Scouting for new players

Well it depends on what team you are tbh.

If you are a top team in a main division and looking for a first 11 player its generally going to cost you money and those players are already going to be fairly well known to you.

The further down you go the more options you have available to you.

In terms of scouting I send scouts to as many countries as I can afford (Currently UK & Ireland so each of the five gets scouted once a season). Any player found with more than 2* potential I add to the shortlist and when I need a player I consult the shortlist and scout those I'm interested in further.

My scouts do a decent job of it on their own. Of course, I have 17 of them so that makes things easier. So, if I am looking for someone to fill a particular role, there are usually a few possible candidates.

One trick that I love to use is to get real busy on the first day of the January transfer window. This is like my Christmas, Birthday, Easter, and July 4th rolled into one. I'll go to player search set it to display only players whose contracts are expiring in six months. I then order the list by value and look for players who have a high value for the league they are playing in. These players are likely candidates to be good and looking to move up to a higher league. I'll get individual scouting reports on them. I can then offer contracts to those players whose scouting reports come back with what I'm looking for. That'll make them mine for the next year. If I really need one of them right away, their current club is usually willing to negotiate a very cheap transfer fee once the player is under contract with me.

I tend to play as big clubs so I have a lot if scouts and tend to put a big emphasise that more so with further investment and expansion. I then use those scouts to primarily expand my scouting knowledge and scout the youth leagues of larger nations. I then use the attribute filters to find players I want with that expanded knowledge.

Like sosasoser I also use the trick of checking for expiring contracts on january first as its normally a very good way to pick up new players at very low cost, even for the biggest of clubs. I also take a brief look at the same thing in August if I have the Brazilian leagues loaded.

I'm using scouts. And to make it easier to check through what they find, I sort players on the Search List according to potential ability. There I've made a new View that includes estimation of wage and fee (min & max), plus personality. From time to time I check if there are any nice targets whose contract expire soon, or if I can pick up any promising youths for free or a low fee.

Archived