EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience)

RichardLiggins.jpg

Latest league results

Man City 2-1 Boro

Boro 3-2 Charlton

A disappointing and unlucky defeat at Man City, where the prolific (sic) Drogba bagged another two goals, was followed up with a win over high flying Charlton. After edging a tight game, it looked like the game would end all square, until Yakubu scored a 94th minute winner. Beautiful icon_smile.gif

League Cup 3rd Round

West Ham 1-2 Boro aet

A second string team looked in trouble at one goal down at the interval, but a triple substitution including two first teamers saw off the Championship side, dominating for the remainder of the game and deservedly winning the tie.

UEFA Cup Group Stage

AEK 0-3 Boro

Boro 3-1 Valerenga

Six points from the opening two games has seen Boro almost certainly qualify already.

Next up it's a trip to Anfield - with Niall Murphy already predicting a comfortable and convincing win for Liverpool, a club at which he's seriously underachieved at since taking the job - for the 1st of two trips, as the league cup 4th round has also paired the two sides together.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STFC will rule again:

With Niall going with a strange 2 banks of 4 behind the ball with only one up front icon_confused.gif, I went with 4-2-4 to really give it a go and try and get something from the match but it looked like it would be a Liverpool win until Sivok bundled the ball home in the 90th minute to make it 2-2 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and make me jump out of my seat and dance about, while several expletives and potatoe throwing towards the Chelsea bench were heard and seen from the Liverpool staff icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might have had something to do with the fact I was denied victory by being sent down to 10 men as lucky Chelsea struck again.

skylogo_default.gif

Liverpool manager Niall Murphy took time out to talk to Sky Sports after Liverpool's 2-1 victory over Richard Liggins' Middlesbrough outfit.

A comfortable win Niall?

Yes, on the balance of play we were well in control of the game after Middlesbrough once again lost their discipline early on having another man sent off. Really, you would think that a manager such as Liggins would be able to instill some discipline into his team but once again, in a big match, his players lost the plot.

So what do you make of Liggins' recent comments?

As per usual, anything that comes from the Riverside has that familiar smell of bull about it. Having watched Middlesbrough flounce out early of every cup competition last season, and seeing them struggle again this year to rise above mid table mediocracy, I'd have to say that if anyone is underachieving here, it is the Boro boss.

I'd have to agree Niall. Hopes for the rest of the season?

Retain the FA Cup that we deservedly won against Chelsea last season and to stay in the hunt for the title until the death. We've yet to hit top form this season yet remain well in the hunt. Once we start to hit form, the Premiership better watch out!

skylogo_default.gif

Liggins hits out at standard of officials

Speaking this afternoon on Sky Sports News, Middlesbrough manager Richard Liggins hit out at the recent poor refereeing decisions that have hindered his club's progress.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This can't go on. It's an unwritten law in football that the top clubs get all the decisions at home, but this season it seems worse than ever. How a striker running into my centre back when the ball has already been kicked out of play is not only a penalty but a red card is outrageous. But let's face it, the spineless officials we have today aren't gonna give correct decisions when they can just appease the home fans and manager, who are putting undue pressure on them. It was the same at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. It can't continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liggins also hit out at Liverpool boss Niall Murphy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How Murphy can accuse anyone of underacheiving is a joke. 1 FA Cup in 3 seasons at a club like Liverpool? Not good enough by anyone's standards. And having seen his side crash out of the Champions league after only 5 games of the group stage, in a group containing St Etienne, Athletic Bilbao and Werder Bremen, it really does make you think that Murphy must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Underachievment? He's written the book on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next Saturday sees the League Cup 4th round tie at Anfield between Liverpool and Middlesbrough, and it's sure to be a must-see game

Birmingham_DW.jpg

Only Meeeeeeee

Well the end of last season went off with a mere pop as opposed to the proverbial bang, with the opportunity to gain ground on Messrs Liggins and Bouchard and guarantee a place in the UEFA things were promising with 3 to go. Alas Dipstick and a couple of AI Teams saw off any chance of automatic qualification, consolidating me with a Inter Two Bob place. Cruising through the preliminary rounds was a given but with Sam's Villa going out at the 1st hurdle maybe things weren't going to go as smooth as I thought. I was wrong, we coasted into the final to face Sevilla, the away leg saw us come away a goal down; so onto the 2nd leg where we were on the wrong end of a 3-2 thriller,thus putting pay to any chance of Duty Free Beer & Fags for the season.

1st match of the Prem Season saw us up against my old club Charlton, down at the Valley, a reasonable away point for us.

Next up was a Home tie against last Seasons Prem runners up and FA Cup Winners Liverpool, with Manager Niall "lucky" Murphy declaring this was to be his year, and with the team he assembled not even Ben "more millions than brain cells" Jackson was going to stand in his way, I was justifiably cacking my proverbial pants at a potential moral killer so early in the Season. I decided to try a new tac, changing from my tried and not so trusted 442 conertations to a 433 with two wide strikers. Well Thank god I did because 90mins & a Forssell hatrick later, complimented by a Dagoberto double ensured a memorable victory for the Blues running out 5-1 winners on the day, and a damn good new tactic to go with it.

A 2-0 victory at home to Spurs followed with the boys once again doing the City proud.

Now I have 2 bogey Teams in FM one managed by Swiss/French Exile Monsieur Debieux over at Bolton. The other is Steve Dipsh... rose currently making the Makems life a misery. Once again I fell foul of a a diabolical Referee and **** poor finishing. Result on the day was a poor 3-0 defeat.

The Brum Derby followed next and passed by with a whimper loosing a lackluster game 2-1 at Villa Park. Doubts were growing that my new found tactic was any good but was in fact complete cack.

This was confirmed as a 3-2 defeat to Ligs' 'Boro ensued, we were leaking goals badly and needed a resolution before travelling T'North to Face T'Leeds. A few tweaks later and we were back in the swing of things hammering Leeds 6-3,although worryingly still conceding too many.

A win against Fulham swiftly followed by defeat at Wigan saw us up against Man Utd and with a fully squad to pick from, we were looking to put pressure on the manager early out in the hope of a big club vacancy by Christmas, and we did running out 3-2 winners, still conceding but it makes for some bloody exciting Football, something that had been lacking in previous Seasons.

An excellent display of Football saw us hammer Mo Iylas' Toffees 3-1 which in fairness could have been a few more had my strikers not swapped boots at half-time in a bet akin to the infamous paper passing betting scandal of the National team.

A draw against an improving Newcastle was next closely followed by the annihilation of Arsenal 4-1 with Dagoberto and Gutierrez totally outclassing anything The Gunners could muster.

An early exit from the League Cup, by Liverpool couldn't even put a dampener on the proceedings as I was rightfully crowned Manager of the Month, having done so well they decided to make a 1-off best of the best Gold Crown for me, which was nice..........

So with the possibility of a great Season to come but with no European jaunts I'm off to Russia to stock up on Cheap Vodka and Fags......so, Moscow.

t5nf50.jpg

DavidPagi_II.jpg

Il perno di sterzaggio Inter Moratti nomina Pagi

è ciao l'Italia come contrassegno il mio debutto direttivo inter con un'inversione 3-0 sopra Al Delle Alpi di Juventus che adotto attac-occupato di 343 nessun catenaccio qui, Juve semi anche sconfitto 4-0 al Delle Alpi durante piedino italiano della tazza il secondo che le disfa di 4-3 nel primo piedino.

Per crown appena il periodo di honeymoon ho sconfitto il CA finale Milano dei vincitori della lega dei campioni sopra il finale di tazza italiano a due piedi 2-2 via al San Siro ed ho vinto la sede 1-0 il San Siroicon_smile.gif Così più meno di 10 giochi nel lavoro avevo guidato inter alla tazza italiana che impedisce il CA Milano una tazza successiva di quarto. L'apertura alla stagione di 2009/10 non è stata come spettacolare a partire da ancora, malgrado i vincitori eccessivi Palermo della lega di vittoria eccellente promising della tazza.

La forma della lega come stato molto contradditorio e di conseguenza recentemente ho deciso scartare i 343 poichè difensivo ci erano difetti apparenti e ritornare di nuovo ai miei 352 preferiti che facessi il mio nome con ai denti cilindrici. Con footballing un gigante quale Milano inter viene aspettative grandi e di conseguenza ho ritenuto una radura completa fuori ero nell'ordine poichè lo squad che sono stato lasciato con dal mio predecessore era mediocre nel migliore dei casi. In nessun posto vicino alla qualità ha dovuto montare una sfida per Serie A e la lega dei campioni. Con l'intenzione ho comprato alcuni giocatori la maggior parte di cui è bambino in giovane età con potenziale preferisce comprare i giovanotti poichè veterani anziani non ha il desiderio che un giocatore giovane li avesse avesse realizzato tutti latta, sono appena traliccio felice avanti, i giovanotti sono affamati, impavido ed il mio scintillio "personale Nilsen di Andy" Gary del consigliere di trasferimento è la sporgenza così.... icon_smile.gif

giocatori dentro

Aaron Lennon £10m Spurs

Scott Parker £8m Spurs

Leo Messi £10m Barca

Vagner Love £4.5m CSKA Moscow

Claudio Pizarro free Bayern Munich

Jack Cork free Chelsea

Micheal Dawson £8.25m Spurs

Denilson £100k Fulham

Bernardo £1.4m Cruzeiro

Nolan £8m Bolton

Muamba £1.2m Charlton

Rossi £4m Spurs

Rosicky £18m Aston Villa

Babel £4.25m Sevilla/I]

Storari £3m Fiorentina

Bridge £4m Liverpool

Boumsong £2.25m Newcastle

Jaramillo £900k Deportivo Cali

Pienaar free Ajax

Grillo YTS

Bernard YTS

giocatori fuori

Dejan Stankovic £ Real Sociedad

Kallon £ Maritmo

Ferreria £ Newcastle

Solari £ Lecce

Pizarro £8m AS Roma

Mokoena £ Middlesbrough

And a handful of youths totalling £3m

Gazette Dello Sport sat down the Inter boss at a local cafe for his first in-depth interview conducted entirely in English which was convenient.

Pagi first of all everyone back in England are shocked, why on earth did you decide to depart from your beloved Spurs?

Well obviously they are "my" club and it was a deeply emotional decision for me to take. But I figured I had taken the club as far as I could and am of the opinion the Premiership has become stagnant and mundane in the wake of Chelsea's dominance. I needed a new challenge, when Inter Milan come calling you pick up the phone icon_wink.gif

Congratulations on your Italian Cup win, you must think the Italian league is a piece of p!ss?

Why thank you yes I am delighted with the lads they performed superbly giving "the old lady" a cardiac arrest 4-0 at the notoriously difficult Delle Alpi and put the Champions League winners AC Milan to the sword in the final. Unfortunately the awards committee have not deemed it an achievement as I have not been rewarded with a place in the trophy cabinet, hopefully this will be rectified in the near future or mark my words I will be filing a complaint.

You have bought in a staggering amount of players during pre-season, infact I believe it is a world record for the amount of players bought in the space of a month, wtf is that all about?

The club needed whole-sale changes I implemented them. simple as that really

Quite simply the squad last season was **** old has beens on big wages GET OUT. In their place come the reverse young starlets with ambition and drive. That I am sure will bring this club success in the near future.

You have acquired a lot of English players in fact I think the English/Argentineans players now out number even the Italians in your squad, do you see this as a problem?

Not at all, obviously I have bought in a few English players as I prefer to stick to what I know. As does Wenger and Benitez and they have had considerable success so who am I to argue. The Argies were already at Inter when I arrived so you can't blame me for that can you icon_smile.gif Also I will make an effort to higher the ratio of Italians in the squad as it is important to keep a sense of national identity within the club. Although I would argue we have a collection of very promising Italian players within the squad already first teamers, Stotari, Bellanova, Pasquela Nossa,

Young squad, can they handle the pressure?

Well of course I would not have bought them if I was unsure, these young guns are gonna be firing this team into champions. At this club I believe we have the greatest collection of youngsters in Europe

We have seen numerous formations used by your Inter team, do you know your best?

Well the downside to the mammoth change of personnel is having to figure out the tactics and players that will best suit the team. Naturally at the beginning it was abit like trial and error, although now I feel I know the squad, know what they can and can't do, and know what formation/tactics to utilise. I have confidence the team will push on now to secure a foot-hold at the summit of the Serie A. We'll fight on beaches...

What are your targets/ambitions for this season... and beyond?

The obvious clichés really, To get as high as possible in Serie A, at the bare minimum a Champions League place, we'll be taking the Italian Cup seriously again in an effort of retaining it and I want to win the Uefa Cup to install a winning mentality into the squad.

An indifferent start to the 2009/10 season?

*Pagi cried for a few seconds than managed to compose himself to say the following* Hmmm yeah it has been a disastrous start to the season but I believe we can rectify the situation and I feel I have the formation/players/tactics in place to perform on a weekly basis, and if we do not improve I promise I will resign as this club deserves perfection. Although the fans have to understand the squad has seen an awful lot of alterations things can't just go from a mess to paradise. Give me time.

logo.gif

The Daily Star are speculating you may be given the bullet by Inter henchman moratti soon and you are looking at houses in north london with an interest in replacing the underachieving Souness who has ****ed up the club, what have you got to say about that?

FISH OFF!

The Inter manager had this to say about his old Premiership colleagues.

Ben : A little bit of a rubinetto , who did not meriti il lavoro di Chelsea poichè non ha fatto niente meritarlo and took advantage of shitty SI codificazione per quanto riguarda le reputazioni del responsabile

Ligs: MORNING! Ohhh Beaky I just had a lovely bowl di pasta con un certi vino e bambino amo la pizza Beaky con i pesci e le cose Beautifullllllllllllll!

Niall: Irish fussy pants, sore perdente e femmina tattica he will not win il Premiership mai come Chelsea e Ben sono femmine.

Sam:Pollone mouthy del nob che gradisce il suono della sua propria voce un piccolo troppo decent manager, attacking football nice.

Mo: Venuto uniscalo in Italia che ameranno il vostro CATENACCIO! CATENACCIO! CATENACCIO!

Arrivederci! Italia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Report of the year easily. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Niall, well it's all about quality not quantity thats what I tell the wife anyway icon_wink.gif

what did i miss , WHAT DID I MISS ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH IS SOME ONE AWAKE>??????????? Ive got the horriblest feeling in my gut that the AI has once again shown its true feckeryness and gone and accepted then Inter job??? :S!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I hope my pigeon Italian is worse than i think thanks pagi n niall icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif whats the odds on being sacked i n a month icon_frown.gif

NiallMurphy.jpg

Time for a quick Liverpool update, since we're back on top where we belong! icon_wink.gif

Champions League

May as well get the bad bit out of the way early. Liverpool failed to qualify for the second round after getting an exceptionally tough draw against Athletico Madrid, Werder Bremen and lightweights St Etienne. Ok, you may scoff at some of the names, but these sides were seriously good and dominated the group. On the other hand, we were unlucky, as the best side in Europe tumbled out early. icon_eek.gif

From the semi finals to out in the group stage. Very disappointing, but at least now I get the chance to deny Ligs and new Inter boss Dave the chance of UEFA Cup glory, which lets face it was their only chance of a trophy this season. icon_wink.gif

The Carling Cup

Having drawn Dave's Birmingham in the 3rd Round and Ligs' Middlesbrough in the 4th Round, there was nothing else for it but to take the competition a little more seriously than normal. icon_biggrin.gif

After routine victories over both bosses, a win against Wolves meant we were in the semi finals. A first leg win at Newcastle by 2 goals to 1 sets us up nicely for a possible final vs Bolton or Arsenal.

The FA Cup

A mix of youngsters and established players looking to force their way into the team whopped Ipswich 6-0 to set up an away day at West Ham in the 4th Round.

The Premiership

It's looking like this could well be my year in the Premiership at last, having been denied last season, when we were very close. On arriving at Anfield I invested heavily in the future with Kompany and Podolski and now, with both players 23 and 24 respectively, it is starting to pay dividends. This year we are not relying so much on the still lethal Cisse for goals, but Podolski is finally justifying the £25m transfer fee I paid for him. That has allowed us to take a three point lead over Chelsea after 20 games with us also having a game in hand. A crucial encounter is approaching between the two clubs at Anfield and I plan to extend our unbeaten run vs Chelsea even further.

After two early defeats, to Birmingham and Bolton, Liverpool have not lost in the Premiership in four months. icon14.gif

The best bits:

Aston Villa 1 - 3 Liverpool - Sam's lads capitulate to rampant Liverpool!! icon_biggrin.gif

Liverpool 2 - 1 Boro - Ligs feels the heat at Anfield!! icon_biggrin.gif

Liverpool 2 - 1 Everton - new Everton boss Mo Ilyas takes a hiding at the home of Murphy!! icon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal 1 - 3 Liverpool - Wenger's lads torn apart.

Overall it looks good. Lets hope we finally deliver the big one this season and start the Chelsea decline.

fmseason5.jpg

RichardLiggins.jpg

Same old, same old

Into my 2nd full season in charge, the hope was to break into the top 6 this season. At the moment that's still a possibility, but the consistent inconsistency is beggining to hamper those chances. Anyway, a brief overview...

League Cup

Liverpool 4-2 Boro

Fielding a team of fringe players, the "mighty" Liverpool were pushed all the way. Although Mr Murphy may claim to having an easy victory, at 2-2 with 20 mins to go, it took a panicky double substitution to ensure they made progress.

Boro out the competition early on again, boo-hoo icon_wink.gif

FA Cup

Leeds 0-3 Boro

3rd round, away at a top flight side, certainly could've been an easier draw. Fortunately, Leeds aren't particularly good, and they love conceding goals. Easy progress was made, and the winners of the Burnley v Brighton replay await at the Riverside.

UEFA Cup

Qualification was secured easily, 10 points from a possible 12 earned. Legia Warsaw await in the round of 32. Winning the UEFA would be a great achievment, as some big names got knocked out of the Champions league. So did Liverpool icon_wink.gif

The Premiership

Now this is where it's all been rather frustrating. A few results of note:

Leeds 0-5 Boro

Man Utd 1-2 Boro

Wigan 3-0 Boro

Boro 0-0 Fulham

Boro 1-1 Crystal Palace

After tonking Leeds and getting Man ure's Nevio Scala the sack (and David Pagi II the job) a 3-0 defeat at lowly Wigan summed up Boro's problems. One week we can be world beaters, the next anyone can beat us. Draws at home to Fulham and Palace again sum this up, games that we've dominated but not been able to win. It hasn't helped that 7 of the squad's 8 strikers (including the young reserves) have been injured, nor seeing Eidur Gudjohnsen, in on loan for a month, deciding to play a perfect through all for Palace's Shola Ameobi on his debut.

Despite all this, we reamin unbeaten at home in the league and only 5 points off 3rd place with 17 games remaining in the season. After seeing Stewart Downing ruled out for 3-5 months with a broken foot, a player who was in contention for PFA player of the season such was his form, other squad members are going to have to perform even better if the target of top 6 is to be reached.

Up the Boro icon14.gif

RichardLiggins.jpg

No report for a week and then WHAMMO, 2 in less than a day.

Everton 1-3 Boro

Any game with Mo is always a tight, gruelling, drawn-out affair, and this was no exception. Strangley though, Everton came flying out of the blocks and deservedly took the lead through marcus bent, after Gomez's free-kick could only be parried out to the journeyman striker. Boro however showed why they are pushing for Europe and responded immediately, a nice move seeing Collins John making things all level again. Boro finished the half the stronger, but the scores remained level at the break.

The second half began in much the same vein as the first, Everton having most of the possession without creating a great deal, Boro looking threatening on the break, and it was from a counter attck that they took the lead. Emmanuel Pogatetz, on at the break, squared the ball in for Mikael Dahlberg to put the visitors ahead. As the game went on Everton, believe it or not for an Ilyas team, started to enter the opposition half a bit more, leaving more space at the back for Boro to exploit. With five minutes to go this space was exploited, as Eidur Gudjohnsen played a lovely ball through to John, who go this second of the game. 3-1 the final score, a hard fought win, and the double completed of Mr Ilyas icon_smile.gif

Boro 4-1 Newcastle

Local derby, Newcastle playing their first game under their new boss, Boro's strikeforce depleted even more with Mikael Dahlberg out for 3-4 months with a torn calf muscle, this had the makings of being an upset. Boro, however, kept their unbeaten home record in tact comfortably, thanks to one man.

1-1 was the half time score, Cesar Delgado equalising Collins John's early strike, and newcastle had been the better side. With this in mind, a switch to a 4-5-1 formation, withdrawing Nicolaj Agger from striker to attacking midfield, made all the difference. Boro were rampant in the 2nd period, and Collins John went on to bag three more goals. His four goal salvo took him upto 13 for the season, becoming Boro's top scorer, despite only having played 21 games, and only starting nine of them.

Upto 7th, 3 points off 3rd. However, a visit to Highbury and 6th placed Arsenal awaits after the FA Cup 4th round. That will be a real test to see if Boro are finally turning the corner.

Up the Boro icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big_Ant:

Niall,

Just tried to stick my details on your website for whenever you are recruiting but the link doesnt work from here or on your site. Just wondering where I can give you my details </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.eplchallenge.co.uk

That link to the site works, however currently the forum isn't working.

Niall would give you some feedback, however at the minute he is AWOL icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big_Ant:

Niall,

Just tried to stick my details on your website for whenever you are recruiting but the link doesnt work from here or on your site. Just wondering where I can give you my details </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate our forums are down. If you are interested go to mirc room #eplchallenge on any of our game nights and we'll have a chat then.

Thanks

RichardLiggins.jpg

Well It looks like I'm the only one posting updates these days, surely that means I win EPL by default as everyone else gets kicked out for not updating? icon_smile.gif

Anyway, onto footballing matters...

FA Cup

5th round tie away at Blackburn was the least of my priorities this season. A very young looking side took the field and narrowly lost, although teenage protege Tony Skyes did get on the scoresheet.

Blackburn 2-1 Boro

UEFA Cup

Now this was disappointing. Luckily for Betis, they caught us at a time when we couldn't hit a particularly large cows backside with an even larger banjo. Losing both legs 0-1 was not a fair reflection of the tie, but nonetheless it was enough to put us out, leaving only the league to concentrate on

Premiership

And there's only 1 place to start:

Boro 2-1 Chelsea

Title chasing reigning champs Chelsea came to the Riverside having taken 1st place off Liverpool in recent weeks after a slip up from Mr Murphy's side. It was Boro who started the better though and took a deserved lead through Yakubu. After this, of course, we sat back and let Chelsea try and break us down. They failed to do this, despite having a fair few chances, and when Vranjes converted a late penalty the game looked over. But straight from kick off Chelsea came forward and saw a speculative effort from Fred take a huge deflaction and trickle into the net. Boro held on for a famous win.

Other results

Bolton 2-2 Boro

Boro 0-0 Man City

Charlton 0-3 Boro

The race for 3rd spot is well and truly on. Unfortunately ther's plenty of runners and riders. From Man Ure in 3rd to Man City in 8th there is only about 6 points. With 8 or so games left, it really is all to play for.

Next up

Next game at the Riverside see's a major test for Boro. Despite still being unbeaten at home all season, Champions elect Liverpool and Niall "ego" Murphy icon_wink.gif waltz into town. His high cost/high quality side are on a bit of a run of late, and this promises to be a cracking match

Up The Boro icon14.gif

Stop press!!!!

StevenDiprose.jpg

becomes…

SteveDiproseIII.jpg

!!!

Due to a very stupid University Internet provider, I ended up missing the run-in for the 2008-2009 season, all of pre-season and most of the start of the 2009-2010 campaign… the teams form, in this time, went to pot, to put it bluntly.

After doing so very well, and rising as high as sixth in the league, we capitulated, with the last seven games of last season all being either lost or drawn: we finished a highly respectable 10th, but it could and perhaps should have been so much better.

This poor run of form looked to have been shaken off from pre-season results, with the squad getting some good, comfortable wins down their shorts, but the new campaign started terribly, with Sunderland rock bottom, no goals scored and no points after three games, until the genius that I am icon_wink.gif returned; however the Birmingham result was obviously a freak, as losses upon losses followed, and I was sacked. No-one wanted to take the job, as the Mackems looked to be in a very similar situation to their real-life campaign this season, i.e. doomed. But, with the young squad I’d begun to build, I wasn’t willing to let it all go to waste, and wanted another shot…

Results

Sunderland 3 – 0 Birmingham

A miraculous change of fortunes here, grabbing three desperately-needed points as Birmingham spurned a number of goal scoring opportunities, Zigic being the main culprit. Ohlsson (2) and Farfan reeled the points in.

Bolton 3 – 1 Sunderland

Birmingham turned out to be a blip on a sh!te opening to the season for us, and we were dismantled in the first half by Bolton. Trejo came on to pull one back, and we had chances aplenty in the second half to get into the game more, but it wasn’t to be.

Portsmouth 3 – 2 Sunderland (League Cup 2nd Round)

A weakened side was fielded due to injuries and players needing a rest, and it showed. Trejo’s two goals were the only consolation, both very well taken, as Pompey ran the show.

Sunderland 2 – 3 Manchester City

That goddamned Drogba was at it again, scoring two ridiculous goals inside 8 minutes. The defence was rocking and we conceded a poor third through Bautista, before Trejo and Lawrence pulled us back before half time. The second half was much more even, but we couldn’t get the point we deserved.

Charlton 2 – 1 Sunderland

Trejo gave us a deserved lead after half time, but 5 minutes of madness from our defence saw Charlton grab two goals and all three points with 10 minutes left to go.

Sunderland 0 – 3 Chelsea

The game was very even until 43 minutes, when Fred was put in and scored, then seconds later it was two as the crappy long ball tactic put Vucinic in behind and he gave Fred a tap in. Gudjohnsen scored to finish us off at the end.

Sunderland 0 – 2 Liverpool

Cisse scored from a corner of 45 seconds, was even game until 80 mins, when we went more attacking in search of an equaliser and Cisse grabbed his second on the break.

Wolves 2 – 2 Sunderland

Olofinjana gave Wolves an early lead, but it was short-lived as Aguero was first to the rebound after a Custodio shot was parried, and buried it. Trejo gave us hope of three points in the second half, and we should’ve scored many more goals, but instead Wolves broke away and Brandt scored after a good measure of luck.

Spurs 4 – 3 Sunderland

Cavenaghi tucked in an early penalty, before Aguero equalised in sublime fashion. Things looked good until Ale smacked in a long shot just before the break. Straight after half time, Cavenaghi fluked another Spurs goal, before Aguero pulled one back from the spot. Ale spanked in his second long shot, before Ohlsson scored at the death to make things interesting, but to no avail.

Sunderland 1 – 4 Aston Villa

We looked the better side for much of the game, Aguero, obviously in good form, giving us the lead. Paul equalised about halfway into the second half, before god knows what happened as Davis, Cerci and Paul scored one apiece in the last four minutes to leave us in shock. Diprose II was sacked at this point…

Sunderland 1 – 1 Leeds

Enter Diprose III… Ohlsson buried an opportunity inside 2 minutes, and we had so much possession and so many chances that the game should’ve been over by half time. However Corvia scored after the break with some fortune, and then we pelted the Leeds goal with shots but somehow they held out for a point.

Fulham 2 – 0 Sunderland

Pretty even game first half, Fulham’s 4-3-3 looked dangerous and proved to be as they played on the counter-attack, scoring through Bowditch and Martins to bury us. Somehow, Ohlsson won the Young Player of the Month Award for November, but God only knows how, after a continually poor run of results and lack of goals.

Sunderland 2 – 0 Wigan

Wooooooooh pointsssssss! Ohlsson gave us the lead midway through the second half, nodding a Farfan cross into the corner. 94:48 Kargbo arrowed a ball diagonally into the far side of the area to Arca, who took a touch to control the ball before volleying home spectacularly to give us the win. The board was pleased for the first time in what felt like years, and morale was good as well, making a nice change.

Man Utd 1 – 0 Sunderland

We definitely turned up today, and it was only through a piece of good fortune that we didn’t come home with a point, as van Nistelrooy headed in a cross after a fortunate break down the left by Rooney.

Sunderland 2 – 0 Grimsby (FA Cup 3rd Round)

We eased into the fourth round thanks to two good goals from Farfan, who hasn’t been firing on all cylinders so far this season, and the margin in scores could and probably should have been greater.

Birmingham 2 – 1 Sunderland

Birmingham avenged their humbling at the start of the season, with all the goals in the first half. Jankovic gave the home side an early lead, before Ohlsson levelled midway through the half. However any hopes we had were short-lived as Forssell bagged a good goal moments later.

Sunderland 1 – 1 Norwich

We really should’ve won this game, based on the number of very good chances we simply failed to convert. Ohlsson did give us the lead, but Arsenal-reject Bendtner opportunistically grabbed an equaliser just before the break.

Sunderland 1 – 0 Stoke

Ohlsson scored the only goal of the game pretty early on, and we sat back after this. Stoke had the better of the game and probably deserved a replay, but we held out.

Missed the following two games…

Chelsea 1 – 0 Sunderland

Sunderland 1 – 2 Bolton

Man City 3 – 3 Sunderland

This was a ridiculous game really. Ohlsson gave us an early lead, before Distin was sent off for hauling him down on the edge of the area as last man. Then Drogba scored twice in the next 10 minutes to give City an inexplicable lead. Bowker extended that lead after half time, before Fernandez scored his first for the club on 83, and Whitehead blasted in a late penalty on 88 minutes. We should have scored again and won the match, but because of the way the game went after the sending off, a point was well won. Farcical.

Sunderland 0 – 2 Arsenal

Two first half goals from an Henry penalty and Defoe gave Arsenal the points here, we were restricted to long shots and pinned back for long periods, and never really threatened their goal.

Sunderland 0 – 1 Chelsea

The FA Cup fifth round saw us host Chelski, and traitor van Persie scored the only goal in the lead up to half time. However we had the better possession, but our attacks were cut out far too easily and as with the Arsenal game, we never posed a real threat.

Sunderland 3 – 0 Charlton

We beat Charlton in emphatic style here, keeping a clean sheet thanks to some great defensive work. Markel released Ohlsson to break away and slot past the Charlton keeper for the first, before Kargbo sent Ohlsson down the right to cross for Aguero to nod gently into the corner. The rout was complete before half time, as Arca got in a cheeky cross to the near post, for Aguero to coolly slide the ball under the keeper. Charlton’s only shot of the match was well wide, and this pays tribute to the defensive performance today. Why can’t it always be like this?!

Liverpool 3 – 3 Sunderland

A great result, and we should really have won in all honesty based on our second half performance. Roncatto scored a spectacular first time lob from ten yards after 2 mins, before Pazzini belted a curler past Mommers from 30 yards. Fernandez was let in by Aguero, but his shot was well saved; Aguero then got the better of Milito on the right, before running down to the edge of the area and pulling a cross back slightly to Farfan, who did very well to finish. After half time the pressure was all on Isaksson in the ‘Pool goal, and he couldn’t get rid of a backpass outside of the area before Aguero dispossessed him and was left with an empty net to roll the ball into. Isaksson was obviously having a belter, as Farfan dispossessed him this time, squeezing the ball to Aguero who then let fly with a perfect lob from 40+ yards to just beat the retreating keeper. We had a few more chances, Mommers was off injured and Julio Cesar was on, Cisse managed to squeeze an equaliser home before having a goal ruled out for offside, and in the end we played for the draw. Pushovers? Nahhhhh… icon_smile.gif

Aguero won the Young Player of the Month Award for February, and Ohlsson came third. Aguero demanded a new contract, which he signed, but this sparked interest from Boro and Villareal, whose offers were laughable and immediately rejected.

This has led to new contracts everywhere, with the main players Aguero, Farfan, Ohlsson and ARCA!! all signing new deals icon_smile.gif.

Sunderland 0 – 0 Wolves

We had a silly number of shots on target in this game, but somehow we didn’t manage to score. We really can get out of the relegation zone I believe, but need to start converting these chances – I need a more lethal striker to be brought in. Time wasting was taking the **** at the end, as the Wolves keeper took 54 seconds to take a goal kick. 54, I ask you!! Grrr…

Sunderland 1 – 1 Spurs

Awful finishing continued here, and Betinho joined in the fun, driving his shots over the bar time after time. However into the last 15 minutes he showed some finesse in a smooth finish, before Faty was sent off for his second bookable offence on the edge of the area. With the fans ready to leave, Arca stepped up and buried the free kick to give the fans further hope we can claw out of the bottom three.

Transfers

In:

<LI> Francisco Javier Fernandez joined us on a Bosman from Celta, and is a very promising young central midfielder. Injuries within the squad saw him break into the first team in January, and he played surprisingly well for his age, and his abilities have come along nicely since then.

Future Transfers In, July 2010:

<LI> Spurs’ attacking minded youngster Darren Brown will join for £775k, and looks to be a bright spark and good bet for the future.

<LI> Arsenal’s young attacking midfielder David Smith looks to be a great young talent. His technical ability, at just 17, would rival many Premiership players already, and I’m sure he will only get better.

<LI> Roberto Sanna will be joining us on a free from Spanish side Athletic on a free. My scouts believe him to be one for the future, and I was more than willing to take a gamble following the lack of transfer activity in the previous season.

Out:

<LI> Kelvin Davis moved to Nottingham Forest

<LI> Colo Halit went to Sheffield Wednesday for a fee of £850k

<LI> Hernan Crespo, Mark Viduka, Matt Holland and Ricardo Sousa were all released on free transfers.

I’m on the lookout for a more clinical striker, as well as a left sided midfielder and maybe a new left and right back, as backup for the ageing Arca and inconsistent Kargbo respectively.

Review

And so, with eight games remaining, we lie in 19th, with a terrible goal difference, 22 points, and we are still 6 points off of 17th placed Spurs and safety. Relegation is still probable, but safety not impossible, and we will fight all the way. There are some tough matches at Middlesboro, Villa and Man Utd coming up, but also five very winnable games, and providing that we do win these games and other results work in our favour, there is a good chance of survival, as the teams within our reach, Tottenham, Palace, Norwich and Wigan, all have tougher run-ins than us, and as long as the bigger teams live up to their fans expectations and win these games, there’s hope. We’re unbeaten in four, and travel to Villa next, with them still reeling on the back of a 7-0 mauling by the Murphy machine; a point or even a result is a possibility here.

icon14.gif

SteveDiproseIII.jpg

The relegation battle continues...

So, we got ourselves into some kind of contention for safety, and looked to be on track until a terrible weekend that saw us lose, and everyone else around us win, all tough games. Now we need Norwich or Wigan to lose their remaining games of the season. and we need to win both of our games, to stay up. Wigan and Norwich could each get one point from their remaining games, and we could still stay up, but these last two games against Crystal Palace and Everton are absolutely must-wins.

20th March 2010, 15:00

Aston Villa 2

Graham 11

Paul 88

Sunderland 2

Arca 20, pen. 75

Ibrahim Kargbo started the match looking extremely uncomfortable, and Villa had two good chances inside the opening quarter of an hour, Graham sliding the second opportunity past Julio Cesar in goal at the near post for the opener. The goal woke us up a bit, and Ohlsson played a neat one-two with Aguero before playing Arca into space, who ran at goal and unleashed an unstoppable drive from 25 yards, bringing us level. Ward made several good tackles for Villa to keep us at bay, and at the other end Davis shot wide and Paul had a pop from 50 yards, easily saved. Fernandez threaded a ball into the area for Ohlsson, but his powerful shot was just saved. Srna then brought down Arca after he had dribbled into the area, and Arca himself tucked away the spot kick for his second of the game. This shock lead spurned Villa on, and they had a few chances, but so did we on the counter. However, just as the points looked safe, the ball worked its way to Paul just inside the area, and he buried an angled shot across goal to spare a certain Mr. Bouchard's blushes icon_wink.gif .

27th March 2010, 15:00

Sunderland 2

Ohlsson 29

Farfan 77

Middlesboro 1

John 23

It was a great win against the high-flying Liggins today, and a very hard fought one. Boro had the better of the opening exchanges, and took the lead after John reacted first to a Pedretti free kick that Cesar could only parry. Our equaliser was slightly against the run of play, and changed the match. Boro's keeper decided to play a quick one-two with his right back, about 40 yards away from goal, and Ohlsson sprinted in to intercept the 'two' and hit his first time shot in off the post. Yakubu was released down the right and was one-on-one, but Julio Cesar did well to make himself big and save the shot. Our winning goal was another strange affair. Liam Lawrence took a free kick to the right of the penalty area in towards Farfan, and as the ball went to him, all the defenders seemed to move away. Farfan controlled, turned, and rolled the ball past a bewildered keeper. We should have put the game beyond doubt, but for some desperate defending to deny Ohlsson and Farfan in quick succession. We held out, the three points are a blessing, and we move up to 18th.

3rd April 2010, 15:00

Leeds United 2

Reid 23

Bangoura 74

Lodemel s/off 66

Sunderland 4

Farfan 5

Aguero 15

Fernandez 51

Watt 71

We started this game excellently, as Kargbo made a great interception and passed to Aguero, who turned and weaved a ball in for Farfan, who in turn hit a first time chip from thirty yards and into the net. Minutes later Fernandez had the ball in the net, but it was disallowed after good work from Kamara and Farfan. Fernandez looked to be having a good game, as he stormed into the area and flicked the ball over a defender to Aguero, who tapped in at the near post. We looked very comfortable, but Leeds weren't lying down, as Vassell was sent down the right; he got to the byline, cut back and sent a ball to the back post for Reid to bury. A beautiful move saw Kargbo send a peach of a diagonal cross-field ball to Farfan, who went round a defender before crossing for Fernandez to glance a header into the corner. Lodemel was sent off for Leeds for a second yellow, and then defender Steven Watt thumped home a header from a corner to effectively finish Leeds. Bangoura managed to pull one back against the run of play, with a quality solo run and finish, but it was too little, too late. We had relegated Leeds, the board was delighted, and we were level on points with Spurs.

5th April 2010, 15:00

Sunderland 1

Ohlsson 36

Fulham 1

Pennant 70

A fairly boring match, with both teams looking rather jaded, saw us take a surprise lead through an Ohlsson header from a Farfan cross. We looked to be heading for a 1-0 until a poor clearance allowed across to the far post, where Pennant did well to finish through a crowded six yard box. We should've won it in the final ten minutes though, with Aguero going very close three times. Points are points, though icon_smile.gif

10th April 2010, 15:00

Wigan 2

Johnson 26, 87

Sunderland 2

Ohlsson 79

Disaster here today, as Palace, Spurs, Norwich and obviously Wigan all won. We looked the more dangerous, but Wigan were getting the better chances, and Johnson netted after a clearance hit Kargbo and fell to him. We didn't seem able to score, until near the end of the match, as we were putting more and more pressure on the Wigan defence: Farfan made space in the area to pass to Ohlsson, who hit a beautiful flick over defender and keeper into the corner. However, Wigan stepped up a gear to pelt our goal, and Johnson got his second lucky goal of the game as the ball fell to him in the area and he blasted in. This leaves relegation very likely now, as Norwich, Spurs and Palace all won difficukt games.

20th March 2010, 15:00

Sunderland 2

Lawrence 36

Aguero 72

Man Utd 2

Smith 3, 13

Heinze s/off 52

We started terribly, a poor clearance from the keeper saw noble head the ball on to Brandy, who passed to Smith through the middle, who finished easily. A very similar move led to Smith's second, as the move this time started with a pass from Mikel to Brandy. We pulled one back through Lawrence before half time, as a Markel corner fell kindly to him in the area, before he turned and smashed in through a crowd of players. After half time, Lawrence put through Farfan, and he was hauled down by Heinze on the edge of the area. Heinze got a straight red as he was the last man. The resultant free kick was wasted, but Utd were under increasing pressure, and a breathtaking break saw Aguero nod in a Farfan cross from the left. A winner seemed to be coming, but ManU held out. A very well-earned point it was, although three would have been nicer.

As I said earlier, we need to win our two remaining games to have any chance, and even if we do that we still need Chelsea, Bolton (Norwich games remaining), Sam's Villa, Ligs' Boro, and Man City (Wigan games remaining) to do us favours. We only need for one of them to lose their remaining games, for us to stay up as long as we get our six points. I have a feeling it's too much to ask, but we will fight on regardless.

icon14.gif

RichardLiggins.jpg

Bloody Drogba

Well at the start of the season, the aim was to try and break into the top 4. Well this was achieved, but with 5th placed Man City somehow winning the Champions League, the UEFA Cup is all that Boro could look forward to next season. Disappointing, but it still couldn't take away from the acheivment of finishing 4th, above the likes of Man Ure and Man City.

So what to expect for the new season? Only 1 major transfer in so far, Fabrizio Miccoli providing some more guile up front. Tom Soares will add depth to the midfield, and Andre Roth is a striker with potential. Along with the obligatory sacking of the fresh batch of youth team "talent" there's some money in the transfer kitty. Next step is to somehow close the huge gap to Chelsea and Liverpool.

Up the Boro icon14.gif

StevenDiprose.jpg

Relegated… but we went down fighting

So, we needed to win our last two games to give us any hope of staying up.. those games were away to other relegation battlers Crystal Palace, and at home to Mo’s much-improved Everton side.

24th April 2010, 15:00

Crystal Palace 5

O’Connor 19

Macken 26, 45

Brown 70, 87

Sunderland 5

Farfan 10, 22

Fernandez 37

Ohlsson 71, 86

Kargbo s/off 89

The fans must have loved this match, but it was to be heartbreak for both sets of players. We took the lead three times, but were pegged back all three times, before Palace took a lead of their own. At this point I thought it was over, but substitute Andre Ohlsson had other ideas, immediately equalising and then looking to have given us a late winner. However my delight was short-lived, as Palace held nothing back and pulled level straight away. There were chances to win for both sides after this, but I knew we were down when Kargbo hacked down Brown on the left for his second yellow. That said, scoring 5 away goals, we deserved the win. Gutted to be down, but really pleased at the character we showed, the way we just didn’t give up.

2nd May 2010, 16:00

Sunderland 1

Farfan 35

Everton 0

We never looked overly troubled in the last game of the season. With our fate already sealed, there was no pressure on us, and we looked comfortable, created chances, and were dangerous. Ohlsson had the first opportunity, after receiving the ball from Farfan on the left with his back to goal: he turned and fired in a good shot, but the keeper did well to get to it. Farfan and Ohlsson looked to be finally on the same wavelength, showing glimpses of the form that saw us rise to 10th last season, and a neat one-two saw Ohlsson in space, but he smacked his shot straight at the keeper. We gave away a silly free kick on the edge of our area that Mokoena took, but Mommers was equal to, before Mokoena gave us a free kick on the Everton ‘D’ down the other end, which Farfan curled home nicely to give us the three points. Arca had a chance to increase our lead shortly after, making a good run into space and onto a clever little Markel ball, he dribbled into the area before unleashing a swerving drive that flashed just over. Szalachowski had perhaps Everton’s best chance of the game in a dour second half, dribbling past two or three players and well into the area, and blasted a shot over with only the keeper to beat. Farfan had one good opportunity to score for us again, and had a misplaced cross just tipped over, as we finished the season with three points. The win should have been by a bigger margin, but hey.. it doesn’t really matter now.

It was a good run-in to the end of the season for us, with just one defeat in our last twelve games, but the terrible start to the campaign was just too much for us to overcome. The good end however did see Andre Ohlsson named as the Young Players’ Player of the Year, with Sergio Aguero coming in third in the same competition. What does sicken me, however, is that Palace result. 5-5, and I’ve never had so many mixed emotions during a single match before. “YESSSSSS†to “NOOOOOO†to “YESSSSS†to “NOOOOOO†to “YESSSSSSS†to “NOOOOOO†to “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS OVER†to “OH MAYBE NOT!!!†to “YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS†to “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO†might give you some idea. Anyway, had we won that match, we would have stayed up, and that’s what makes it worse for me.

Looking ahead to next season in the Championship, I’m sure I’ll be facing numerous insults for the crappy schedule icon_wink.gif as well as the occasional “you’re s^&%†jibe, but in all honesty I should come straight back up, and we should win the title with the squad we have. We’re in good stead financially, with no need to sell players, although one or two, namely central defender Edgar Martinez, are looking to move on.

In the weeks after our relegation, countless bids came in for the likes of Martinez, Julio Cesar, Sergio Aguero and Francisco Javier Fernandez, amongst others. These pathetic bids were all rejected – just because we’re in the Championship, it doesn’t mean that suddenly everyone can leave for peanuts!! icon_mad.gif

Anyway, transfers so far…

Transfers In

<LI> Alejandro Rubio, Unattached, Free – Alejandro is a 17 year old Spanish striker, and is already showing a lot of potential. He will undoubtedly get some games over the coming season, and we will see how he comes along.

<LI> Martin Gonzalez, Unattached, Free – Martin was released by Barcelona C, and I can’t really understand why. He is technically gifted for his age, just 18, and should give us some more options on the left midfield, where Arca has had to play for most of this season. He is perhaps a bit weak physically, but hopefully this young Argy will come along well.

<LI> Paolo Farina, Parma, Free – a great dribbler at 17 years old, full of promise, although his all round abilities are not very well rounded in my opinion, and we will see how he progresses.

<LI> Roberto Sanna, Athletic, Free – perhaps a DL for the future here, as he is physically a great player. Currently his technical and mental stats aren’t very good, but with the warm welcome of a rising star given by the fans, this 17 year old will be staying on the books.

<LI> Sergio Robles, Alicante, Free – One of the gambles I took here, but he doesn’t cost much. He is a pacey, confident striker, and hopefully will blossom.

<LI> Darren Brown, Tottenham, £775k – 17 year old AM/F C, and he has very promising, well-rounded stats. I’m not sure he’d make a good striker with his finishing currently at 5, but he definitely looks to be on the way to a world class MCa. The fans were delighted with this young man’s arrival once again, and I can see why.

<LI> David Smith, Arsenal, £900k – Simply delighted the fans, with young Sunderland fans already queuing up for a shirt with his name on. A very promising ML, great dribbler and free kick taker at 17 years old, and having stolen him from under the noses of Man Utd, I’m sure he will instantly compete for a first team place in the coming season, and go on to be a top notch player for England, and hopefully Sunderland.

Transfers Out

<LI> Kevin Kyle, Walsall, Free

<LI> Christian Chirieletti, Reading, Free

<LI> Alan Doyle, Reading, Free

<LI> Bakhtiyor Ismoilov, Livorno, Free

<LI> Countless U18s also released, because in all honesty, they’re crap. icon_smile.gif

I’m pretty happy to have managed to hold the squad together, and to have added some young and extraordinary talent also – players are only going to be leaving if some seriously big bids come in, and that’s whether they’re happy about it or not. We don’t need to sell, they’re all on long contracts, and we will be back where we belong next season. I’d still be on the lookout for a talented left mid, but with few pennies to play with, the squad will probably stay as it is.

My aim for the coming season is to win promotion back to the Premiership, by winning the league. The squad is superior to many in the Premiership, let alone in the Championship, and we have no idea how we got into the situation we did last season.

Ha’way the lads!! icon14.gif

Hello guys

Sorry I haven’t been around lately but it took me longer than expected to pass my driving test. I have just found out Ben is our new host and after last time I don’t feel I can trust him so I’m going to have to quit the clan.

All the best Marc and thanks for giving me a chance Niall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Debtu:

Hello guys

Sorry I haven’t been around lately but it took me longer than expected to pass my driving test. I have just found out Ben is our new host and after last time I don’t feel I can trust him so I’m going to have to quit the clan.

All the best Marc and thanks for giving me a chance Niall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck in the future Marc, was good playin' with you dude.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Debtu:

Hello guys

All the best Marc and thanks for giving me a chance Niall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Predictable post of the year. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wi11iams:

Do not fear, Wi11iams fans catch me here icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please keep your own clans info inside your own thread Dave mate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wi11iams:

Do not fear, Wi11iams fans catch me here icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please keep your own clans info inside your own thread Dave mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Predictable post of the year. icon_biggrin.gif

ThorErikKjerrgard.jpg

It’s Thor with The Hammers!

Just when you think the ludicrousness at West Ham couldn’t get any worse, in walks a towering hitman by the name of Thor Erik Kjerrgård to take over the helm as manager. Sporting an Armani suit, complete with Gucci shoes and designer sunglasses, the flamboyant Norwegian thought his driver had taken a wrong turn as he casually strolled out of his limousine and took in the view of The Boleyn Ground.

Where am I? Is this it? For the love of everything that is good and wholesome, please tell me this is not what I signed up for!

A bunch of kids who wanted autographs were quickly brushed aside as the mighty Thor headed inside for an impromptu press-conference.

Q: Mr Kjerrgård, if we could have a word… first thing first; how is your english?

A: Listen, little man. Last night I had an epiphany. Do you know what epiphany means? Don’t worry, I’ll get you a dictionary later. I mapped out the future of West Ham football club: No more relegation. No more anguish. Only happy days.

Q: So it won’t take a miracle to save West Ham from relegation this time around?

A: The only miracle that needs to happen is for reporters to stop asking me stupid questions! Let me go on record right now by saying that we will reach European qualification this season. Anything less than that, and you can take me out behind the wood shed and shoot me.

Q: Is European qualification at all realistic though, considering the vast quantum of underachieving players your predecessor has assembled?

A: They are hoodlums for sure. Every one of their heads will be on the chopping block. I want us to play sexy football. To do this we obviously need new players. The master plan is already in place.

Q: Finally, can you just tell us what in the blue hell has possessed you? Are you at all well?

A: I’ll show you, you’ll see!!!

And with that, the delicate genius stormed out of the press-room. A hush fell over the gathered journalist. The Premiership, as we know it, may never be the same again...

epl.jpg

Despite the lack of updates recently, EPL Challenge is still going strong and also will accept one or two more players to the "love in" we share three days a week. Anyone interested should come to the Mirc room #eplchallenge on a specific game night to face the Liggins/Bouchard version of the Spanish Inquisition. Sam just loves getting those rubber gloves on and asking applicants to "bend over" - so make him a happy man and come along to the room and sell yourself to us. They are two big pussies, really!

Due to changing circumstances and not to mention having a bloody fast PC, Ben Jackson has taken over EPL Challenge hosting duties for the forseeable future and will also be responsible for maintaining EPL's status of clan of the year from here on forward. Oh dear, what have I done to my wonderful game? icon_eek.gif

So, good luck to Ben in his new hosting role as it's fair to say its a demanding and pretty thankless task. However, to do a good job all he has to do is play with integrity and fairness avoiding FM Scout (just like meself) and I'm sure he'll do a grand job, though not as good as me, obviously. icon14.gif

Onto season 2010/11 then and it seems I have been designated prediction duties:

Ben "Roubles" Jackson - Chelsea

I'm afraid to announce that Ben Jackson continues to reside at Chelsea building a team off the blood, sweat and toil of the Russian peasantry. Ben has no scruples and no morals so he is perfect for the job of public and private enemy number one.

Unfortunately, Ben has also built a team that has won the title three years in succession. His Chelsea side is based primarily on pace, with a little flair thrown in and has the fearsome front three of Fred, Vucinic and Michael Owen to rotate, giving Jackson options that only a Chelsea manager could boast. However, everybody knows that the Chelsea team is getting old and Fat Frank, John Terry and Peter Cack will not be around forever. Is the decline around the corner? I hope so.

This is an important year for Chelsea as Ben has threatened us all that he will remain there until he wins the Champions League. And on past record, he could be there for some time! icon_biggrin.gif

And that is the crux of the matter. The Champions League is exactly what Ben has not delivered in his time at Chelsea and they didn't come close to doing so last season. In fact, the failure to add the Champions League trophy to the Stamford Bridge cabinet leaves a huge question mark hanging over the Jackson tenure. Surely, given the side he inherited and the players he has bought, this trophy was a pre-requisite? It's not even a question. Real Madrid got in the way last season and I see no significant improvement to the Chelsea squad so far this to suggest they are any better this. European Champions. More chance of Ben telling a funny joke. icon_biggrin.gif

In the Premiership, my own Liverpool will once again provide the major challenge and everyone knows we were robbed of the title last season at the very death. Bookies couldn't split Chelsea, Liverpool and Wenger's Arsenal for the title so it will be an interesting race. This year I predict the end of the Chelsea hegememony. What is for sure is that the other EPL bosses need to start to pick some points off Chelsea cos this can't go on.

Premiership: 2nd

Champions League: Semi Final

FA Cup: Winners

League Cup: Runners-Up

Niall Murphy - Liverpool

Well let me tell you a story. Murphy collected the Carling Cup last season and was on the way to add the Premiership, FA Cup and the UEFA Cup to the trophy haul. However, one missed session later and Murphy was left with just the Premiership to play for. And this was conceded on the last day, when all we had to do was beat Van Gaal's Newcastle United at home to win the league title. Unfortunately, we lost 3-2 and the title remained at Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool have lifted two trophies in the last two seasons in the FA Cup and the Carling Cup. We have also been runners up for the past three seasons in a row. Last season we mainly didn't win the Premiership for two reasons. Firstly, despite the best away record in the Premiership, we lost too many points at Anfield. And secondly, the best defence in the Premiership the year before, began to leak in too many goals which, as we were in deadly form going forward, cost us the title.

This season I identified two issues. Firstly, Chelsea's advantage was due to having a world class keeper whereas I was relying on Isaksson and Schmeichel who are good keepers but not top level. Therefore, I have splashed an extraordinary £23m on Akineev in an attempt to rectify this issue. Secondly, I wanted more options on the right side of midfield so that I could move Steven Gerrard back into the centre. So £12m was also spent on James Milner to add more depth here.

Overall the Liverpool squad is now in very good shape but for me this is a crucial season. With Gerrard having turned 30 and Alonso also approaching his 30s,the time of having the best central pairing in the Premiership may be coming to a close. Serious money will need to be re-invested in the central midfield soon and replacing the likes of Gerrard will not be easy.

However, with Podolski having a fantastic season last year, Cisse still banging them in at an incredible rate and Pazzini and the young Ekin in the squad, prompted by the flair play of Roncatto on the wing, this could at last be our season.

In the Champions League, Liverpool reached the semi final the year before, but last season performed poorly, exiting the competition at the group stage to everyone's surprise. With Akineev signing after the squad deadline, we'll need the exisiting players to put in a much better defensive performance this season to reach the round of sixteen. We have the squad, but so far we haven't had the luck.

Predictions:

Premiership: 1st

Champions League: Semis

FA Cup: 4th Round

Carling Cup: 4th Round

Richard "UEFA Cup Boy" Liggins - Middlesbrough

Well Ligs did a very good job last season taking Middlesbrough into the top four in the league table which was his aim at the start of the season. But Ligs was dealt a cruel (and hilarious) blow, when Man City surprisingly went all the way in the Champions League and denied Ligs a position in this years top club competition, relegating the Brummie to the UEFA Cup. icon14.gif

It was indeed a nasty blow for Ligs who in my opinion had lacked ambition throughout the campaign in his overt sacrificing of both domestic cup competitions in order to secure 4th spot and to attempt to win the UEFA Cup. But when Real Betis knocked Middlesbrough out of the UEFA relatively early, the folly of throwing all his eggs into the once basket became abundantly clear. icon_biggrin.gif

Despite Middlesbrough's improvement in recent years and Ligs' impressive rebuilding of the club after the disatrous tenure of Joe-Rojek-Smith, Middlesbrough remain trophyless and have yet to really come close to adding any silverware at all to what is a pretty bare cupboard.

But this season, Ligs' work has been acknowledged by the bookmakers who have made them 33-1 outsiders for the title. With a few additions made to the squad, the blow Ligs received missing out on Milner (who he bid £12m for) was softened. This season coming is a big one for Ligs. In my mind, his side are now the third best human side and a lot depends then on two things for his final league position. Firstly, how will the two major AI clubs in Arsenal and Man City perform this year and secondly, can Pagi turn Man Utd into a Premiership force. If Pagi performs in tandem with Arsenal and City, I think Ligs will struggle to repeat his finish of 4th place, falling just short in 6th. I expect Ligs to put up a better effort in the UEFA Cup this season, but if he continues his policy of ignoring the domestic cups, I see another trophyless season in store for Middlesbrough. Surely the fans deserve some silverware!

Predicition:

Premiership: 5th

UEFA Cup: Semi Final

FA Cup: 5th Round

Carling Cup: 3rd Round

David "Give him 3 months" Pagi - Manchester United

Really it is time for Pagi to deliver the goods and he is at a club at which he should be delivering. He's also at a club where many of the other managers will be counting on his failure as the key to their route into the big time. Mentioning no names, Sam Bouchard surely has been to see his local witch doctor and has his Pagi doll at the ready, pins and needles in hand with evil grin on his face, ready to plunge Pagi into witchcraft madness. Can Pagi deliver and can he do it quickly?

And there-in lies the problem cos Pagi has untaken (rightly) a huge squad overhaul, which was required at Man Utd, after years of little investment in the team. The problem also is that there is yet to be one signing made by the Old Trafford club that has made rivals sit up and think Pagi's on the right track here. At Man Utd, Pagi needs to be delivering world class players and as yet I see potentially good players but nothing outstanding. Which is a shame but he may yet surprise us and the game needs a third club in the mix.

Pagi's biggest mistake so far for me was leaving a Tottenham side that he had built into one of England's leading teams, for an ill fated spell at Inter Milan. And early signs aren't good after an embarrassing exit from Europe in the Inter-Toto cup. On the bright side though, no European football gives Pagi the opportunity to concentrate on finishing in a good position and he has to grasp that opportunity in what is his best chance of lifting a Premiership title in EPL Challenge in some time.

Premiership: 6th

FA Cup: Quarters

Carling Cup: Semis

Sam "Soap Box" Bouchard - Aston Villa:

Anyone who has seen Groundhog day just needs to apply the script to Bouchard's Aston Villa career. A brilliant starter to almost every campaign then a blip, small recovery before another inconsistent blip leads Villa to their ultimate destination - 7th place and no cups.

This season I see little different as Villa's top keepers are injured early doors but the defence looks more than a little ropey to me and may be the cause of Villa going backwards this season. Up top and in defence, Sammy Boy is well sorted with Shane Paul and Kranjcar pulling the strings. Srna on the right side is also a very strong player.

Villa have a good side but Sam needs to pull the finger out on the tactics front imo. They will score goals but let them in and I'd like to see Sam being able to protect a lead a little more, especially against human opposition. With a little more subtley (not something one associates with le boss) Villa could surprise and pick up a cup. Very hard to beat at Villa Park, a better away record could see some progress for Villa but...

Prediction: 8th

FA Cup: semis

League cup: 4th Round

Mo "The Intrepid Reporter" Ilyas - Everton

Mo's Everton only turn up twice a season. For both Merseyside derbies against erstwhile foe Murphy's Liverpool. So far Mo has made steady but unspectacular progress at Everton and has languished in mid table for the majority of the time since he hung up the apron and returned to full time management. Apart from his victory over myself at Goodison Park, the signs have not been there that Everton are about to challenge the top half of the table and with Mo bemoaning a lack of firepower, it appears the Everton boss is not convinced that is about to change.

But Mo has the ability to spot a player (though he doesn't always have the willingness to sign the check the tight git) and can out tactic anyone on his day which makes him always a dangerous opponent. This season coming I predict more of the same though I think there will be minor improvement until Mo's new team is fully developed. A cup run can't be ruled out though if he gets some luck in the draw.

Premiership: 9th

FA Cup: Quarters

Carling Cup: Semis

Steven "Going, going, gone" Diprose - Sunderland

No doubt about it for me, Steve's Sunderland will go straight back up into the Premiership at the first attempt as Champions. Steve has been very unlucky. Just as he was taking Sunderland to the verge of Europe, his internet connection went at uni, he missed a vital pre-season and the start of 2009/10 and saw Sunderland marooned to the bottom of the table. Eventually though, Steve turned it around to put together an incredible run in the last third of the season, but an amazing 5-5 draw with already relegated Crystal Palace sealed his fate. Steve was a goner! Again! Nevertheless, his team is too good for the Championship and will come back up with ease.

Championship: 1st

FA Cup: 4th Round

Leage Cup: 3rd Round

Thor the Viking - Brazil Ham United

And so to EPL Challenge's Swedish newcomer who promises to blow us all away with "sexy football". Well with any new player you never know what is in store but so far Thor has talked a good game and has backed it up with a multitude of Brazilian signings that should add a lot of flair to the East London outfit. In fact Thor must have spent approximately £30m in his short time in EPL Challenge which makes you wonder about the long time secuity of the club!

As with any new player, if it goes well, Thor may hang around, but if it doesn't the question will be - does he have the application, patience and the desire to turn it around and make a name for himself as a top online player and not just a single player demon. My early impression of Thor is that he is a possible outstanding addition to the clan. Lets hope he is and he enjoys the game.

Premiership: 10th

FA Cup: 5th Round

Carling Cup: Winners

RichardLiggins.jpg

New season, new hopes

The start of Liggins' 3rd full season at the helm at Middlesboro is filled with excitement. With Champions League football cruely snatched away from Boro last season, it gives the squad more focus to continue to improve in the league and to break the stranglehold of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. The squad has been bolstered by some crafty additions:

IN

Andre Roth - MC,FC - Free: 21 year old prospect for the future

Tom Soares - MC - Free: Good age, will add depth to the squad

Fabrizio Miccoli - AM,FC - Free: Quality player to come off the bench

John Welsh - DR,DM,MRC - Free: Mid 20's, good back up player

Omer Baig - DM,MRC - £525k from Wrexham: 17 year old with a great future in the game

Kalle Ljungberg - AMRLC,FC - £4mil from Bastia: 25 year old creative midfielder, will add more guile in the final 3rd

Rodrigo Dias - D/WB/MR - £4mil from Porto: Brilliant 25 year old right back, really pleased to get him

Total spend - £8.5million

OUT

19 rubbish youth players released

David Marshall - Gk - £1mil to Everton

David Wheater - DC - £400k to Grimsby

Stuart Parnaby - DR - £1.5mil to Celtic

Noe Pamarot - DRC - £500k to Sheff Utd

Total received - £3.4mil

Despite only spending £5mil nett, the squad has certainly improved, and there is still money available if anyone catches my eye.

Season 2010/11

The fixture computer hasn't been kind to Boro, handing them 3 away games from the first 4 fixtures. Not only that, the opening match sees us head down the M6 to tackle Jackson's Champions Chelsea. 4 days later we entertain Mo Ilyas' Everton, before another trip down the M6 to Villa Park, where Sam Bouchard's men will be after revenge for a last minute defeat last season. The opening month of the campaign could well shape Boro's season

NiallMurphy.jpg

Liverpool look to bounce back from title disappointment

Season 2010/11 is a massive season for our lads having had the title cruelly taken from us on the very last day of the season when Newcastle surprisingly beat us at Anfield. Despite winning the Carling Cup, there was a sense of disappointment around Anfield at a poor European Champions League campaign and a very unfortunate exit in the UEFA Cup semi final to PSV Eindhoven. Therefore, as I enter my fouth full season at Liverpool there remains a lot to achieve with the club hoping that this season we will end Chelsea's reign at the top of the Premiership and make a mark in the European Cup.

Liverpool First XVI 2010/11

GK: Akineev

RB: Leyrielton

LB: Maxwell

CB: Milito

CB: Kompany

CM: Alonso

CM: Gerrard

LM: Roncatto

RM: Renato

CF: Podolski

ST: Cisse

S1: Castan

S2: Kallstrom

S3: Riise

S4: Pazzini

S5: Isaksson

Despite losing the curtain raiser to Chelsea after a dismal goalkeeping performance by Kasper Schmeichel, a 3-1 away win to Rosenborg in the Champions League qualifier has restored confidence ahead of the big kick off.

Liverpool will start with an away trip to the midlands to take on Liggins' old club WBA. Then it's Norwich at home before an away day at bogey side Charlton. With struggling Spurs to follow in the Premiership, the aim is to take the maximum 12 Premiership points available in August and secure Champions Leage Group Stage football by completing the job against Rosenborg. Hopefully Liggins will rise to the occasion against Chelsea on the opening day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vitamin C:

I mapped out the future of West Ham football club: No more relegation. No more anguish. Only happy days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where King and Doughty lead, Thor promises not to follow. I await to see what will happen here with interest. icon14.gif

BenJackson.jpg

Plenty Of Roubles

After completing a glorious league and cup double last season icon_biggrin.gif, I’ll be looking to really show everyone who the best team in the Premiership and Europe is once and for all this season but I know the pressure is on to finally fulfil our potential in the Champions League which is where we’ve been lacking in previous seasons.

Over the summer, I’ve gone out and spent 3.5m on new keeper Kevin Goeman who’s only 22 and looks to have the potential to do well at the club so will provide great backup to Cech, 6.5m on versatile midfielder Alexandre Bonnet who has great passing ability and can put in a great cross and I’ve also brought in midfielder Fellype Gabriel for 7.5m who is your typical Brazilian with bags of skill on the ball.

I feel we still need another centre back but other than that, I'm extremely happy with the look of my squad and the depth of the squad should help lessen the blow of injuries if they happen.

The first game of the season went well as we took on arch rivals Liverpool in the Community Shield in what was tipped to be a tight game but in the end, we took them apart winning the game 5-2 with second half sub Owen grabbing 4 goals in a terrific performance icon_cool.gif.

2010/11 Squad

GK Cech

GK Goeman

DR Rafinha

DR Edilson

DL Del Horno

DL Limbersky

DC Terry

DC Barzagli

DC King

MR Robben

MR Gabriel

ML Gonzalez

ML Van Persie

MC Lampard

MC Sivok

MC Pinzi

MC Bonnet

SC Gilardino

SC Fred

SC Owen

SC Vucinic

I’m feeling really confident about the upcoming season so could it be a historic season for the Blues???

Wait and see!!!.

ThorErikKjerrgard.jpg

Fo shizzle dizzle up the hizzouse

The rumors regarding the newly appointed West Ham boss were that he’s a wheeling-dealing son of a gun. So far it’s been just that. It’s like a revolving door, says a local newspaper journalist. One day it’s our star striker leaving, the other day a complete unknown 21 year old arrive. I don’t even know what’s happening anymore!

As his team prepare for their opening match at White Hart Lane, these are the players who so far have been hoodwinked into joining Thor’s army:

Michael Boyd – MC - £675K from Man Utd: Signing made by the previous manager, and a hoodlum who was sent packing faster than he could say Michael Bolton.

Clàudio – AM/FC – 13.5M from Toulouse: Part of the Palmeiras first team squad at only 15 years of age, this Brazilian sensation was scoring for fun before being lured into Europe with the promise of all the free wine he could drink at Toulouse. Now ready to take on the Premiership, many feel he is the best centre forward of his generation.

Andrès D’Alessandro – AM C - £7M from Fiorentina: The playmaker. At 29 years old, this wily old cat still got a few tricks left in him.

Nikola Zigic – ST - £475K from Birmingham: The only player in the Premiership taller than the mighty Thor! Could he be the Kryptonite to stop the Supermen of Kompany and Milito?

Tomas Hübschman – D RC - £4M from Rangers: Solid centre back who can also deputize at right-back. Player who is sure to get in a few dirty tackles from behind.

Rodrigo Tiuì – ST - £16.25M from Corinthians: The most complete striker to join West Ham since Sheringham. Will score and create at will.

Fàbio Santos – D/WB/M L - £6M from São Paulo: With his temperament known to be quite aggressive, this signing could be a bit of a gamble. He has already managed to upset the West Ham supporters by charging £10 for every autograph signed.

Alessio Cerci – AM/F RC – loan from Aston Villa: A gift from Sensational Sam at Villa, and something which the West Ham manager will remember in future dealings. Should occupy the right wing and feed Zigic.

Wayne Routledge – AM RL – loan from Aston Villa: He’s got pace and technique in abundance, but his mentality is suspect. Is said to be pleased to come back to London where he can once again live with his mom.

Anthony Le Tallec – AM RC, F C – loan from Lens: Very composed player who will try to fight his way into Thor’s starting eleven. He may be French, but he’s got skills

14th August 2010

Tottenham 2

Neil Allen 64

Fernando Cavenaghi 71

West Ham 1

Rodrigo Tiuì 73

West Ham looked threatening going forward, but it was their inability to bring in a new goalkeeper that would cost them the match. Avitabile was shockingly poor in goal and never inspired confidence in his defenders. Fàbio Santos disgracing himself just before full time by earning himself a red card and a subsequent 3 match ban.

17th August 2010

Diego – GK - £5M from Flamengo: A sign of relief from the West Ham supporters as a quality goalkeeper was brought in. Diego’s fee could rise to £10M depending on appearances.

18th August 2010

West Ham 5

Clàudio 30

Dean Leacock 46

Andrès D’Alessandro 53

Alessio Cerci 81

Anthony Le Tallec 88

Bolton 2

Matthew Hazley 67, 76

And so to the first home game of the season. A jam-packed crowd eagerly awaited the promise of sexy football that their new manager had promised. They weren’t disappointed. Clàudio opening the scoring with an absolute screamer after a half hour had gone by. The surprise performance came from Dean Leacock, who looked like a regular Brazilian right-back running up and down the wing!

21th August 2010

Wigan 1

Stephen Elliott 80

West Ham 6

Nikola Zigic 1

Andrès D’Alessandro 26, 28

Clàudio 41, 45

Freddy Guarìn 90

When Zigic headed home a Routledge cross after just 45 seconds, fans knew it was only going to go one way. Guarìn controlled the game from his deep midfield role, finding the silky runs of Clàudio who again netted. Next up will be a real test for Thor, as his side face off against the European Champions...

21th August 2010

Andrès Felipe Gonzàlez – DC - £7.25M from Charlton: The dominos are falling into place at The Boleyn Ground. West Ham now have a sturdy defense that will not be frightened by the likes of Chelsea.

23th August 2010

Chiquinho – D/WB/M L – £4.9M from Internacional: Chiquinho is what sexy football is all about, declares Kjerrgård. In fact, we may now be oversexed! West Ham fans must be drooling at the prospect of Chiquinho and Fàbio Santos running down their left wing.

West Ham 3

Clàudio 33

Matthew Taylor 77

Sylvain Distin own goal 88

Man City 2

Tomas Hübschman own goal 26

James Keene 29

Doubt surely had to sneak in as Kjerrgård’s men were down 2-0 within the first half hour. It took two substitutions at half time, and a minor tactical tweak to start a remarkable comeback. 3-2 the final score. Confidence inside the West Ham locker-room is now said to be sky high.

RichardLiggins.jpg

The story so far...

5 games in and Boro are where I expected us to be.

Opening game of the season saw a trip to Stamford Bridge to take on reigning champs Chelsea. In an evenly fought game, Chelsea just had the edge, altho if we'd held out until half time then it might all have been different. As it was, Robben scored in the last minute of injury time at the end of the first half, and Lampard added a 2nd to get the reigning champions off to a winning start. Chelsea 2-0 Boro

Next up saw Ilyas' Everton travel to the Riverside, a ground where they were thumped 4-0 last season. As ever in a game against an Ilyas side, the match was turgid. It took 37 minutes before any effort even slightly towards the goal was recorded, but a minute later Collins John actually hit the target and the back of the net. Boro were in control, but then, around the 72nd minute, Everton finally registered a shot at goal, not just a shot on target, but an actual shot! Typically it went in, and Everton looked on course for a most uinlikely and undeserved point. Thankfully, justice was done when Yakubu found a winner in the last minute, after Darren Bent had been sent off earlier. Boro 2-1 Everton

3rd difficult game of the opening week saw a trip to Villa Park, and what turned out to be an extraordinary game. The first half saw 2 penalties, 2 sendings off, a keeper stretchered off injured, and 6 goals all shared between the 2 teams. But when the 3rd red and penalty went against Boro, the match was over as a contest. I'll let Sam Bouchard, Villa boss, give a more detailed account of the match (as I don't have the match file) which will be talked about for years to come. Villa 5-3 Boro

Next up, Norwich away. Norwich somehow snatched a victory in this fixture last season, and looked like doing the same this, leading 2-0 at the break. Despite Boro totally dominating throughout, they had to settle for a point after a Yakubu double in the 2nd half, following his first half hatrick at Villa Park. 2 points definetely dropped. Norwich 2-2 Boro

5th game of the season saw West Brom visit fortress Riverside, where only one away team went away with all 3 points last season. 20 minutes in, 2-0 down, West Brom lose a defender as he gives away a penalty and gets sent off: there already monumental task just got even harder. Rosenberg, Downing and Neil Clement each bagged two goals; Clement, remember, is a West Brom defender! For Downing it was a game to remember, not just bagging 2 goals but also a hatrick of assists, before limping off towards the end. Thankfully, the injury wasn't serious. Boro's season started here. Boro 8 (EIGHT) -0 WBA

Lol it was my interpretation that GPG usage was frowned upon...things have obviously laxed since ET took the reigns.

And seriously where did all that Money come from at West Ham...Could it be Ben is gifting money for ass-tickles icon15.gif

Archived