FM15: Grasshoppers - Always hungry!

michalgottwald

Had the choice of Porto, Athletico Madrid or Barcelona - Seemed like a no brainer.

Well done, I had not considered asking to become a feeder for a Euro Giant. I wonder if you can request this in FMC. I agree, Barca would have been my 1st choice...although Porto is quite attractive. You would have been able to loan some Brazilians that come over I imagine due to Portugal's agreement with Brazil.

Also, welcome to go Grasshoppers party! Michael and Jogo have gd saves going, and I am starting out on FMC. Feel free to discuss tactics or transfers...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so 10 games in and the table looks really healthy:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/isshyn/LeagueTable10Games.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/isshyn/Results.jpg

I had an amazing away performance in Belguim, with Caio running the show as the Enganche. This is a player role I would normally disregard, but Caio and Shala have excelled in it. I needed a role to utilise Caio because he has low work rate, stamina and natural fitness. It fair to say that the Enganche is currently working:

Caio: 7 apps, 2 goals and 4 assists

Shala: 10 apps, 3 goals and 1 assist

The big hero has been Nassim Ben Khalifa, who is playing as a DLF Support. He has returned 10 goals in 14 apps and is also a capable provider with 4 assists.

I have a challenging Europa Legaue group:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/isshyn/EuropaLeague.jpg

Let's hope I can perform at home and clinch 2nd as I suspect Tottenham will run away with 1st!

I will provide another update 20 league games in to the season. Good luck guys!

Michal, another superb and detailed update, a good read. I see your dilemma in attack, and it's tricky. For what it's worth, I'd be using Kramaric and Malele with the others as back-up. Well done on signing Benito (good to have another Swiss representative) and congrats on another excellent season so far.

Loup, that's a cracking start you made there - much better than mine. Interesting to see how you got Caio to perform, his fitness earns him a place on my bench unfortunately, which is a bit of a waste. I see you're doing well with Ben Khalifa too, he's not scored for me as SS (has created a few) so that's quite a difference. Good luck with the rest of your domestic season and in Europe.

christy06, welcome along. It's definitely a challenge but I'm hopeful it can be rewarding as you really have to be developing and trading as you go along.

I jumped in to this despite having an on-going spell with Bristol City, and I normally have one save at a time so trying to find the right balance to devote myself fully to it. I may need to play out my season with them before cracking on here, because I'm definitely going to progress this one as soon as I can - and before you all disappear ;)

Michal, another superb and detailed update, a good read. I see your dilemma in attack, and it's tricky. For what it's worth, I'd be using Kramaric and Malele with the others as back-up. Well done on signing Benito (good to have another Swiss representative) and congrats on another excellent season so far.

Loup, that's a cracking start you made there - much better than mine. Interesting to see how you got Caio to perform, his fitness earns him a place on my bench unfortunately, which is a bit of a waste. I see you're doing well with Ben Khalifa too, he's not scored for me as SS (has created a few) so that's quite a difference. Good luck with the rest of your domestic season and in Europe.

christy06, welcome along. It's definitely a challenge but I'm hopeful it can be rewarding as you really have to be developing and trading as you go along.

I jumped in to this despite having an on-going spell with Bristol City, and I normally have one save at a time so trying to find the right balance to devote myself fully to it. I may need to play out my season with them before cracking on here, because I'm definitely going to progress this one as soon as I can - and before you all disappear ;)

Re:Caio. Firstly, I have been switching Caio and Shala frequently. Caio cannot play 2 games in a week, in fact I avoid playing him below 85-88% condition. He just cannot catch up otherwise.

Secondly, the Enganche role means he does limited running. I have looked into this role a bit before trying it out. It encourages the player to sit in the AMC role linking the players in front. In my formation, Caio has two strikers in front of him and three centremids behind him. So he has runners all around, notably a B2M midfielder (usually with good stamina and work rate). The link play through him has been so good that I am not going to disregard this kind of lazy player for future transfers (I normally would).

Re: Ben Kahlifa. I've not done anything fancy with him to be honest. In fact I am not quite sure why he finishes so many team moves off. Innocent is tactically more advanced than him.

It makes total sense about Caio, in that role. I will keep that in mind if I am not doing well enough. For me, using Ben Khalifa as SS(a) and Dabbur as DLF(s) was the best way to get the pair of them and Emeghara on the pitch. It's working OK, with Dabbur scoring and Ben Khalifa assisting, I just thought he would score more (at least one) in that SS role. I have a handful of creative AM players in mind, but all are going to cost over £500k, so it's not a plan for season 1.

Wow Loup, that's a very strong start. Looks like you're unusually consistent for a first half season. Also nice that you're getting the best out of Ben Khalifa - he really is good. Scored 20 goals in the league I think it was the season before I swapped him for Malele, and at Basel he's keeping Sergio Araujo out of the first team and was top scorer in the league in his first year with 23 goals. Starting to regret a bit that I sold him, but then again Malele is coming along nicely now.

Wrapping up my summer transfers at the moment, will do an update when everything is ready for a new season.

Transfers 1st Season - Sorry i'm a bit late to the party.

ZJ7sBDj.png

First 2 games

D92T7Qh.png

HrBA4a2.png

Not a bad start, got beat by Standard 2-1 ist leg of CL - Hoping for a better result away.

Playing an Asymmetrical system, playing well, plenty of chances, plenty of goals.

Raised plenty of cash, will keep some for january, i also have Epsen Ruud joining on a free in Jan so big plus there, he was brill last year.

Europa League qualification is finely balanced. Thought we nicked it at the end then conceded at a corner.

LnhJHmf.png

Tough Draw. Having real issues with fitness. Had to get a couple more loan signings in just to beef up numbers.

Good news the board have agreed to improve youth facilities, im worried i may have asked this too early as it's going to cost 2.7 million. Hoping if i qualify for Europe i will get some decent gate receipts.

That's me finished for the summer and ready to start season five.

PFbFRRt.png

That was really special. We didn't just beat the points record, we demolished it by eight points and were, really, untouchable all the way in. Results include three wins(two away) and a draw against Basel, and marked a definite shift in the hierarchy between us and them. Only loss came to Sion(who we seem to lose to at least once every year, that Moussa Konate..), and the draws were often throwing away won games late, including a freak game against Aarau which we were leading 4-0 by half time that ended 4-4. I fielded my leading scorer in the league, Georg Cacchioli, every game I could in the final half, but to no avail - top scorer of the season in the Super League was Nassim Ben Khalifa with 23. Cacchioli ended on 21, and could well have gotten the title had he not gotten injured for two weeks in april. I don't really understand what exactly is behind Cacchiolis superb performances, his stats are good but nowhere near the best at the club. Still, he's like the definition of "banging them in", which is a very kind thing for a young home-grown striker to be.

i4n3KbK.png

Have tried to work hard on his technicals, but they won't budge much, whereas his physical stats can't stop growing. 4(5) star player and lots of potential left.

Dmitry Kontsevoy was my perhaps biggest surprise of the year with a league average rating of 7.61. Also worth mentioning is the amazing Mauri, who in his third season for us, and now as one of the experienced senior stars, was unstoppable. Prioritized using him in Europe, but in the 19 league games he got he scored 8, assisted 9 and had an average rating of 7.68. Not best in the league, cause that was Ben Khalifa. : /

Had no problem beating Galatasaray over two games(5-1 on aggregate), but in the final sixteen of the Euro Cup we drew Tottenham, who were in a different class, really. No chance, and out 4-1 over two games. Switzerland also dropped to 17th in the league rankings this year, so only the Champions will qualify for the Champions Cup for now. Hopefully I can scrape together some performances to rectify this, but temporarily it puts even more pressure on league performances. No room to relax for a season anymore.

ANAjGvd.png

Another confident cup run, and amazingly, our fourth victory in the tournament in four years. Don't know if I can remember ever doing that. Form was such that we beat Basel in the final with relative ease compared to our league games against them, three of which had been pretty close affairs.

All in all, that season was amazing. Replicating it would be a huge challenge for any team, everything just came together and worked in our favour. Hopefully we can bring some confidence with us into the next season, it could well be needed as this summer have propably weakened the side short-term:

xiCtSaD.png

This is pretty serious. Three key players for us, Patric having been part of the team since the first season and Mauri and Mongongou integral first teamers since the start of the second, are gone. I mentioned my luxury issues at right back earlier, and they kinda solved themselves when Patric, who had been talking about joining other clubs for a while(and had Milan and Manchester United interested) didn't want to discuss a new contract with only a year left on his old one. Had no choice, which was kind of a relief as I would have considered selling him anyway. Kontsevoy is a fantastic first XI replacement, but the difference is sure to show in tough european games - Patric was one of our very few international top class players, and I'm sad to see him go. This does however give me the opportunity to give Albertsson plenty of playing time, and I have a feeling that he could be even better in time.

Mauri had to go because of a bosman signing that I will cover later as I'm going to work in a few minutes, but even with a replacement on board and a nice sum in it's a tough break. I feel I've lost some of the teams identity this summer, and that will need to be rebuilt. Mauri was part of the Grasshopper soul, and he will be sorely missed. Fare well, Mauri, and good luck at a bigger club.

Mongongou was signed on a bosman and grew into being the heart of my defence for three seasons. His contract was expiring, a new one would have been expensive, but it was still a tough decision that made me change my mind several times. As so many times before what made it up was the possibility of bringing in a good replacement, but still I feel the stability he offered will be tough to replace. Patric and Mauri were difficult decisions, but this is the only one where I feel there's a good possibility I might have made a bad one.

Meh, it's sad when you lose your core like this, even with good replacements and even if you made rational decisions. The team isn't going to be the same, but hopefully it can be made into something even better in time.

Didn't have time for the incomings, that'll have to be this afternoon.

Christy, tough luck against Standard Liege - what a game though! Brave move on allocating £2.7m to improve youth facilities at that early stage, but the end results will hopefully be worth it.

Michal, fantastic season and great update again. Are you sure I am managing the same club?!? It's good to see that one day it is possible to get to that level though. I understand what you mean about saying goodbye to your 'core' and losing some identity, it's always a difficult decision. I'm sure that you will do fine with your replacements, though you have no choice but to win the league again for Champions League football.

Michal - have you had any good academy players come through yet? Or are the Swiss youngsters poached? I really like the look of Cacchioli, for 18 years old the finishing and physicals are ridiculous! Please keep me updated to his progress. I may need some advice on how to get some Swiss youth in, any players you recommend that you missed out on in 1st season?

Christy - good luck in the 2nd leg. Fitness is more realistic this year, players have to be rotated. The key indication is the natural fitness attribute, if this is low then expect the player to be jaded if you play again in 3 days time. I have found balancing Europe and league challenging but a rewarding one. Let's hope you can get in to the Group Stage...

Back in July I unsettled Stephane Besle from St Gallen. I bid around 250k which was rejected, because he really looks a beast. Luckily on the domestic deadline day a quick deal could be made for £49.5k! St Gallen wanted to cut their loses and he was leaving next summer. Here he is:

Besle.jpg

Really happy with him, because he can partner Dinsdag (who has signed a new contract) as my 1st choice pairing next season. I will look to bring in a youthful defender in the summer.

Thanks guys, Fitness is an issue, Drage is tired & i have rotated the Squad around, few injuries have not helped.

I would really like to see some youth come through in the future, i love developing my own players & since the squad will be small & rotation required then they will get 1st team football early.

Dag Alexander Olsen has been a beast for me, 7/8 goals already this season, John Hou Saeter is impressive & nearly 1st team already at only 16. Played plenty of games already.

Looking to get a new goalie in, Davari is frustrating, Ali Igbal played a straight forward back pass to him against Zurich, Davari let the ball roll under his foot into the net, luckily i managed to get a draw but this came after the Standard game so he needs to go. Tried posting the footage on Youtube but doesn't seem to work, shows the pitch but no ball or players, random.

Jogo Bonito: Yeah, all that season lacked was advancement in the Champions Cup. As I've said earlier I was pretty annoyed that we didn't manage to get through, as everything was so encouraging performance wise. Next year I guess, although early friendlies suggest it'll take some time to reach the level from last season. That can all change in an instant, and I hope it will, but there are never any guarantees when you make this many changes - a bad run at the start and it'll be a season of struggle with a possibly too young and inexperienced squad.

Grasshoppers 2014 and Grasshoppers 2018 would feel like two different clubs yeah, if they didn't it would mean I'd done a horrible job. Judging by what you've written I'm sure you'll get there sooner rather than later, you seem to have a logical reasoning behind what you do and that always wins out in the end. Season 1 will be minimal wiggle room usually, but one CL group stage or one or two good investments in promising players and all that is in the past. The swiss league player values combined with the Grasshoppers facilities/youth setup makes an excellent platform for, as someone said(was it christy?), an Ajax type of strategy where you make good money from investing in and developing talent.

Loup: Cacchioli is home grown. Will make a summary of what I'm left with from the academy after four years, and try to put together a list of young promising swiss players, although I often tend to forget.

Don't forget to sign Michael Frey from LOSC if you get the chance though, that could actually be my biggest regret so far in this save. Was tracking him, but somehow forgot to offer him a contract in time and signed for Club Brugge on a free. Would have had very affordable wages, is swiss, hugely talented and would have been a perfect fit for my DLF role. Determined to get him in the end, but will propably have to wait another season.

christy, wow, that's a risky investment so early on, you'll need all your wiggle room to make more wiggle room. You seem to be doing a little bit sharper than the rest of us transfer wise though, so confident you'll find a way to make it work.

Academy products involved in first team rotation:

OM8Nsk8.png

4(5) star potential. Has been given as much game time as possible due to his obvious talent, but is another one constantly improving on physical stats while the technical ones, which need work, are standing still. 34 appearances(including as a sub) for the first team as of yet, and will hopefully be a big player for the club.

JqPyt67.png

The end of Nicklas Røjkjærs carreer at the club.24 apps for the club so far, another huge talent. Has been having problems with injuries, would propably have been even better without those. 3 1/2(4 1/2) stars.

cUxssni.png

Really want to give this one a run in the first team, but he's in competition with some amazing foreign youngsters for the spots that aren't occupied by João Schmidt and Lundemo. Thinking I might sell Lundemo to facilitate more game time, but it would be a pretty huge quality drop short time so it's a difficult decision, and now(having sold Patric, Mongongou and Mauri) is not the time. Was given a short run at the end of last season, went back to check it now, and WOW. I haven't checked these stats before. He averaged 7.74(!!!) in seven games for me last year, plus 7.47 in six games on loan at Luzern. I will have to reevaluate here, was going to say that he had a small run and performed admirably, but wow, really wow. How can I have missed this?

In addition these two could propably have been solid already if I had paid them more attention:

YptkAnm.png

Retraining this one to a DC, shame about his bravery stat or he would have been solid backup. Still keeping him in mind, but my assistant doesn't really rate him.

MI2phK6.png

Once rated as on par with Cacchioli, one was given a chance the other not. Continue to develop him a bit longer to see how good he can become though.

And then Cacchioli. An incredible 27 goals in 40 league games for the club, still at the age of 18. 4(5) potential, actually giving Kramaric a fight for the first XI poacher role.

Jogo Bonito: Yeah, all that season lacked was advancement in the Champions Cup. As I've said earlier I was pretty annoyed that we didn't manage to get through, as everything was so encouraging performance wise. Next year I guess, although early friendlies suggest it'll take some time to reach the level from last season. That can all change in an instant, and I hope it will, but there are never any guarantees when you make this many changes - a bad run at the start and it'll be a season of struggle with a possibly too young and inexperienced squad.

Grasshoppers 2014 and Grasshoppers 2018 would feel like two different clubs yeah, if they didn't it would mean I'd done a horrible job. Judging by what you've written I'm sure you'll get there sooner rather than later, you seem to have a logical reasoning behind what you do and that always wins out in the end. Season 1 will be minimal wiggle room usually, but one CL group stage or one or two good investments in promising players and all that is in the past. The swiss league player values combined with the Grasshoppers facilities/youth setup makes an excellent platform for, as someone said(was it christy?), an Ajax type of strategy where you make good money from investing in and developing talent.

Loup: Cacchioli is home grown. Will make a summary of what I'm left with from the academy after four years, and try to put together a list of young promising swiss players, although I often tend to forget.

Don't forget to sign Michael Frey from LOSC if you get the chance though, that could actually be my biggest regret so far in this save. Was tracking him, but somehow forgot to offer him a contract in time and signed for Club Brugge on a free. Would have had very affordable wages, is swiss, hugely talented and would have been a perfect fit for my DLF role. Determined to get him in the end, but will propably have to wait another season.

christy, wow, that's a risky investment so early on, you'll need all your wiggle room to make more wiggle room. You seem to be doing a little bit sharper than the rest of us transfer wise though, so confident you'll find a way to make it work.

Cheers Michal, and I hope your faith in me will be proven correct in time. Regarding Frey, I'm nothing if not ambitious and had already attempted to bring him on loan in the first window. Obviously that wasn't possible, but he remains on my shortlist as one of the few attainable Swiss talents that might be willing to join in the future.

Michal - Baran and Cacchiloi could be a partnership lasting a decade. I'd be very happy with those youngsters, I cannot wait to see what I get. With regards to your formation has youth changed what formation you adopt? For instance, I think we've all started off with a narrow 4-3-1-2. If a good AML/AMR comes through, would you change or look to re-train?

I'd be keen to keep the 4-3-1-2 because it's working so well for me at the moment.

I know the Ajax model tries to bring youth through playing the same formation, at all levels. This may be something I will try to do

PO7F5uG.png

The big news here are obviously the capture of Humam Tariq on a free transfer. Never managed to establish himself at Juventus, but has still developed into quite some player. I'd say this is our first superstar(unless you count João Schmidt, who is definitly a star but not as well known), and he's still only 22 and has potential to become even better than he is. Really expecting fireworks here, his vision 19/decisions 17/passing 16/composure 16 behind to quick strikers with good movement should hopefully be fun to watch. He is however Mauris replacement, so that's some responsibility to carry.

Emanuel Insua will rotate left back with Benito and definitly looks a better option than Diallo. More of a natural left back, good at going forward, but with much of the same physical presence as Diallo had. Thinking he's propably my best left back at the time being.

Was looking for a replacement for Mongongou, found Kara. Old time favourite, know him well from his real life spell at Tromsø and has used him in several versions of FM before. In other words I know what I'm getting, and that is pure strength, determination and steel. Actually very similar to Mongongou in many ways, and on the same wages as Mongongou previously had.

Lucas Boyé joins from River as I didn't really have a player that fitted the DLF role the way I wanted. Replaces Rafhael Lucas in the rotation, and although he initially looks to be a lesser player he both has some extra potential to grow into and a very good stat distribution for the supporting striker role. Actually very similar to Nassim Ben Khalifa, who as we all(at least Loup!) know is a great DLF, but with better mental stats. Excited to see how he'll do. If he fails, I have several talented youngsters that are hungering for his place.

I also made another swiss addition to the squad:

dRt3d3k.png

Kunz is a former Grasshopper product, and was brough back from Stuttgart without having much success there. Decent potential, if he can improve a little bit he'll be great to have in the squad with that nationality and home-grown status. Can play all the way from midfield up, which is nice. Currently being tutored by Kramaric.

The rest of my signings are young regens, investments if you like, and I only expect one of them to make his mark in the team this season. He is, however, a huge signing:

LN9xFgU.png

Hello everyone, meet Yanko. Think he'll be good? I do.

And that is, as we say, it. I don't think we've improved much CA wise since last season, but there is now an abundance of potential available, and I think it's time to do some calmer windows and cultivate some players that are meant to be kept in addition to potential sales objects.

I'm very happy with the way this tactic has hit home, so not really keen to change it at the time being. Loving how it plays out visually, and although it doesn't have wingers it actually gives room to a lot of different player types. The CM(S) roles call for different types of players for different games, and there is quite some room for tactical flexibility just from changing the players in the starting lineup, without making any changes to the core tactics.

At some point(in the near future I think) I'll also take control of the U21s to ensure that the players I want are the ones that are played, and yes I do use the same tactics all the way down to the U18s. A good thing about players with good winger stats is they often fit well into a poacher role, so retrain it will be.

I'm already in love with Baran, Cacchioli, and Matthey, and after reviewing his performances I've kinda decided that I'll have to make a change to fit in Zwimpfer as well. Thinking I might sell Renberg as he has a minimum release clause of £11.5m, won't sign a new contract and is wanted by Barcelona, Porto and Atletico. Thinking that he will most likely be sold anyway, so why not do it now and not waste valuable playing time on an investment that's reached it maximum financial potential. Never liked his low bravery attribute anyway! Renberg is propably the most talented guy here though, so it will hurt. On the other hand, Katsarev isn't exactly a bad replacement for the half back role. Think that's what I'll do.

Yea, i think i may have pushed this a little early, im hoping that because wages are low and i brought in more than enough in sales that it should cover it, a good run in Europe would help!

Edit

I just noticed that Merkel does have a Terminate Loan option - Just checked there now to see if i could unsettle him and force him to ask but the option is there, it wasn't earlier but it is now, thats 7k saved :)

OwLrM2o.png

Must be a certain Window to do it in its the 23rd of August 2014 in my game

A good run in Europe will propably cover it all. Did you do the other Mainz game yet? Also forgot to comment on you gettin John Hou Sæter - that's some signing, he's potentially world class. At Real Madrid in my save, rocking the world on various loans. Have been trying to get him myself.

Also - had the chance to sign Adama Traore for £2.3m, but turned it down as I don't use wingers and I have so many forwards I want to play. He looks spectacular though, so think I've might become too emotional with regards to what I have and that the rational decision would have been to sell someone(I.e. Larsson) gotten him.

Mainz is my next game, just beat Basel 3-1 away from home, Need to beat Mainz, tough draw but I'm confident.

John Hou Sæter is going to be the star of the team if i can keep hold of him - No clauses in his contract so all good that way. He is getting a good run seeing as Abrashi has torn knee ligs & out for 3 months

Traore has been a star, loves a good run, 5 assists & 2 goals in 10 games so far - Playing his as a Raumdemeter at the moment, was playing as inside forward but he is suitable to both.

Well no Europe for me, Currently getting beat 4-1 by Mainz. Played awful. :(

Ouch. At least you can concentrate on the league and cup. Don't let this disappointment take away the fact that you beat Basel away from home. I've only managed to take a point off them so far from 2 games! Go grab CL football...

Having real issues with injuries, have had to change my tactics as i needed new players and the players i brought in dont fit the current set up, so i hvae went with a narrow diamond although im considering flat 3 in midfield.

KlMHuAc.png

Edit - the next match saw another 4 players get injured, 4 in 1 match. Thats 9 players out, the most in the league & 6/7 regular starters.

Run of bad luck for you it seems, but hopefully both the inconsistency and the injury problems are early first season problems. My experience is that players get more easily injured during and after the pre season training and directly after the winter break anyway. Maybe it's just me, but it seems logical.

Yea Bad luck seems to be the way of things at the moment. Abrashi has just returned from 2/3 months out only to be injured with he same injury on his 1st training session :(.

On a good note however i have only lost 1 game in the league & that was to Young Boys - We played rubbish so deserved it, was annoying as i went 12/13 games unbeaten until that point which included a nice victory over Basel 1-3 away from home.

Now if only my beloved reds can follow in my footsteps and beat the Basel 3-1 tonight!! Highly doubtful of course :(

On another good note, i actually made money this month, lost 500k last month and im currently up around 300k so far this month, a lot of home games against big teams plus TV revenue. I have played a couple of my youngsters in the cup, Jorge Fernandez looks like he could be a star - looks like a regen but will post up some pics today of how my season has went, im currently working on a blog that will incorporate this save as a story/guide so will post a link to it when it's ready.

Real life sometimes takes over

Haha, yeah it can be a challenge to not let real life issues get in the way of what's really important! I hear ya there. Looking forward to reading the blog.

If it's any comfort Abrashi was always kind of a disappointment for me, had never been with me as long as he did had it not been for his nationality and the lack of attainable swiss players in the first seasons.

My fifth season looks to become a nervous affair - Basel just won't lie down and die already and have 8-0-0 in the league this far, including a 3-0 win at home against us. Of course their super season had to come in the same season Switzerland lost their second CL place. Was going to go hard for qualification from the Champions Cup groups, but the big question is if I can really afford to with this domestic situation.

Need to weigh up the options, if you get far into the Champions League the extra money will help you topple the mighty Basel next season, whereas if you concentrate on the league you might nick the top spot but might not.

I say you see where you are after 3 champs league games and see if you think you can progress from there.

You guys are zooming through the seasons! I'm afraid I am way behind - approaching my final group game in the Europa League...where I hope to update you on some good news.

Christy - Perhaps review your training regime. Are you allowing rests before and after games? I'm not surprised about Abrashi being injured, he seems lightweight on my game. He also refuses to sign a contract so I may consider selling him in January for circa 500k. Thoughts Gents? I'm not a big fan of getting players in Jan so may just let him go for free if that's what he wants. No player is bigger than the club.

Michal - On my walk home this evening I was thinking about the Champions League from 2015/16 season (as you do). Is the new seeding system included in the game from 2015? I was under the impression Champions of nations who qualify become top seeds. Is this what you have encountered?

The good news is that I have negotiated installing FM on the new Mrs laptop that comes tomorrow. So I will be able to get on FM more for the cheeky game between baby feeds...get in!

Grasshoppers!

A quick update on my game so far - Plenty of Pics

1st League Table

7RknrwM.png

2nd Team & Stats

6OQJNCr.png

3rd Drage

Jd7eDoa.png

4th Olsen

YNPcScL.png

5th Saeter

RJdL8BG.png

6th Fernandez - Regen that was in my under 18s - looks to be a decent prospect

djYPZoU.png

Sitting well in the League, players mainly playing well, some nice players to have in my team.

christy: Fernandez looks like he could be useful! Good to see the norwegians + Sané doing well for you, a few of them should be able to prove useful beyond the first couple of seasons too. Has Sané developed any? Never tried Olsen myself, but might have to give him a shot seeing how well he does in your save. What role is he playing? You seem to have the league under control, you're lucky with Basel having an off season! You generally look to be doing very well - how about a screen of the tactics you're using?

Loup: Abrashi is on an outgoing contract? If not £500k seems a low return for such a high reputation player - even though he doesn't really seem to perform too well.

Regarding CL seeding - I've been fourth seed in the group stage every time, even my two times entering the competition as swiss champions. I was however seeded in the playoffs this last year, if that's what you mean?

christy: Fernandez looks like he could be useful! Good to see the norwegians + Sané doing well for you, a few of them should be able to prove useful beyond the first couple of seasons too. Has Sané developed any? Never tried Olsen myself, but might have to give him a shot seeing how well he does in your save. What role is he playing? You seem to have the league under control, you're lucky with Basel having an off season! You generally look to be doing very well - how about a screen of the tactics you're using?

Loup: Abrashi is on an outgoing contract? If not £500k seems a low return for such a high reputation player - even though he doesn't really seem to perform too well.

Regarding CL seeding - I've been fourth seed in the group stage every time, even my two times entering the competition as swiss champions. I was however seeded in the playoffs this last year, if that's what you mean?

I was under the impression Groups will be seeded differently next year. E.g. Ajax will be classed as top seeds if they win Dutch league

Michal - Yeah he looks like he could turn out to be very decent, his mental attributes are not to bad, Positioning is none existent though so this could be an issue, but if he plays well he could be sold for pure profit. My current tactics are what you posted earlier, I had to change from my asymmetrical system with all the injuries, I'm thinking of changing back since 90% of the team is back & I have just lost to Basel at home which I'm not happy with. Bad day for Me with Basel altogether. My lead is now just 5 points. I will post up my tactics when I get home from work along with a screenshot for Sane - his attributes are very good, decent performances from him. Even Davari is improving, he is even at the dizzying heights of 12 for handling

Loup - I don't think I have passed Halloween yet, like you I'm finding it tough to get any real playing time - Hoping tonight after my own footy to get some hours in - want to at least get to January & see where i am from there. Training has been an issue, some playerscoming saying they are being worked to hard, I have each player training in a specific role that I want their stats to improve in, plus set to fitness in the team training but this is set at average intensity at max plus they have a rest after the match & not before as I want them training in my tactics or certain situations before the game.

Jogo - I suggest you buy Olsen, cost me 20k at the start, on cheap enough wages, has scored 13/14 goals already this season. His Pace & Acceleration are amazing. Pity about his fitness and a few poorer stats but more than capable in this league

Thanks Christy, I have seen others using him to great effect too. He definitely has the right attributes to succeed in game (although one of those players that I think is vastly over-rated compared to reality). I'd struggle to use him though as Dabbur, Ben Khalifa and Emeghara are my main men and good players that I hope not to lose - especially the last two being Swiss. I've got two further loan players as 4th/5th choice strikers for the season too, so more strength and depth at CM/DM is much more of an issue when I get to the next window.

Ok, I am pleased to reveal my work up until the Christmas break...

Fixtures 1

Fixtures1.jpg

Fixtures 2

Fixtures2.jpg

My start of season best performance came when it mattered, against Standard away. It meant guaranteed European football for the Grasshoppers! I drew Arsenal in the CL Playoff, which was pretty much a formality. I even rested one or two players for the 2nd leg because I had no chance at getting through. Sadly this didn't make much difference, as I lost to Basel 4 days later in the league.

League performance has been very consistent. Slight hiccup against Sion but I am delighted to be 4 points clear at the break. I still expect Basel to push me and I have a fear that they will beat me in the head-to-heads, so I have to hang in there and be consistent over the next 5 months.

League table

LeaguetableChristmasbreak.jpg

My real achievement has been in the Europa League, where I faced two very difficult opponents - Tottenham and BMG. I pushed Spurs in both legs but ultimately they have the quality upfront but I managed two hard fought draws against BMG that saw me through in 2nd place! The last game away at BMG was a nail biting affair. The game was evenly contested and I found myself 2 nil down. Caio replied for us with a trademark screamer (I love this guy) and then hero Innocent Emeghara poached a goal in the dying stages to see us through. It was squeaky bum time and I did everything possible to hang on...touchline shouts, throw on defenders, time waste etc.

I suspect I will be beaten in the first KO game, but the monetary benefits will be immense for me at this moment in time. Really happy.

Europa League

EuropaLeague-1.jpg

My 1st X1 (when fit)

Lineup.jpg

Above is my 1st X1 when fit. Sadly Ben Khalifa's form stopped after he picked up a knee ligament injury that means he won't be back until February. Innocent and Moanes have carried the team and I should really look to see if I could get a 4th striker in Jan. Abrashi wants to leave but I really need to hang on to him if I want to give everything for the league. There's a big chance he will go for £0 :-(

Now I sit hear wondering what to do in the Christmas break. I have 56 days until my next game! Michal - what do I do? Is it customary for Swiss teams to have friendlies in January? It would be interesting to know what you do.

Hope you enjoyed the update. I plan to take my time during the 56 days of in-game time. Plenty of scouting needs to be done...

A great read Loup, and pleased to see it's still going well for you. I'm expecting the same problem with Abrashi - too good to sell, but too valuable to allow an expired contract at the end of the season.

I'd suggest some winter sunshine in your 56 day break - perhaps some friendlies in Africa and Brazil :lol:

Looking good. I have lost a couple of games now and only site 2 points clear in January, massively disappointed. I have managed to shift on Abrashi for 1.5m - 2 serious injuries in 6 months and high wages have forced my hand, plus i need the money, we on course to have a balance of -2m come the end of the season. I have also just loaned out Ravet to get his wages off and trying hard to sell pavlovic, Lopes, Dinsdag & Salatic, having real issues as noone bidding even 250k for salatic.

I have just signed Epsen Ruud & Uronen so thats the FB positions sorted plus Pacheco just signed a Pre Contract.

Christy, I sold Salatic for £1.5m - but that means I would be very weak in midfield if I sell Abrashi too. It's the real problem spot of the team in my opinion. Maybe it's a case that only one or the other can be easy to offload.

Pacheco should be a great GK - I signed him for Bristol City ahead of season 2 (first in Championship) and his value rose to over £5m within a few months, despite being only mid-table. Good luck trying to brush off the challenge of Basel.

christy - that looks like the usual Sané. With the GCZ facilities at hand he's sure to get a bit better in time.

You're both doing so well results wise! I was absolutely powerless to resist Basel in the first season, you both seem like you have a good chance to secure the championship. I really like the look of your first XI Loup, especially the full backs look a fair bit stronger than what I had in the first season(Bauer/Pavlovic, Patric didn't play too well on loan and was really just backup - shocking in hindsight). What surprises me most is perhaps you choosing to go for Dingsdag for another season - other than him(and possibly Abrashi) those all look solid players. Congratulations on making the final 32! That's a solid achievment.

Ruud is real quality for this level christy. Tried to sign him myself but couldn't scrape together the cash and went for Patric on loan instead. Have experience with him from FM14 and he doesn't really look to have changed much. Never tried Uronen, but have seen people speak highly of him.

Regarding winter break, there will be a training camp arranged, where I recommend you use the chance to play some friendlies against teams from the country you are sent to. I usually try to arrange as many friendlies as possible both in pre-season and in the winter break, as I usually always feel I need to work on team cohesion, so I do a one match every four days routine.

Closing up on mid season in my save too, will do an evaluation pretty soon. Wanted to share the most encouraging news first though.

This season marks Mehmet Barans emergence as a super talent - not only did he get his real breathrough at our club, he even got his debut for the swiss national team! Still only 18 and a couple of months. Here's a screen after recent developments:

pd2eahG.png

As you said Loup - him and Cacchioli - I am truly blessed.

I like Baran with his 17 passing stat. I guess he will be the main source for Caccahioli's goals in years to come. Are you playing them as 1st choice strikers now? Amazing to think that they'll both be tearing up the National Team soon...together!

Dingsdag can go another season. It's cheaper to do that than find an extra CB. I may as well look to bring in a youthful CB that can take over in 16/17. Plus as you know, I love stability and not too many transfers.

Transfers: I think I'll be looking to invest 2-3 central midfielders. 1 box to box (plus a youthful understudy if I find one) to replace Abrashi and then another CM to replace Merkel. Landu-Landu does a good job covering for Annan. If I can't find what I'm after I will look to promote youth. I may also need that 4th striker, just in case of injuries. Very hard to sign a 4th choice striker tho, so again might just use youth.

Davari in GK hasn't done too bad so far. He has the odd moment where he gives me a heart attack, but I certainly will not look to replace. Plus I like the Iranian link between him and Kaebi.

Archived