My Development thread for FM15 - Let's get to work.....

Hi Rosler, how are you setting up your corners and free-kicks? Not having much luck from these

Free kicks, every one i score is offside.

Corners-send to far post. Put Centre Backs on attack far post, stand on far post. Send strikers to front post. Have somone challenge keeper, someone lurking and someone attacking ball from deep. keep a couple back. been doing well from corners.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To properly test tactics you need to start removing some of the variables...

1 season in a full simulation experience is not enough sample to conclude much IMO... What are your conclusions being drawn against? :D

No idea what your talking about. You can get a pretty good idea over a season whether a tactic plays out the way you like or not.

How many seasons do you suggest?

No idea what your talking about. You can get a pretty good idea over a season whether a tactic plays out the way you like or not.

How many seasons do you suggest?

I'm simply alluding to all of the various things that can help or hinder a campaign, injuries, moral, opponent strength, crucial referee decisions etc...

I agree with you regards seeing if a tactic 'plays out' how you'd like, can probably conclude that in a few matches once the familiarity is maxed out...

But I bet if you played that city season again using that same tactic results would be different... even a sample size of two allows you a better insight as to whether either save was highly lucky or unlucky... see where I am coming from?...

Sorry if post looked like an attack, it's not intended to be so... I too love digesting the ME and creating tactics...

....3 goals and 25 assists from my fullbacks combined.

Whoever is set to attack from deep seems to pick up a few goals from corners, which was Toure in my case.

I'm only 10 games in, but finding my fullbacks or CWB's are key. I have a good left and right sided first choice, and poor back up's and success seems to hinge a fair bit on which of the two are playing?

I'm simply alluding to all of the various things that can help or hinder a campaign, injuries, moral, opponent strength, crucial referee decisions etc...

I agree with you regards seeing if a tactic 'plays out' how you'd like, can probably conclude that in a few matches once the familiarity is maxed out...

But I bet if you played that city season again using that same tactic results would be different... even a sample size of two allows you a better insight as to whether either save was highly lucky or unlucky... see where I am coming from?...

Sorry if post looked like an attack, it's not intended to be so... I too love digesting the ME and creating tactics...

Yeah, there is massive variance from season to season, probably a 20 point swing. My last Man City test was right at the top end of the scale with things going my way.

I'm big on getting a tactic which 'feels' right and then building a team around it to get the best out of it.

A bit of intuition involved in this, not just the 'hard numbers'.

In an ideal world you would test over 10 seasons but whose got time for that!

Looks like the attacking tactic is a bit of a push for West Brom.

Consistently creating more chances than most teams and keeping up with the big boys in chances but conceding too many.

Was always looking to create a different version for weaker teams anyway.

AD4A5F1B690E077C4922F86180107D9E7B8C3F75

Very deceptive. I should have won at least 2 extra games (last minute equaliser or dodgy penalty). Good performance so far. Keen to see how it goes when the silly amount of goals issue has been resolved.

AD4A5F1B690E077C4922F86180107D9E7B8C3F75

Very deceptive. I should have won at least 2 extra games (last minute equaliser or dodgy penalty). Good performance so far. Keen to see how it goes when the silly amount of goals issue has been resolved.

Whats your media prediction?

No links for tactics in the Beta. Won't be putting anything out until full release.

To be perfectly honest the beta match engine is a bit of a mess.

Long shots way over powered, very high scoring games, most goals coming from counter attacks which are too easy and over powered.

I think the ME on full release will HAVE to be very different, so i'm backing off the testing until full release.

Will still be playing around and as and when i have anything to report i'll post.

But basically i think we'll all be starting from scratch come full release.

Mr Rosler I know I shouldn't pick games in isolation but during pre-season and my first game away things went well. Then I faced City at home and wanted to see how good your tactic worked against them so decidedto do a test and saved my game before facing City. I lost two nil and was pretty much outplayed. I restarted it again but picked different personnel. I again lost this time 3-1 and City dominated the game once again.I decided to do one more test by changing the personnel again but the idea this time was to see how I fair in the first half before reverting back to a couple of instructions (if I was on the back foot again) which I noticed is not part of the default. Anyway I was behind 1-0 and pretty much on the back foot for the first 20 minutes. I then decided to include the instruction push higher up the pitch and close down. This is a tactic I've tended to use before using your tactic. The difference was telling. I ended up drawing 1-1 but I dominated possession and the number of times City lost the ball through my pressing was evident.

My idea was the midfield press but the back 5 retain shape. Might be that a more general pressing approach is more effective, it's a variable worth testing.

I experimented with push higher up and it can add to your attack. But you can be easily undone by any team at anytime by a simple ball over the top. I always struggle with that.

As ever, there are lots of ways do get it done and many different approaches can work.

My idea was the midfield press but the back 5 retain shape. Might be that a more general pressing approach is more effective, it's a variable worth testing.

I experimented with push higher up and it can add to your attack. But you can be easily undone by any team at anytime by a simple ball over the top. I always struggle with that.

As ever, there are lots of ways do get it done and many different approaches can work.

Cheers for your response mate. I certainly agree about being undone by a ball over the top when pushing higher up the pitch.

I'm definitely going to continue using your tactic but with the addition of pushing higher up and closing down. If I see that I'm getting outdone to often with balls over the top then I'll remove the push higher up the pitch instruction but will still keep the closing down instruction as it's an instruction I've always liked.

Ok, been playing around with West Brom.

Hadn't really got them any better than mid table with any variation of the tactic.

Kept thinking back to the tactic as it was on post 99 which I had used to be extremely dominant with Man City, obviously City had far better players but i thought it should function well enough with West Brom to at least meet there expectations.

First time i tried it I had 9 points after 10 games and was in a relegation battle, although i was being unlucky in a fair few games.

I thought maybe with a couple of tweaks we could get it firing, I wanted more crosses as i'd noticed them being very effective so i added 'exploit the flanks', also noticed we were being carved open thru the middle so I decided to drop the defensive line a little to buy a bit more time for our defenders to position themselves.

The results have been transformed, admittedly we had a bit of luck, in the Man U game they had someone sent off after 3 minutes, we've also had a couple of last minute winners so were maxing on the points we've picked up but even so its looking really good. Perhaps with these tweaks my City result would have been even better.

wTw9GPG.png

ryd6anD.png

Latest game away at Southampton - those stats are very encouraging against a better team away from home.

Bgxc9lK.png

Like i say, i'm expecting the match engine to change for the better on full release so this might all be pointless...... but you never know.......

The one issue I'm having is my players are picking up too many yellow cards. I'm only 15 league games into the season and both Gerrard and Manquillo have picked up 10 yellow cards and are suspended for two league games. I'm considering removing get stuck in but I'm conscious that this instruction has contributed to me doing well.

I wouldn't worry about that.

Gives them a bit of a rest and a chance for others players to come in and get a game.

Main thing is your not picking up red cards, its very rare in my game.

Funny you should say that because Flanagan has only gone and gotten himself sent off lol

You're right though I'm not picking up red cards galore.

Some nice results there Mr U, was that simply tactic #99 plus drop a little deeper and exploit the flanks?

Exactly that.

Not sure if I'm just on a roll or something but still looking really solid. Got gubbed 6-0 by Arsenal but that was as I was somehow complacent. Thought that might be the end of the run but won my next game 4-1.

Ive read all the messages in this thread now and im going to try out you tactic from post 99 but with the tweaks you made later on. But im going to try it out with Ajax as i always start and ajax save so will give me some insight into what their players are like this season i will keep you posted Mr U Rosler

Ive read all the messages in this thread now and im going to try out you tactic from post 99 but with the tweaks you made later on. But im going to try it out with Ajax as i always start and ajax save so will give me some insight into what their players are like this season i will keep you posted Mr U Rosler

Should go well i think :thup:

Couldn't get the tactics to work in the Conference North/South. Shipping way to many goals, a lot of them are from the bug I think.

Used the same Team instructions and switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 and much more stable

Couldn't get the tactics to work in the Conference North/South. Shipping way to many goals, a lot of them are from the bug I think.

Used the same Team instructions and switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 and much more stable

Fair enough. Struggling a bit with West Brom now, lost 4 in a row by 1 goal. I'll be happy with a top 8 finish.

I have a challenge for you Mr U Rosler only if your up for it though. It entails creating the tactics Newcastle have used over their last 4 wins including wins over Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham. I think its kind of a 4-5-1 formation with a CDM and 2 CM as the central midfield. I think the way i translate the way they have been playing is kinda letting the opponent attack when they want and sitting back and absorbing the pressure but then when your team wins the ball to turn it into quick attacking counter attacks.

I have a challenge for you Mr U Rosler only if your up for it though. It entails creating the tactics Newcastle have used over their last 4 wins including wins over Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham. I think its kind of a 4-5-1 formation with a CDM and 2 CM as the central midfield. I think the way i translate the way they have been playing is kinda letting the opponent attack when they want and sitting back and absorbing the pressure but then when your team wins the ball to turn it into quick attacking counter attacks.

Wont be doing much more on the beta.

Really starting to dislike the match engine. Starting to see the same goals over an over again. Ball over the top to lone striker out pacing 3 defenders.

Hopefully its better on full release.

Wont be doing much more on the beta.

Really starting to dislike the match engine. Starting to see the same goals over an over again. Ball over the top to lone striker out pacing 3 defenders.

Hopefully its better on full release.

I meant on the full release sorry i didnt say that its fine if you dont want to i just thought it would be something different im going to try my best to replicate it and maybe ask your opinion if you dont fancy having a go

has anyone found in the beta that no matter what you do or what tactics you use, it just seems too easy for the opposition to score?

I play as liverpool, I have tried many tactics and whilst I'm pretty happy going forward I seem to be carved open by all opposition.

Now I will assume I'm doing something wrong as a lot of people have had success with similar tactics that I'm using.

I'm tearing my hair out here

has anyone found in the beta that no matter what you do or what tactics you use, it just seems too easy for the opposition to score?I play as liverpool, I have tried many tactics and whilst I'm pretty happy going forward I seem to be carved open by all opposition.Now I will assume I'm doing something wrong as a lot of people have had success with similar tactics that I'm using.I'm tearing my hair out here
Yes. It seems like direct balls are a little OP on this patch. I've tried dropping deeper which helps defensively but lessens my attacking prowess. I've decided to counter it by doing the same as the AI. I'm exploiting the flanks by playing direct balls for my AML and AMR to run on to. Still in the lower leagues the scores end up very high. I.e 4-3. It's hard to work out whether the defenders need changing (so that they can close down or intercept or cover a direct ball) or whether the strikers need to be toned down (their anticipation of the through ball and then their ability to get on the right run seems world class even at non league level)

If the version of the match engine in the beta isn't at least 2-3 months out of date (relative to what they currently are working on) there are going to be really big problems at launch; I have to question their approach to development given the way this happens with every new version of the game, going all the way back to CM2/CM3.

If the version of the match engine in the beta isn't at least 2-3 months out of date (relative to what they currently are working on) there are going to be really big problems at launch; I have to question their approach to development given the way this happens with every new version of the game, going all the way back to CM2/CM3.

Agreed, they had 8 months to fine tune the FM14 ME and overlay the new motion capture. Instead it looks like they started the whole thing from scratch. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm wondering if the motion capture is causing the problems, in the example of not covering direct balls, its almost as if the animation of a defender turning and running the line is completely missing. If the striker is close to a defender and a pass is played to the left or right of the defender, the defender is seemingly unable to either side step or slide in to intercept the pass, additionally they don't seem to try and cover off the run of a striker.I'm hoping we are playing on an old ME :)

Anymore updates Mr Rosler, ive been testing a few tactics with my newcastle team - no transfers and struggling big time.

Not sure if its a tactic thing or lack of quality in my squad.

Yeah, I had a version of the 4132 functioning very well on 15.0.2 with West Brom 2nd in Prem after 19 games.

Funnily enough exactly halfway thru the season 15.0.3 kicked in, the tactic started looking dodgy before recovering and going well again. I have 7 games left to finish the season and will post up my results tonight.

Suddenly conceding from corners so they've done something with that which is a pain.

Been experimenting with Roaming Playmaker in the DM slot, these guys do get up the pitch and do a fair bit of damage but you lose something from defence.

Games are still a bit random with too many high scoring games, eventually i think FM 15 will be very good.

If they start releasing weekly ME fixes it will be a nightmare for all of us trying to get a stable tactic.

Yeah, I saw the same thing. Had a 4-4-1-1, 4-4-2 and a 4-2-4 combo I had been testing in a game vs an equal oppenent which was getting an average of 1.53 points while scoring about 1.55 goals and conceeding about 1.44, now after the patch the same tactic combo is getting an average of 1.2 points, scoring about 1.83 but conceeding an average of 2.2 goals a game!

Hopefully we'll get a period of stability in the match engine after the release.

Anymore updates Mr Rosler, ive been testing a few tactics with my newcastle team - no transfers and struggling big time.

Not sure if its a tactic thing or lack of quality in my squad.

I don't want to hijack the thread just wanted into give a quick tip as I've been playing with Newcastle first season as well. 4-2-3-1 (with CMs), counter, structured, more direct passing, disciplined, higher tempo. Currently 6th pushing to 5th. Also the Newcastle thread has several ideas and,tactics to try. Some have done quite well.

Archived