What do you prefer? The World Cup or the Euros?

Baptista_8

Which do you prefer?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• World Cup
    • Euros
    • Love both

That's a great question, actually.

Probably prefer the Euros for actual football because I feel the quality of teams is better thus the matches are better (16 great-good European teams as opposed to 13 great-good European teams, a bunch of crappy might as well not exist other teams, some heavyweights like Brazil etc and a few good sides like the Africans and Mexico/USA etc).

However the spirit of the World Cup, the atmosphere and the hype surrounding it is unparalleled and I love it.

So for actual football, the spectacle of it, I prefer the Euros I think. But for everything that goes with the football, the atmosphere etc, then the World Cup.

So I voted Love Both.

World Cup all day every day, especially more so giving what the new Euro format will be like. Even the inital qualification for the World Cup is quite exciting with only one gurantee space in each group so every chance a big side could miss out (Almost Portugal/France this time). The variety of different footballing styles and cultures also seem better to me at a World Cup then at the Euros. Plus World Cup draws out the jealous/bitter Brits (Wales/Scotland) more so then the Euros.

I am so jealous of England's World Cup campaign :(

I do prefer the World Cup though, think it's just a bigger spectacle overall and there's so many players I get to watch that I'd never seen or possibly even heard of before. I still make a big effort to watch the Euros but the World Cup is better.

World Cup all day every day, especially more so giving what the new Euro format will be like. Even the inital qualification for the World Cup is quite exciting with only one gurantee space in each group so every chance a big side could miss out (Almost Portugal/France this time). The variety of different footballing styles and cultures also seem better to me at a World Cup then at the Euros. Plus World Cup draws out the jealous/bitter Brits (Wales/Scotland) more so then the Euros.

Portugal did miss out and France weren't even close to it? :confused:

Maybe a more appropriate wording would be "every chance a big side could miss out (like miserable England)" :thup:

World Cup because of the size of the event and the chance to see sides like Chile/Colombia I'd likely never watch otherwise, even more so now the quality of the Euros will drop and the likes of Austria/Israel/Wales could actually qualify and embarrass themselves.

Oh right, talking of the qualifying phase (just re-read his post and duhhh).

France almost missing out had nothing to do with the groups qualifying method, it was because France had been through a horrible spell since the previous WC and were lowly ranked, meaning they got paired with Spain. Ordinarily that sort of thing never happens, so it's not really a valid reason for saying the WC is better imo.

I think this year proves that overall quality of WC is better then Euro by far.

I don't think it's possible to draw trends from these tournaments. 2002 was a joke, for example. Doesn't prove anything really.

Strongly prefer the World Cup, since it gives me the opportunity to see teams I really know fairly little about, such as Costa Rica, Iran and Algeria this year. I don't really get that at the Euros, as most European teams are rather familiar. Still love 'em both though.

Euro is limited to a region where some teams play very similar football (not all of them, obviously), and ends up excluding other traditional football schools.

Also, in the European context you have "strong" teams like Portugal and England, but when you take it to the size of a World Cup, you realize how weak they are and that any African or smaller National teams of America (not necessarily South America) are as good or better then "strong" European teams.

Scotland will still fail to qualify.

World Cup, more prstigious. Dont really rate the continential tournaments too highly really, I know we take it quite seriously in Europe but I'm pretty sure in the Americas they sometimes put out a reserve team for Copa America and Gold Cup.

Scotland will still fail to qualify.

World Cup, more prstigious. Dont really rate the continential tournaments too highly really, I know we take it quite seriously in Europe but I'm pretty sure in the Americas they sometimes put out a reserve team for Copa America and Gold Cup.

Yes, in some editions of Copa América there were more reserve teams than first ones playing the competition.

The Copa América timing is too bad, just a year after the World Cup, when teams are revamping their squads.

Copa América is also a bit obsolete as the World Cup Qualifiers are played by all 10 South American teams in a league format.

The World cup because well, it is the world cup. The biggest sporting event in football/ the world

Euros are excellent but the 24 sides in 2016 and Euro 2020 being staged in various countries have slightly killed it for me. Some very weird decisions about the Euros lately. :(

The Euros might have less crap matches but don't compare in terms of intangible feeling, also how would this tournament have felt without Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Algeria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico? I can happily live with a few crap matches in exchange for healthy diversity of playing styles.

Likewise the Champions league might have much better, higher level football, but it's not the total insane month long football party that the World Cup is. It just doesn't compare to anything else to me.

The fact there are so many games in a short time is something that I don't like, the World Cup has too often too much of a party-feeling while Libertadores/Champions League feel more serious.

The quality of Champions League games is much higher than the quality of World Cup games too, nowadays.

I think international football in general is largely obsolete.

The fact there are so many games in a short time is something that I don't like, the World Cup has too often too much of a party-feeling while Libertadores/Champions League feel more serious.

The quality of Champions League games is much higher than the quality of World Cup games too, nowadays.

I think international football in general is largely obsolete.

Er obsolete? no matter how I interpret the word obsolete, what you think of international football is laughably wrong

Er obsolete? no matter how I interpret the word obsolete, what you think of international football is laughably wrong

The purpose of international football was to have the best playing against the best but nowadays this is already happening in a regular basis in competitions like the Champions League.

Football is much more globalized too, in the past the World Cup and international football were the best place to have different styles clash, nowadays most teams play to some extent in similar or at least familiar ways.

The World Cup doesn't offer anything new as pretty much all the top players are already well known everywhere, it's not like Brazilians could learn about an exciting new German player or vice-versa.

The money is also in club football and international football is pretty much a distraction that only risk injuries.

Name and shame the one that voted for the Euros.

What? Why? Euros is great. YOu are just still in World Cup euphoria mode. It'll wear off.

I prefere the Euro's because 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 have all been more entertaining then the World Cups. Though the World Cup has the prestige which makes it a more important competition, but the Euro's inevitable end up being more entertaining and better quality.

Don't much like the Euros. The same teams every single year, more or less. At least with the World Cup there will be a surprise minnow somewhere, and much more variety in terms of style of play and of course where the teams are from (duh). Most people won't know everything about all the teams either, so there is a bit more mystique about it.

32 teams for the World Cup feels right, but 24 just for Europe is gonna be a bit crap.

I don't think a WC champion side would lose to a UCL champion team on a match.

Oh yes they would. The current Real Madrid side would be clear favourites over any of the 4 teams left in this tournament. In modern football the top clubs have got better sides than the international teams, because they can choose from a worldwide pool of talent, build a squad by buying players to cover for any shortcomings, and then gel them by training them all year which means they've got much better understanding with each other, than international sides who meet up 6 weeks at a time at best.

Germany doesn't have fullbacks - a top club side would buy a pair from any random nationality. Brazil don't have a striker - a top club side would buy one. Holland don't have defenders, etc etc.

Champions League football these days is definitely superior technically than international football, and you could make a strong argument it's also more attacking and entertaining. However, I still prefer watching the World Cup because it just means more, and the emotional attachment everyone has to the matches is far greater.

Yes, Champions League teams have both more depth and top players in all positions, I think a game like Real Madrid vs Brazil would end in a 3-0 score or so for Real Madrid.

Club teams also tactically much more advanced as they train all the time.

I voted for both but I think the Euros would edge it if I were pushed. Although both are obviously huge money making vehicles for FIFA/UEFA, the WC has a bit more marketability about it, all the merchandise, sponsorship etc takes away from it imo. The Euros doesn't have the same feel in my eyes.

However, watching all the fans get together at the WC and really enjoy themselves in some harmony is really great to see. Don't get that at the Euros so much. Fans are a bit more aggressive.

Yes, Champions League teams have both more depth and top players in all positions, I think a game like Real Madrid vs Brazil would end in a 3-0 score or so for Real Madrid.

Club teams also tactically much more advanced as they train all the time.

More likle 30-0 based on yesterday :p

Archived