Single Wide Player

I am having a very tough time with the new ME update. I developed a strikerless tactic playing with no wings (just fullbacks) that was pretty successful pre ME update. I have now started a new save with the same tactic and came up against Real Madrid in the champions league (playing as Roma). I found that we were completely destroyed 9-1. We seemed to lose it out wide with their wingbacks overloading with their AMRL's and punishing us time after time. In all my years of FM I have never been beaten by this much.

The point of all of this is was this down to a poor performance. I know that I was playing attacking initially but I then switched to a counter tactic with players dropping deeper which helped nothing. Then tried counter with high d-line and high pressing - no effect. We were completely outclassed and, in truth, were lucky to get away with 9.

Here is my attacking line up:

e7npj8.jpg

Team Instructions:

3493u5y.jpg

I would appreciate any help or suggestions

btw I am trying to play a high temp attacking style remniscent of SAF's Man Utd

Real Madrid has two of the best, if not THE two best, wingers in the world in Ronaldo and Bale. You can't deal with them with two attacking wingbacks and nothing else out wide. It's suicidal.

Your tactic is not necessarily broken. It's just a horrible tactic for playing a team with two world class wingers. In Serie A, where Roma is a top team and where most teams play narrow, you won't have that problem very often. But you'll want to come up with a backup tactic for dealing with teams that pose a serious threat down the flanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I just need to see how it plays out going forward and make adjustments as required. I will definitely need to develop a backup tactic because this was terrible.

Archived