England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying Wilshere shouldn't go is borderline ******** to be honest. I hate the ***** but if he's back playing (which he is), then he obviously, obviously goes. It was always going to happen. He's just a better player than the other options.

He's yet to play 90 minutes, or play anywhere near his best with 3 games to go at best. Pretty obvious issue with that.

Saying Wilshere shouldn't go is borderline ******** to be honest. I hate the ***** but if he's back playing (which he is), then he obviously, obviously goes. It was always going to happen. He's just a better player than the other options.

Yea it's bonkers. He's been fit since April and has another 3 games to improve his match fitness before the tournament.

Agree with that. I don't think Rashford goes, and either Bertrand or Clyne will probably be cut since you don't really need 4 full backs.
Why has he selected so many FBs? Dier and Stones can both play RB if needed. Surely one of the RBs will be cut.

I doubt any of the 7 defenders will be cut, it'll likely be 2 of the 11 midfielders (injury doubts still over Henderson/Wilshere) and Rashford that don't make it.

Hodgson plays a system which requires attacking fullbacks; neither Dier or Stones are suited to play as attacking right backs so you'll need all four of Clyne, Walker, Bertrand & Rose. Dier is the 4th option for centre back and a 5th choice option could see Bertrand who has played well for Saints as the left sided centre back in a three-man defence.

Love the idea of dropping Drinkwater and a FB from the squad :lol: Sure we'd get a long way with Milner playing defensive mid and Stones at right back.

Rashford, Delph and either Wilshere or Henderson should be the ones dropped imo.

Pretty much the standard squad everyone could guess with Delph/Townsend/Rashford being the extra on top.

Glad to see Woy is going to go diamond in midfield based on the squad (hopefully).

Wouldn't have taken Townsend previously, but we do need that difference player in the squad to go with width so reckon he'll make final squad. As a result I could see one of Hendo/Wilshere not going based on fitness. Need both full backs to go because of the emphasis on the width they provide so will be crucial to be able to change them up to keep things fresh.

That is rubbish.

Rather than give that response, at least a give a constructive reply. I think he is the only one capable of maybe coming of the bench and doing something spectacular. As seen with Newcastle and some of his goal. I don't think the majority of other England players have that ability. Barkley to a little extent but Townsend albeit inconsistently comes up with the odd magic. I think you need a player like that.

I must be the only one who would rather take Walcott than Townsend regardless of recent form.

Basing on the squad, Delph and Rashford will be cut, then one of Wilshere, Henderson, and Drinkwater will go home too.

I doubt any of the 7 defenders will be cut, it'll likely be 2 of the 11 midfielders (injury doubts still over Henderson/Wilshere) and Rashford that don't make it.

Hodgson plays a system which requires attacking fullbacks; neither Dier or Stones are suited to play as attacking right backs so you'll need all four of Clyne, Walker, Bertrand & Rose. Dier is the 4th option for centre back and a 5th choice option could see Bertrand who has played well for Saints as the left sided centre back in a three-man defence.

Yeah, if he's planning to play the diamond midfield then taking four full backs makes sense. If he's playing 4-2-3-1 though then I don't think it's needed. Would like to see the diamond though, I think that suits our best 11 better. Dier holding, Alli & Wilshere either side, Rooney number 10 with Kane partnering either Sturridge or Vardy.

To further my point about Townsend being a game changer. Look at when we played Newcastle and beat them 5-1. We destroyed them all over the park, however he was their only bright spark and managed to get Newcastle a consolation with a moment of magic. Similarly, when they played Southampton and lost 3-1 IIRC, did he not score another individual brilliant goal?

Newcastle 1-0 Palace. Townsend comes up with a moment of magic with an excellent free kick that decides the game. When Newcastle beat WBA on his debut I remember people saying how breathtaking he was and WBA could not handle him but anyway three games in which his individual brilliance has helped Newcastle and you have to think if they had a better defence those games, they may have picked up points and he only joined what, end of January?

If England are deadlocked or trailing he is one player who can come up with something magical, whether that be a long shot, free kick or creating something out of nothing. No other England player has that ability. Not saying he is better than them, but he offers something different and is a game changer. If England have a good defence, he could make a massive contribution in getting England out of the group if he plays imo.

The trouble with Townsend from what I've seen of him is that his moments of magic only come once every ten games. For that one absolutely world class goal from 35 yards, there's about 30 wasted long shots that don't even hit the target.

Well that's complete rubbish. He's been excellent since Jan/Feb.

Interesting that Rooney has supposedly said he wants an holding role. It'd definitely be worth seeing what he's like in one of the friendlies in DM/CM.

that's because he realises he doesn't stand a chance getting played up top

Why drop Drinkwater? He should be in this squad regardless, had a brilliant season and is bang in form.

Henderson, Rashford, Delph for me personally to be dropped.

There's no chance he drops a fit Henderson and keeps Drinkwater. Woy clearly cares about trying to maintain players who he's worked with in qualifying. Perhaps if Henderson didn't recover from his injury in time it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Who was it that came on against Italy and produced a bit of magic to get us the draw? Ahhh yeah, Townsend.

Name something of note Sterling has done in an England shirt please.

England's best player at the last World Cup

There's no chance he drops a fit Henderson and keeps Drinkwater. Woy clearly cares about trying to maintain players who he's worked with in qualifying. Perhaps if Henderson didn't recover from his injury in time it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

True, this is Woy after all. Shudder at the thought of a half fit Henderson plodding around. Wilshere I can fully understand because he is on another level on his day, but Henderson wouldn't be missed and Drinkwater's form over this season has been nothing short of brilliant.

We've been exposed time and again at tournaments by having no proper DM. Think it's mad that we may go again with the one DM

Would be madness to drop Drinkwater for an unfit Henderson when the former has been instrumental in a title win, and the latter's virtues as a footballer begin and end with "covers a lot of ground when fit" (and I quite like Henderson). I can just about understand the argument for Wilshere, but hyping the unfit player up like he's the lovechild of Xavi and Pirlo come to save the team rather than a moderately talented player who's never achieved anything even on the increasingly rare occasions he looks fit enough to be a Premiership footballer is usually where England's confidence and decision making starts to unravel.

Leftfield suggestion based on the comments about the merits and weaknesses of having additional fullbacks as cover in the squad: Michail Antonio. Looks surprisingly comfortable at fullback, is a goal threat on the wing and has had a very good season overall. Not someone you'd expect to be first choice, but might have been worth the experiment for his versatility.

Would be madness to drop Drinkwater for an unfit Henderson when the former has been instrumental in a title win, and the latter's virtues as a footballer begin and end with "covers a lot of ground when fit" (and I quite like Henderson). I can just about understand the argument for Wilshere, but hyping the unfit player up like he's the lovechild of Xavi and Pirlo come to save the team rather than a moderately talented player who's never achieved anything even on the increasingly rare occasions he looks fit enough to be a Premiership footballer is usually where England's confidence and decision making starts to unravel.

Leftfield suggestion based on the comments about the merits and weaknesses of having additional fullbacks as cover in the squad: Michail Antonio. Looks surprisingly comfortable at fullback, is a goal threat on the wing and has had a very good season overall. Not someone you'd expect to be first choice, but might have been worth the experiment for his versatility.

Given that he wouldn't play the holding role anyway, I'd rather play Lallana over Wilshere.

People not picking rooney in their starting xi :lol:

I agree 100% with it but Roy isn't going to drop captain fantastic is he. We may as well build our starting xi's around him because that's what Roy is doing.

I would have taken Defoe and Welbeck (is Welbeck fit?) instead of Sturridge and Lallana.

People not picking rooney in their starting xi :lol:

I agree 100% with it but Roy isn't going to drop captain fantastic is he. We may as well build our starting xi's around him because that's what Roy is doing.

I would have taken Defoe and Welbeck (is Welbeck fit?) instead of Sturridge and Lallana.

Welbeck's out for 9 months.

Don't get why people seem baffled by Townsend's inclusion and I don't even like the guy. He's been in good form, offers something different to (what you'd expect to be) the starting 11, and there aren't exactly many English wingers excelling atm. No issue with him being a squad member.

Archived