Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.1.3

I'm finding strikers are scoring perhaps a little too few overall?

Top scorer in Europe in each of my 2 seasons so far was by no means a "big name", and only managed 22 goals and 24 goals respectively.

This seems somewhat on the low side considering the quality of strikers out there and respective real life totals.

Admittedly you cannot always have someone grab 30 in the league, but if you look back through the recent history of Premier League top scorer list it does seem to be 50% under 30 goals, 50% over 30 goals. So far, in my save at least, no one seems close to getting the 30 league goals in a season.

Some ongoing refinement is going on with shot selection and placement, which will likely impact this area.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to hear, thanks for the reply.

Worth posting some stats up in the bugs forum or is this covered?

What SI are really after is .pkm examples of players in one on one situations who either miss altogether, or who "pass" it to the keeper instead of slotting it either side of him.

If you (and others) can provide any examples like that, it would be very handy.

"The club cannot currently afford this player". Anyone else see this popping up. I am nearly £1.8m per week under wage budget and have over £60m in transfer fees available. However, I cannot offer anymore than £8k per week. That makes no sense and I have no restrictions that are obvious. Anyone else experiencing this or has my game just gone a bit bonkers again?

I've raised this as an issue in the past with saved games etc. I'm sure its being looked into. Its just text so doesn't impact any potential player purchases

instead of slotting it either side of him

This is spot on and is exactly what is missing from the ME. No measured side-foot finishes. It's either blasted in the top corner, put in the stands or scuffed in to the keeper's hands.

Only a minor irritation but why do Ass Men insist on telling you "Ron Player is looking exhausted and we should think about subbing him" followed instantly with "Ron Player has picked up a knock but should be able to shake it off." If it's the second it's not the first. You shouldn't get them as a pair like that.

Once the game has decided you've enough winning you're going to lose no mather what. It's the same thing with clean sheets.

That is an absolute rubbish. I understand complaints about bugs within match engine etc. (i'm also complaining about those), but saying stuff like 'the game is rigged, computer doesn't want you to win' is beyond ridiculous.

Changing the mentality to overload doesn't mean you're gonna score or create chances. Happens in real life all the time when teams throw everything into attack, but can't create anything because the other team is defending so well.

Only a minor irritation but why do Ass Men insist on telling you "Ron Player is looking exhausted and we should think about subbing him" followed instantly with "Ron Player has picked up a knock but should be able to shake it off." If it's the second it's not the first. You shouldn't get them as a pair like that.

The reason is that the recommendation is based on current condition percentage, and players recover a little after getting the knock. There isn't enough intelligence to understand this, it is as simple as player is under 70% condition, recommend subbing him, player above 70% do not recommend. Exact % may vary but that's the reason.

A thing i really HATE about is players complaining I sold off a an "important" player to the team. The players that are sold is mostly 2 stars that never ever played for my team! How is he considered an important player? To sell a younger player and the whole team complaining and wanted to leave? really? This should be fixed IMO.

Haven't played the last few versions, but thought to give this one a try again as I've enjoyed the series from the CM times onwards.

I've found the following bugs quite irritating:

• When a defender is tracking a lost ball, he is jogging towards it where the opposing striker just runs past him and takes the ball
  • The players are still quite slow in reacting to rebounds/saves
  • A LOT of clear cut chances are missed
  • Corner tactics are being largely ignored: players still taking random corners when asking for near post / far post corners
  • Players are too selfish when placed in impossible situations, instead of passing the ball: player is on the line (180* of the goal line) and still tries to score instead of passing to penalty area where a player has a clear cut chance
  • Unrealistic possion and chances and this is certainly the fact when you're playing against extremely lower rated teams (you still win though, but the number of chances are unrealistic --> Man City - Bournemouth : both teams have 20 shots each at goal)
  • To further elaborate the possions issue: most of the highlights during the game are from team A, but team B still has a greater posession percentage and shots at goal
  • I found that a lot of players are getting injured during a game
  • When a player is injured during the game, the opposing team doesn't shoot the ball of the pitch so he can be treated (in real games this also doesn't always happen, but I still haven't encountered this yet in FM)
  • What also happened was that a player from team A was injured and team A tried to get the ball off the pitch, but team B just managed to keep it in and resumed the play
  • Unrealistic transfer demands: when selling a player the AI offers really low amounts but when trying to buy one the AI asks unrealistic high prices -> out of mere interest I went on holiday to skip to the end of the season where I tried to buy some good regens (15-16 years old) and the AI was asking 20mil-40mil for those players
  • Getting a lot of loan offers for only one month for my younger players
  • Not really sure if the touchline team talks have somewhat of an influance on the game?
  • A lot of players being tackled (thus meaning the opposing player falls on the ground) in the penalty box (from the 3D perspective not all of them are on the ball) but almost none of them result in a penalty
  • Saves take a lot of time

These are some of the issues I encountered and still remember and not sure if other players encountered similar situations

at least someone else sees it, thanks

So now we have 2 people with tinfoil hats on? It just doesn't happen. The game doesn't cause you to draw/lose just because your rivals did. For some reason the game is always first to get blamed, instead of yourself.

Haven't played the last few versions, but thought to give this one a try again as I've enjoyed the series from the CM times onwards.

I've found the following bugs quite irritating:

• When a defender is tracking a lost ball, he is jogging towards it where the opposing striker just runs past him and takes the ball
  • The players are still quite slow in reacting to rebounds/saves
  • A LOT of clear cut chances are missed
  • Corner tactics are being largely ignored: players still taking random corners when asking for near post / far post corners
  • Players are too selfish when placed in impossible situations, instead of passing the ball: player is on the line (180* of the goal line) and still tries to score instead of passing to penalty area where a player has a clear cut chance
  • Unrealistic possion and chances and this is certainly the fact when you're playing against extremely lower rated teams (you still win though, but the number of chances are unrealistic --> Man City - Bournemouth : both teams have 20 shots each at goal)
  • To further elaborate the possions issue: most of the highlights during the game are from team A, but team B still has a greater posession percentage and shots at goal
  • I found that a lot of players are getting injured during a game
  • When a player is injured during the game, the opposing team doesn't shoot the ball of the pitch so he can be treated (in real games this also doesn't always happen, but I still haven't encountered this yet in FM)
  • What also happened was that a player from team A was injured and team A tried to get the ball off the pitch, but team B just managed to keep it in and resumed the play
  • Unrealistic transfer demands: when selling a player the AI offers really low amounts but when trying to buy one the AI asks unrealistic high prices -> out of mere interest I went on holiday to skip to the end of the season where I tried to buy some good regens (15-16 years old) and the AI was asking 20mil-40mil for those players
  • Getting a lot of loan offers for only one month for my younger players
  • Not really sure if the touchline team talks have somewhat of an influance on the game?
  • A lot of players being tackled (thus meaning the opposing player falls on the ground) in the penalty box (from the 3D perspective not all of them are on the ball) but almost none of them result in a penalty
  • Saves take a lot of time

These are some of the issues I encountered and still remember and not sure if other players encountered similar situations

Ok I'll answer since I don't agree with everything:

- Representational issue. The point here is that the defender was just slower than the attacker. However it does look weird.

- Needs some fixing and I guess it is being fixed

- Not too many in my opinion. I would say that too many non-clear cut chances are turned into goals!

- Ordering people to do something doesn't mean they will always succeed in doing it!

- Well not all players are non selfish...happens a lot irl too

- Doesn't happen for me tbh, much weaker oppositions we usually thrash

- Might help you to watch Extended or Comprehensive Highlights!

- Injuries are fine

- They always kick the ball out of the field in my FM15.

- Never happened to me! Sounds like a bug

- Smart AI isn't it? :p

- Didn't see that so I can't say..

- That's also a mystery to me. I do them though from time to time, just for fun of it

- Representational issue, they were probably tackled correctly/legally

- Oh boy yes they do... It's being fixed

Not specific to FM15, but my main issue with FM ME's in general is the whole concept of it, which I believe leads to many complaints I see in the forums. The engine calculates the result of a match, and what we see is the representation of what could have happened so that the match ended with that particular score. That's the tricky part. It is obviously clear that the players' attributes are important in calculating the match result, but how important are they when it comes to what we see in ME?

Let's say you and your opponents use a tactic that will make the goals from crosses more likely, because you are using 4 wingers and fullbacks, and the opponent plays with a very narrow formation. And for the sake of argument let's also say that you are by far the superior team. To me it feels like the engine will recognize your superior strength and let's say it will calculate a 4-0 for final score. The problem is, in hat situation the ME is likely to show you bunch of goals that came from crosses, and it will not care if your striker scoring those headers is 5'8, vs. bunch of 6'4 stoppers. I feel like ME is forced to show you a goal like that, and even though unlikely you would think it is, you will see many goals like that.

Or we can think about another example where a midfielder with long shot attribute as low as 8 scoring 2-3 screamers in a match. Hence we see people coming to the forums and complaining like 'how come my midfielders with 18 long shot can't hit anything where my opponent's midfielder with 9 long shot scored two from 30 yard, this game is rigged'.

Same applies to a common complaint about how the matches from lower leagues look the same as matches from premiere league. Then somebody answers 'you will see the difference if an LLM team plays against a premiere team', which is true but completely missing the point. If Chelsea will play against, say Plymouth, the ME will show how Chelsea dominated the match which ended 6-0, but then the ME will look exactly the same when Plymouth will beat an even weaker team 6-0. Plymouth's midfielders with 9 long shot will be able to score the same goals that Chelsea players scored against them.

I am just speculating, of course, but from what I see from FM ME's, attributes are taken into account only when calculating the ME, and not so much in the match representation.

Not specific to FM15, but my main issue with FM ME's in general is the whole concept of it, which I believe leads to many complaints I see in the forums. The engine calculates the result of a match, and what we see is the representation of what could have happened so that the match ended with that particular score. That's the tricky part. It is obviously clear that the players' attributes are important in calculating the match result, but how important are they when it comes to what we see in ME?

Let's say you and your opponents use a tactic that will make the goals from crosses more likely, because you are using 4 wingers and fullbacks, and the opponent plays with a very narrow formation. And for the sake of argument let's also say that you are by far the superior team. To me it feels like the engine will recognize your superior strength and let's say it will calculate a 4-0 for final score. The problem is, in hat situation the ME is likely to show you bunch of goals that came from crosses, and it will not care if your striker scoring those headers is 5'8, vs. bunch of 6'4 stoppers. I feel like ME is forced to show you a goal like that, and even though unlikely you would think it is, you will see many goals like that.

Or we can think about another example where a midfielder with long shot attribute as low as 8 scoring 2-3 screamers in a match. Hence we see people coming to the forums and complaining like 'how come my midfielders with 18 long shot can't hit anything where my opponent's midfielder with 9 long shot scored two from 30 yard, this game is rigged'.

Same applies to a common complaint about how the matches from lower leagues look the same as matches from premiere league. Then somebody answers 'you will see the difference if an LLM team plays against a premiere team', which is true but completely missing the point. If Chelsea will play against, say Plymouth, the ME will show how Chelsea dominated the match which ended 6-0, but then the ME will look exactly the same when Plymouth will beat an even weaker team 6-0. Plymouth's midfielders with 9 long shot will be able to score the same goals that Chelsea players scored against them.

I am just speculating, of course, but from what I see from FM ME's, attributes are taken into account only when calculating the ME, and not so much in the match representation.

You've got that a little backwards. It doesn't generate the result first. It generates EVERYTHING that happens in that match and the result is what it is. You get to see the highlights afterward, yes.

So now we have 2 people with tinfoil hats on? It just doesn't happen. The game doesn't cause you to draw/lose just because your rivals did. For some reason the game is always first to get blamed, instead of yourself.
I think it's strange how 2 seasons in a row when my rivals lost/drew I also drew 0-0 with bottom of the league who had a 100% loss rate and a -43 GD.

I think it's strange how 2 seasons in a row when my rivals lost/drew I also drew 0-0 with bottom of the league who had a 100% loss rate and a -43 GD.

If you can't beat a team that bad, it isn't the game's fault. As you said in the other thread, the game has an element of skill. :)

If you can't beat a team that bad, it isn't the game's fault. As you said in the other thread, the game has an element of skill. :)
"If" the game has an element of skill, which I believe it does to the extent you couldn't play 9-0-1 and be successful. Of course things seperate the more successful managers from the not-so-successful but I think certain elements are added into the game to make it harder and more frustrating than need be. Who knows, maybe it's just my inner bad-loser than refuses to own up to my mistakes :D

"If" the game has an element of skill, which I believe it does to the extent you couldn't play 9-0-1 and be successful. Of course things seperate the more successful managers from the not-so-successful but I think certain elements are added into the game to make it harder and more frustrating than need be. Who knows, maybe it's just my inner bad-loser than refuses to own up to my mistakes :D

There is no scripting, no rigging, no fixed matches.

These stories aren't so awesome when you're on the receiving end of them! But yeah, I am very quick to jump to conclusions I'll admit

They are! Ok not exactly at the moment they happen, but when thinking about them or talking about them later on, you'll see why it was cool that FM provided this thrill to you. For example one of my most memorable FM14 moments was a LOST Cup Final with Berwick Rangers, even though we were demolished completely. I just remember the whole course to the final and even if it had a disappointing ending it was a really cool story, sending out Rangers etc :)

They are! Ok not exactly at the moment they happen, but when thinking about them or talking about them later on, you'll see why it was cool that FM provided this thrill to you. For example one of my most memorable FM14 moments was a LOST Cup Final with Berwick Rangers, even though we were demolished completely. I just remember the whole course to the final and even if it had a disappointing ending it was a really cool story, sending out Rangers etc :)
I wish I was as gracious in defeat as you mate, I'm a rotten loser but I see your point and of course I have had simi;lar moments of awe on the game

mate its been 2 weeks

think im being very patient

Clearly it's taking longer than 2 weeks to complete. I'm pretty sure that a team of software engineers on it can fix it - but it's not up to any of us to dictate how long it will take to complete.

Think of a computer coding problem like a large ball of string, if you try to unravel the problem you have to pull at the strings, some get looser, some get into knots, so you have to work your way along the line of code unknotting knots that were not there before you started pulling on the string.

Just takes time - but we can't dictate how long it will take, nor will they. Maybe it's an issue that is knotting up the system when they try to fix, so now they need to unknot all the things that got knotted while trying to fix it.

Think of Fr Ted trying to knock a dent out of his car

hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

Ok I'll answer since I don't agree with everything:

- Representational issue. The point here is that the defender was just slower than the attacker. However it does look weird. well could be the explenation

- Needs some fixing and I guess it is being fixed

- Not too many in my opinion. I would say that too many non-clear cut chances are turned into goals! haha, well I did had some really nice goals against where I was like 'daaaammnn : o'

- Ordering people to do something doesn't mean they will always succeed in doing it! my brother had the same remark as me, he put the corners to far post but most of them were towards the near post and vice versa so not sure about this one

- Well not all players are non selfish...happens a lot irl too problem here is that I asked them to shoot less towards the goal and use more direct passes

- Doesn't happen for me tbh, much weaker oppositions we usually thrash nice :D

- Might help you to watch Extended or Comprehensive Highlights! I use the extended highlights, so that's why I don't understand it

- Injuries are fine I've noticed it in up and downs where I didn't have any injuries for a period and the other a whole lot more and there I was laughing at my brother when got angry when most of his attacking force was injured, payback's a bitch :(

- They always kick the ball out of the field in my FM15. weird, haven't encounterd this yet

- Never happened to me! Sounds like a bug

- Smart AI isn't it? :pwell you can call it smart, but why should I sell 4 average to good players just to be able buy one good player imo

- Didn't see that so I can't say..

- That's also a mystery to me. I do them though from time to time, just for fun of it

- Representational issue, they were probably tackled correctly/legally could be the issue!

- Oh boy yes they do... It's being fixed yeyy!

* bold *

After watching a lot of full games it seems to me that one major problem is that players lack any real intelligence. The decision, vision, anticipation and such stats seem pretty meaningless. I have world class players in pretty much all positions, but they consistently display lacking understanding of the game.

In real life great players transcend tactical instructions. Top class DC's like Terry and Vidic are not considered ball playing defenders, but they don't hoof the ball aimlessly up the pitch when they are under no pressure and have easy options. Pirlo and Xavi can pick out long range passes when they see Tevez or Neymar in acres of space up front, even though they are instructed to build from the back. If Ronaldo sees 5 guys closing him down from the center, but has acres of space wide, he goes wide even though he is an inside forward who is supposed to cut inside. The examples are pretty much endless.

In FM, players seem to strictly follow the instructions until they don't. And when they don't it is not to take advantage of an opportunity, it is a mistake.

Also, I find the most gifted technical players to be really bad at controlling the ball. World class strikers needing two touches to finish, when any striker worth his salt would volley it home in real life. Especially annoying with completed crosses and my striker gives the defenders an eternity to get in and block. And one touch passing is almost non existent because of the poor technique/first touch. I have seen Ronaldo and Messi fumble the ball and use several touches when it clearly is not necessary. They were not on my team, so it certainly helps me, but it looks absolutely ridiculous.

And I would like an instruction to my wide attackers to anticipate the target man flick ons. Right now they just don't seem to realize or care that I have instructed the deeper players to play long onto the target man, and amble around wide even when they should know the long ball is coming, and they have plenty of time to make the run.

But then, as it has been said in other posts, player movements appear to be lacking something as well.

There is no scripting, no rigging, no fixed matches.

I'd like to think this, I really do.

However, I find it very uncanny that teams in the lower leagues can almost always stage a "comeback" towards the end of the game if they are still within ~2 goals. The changes that they make will almost ALWAYS have a huge impact, forcing you to adapt. Now, this is all fine and dandy and offers a nice challenge, but how is it realistic to watch these part timers play out of their skin in a regular league game? I mean, as long as there's still enough time left, you will see highlight after highlight of the AI bombarding you as if they had just been inspired by Rafa Benitez at Istanbul. Maybe not scripting or rigging, but I cannot help but feel there is some sort of tilt system in place, probably to do with player morale, and the AI abuses it regardless of their club stature and players. Unless your team is comfortably stronger than the opponent, you will almost always see these types of comebacks.

I'd like to think this, I really do.

However, I find it very uncanny that teams in the lower leagues can almost always stage a "comeback" towards the end of the game if they are still within ~2 goals. The changes that they make will almost ALWAYS have a huge impact, forcing you to adapt. Now, this is all fine and dandy and offers a nice challenge, but how is it realistic to watch these part timers play out of their skin in a regular league game? I mean, as long as there's still enough time left, you will see highlight after highlight of the AI bombarding you as if they had just been inspired by Rafa Benitez at Istanbul. Maybe not scripting or rigging, but I cannot help but feel there is some sort of tilt system in place, probably to do with player morale, and the AI abuses it regardless of their club stature and players. Unless your team is comfortably stronger than the opponent, you will almost always see these types of comebacks.

There's a well-known saying. It's not always well-received, but it's true. It's your tactics. At some point in the game, they're going to try and get back into the game. If you don't set up for this, it might end badly for you.

Call it whatever creative name you can come up with, it doesn't exist.

After watching a lot of full games it seems to me that one major problem is that players lack any real intelligence. The decision, vision, anticipation and such stats seem pretty meaningless. I have world class players in pretty much all positions, but they consistently display lacking understanding of the game.

In real life great players transcend tactical instructions. Top class DC's like Terry and Vidic are not considered ball playing defenders, but they don't hoof the ball aimlessly up the pitch when they are under no pressure and have easy options. Pirlo and Xavi can pick out long range passes when they see Tevez or Neymar in acres of space up front, even though they are instructed to build from the back. If Ronaldo sees 5 guys closing him down from the center, but has acres of space wide, he goes wide even though he is an inside forward who is supposed to cut inside. The examples are pretty much endless.

In FM, players seem to strictly follow the instructions until they don't. And when they don't it is not to take advantage of an opportunity, it is a mistake.

Also, I find the most gifted technical players to be really bad at controlling the ball. World class strikers needing two touches to finish, when any striker worth his salt would volley it home in real life. Especially annoying with completed crosses and my striker gives the defenders an eternity to get in and block. And one touch passing is almost non existent because of the poor technique/first touch. I have seen Ronaldo and Messi fumble the ball and use several touches when it clearly is not necessary. They were not on my team, so it certainly helps me, but it looks absolutely ridiculous.

And I would like an instruction to my wide attackers to anticipate the target man flick ons. Right now they just don't seem to realize or care that I have instructed the deeper players to play long onto the target man, and amble around wide even when they should know the long ball is coming, and they have plenty of time to make the run.

But then, as it has been said in other posts, player movements appear to be lacking something as well.

You'll be glad to know that passing, shooting and dribbling decisions are getting attention. This should also seperate the World Class from the average Joe even more.

If you have any specific examples where World Class players aren't doing what they should, PKMs would be welcomed in the Bugs Forum. :)

Well

Preston North End V Man U

MK Dons v Man U

Barnsley v Liverpool

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-gunners-leave-late-180404502--sow.html

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2014/10/28/chelsea_put_to_test_by_minnow_in_league_cup_play.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2735047/MK-Dons-4-0-Manchester-United-League-One-humiliate-Louis-van-Gaal-s-men-Will-Griggs-Benik-Afobe-grab-brace.html

In 2004 Milwall got to the final of the FA cup.

Usually what happens is that they're losing already so throwing everyone forward and pumelling the goal is always an option.

What I do when winning 2 nil and 30 minutes left on the clock is to take off a striker and put on a DM and revert to a counter attack style of play.

You'll be glad to know that passing, shooting and dribbling decisions are getting attention. This should also seperate the World Class from the average Joe even more.

If you have any specific examples where World Class players aren't doing what they should, PKMs would be welcomed in the Bugs Forum. :)

That's great news. Can't wait for the patch. I have high hopes, as usual :)

Guest El Payaso

- Not too many in my opinion. I would say that too many non-clear cut chances are turned into goals!

Not too many? Tested this for a while with Chelsea and for example against Leicester I got 8 CCCs and 34 shots with ease and they were just concentrating on defending. Real life Chelsea would have scored maybe 8-10 goals from the chances I got (lot of free shots at the edge of the area after slow build-ups which the game doesn't often even count as HCs)and even with the current finishing I got four goals comfortably. Against smaller teams it often is just done with ease even when they concentrate just on defending their own goal. IRL those comfortable wins that big teams sometimes get aren't that easy, the opposition usually fight back and it actually is hard to create chances against every Premier league team. Even in those Cup ties against lower league clubs the teams aren't pushovers even though they usually end up losing the games quite heavily.

how about first touch ?

How do you sign a player in this game, tried to approach Jonathan Silva at Sporting CP as BARCELONA for a signing. His market value is 500K. They would not satisfy with anything below 50M...

They don't want to sell. Try to unsettle him first by declaring interest in him.

They don't want to sell. Try to unsettle him first by declaring interest in him.

Feels like no club wants to sell a player, and why would they need to? Noone ever has financial problems, only the small clubs maybe. Transfers need to be looked at in my opinion.

Feels like no club wants to sell a player, and why would they need to? Noone ever has financial problems, only the small clubs maybe. Transfers need to be looked at in my opinion.

Have you tried to unsettle him???

Archived