Is it possible to hire very high profile managers as your assistant?

In my experience trying to recruit the best staff, there are a lot of candidates who are allocated as Managers. Unlike other roles, those allocated such cannot be recruited, and you get an auto-refuse.

I am wondering whether anyone has been able to recruit one of these Managers as a staff member.

For example, have you had Jose Mourinho as your Assistant Manager? :D

Playing as Athletic I managed to get David Moyes as a coach. Does that count? He was sacked after one season by Man Utd, had a two year break, before getting QPR relegated on his first attempt. I had him as a coach for a year before he was hired as a manager by Sevilla, where he has been for a while and always seems to finish just slightly out of reach of the CL :)

On FM09 I had a regen I signed in the Championship as a 20 or so year old that stayed with me through to retirement in his mid 30s. He became my assistant manager for a couple of years, until he was offered a big manager's job (Newcastle I think, who were Europa League regulars by that point) and did pretty well there. He lost his job though after a tycoon takeover and poor run immediately after - so of course I fired my assistant manager and had him straight back!

I just wanted to check whether it was a set part of the game for everyone. Is it simply a matter of having a high enough reputation to get people such as Mourinho to join your staff? Or are there individuals who will always refuse?

RE thread title, it is such coz I reckon there are managers in the game and indeed most managers that will never be part of anyone's staff. I am checking if i am wrong.

I think it's only right if there are some managers who wouldn't accept anything other than a managerial post. I can't ever see Mourinho, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Guardiola etc playing second fiddle at any club and it would take a bit of realism away if that happened. Very surprised with the guy who said he had Wenger as an AM as I would've included him in the aforementioned group too.

I think it's only right if there are some managers who wouldn't accept anything other than a managerial post. I can't ever see Mourinho, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Guardiola etc playing second fiddle at any club and it would take a bit of realism away if that happened. Very surprised with the guy who said he had Wenger as an AM as I would've included him in the aforementioned group too.

To be honest it may well have been a bug with that years game. Never managed it since, though now he just retires anyway.

Archived