would seem that I had seriously underestimated Price's qualities. He was a combative ball-winner, true, but he also had skill, flair and, most importantly of all passion. Never before have I seen such passion from one single player. He oozed it and every time he pulled on the yellow and blue shirt of Barry Town you could tell, he wasn't Welsh but before long we had adopted him and he became known as the 'Little Dragon', due to his short stature but also tenacious ability. Sometimes he had quiet games but he was nontheless effective and scored his second goal for the club in a 2-1 win at home to Cwmbran, blasting home a loose ball from just inside the six yard box before running over to where I was standing and kissing the badge. He was all action and the only player to really come out of the following four defeats with any dignity.

He had something few other players at the club possessed, the capacity to turn a match with a moment of brilliance - and his refusal to give up even the most hopeless of cause lifted his team-mates to often new heights. He was an ever present under Waggett but all in all he had only played 11 games for Barry Town that season scoring 3 and assisting 2 as we finished in 17th place in the league, but his overall impact was clear to see. He was a constant thorn in every side we played plans, although his team mates often left him wanting. He was to be fair the perfect foil for Paulo Sousa in the centre of midfield, I'm positively moist at the thought of them spraying passes together in the centre of midfield next season, especially as they'll have the benefit of a full pre-season.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, the little Dragon had shown us how.

It wasn't the best of seasons but we'd been spared the embaressment of finishing bottom of the table and In my eyes at least there was much to build on..

Welsh Premier Division 2001/2 Table

1st C Newtown 34 11 4 2 36 16 8 2 7 22 22 63

2nd Haverfordwest 34 10 4 3 27 11 8 5 4 17 18 63

3rd Caersws 34 10 3 4 27 10 7 6 4 24 14 60

4th Aberystwyth Town 34 11 3 3 27 7 5 8 4 19 17 59

5th T.N. Solutions 34 11 2 4 26 13 8 0 9 16 22 59

6th Connah's Quay 34 7 7 3 19 10 8 3 6 20 17 55

7th Oswestry Town 34 11 1 5 23 16 6 2 9 15 23 54

8th Rhyl 34 9 5 3 27 12 5 5 7 13 15 52

9th Afan Lido 34 10 2 5 22 20 5 3 9 18 28 50

10th Cwmbran Town 34 8 6 3 24 15 5 3 9 20 27 48

11th Carmarthen Town 34 8 3 6 11 13 6 2 9 12 21 47

12th Bangor City 34 6 2 9 26 30 7 5 5 21 20 46

13th Flexsys Cefn Druids 34 9 3 5 23 15 4 3 10 12 21 45

14th Port Talbot Town 34 4 9 4 18 16 5 4 8 14 21 40

15th Caernarfon Town 34 7 3 7 22 23 3 7 7 15 24 40

16th Porthmadog 34 3 4 10 12 24 2 7 8 11 21 26

17th Barry Town 34 3 4 10 10 17 2 4 11 7 27 23

18th Llandudno 34 3 6 8 12 18 0 2 15 10 34 17

Barry Town Squad 2001/02

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Adjovi-Boco, Jean-Marc SW/D RC BEN 22.12.63 38 - - £210 9.5.05 £6K

- Bamber, Lee GK ENG 31.10.68 33 - - £90 9.5.05 £6K

- Blackie, James D RC WAL 17.4.63 39 - - £150 9.5.05 £6K

- Brumwell, Phil D RC ENG 8.8.75 26 - - £200 9.5.06 £40K

- Bruno Gomes M C POR 1.2.78 24 - - £210 9.5.06 £40K

- Cissokho, Frédéric F RL FRA 19.4.71 31 - - £200 9.5.05 £30K

- Dickins, Matt GK ENG 3.9.70 31 - - £200 9.5.05 £45K

- Donald, Warren M RLC ENG 7.10.64 37 - - £200 9.5.05 £6K

- Félix D/M R ESP 27.3.72 30 - - £200 9.5.05 £50K

- Guentchev, Bontcho AM/F R BGR 7.7.64 37 11 - £190 9.5.05 £6K

- Hårby, Martin S C DEN 4.5.80 21 - - £100 13.5.05 £30K

- Helder, Glenn AM/F R HOL 28.10.68 33 4 - £200 9.5.05 £28K

- Hogg, Steven S C ENG 1.10.85 16 - - £65 26.5.05 £24K

- Hughes, David D C WAL 1.2.78 24 - - £200 30.6.03 £85K

- Kamitos, Giannis GK GRE 20.2.67 35 - - £90 9.5.05 £10K

- Lejeune, Kévin S C FRA 22.1.85 17 - - £90 13.5.05 £55K

- Marino, Umberto M L ITA 17.3.79 23 - - £210 14.5.05 £28K

- Martin, Glyn D/DM L WAL 27.1.84 18 - - £200 Rolling £6K

- Nass, Richard GK HOL 17.10.73 28 - - £190 9.5.06 £16K

- Paulo Sousa DM C POR 30.8.70 31 48 5 £210 9.5.05 £45K

- Price, Chris M C ENG 24.10.75 26 - - £190 9.5.06 £50K

- Reingoud, Miles S C HOL 18.9.74 27 - - £230 12.5.03 £60K

- Taylor, Robert S C ENG 30.4.71 30 - - £90 9.5.05 £16K

- Zahana-Oni, Landry AM L CIV 27.11.76 25 - - £210 14.5.05 £40K

- van der Ven, Eric M C HOL 15.2.84 18 - - £110 13.5.05 £35K

2001/2 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

- Adjovi-Boco, Jean-Marc 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 7.27

- Bamber, Lee - - - - - - - - ----

- Blackie, James 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Brumwell, Phil 11 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5.73

- Bruno Gomes 0 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Cissokho, Frédéric 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Dickins, Matt 11 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 6.91

- Donald, Warren 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.50

- Félix 11 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.45

- Guentchev, Bontcho 11 3 0 0 1 0 0 1 6.73

- HÃ¥rby, Martin - - - - - - - - ----

- Helder, Glenn 10 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.10

- Hogg, Steven - - - - - - - - ----

- Hughes, David 46 2 0 1 (0) 0 3 1 2 7.13

- Kamitos, Giannis - - - - - - - - ----

- Lejeune, Kévin - - - - - - - - ----

- Marino, Umberto - - - - - - - - ----

- Martin, Glyn 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

- Nass, Richard - - - - - - - - ----

- Paulo Sousa 9 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 7.11

- Price, Chris 11 3 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.45

- Reingoud, Miles 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Taylor, Robert 11 4 0 0 0 1 0 1 7.45

- Zahana-Oni, Landry 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.33

- van der Ven, Eric 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 8.00

2001/2 Transfers

Date Player In From Fee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

13.2.02 Robert Taylor Free Transfer Free

13.2.02 Richard Nass Free Transfer Free

13.2.02 James Blackie Free Transfer Free

13.2.02 Frédéric Cissokho Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Bruno Gomes Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Matt Dickins Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Félix Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Paulo Sousa Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Chris Price Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Bontcho Guentchev Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Phil Brumwell Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Giannis Kamitos Free Transfer Free

14.2.02 Warren Donald Free Transfer Free

15.2.02 Jean-Marc Adjovi-Boco Free Transfer Free

15.2.02 Lee Bamber Free Transfer Free

16.2.02 Miles Reingoud Free Transfer Free

17.2.02 Kévin Lejeune Free Transfer Free

18.2.02 Glenn Helder Free Transfer Free

18.2.02 Martin HÃ¥rby Free Transfer Free

18.2.02 Eric van der Ven Free Transfer Free

19.2.02 Landry Zahana-Oni Free Transfer Free

20.2.02 Umberto Marino Free Transfer Free

3.3.02 Steven Hogg Free Transfer Free

</pre>

...Waggett's first full season in charge was certainly going to be an interesting new start for the club, but how long would it last?

Summertime Blues

Whilst Argentina were winning the World Cup in Japan Jamie Waggett was a very busy man, with several new signings arriving as he looked to refresh and strenghthen the squad that he had built towards the end of last season. Several trialists also made fleeting appearences at the Jenner Park League of Nations training camp.

It started with the arrival of Hasselbaink, much to the delight of the fans, although it actually turned out to be his brother Carlos, a 33-year old striker who signed a one year contract after playing for a number of Dutch clubs without making much impact. Two English left backs who everyone thought had retired also joined in the shape of Darren Evans and Lee Martin formerly of Manchester United and Celtic. It was a change of tact when two more Englishmen arrived, both on frees, both youngsters - former Manchester United trainee Fabien Brandy - a striker and a right back in Wayne Baker.

It was back to the norm though when some more foreign players arrived, 16 year old French defender Matthieu Debuchy and Jonathan García García, a 19 year old Spaniard who was a versatile midfielder.

They were followed by Mikkjal Thomassen a 26 year old defensive midfielder from the Faroe Islands and Icelandic central midfielder Sveinn Ari Gudjónsson.

While trialists Thomas Schlüter, Ahmed Maharzi, Armand Benneker, Toninho Cavaleiro, Louie Donowa and Leeroy Echteld all failed to make the grade during their short summer spell with the club, but there was still time for one last signing, possibly the biggest name in Belgium football - centre back - Jonas Vandermarliere (nineteen letters), my fellow supporters and I waited with baited breath...

• 1 month later...

Bloody Foreigners!

To say the first month of the season was a disappointment would be a massive understatment, in our two league games we failed to win a game and were struggling in the League Cup. The new signings were hardly given a chance but when they did play they failed to impress and most looked either too lightweight or just not in touch with the speed of the game, as often seems to be the case when players come into a new side and even more so country. Guentchev had been dropped from the first team, he made fleeting appearences but it appeared his days were numbered, if he left he'd be sorely missed as we don't seem to have another forward quite like him at the club. We collectively crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

The misery on the field continued in September with a 3-1 defeat against Porthmadog at home before we bowed out of the League Cup, although we managed to get our first win of the season in our final game of the group, with Bontcho and Bob reunited and both scoring. It couldn't be replicated in the league though as we drew 0-0 at home against Connah's Quay. I was miserable, mainly down to the clubs plight and even the ever dependable Chris Price was struggling to make an impact. Greek goalkeeper Giannis Kamitos was released during the second week of the month, he never even made the bench and seemed to have gained at least four stone in weight when he waddled of into the sunset, he hadn't been a success at the club and it was rumoured others would follow. Two of Waggett's preseason signings Mikkjal Thomassen and Sveinn Ari Gudjónsson had yet to make an appearence either, although talk of injury problems and a rumoured nightclub fight could have had something to do with it.

All the more worrying though was the clubs apparent lack of funds, some were saying we were now as much as £3,000,000 in debt and it was ever increasing. This club needed a boost from somewhere and fast. It truly was a miserable time to be a Barry supporter and a 2-0 win at home to Cwmbran Town, certainly lifted spirits - Dutch goalkeeper Richard Nass made his debut, coming on as a subtitute after Matt Dickens had been sent off and then saving a penalty before Price and Taylor both scored was hoped to have been a turning point. Who knows it just might be?

What a difference a save makes

If Richard Nass' penalty save was the turning point of our season then it was a shame that he didn't stick around to enjoy it, the Cwmbran game being his only appearence for the club, two days later he left the club, making a move back to Holland to join to MVV for £16k. A Paulo Sousa inspired 3-1 away win at Afan Lido did much to further this claim as we started October with a bang, the result taking us to the lofty position of tenth and then after two 0-0 draws with Rhyl and Port Talbot respectively, up to eighth. The turnaround had been remarkable but we just hoped it would continue.

The loss of Paulo Sousa and Chris Price to long term injuries was a problem though and with the untried Mikkjal Thomassen and Sveinn Ari Gudjónsson in midfield it was thought we might lose our impetus but both performed well in the 3-2 win at Aberystwth, Sveinn scoring the winner from a yard out. Where September had seen nothing but poor performances, somehow we'd gone October unbeaten.

In November the form continued with a 1-1 draw at home against Newtown, Bontcho Guentchev scoring a 90th minute equaliser after threatening several times before, although the game was marred by first the loss of Darren Evans and then his replacement Lee Martin, thus meaning the club were without a recognised fit left back. Another draw this time 2-2, away to Flexsys Cefn Druids saw a cult hero emerge - Sveinn Ari Gudjónsson taking the game by the scruff of the neck and scoring two superb long range strikes to keep us in the game. One midfielder who wouldn't be making an impact at the club though was Eric van der Ven, the young Dutchman joining Helmond Sport for £100k.

Our unbeaten run ended towards the end of November though despite scoring twice at home Haverfordwest scored three, it was unfortunate but what goes up must come down I guess. We ended the month with a 0-0 away at Oswestry and everything was back to normal. All throughout this time the manager Jamie Waggett had been quiet, assistant David Hughes or Colin Addison took the press conferences and gave soundbites, it was all becoming very surreal, although the fans didn't seem to mind as long as the teams recent form continued and to be perfectly honest neither did I.

• 2 weeks later...

Carlos Kickaball

Everyone has their own opinion about which players could truly be classed as entertainers, the ones who send a shiver of excitement through the crowd whenever they touch the ball. But as far as Barry Town supporters go I'll bet there's a name who wouldn't feature on any list, one of the most extraordinary players ever to pull on a Dragons shirt - Carlos Hasselbaink.

Carlos may have had many (many, many, many, many) faults, but when he left the club at the end of February 2003 after being released from the final two months of his contract I felt a great sadness. He had frustrated and infuriated me during his few fleeting appearences for the club, but he also helped me realise just how important hurling abuse at your own players is to the experience of being a football supporter. In what was another dour season in the recent world of the New Dragons (tough on thrills, tough on the causes of thrills) he summed up, in his few starts, what was essentially wrong with the club. He was just one of a number of new players bought in by the manager during the preseason who had failed to make any kind of impact, and when they did play, it was laughable - well better to laugh than cry, that's really how bad they were.

Carlos arrived at the club in a blaze of publicity, Jimmy Floyd's older brother, a similar type of player, packed with pace and with a powerful shot. But it soon became obvious that Carlos' repertoire was limited to just that, he could run very fast, but only without the ball and his shooting although very powerful only seemed to trouble ballboys, carpark attendants and those standing close to the corner flags. Other players will be remembered for goals, Carlos for his misses - although he only made his few fleeting appearences the number of chances he wasted were unbelievable - his last chance came against Port Talbot Town on the 22nd of February, the match was also Barry's final of a month, the culmination of which had seen us not win in eleven games and slip to 14th place in the League of Wales. Oh, and we'd lost to the mighty Airbus UK 5-4 on penalties in the 4th round of the Welsh Cup.

Other players also left the club in his time - Bruno Gomes, a Portuguese midfielder who Addison had raved about disappeared back to Portugal for £35k after making only two substitute appearences. Sixteen year old forward Steve Hogg went to Arbroath for £20k, French defender Matthieu Debuchy to FC Groningen for £9k, another Dutchman - striker Miles Reingoud agreed a pre-contract to Caersws while Umberto Marino and Jonathan García García were released without playing a single game for the club, maybe Waggett was getting bored of his foreign forrays into the transfer market?.

Whilst non of the players could have altered what was going on, on the field the shock retirement of influential midfielder Sveinn Ari Gudjonsson (9 goals in just 13 games for the club) and loss of Paulo Sousa, Chris Price and then Bob Taylor to long term injuries surely can't have helped, but anyway back to Carlos and his incredible ability to fuu]k up in front of goal. The game was being played at Port Talbot's Victoria Road and as usual it was raining, Glenn Helder - one foreign import who has made an impact beat his man before setting off from just inside his own half, swivelling for a moment he turned back and set off down the right flank instead surgeing past a wide midfielder as he looked to get closer to the penalty area, looking up he sighted 'Our Hero' Carlos making his way towards the penalty spot and whipped in a cross.

Carlos bought the ball down with aplomb and turned inside his man. He was one on one with keeper Gary Wager, he took another touch before dummying and pivoting his way to the left of the keeper, Wager went right and Carlos had an open goal, he closed his eyes and rolled the ball towards the goal. The small away support looked on in amazement, was Carlos finally going to break his duck? was he fuck? somehow Carlos managed to mishit his shot completely, dragging his effort wide across the goal and out of play from the easiest of angles. He put his hand on his forehead and looked at the fans behind the goal, I think he knew it was over as soon as he took the shot. I felt sorry for him, it wasn't that he didn't try hard - he was just shit

[This message was edited by Wag on 19 April 2004 at 22:30.]

• 2 weeks later...

The Loan Dragon

The month started with the club announcing that it was starting earn a profit again and that Waggett would be able to make moderate signings come the summer, although the club was still looking to address the debt that had been mounting up. It was good news and the club "celebrated" with a 0-0 draw at home to Aberystwyth.

We had a new player on our books for the very next game, a young striker called David LeGrand, 18, he made his debut after joining on loan from Wrexham in a 1-0 home defeat to Flexsys Cefn Druids. He had his moments though going close six times but former Welsh keeper Andy Marriott stopped them all. The club had slipped to fifteenth but LeGrand had made an instant impression with his fast direct running and shoot on site philosophy, the game also saw another piece of good news the return of Bob Taylor.

His second start saw a different side to his game as he helped us to a 3-0 win at 4th placed Newtown, Paulo Sousa scored his second for the club from a 30 yard freekick before LeGrand crossed for Bob Taylor to volley home a second, after that it was LeGrand again causing problems as he was taken out in the box, Cissokho burying the resulting penalty. He was also involved in one final piece of action, former Barry right back Andrew York was shown a straight red for hacking down the spritely striker two minutes from time. The only thing missing from his game was a goal..the game also saw the debut of Belgium defender Jonas Vandermarliere, his composed but effective style gave the defence a settled look.

LeGrand missed the next game against Oswestry Town at Jenner Park due to a slight ankle injury but fortunately he wasn't missed as we were offered a glimpse of what is perhaps a bright future with young French striker Kévin Lejeune scoring one and setting up another in a 4-3 win, he was partnered by another young striker Fabien Brandy, who also scored, Bontcho Guentchev and the increasingly influential Cissokho scoring the others. and nor did he recover in time for the 2-1 away defeat at Carmarthen Town, Chris Price scoring a late consolation.

He was back for the 1-0 win at home to Llandudno though, being bought down for the free-kick from which Paulo Sousa curled home after just four minutes, in fairness he had been rushed back but could have had at least two goals. He's a raw prospect but with a little bit of composure and alot of hardwork he could be a gem and it was a brilliant, when the club revealed the news that David had agreed to join the club when his contract ran out in the summer, we'd have to pay £8k but despite the lack of goals it looked like it would be worth it.

He did however, finally get his goal and it came in the last match of the season, we were away to Bangor City and he'd already tested their keeper Tony Dickenson before his fourth minute strike. He seized on a mistake by seasoned veteren Clayton Blackmore and drilled the ball home from the edge of the box, it is the first of what is hoped will be many goals for us. We won the match 3-1 in the end, left back Lee Martin, only making his second start for the club, scoring a hattrick of sorts, he managed to level things up with an own-goal just before half time but quickly made amends driving home from an acute angle on the stroke of half time then hitting a well placed drive in off the post minutes after the break.

The result lifted us to 14th place and just one defeat in the five games gave us some hope for the future success, although much will depend on how well the management buys in the summer but in Man of the Match LeGrand, we hoped we'd finally found the man to take us there.

fourteenth wasn't where we wanted to finish but it showed at least we could compete again and we were hopeful of building on the foundations that seemed to be appearing...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Welsh Premier Division 2002/3 Table

1st C Haverfordwest 34 10 3 4 29 19 11 3 3 31 18 69

2nd Caersws 34 11 5 1 32 12 7 5 5 18 17 64

3rd Newtown 34 9 4 4 27 21 9 4 4 33 26 62

4th Bangor City 34 9 5 3 36 21 8 3 6 27 20 59

5th Port Talbot Town 34 10 2 5 31 16 6 6 5 23 20 56

6th T.N. Solutions 34 11 3 3 24 13 4 6 7 27 31 54

7th Connah's Quay 34 9 3 5 27 26 6 4 7 21 26 52

8th Carmarthen Town 34 11 4 2 38 17 4 2 11 22 34 51

9th Caernarfon Town 34 10 3 4 30 20 4 6 7 20 22 51

10th Porthmadog 34 7 6 4 25 22 7 2 8 21 24 50

11th Rhyl 34 8 4 5 25 18 4 6 7 19 26 46

12th Flexsys Cefn Druids 34 5 4 8 25 28 7 2 8 22 26 42

13th Aberystwyth Town 34 7 4 6 23 23 4 4 9 18 29 41

14th Barry Town 34 4 7 6 17 19 5 6 6 25 21 40

15th Afan Lido 34 4 5 8 25 30 5 6 6 18 19 38

16th Cwmbran Town 34 3 5 9 18 30 4 4 9 16 30 30

17th Oswestry Town 34 4 4 9 18 24 2 2 13 20 42 24

18th Llandudno 34 2 3 12 16 32 1 3 13 10 35 15 </pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Barry Town Squad 2002/03

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Adjovi-Boco, Jean-Marc SW/D RC BEN 22.12.63 39 2 - £210 19.5.06 £6K

- Baker, Wayne D/DM R ENG 6.4.83 20 - - £120 8.5.06 £14K

- Bamber, Lee GK ENG 31.10.68 34 - - £90 9.5.05 £8K

- Blackie, James D RC WAL 17.4.63 40 - - £150 9.5.05 £4K

- Brandy, Fabien F C ENG 17.2.87 16 - - £65 27.5.05 £14K

- Brumwell, Phil D RC ENG 8.8.75 27 - - £200 9.5.06 £40K

- Cissokho, Frédéric F RL FRA 19.4.71 32 - - £200 9.5.05 £24K

- Dickins, Matt GK ENG 3.9.70 32 - - £200 9.5.05 £30K

- Donald, Warren M RLC ENG 7.10.64 38 - - £200 9.5.05 £4K

- Evans, Darren D/DM L ENG 30.9.74 28 - - £180 11.5.05 £30K

- Félix D/M R ESP 27.3.72 31 - - £200 9.5.05 £50K

- Guentchev, Bontcho AM/F R BGR 7.7.64 38 11 - £190 9.5.05 £6K

- Hårby, Martin S C DEN 4.5.80 22 - - £100 13.5.05 £26K

- Helder, Glenn AM/F R HOL 28.10.68 34 4 - £200 9.5.05 £16K

- Hughes, David D C WAL 1.2.78 25 - - £200 30.6.03 £70K

- LeGrand, David S C ENG 2.4.84 19 - - £130 18.5.03 £1K

- Lejeune, Kévin S C FRA 22.1.85 18 - - £90 13.5.05 £40K

- Martin, Lee D L ENG 5.2.68 35 - - £180 6.5.05 £4K

- Paulo Sousa DM C POR 30.8.70 32 48 5 £210 9.5.05 £45K

- Price, Chris M C ENG 24.10.75 27 - - £190 9.5.06 £55K

- Reingoud, Miles S C HOL 18.9.74 28 - - £230 12.5.03 £2K

- Taylor, Robert S C ENG 30.4.71 31 - - £90 9.5.05 £18K

- Thomassen, Mikkjal DM RC FRO 12.1.76 27 - - £200 7.5.05 £30K

- Vandermarliere, Jonas D C BEL 7.3.86 17 - - £90 20.5.05 £14K

- Zahana-Oni, Landry AM L CIV 27.11.76 26 - - £210 14.5.05 £26K

2002/3 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

- Adjovi-Boco, Jean-Marc 34 0 0 0 0 5 1 1 7.15

- Baker, Wayne - - - - - - - - ----

- Bamber, Lee 30 0 35 0 0 0 0 0 6.93

- Blackie, James 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.00

- Brandy, Fabien 8 (2) 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.80

- Brumwell, Phil 2 (3) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.20

- Cissokho, Frédéric 33 4 0 2 (2) 0 2 0 0 6.52

- Dickins, Matt 10 (1) 0 11 0 0 0 1 1 6.82

- Donald, Warren 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Evans, Darren 33 (1) 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6.65

- Félix 40 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.70

- Guentchev, Bontcho 31 (3) 8 0 1 (1) 3 1 0 0 6.79

- HÃ¥rby, Martin 4 (3) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.14

- Helder, Glenn 32 4 0 0 9 1 0 5 7.50

- Hughes, David 35 0 0 0 1 3 0 1 7.31

- LeGrand, David 4 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.75

- Lejeune, Kévin 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.50

- Martin, Lee 2 (1) 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.67

- Paulo Sousa 30 2 0 0 3 0 0 2 7.13

- Price, Chris 24 (1) 3 0 0 3 4 0 0 6.76

- Reingoud, Miles 1 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.33

- Taylor, Robert 31 9 0 0 6 1 0 4 7.29

- Thomassen, Mikkjal 13 (1) 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 6.43

- Vandermarliere, Jonas 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

- Zahana-Oni, Landry 9 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.10

2002/3 Transfers

Date Player In From Fee

12.6.02 Mikkjal Thomassen Free Transfer Free

12.6.02 Wayne Baker Free Transfer Free

10.7.02 Lee Martin Free Transfer Free

18.7.02 Sveinn Ari Guðjónsson Free Transfer Free

22.7.02 Jonathan García García Free Transfer Free

18.3.03 David LeGrand Wrexham Loan

Date Player Out To Fee

9.7.02 Glyn Martin Released Free

14.9.02 Giannis Kamitos Released Free

2.10.02 Paul Robinson Released Free

2.10.02 Richard Nass MVV £16K

10.11.02 Eric van der Ven Helmond £100K

15.12.02 Bruno Gomes U. Lamas £35K

17.12.02 Steven Hogg Arbroath £20K

30.12.02 Matthieu Debuchy Groningen £9K

15.2.03 Jonathan García García Released Free

15.2.03 Umberto Marino Released Free

27.2.03 Carlos Hasselbaink Released Free</pre>

• 3 weeks later...

Shifting Times - Part 1

The Summer gave us an interesting pre season for all involved or connected with Barry Town, after some surprisingly cathartic criticism of the team in the previous two seasons, supporter unrest had grown, this was mostly directed at the foreigners who had come in and underperformed, although somewhat unfairly criticised in my eyes were a few. Because where some failed others triumphed and proved to be great players for the club sadly nearly all of them decided enough was enough and retired during the summer. All in somewhat Virgin Suicides fashion...

The first to go was Jean-Marc Adjovi, he'd joined the club right at start of Waggett's tenure and proved to be an excellent signing. He was the perfect centreback - calm, composed and an excellent man-marker. All in all he played forty-five games for the club, failing to register a goal but ever imposing. He even managed to win his first cap for Benin such was his form and when he retired at 39 he'd added another four, captaining the nation on his final appearence. He will be missed on the field but will continue to perform for the club after taking up an offer to become the club's youth team coach, something he accepted with open arms.

The biggest name to go was always going to be Paulo Sousa, somehow we'd managed to keep him for two seasons but is was somewhat of a surprise when he did decide to call it a day, after all he was only 32 but recent injuries and wanting to return to his native Portugal didn't help matters. During his time at the club he'd coached and helped improve standards on the pitch from a deep playmaking central midfield role, he appeared thirty-nine times for Barry scoring three goals and creating numerous others. He got his wish to return to Portugal as well, joining C.F. Estrela da Amadora with a £20k compensation fee softening the blow. Goalkeeper Lee Bamber took his place on the coaching staff.

Another shock was Glenn Helder, who decided the League of Wales wasn't for him minutes after recieving the clubs Player of the Season award, he appeared forty-two times in the yellow and blue shirt, scoring five goals and assisting nine times, he was an exciting right winger who caused every team we played problems with his dribbling and crossing ability, joining him was left winger Frédéric Cissokho, the Frenchman had only really made his break through this season turning in a string of good performancs. He played thirty-five games for Barry scoring four goals (two from the penalty spot) and was more of a steady, hardworking but nontheless creative player to the attacking exuberance of Helder. And the retirements didn't stop there...

Bontcho Guentchev decided it was finally time to put the boots away at the age of 38, he had become a crowd favourite and he will be greatly missed by all supporters at the club and many who don't such was his impact at the club, he played a total of forty-five games scoring 11 goals in the process although many recently had been as a substitute, he was a brilliant player, who sadly just came to the club too old, it would have been amazing to see him in his prime but such is life.

With the loss of Bontcho we got another blow when his regular strike partner Bob Taylor decided it was time to go as well, Bob really was a talismanic figure for the club, scoring some vitally important goals and always proving a thorn in defenders sides with his sharp but patient hold up play. At 32, he may have gone young but he left a legacy of thirteen goals in forty-two games, not a bad strike rate for someone who suffered badly with niggling groin and knee injuries throughout his time at the club.

Someone else who suffered badly was left back Lee Martin who retired at the age of 35, although he only played three games for the club but scored twice. He was a popular figure and was always smiling despite spending much of his time injured or on the sidelines but when he broke his left leg in training it was just a step to far. The last player to retire was also a defender 40 year old Welsh central defender James Blackie, like Lee he only played 3 games for the club but was an experienced figure and important in providing competition for places in the early days of Waggett's spell in charge.

As well as the retirements a few players were released from their contracts right back Wayne Baker and Danish striker Martin Hårby, midfielder Warren Donald and ineffectual left winger Landry Zahana-Oni whilst Dutch striker Miles Reingoud completed his switch to Caersws and centre back Phil Brumwell joined French club Angoulême for £40k. All in all this took the squad down to the small number of 20, but arrivals were immenant according to the coaching staff and senior figures at the club, we waited with baited breath..more foreigners?

Shifting Times - Part 2

The first signing of the summer was a Welshman, Gary Jones joined after being released from his contract at Barnsley, it could spell the end of Chris Price as they both play the same role. Although I seriously hoped perhaps he'd been bought in to play alongside the midfielder. Raith Plant became the clubs second signing and the first in a very long time for a fee, costing £10k from Newport County, Raith had enjoyed an excellent season in the LoW on loan to Rhyl scoring 10 goals in 22 games. He looks and excellent prospect, can play either up front or on the wing and is blessed with electric pace.

More Welsh players arrived and we just didn't know what was happening, Waggett had obviously realised that homegrown players can often perform better, the capture of a former Welsh under 21 goalkeeper came next as Ipswich's Lewis Price, 22, joined the club for £22k, it was a shock signing but a shrewd piece of business as was the signing of another young Welshman (20 years old), Matthew Williams, a forward. He joined after being released by Port Talbot Town and is a former Manchester United trainee who has hit 14 goals in 51 games during his two seasons with Port Talbot and last season and assisted 17 times. It wasn't all Welshman though as 34 year old Justin Skinner, an English central midfielder from Brechin City arrived on a bosman, clearly signed to fill the big hole left by Paulo Sousa's departure.

But it didn't end there and more followed, 18 year old Welsh left or right winger Marcus Orlik came from Sheffiled Wednesday for £12k, Welsh semi-professional goalkeeper Pat Mountain joined on a bosman from Newport County having formerly been with Gloucester City and Yeovil Town, at 26 he'll be looking to cement the club's number one spot and it certainly appeared he would get it as Addison seemed to be very much in favour of the signing. It looked even more likely when former regular goalkeeper Matt Dickens joined Oxford United for £28k, having recently lost his position to player/coach Lee Bamber.

Next up came 18 year old English right midfielder Dave Bird, who came from Cheltenham for £9k, from what I've seen of him in pre season he looks a good player who despite his young age and is very good from deadball situations. Nothing however could prepare us for the splashing out Waggett made next as we raided Wrexham's youth team to complete the signings of striker David LeGrand, left back Alec Stacey, left sided mifielder Chris Hamill, central midfielder Mark Jones and impressive centre back Osian Jones - the only player to have made an appearence for their former club. All are young players and all join for a fee of £8k each - £40k combined. The signings took the clubs summer expenditure up to £95k and is clearly a sign of hopefully things to come as we seem to have a better squad than the previous two seasons, there was time for one last signing before the season started Tarkan Mustafa came on a free after being released by Dagenham & Redbridge, at 30 years old he is a right wingback and looks to possess alot of quality. All-in-all this means we will be going into the season with a squad of 24 of which only four are Non-British and Ten are Welsh.

Different and exciting times looked to be ahead as we got back to business...

Archived