National management: Ability vs. recent play

Okay, so I was offered the Spain job after Del Bosque got 4th in a group that consisted of France, Nigeria and Mexico (I recently got 3rd as Mallorca). Now, my first match is a friendly with Argentina and I have the ability to call up some different players.

There's a former Barca player who left because he was poor (Sergi Roberto) but after he left for Leverkusen he's been great, got 7.05 and 7.08 in the following seasons. His replacement was technically better, but he was getting 6.75 or something playing for Sociedad. I called him up and the press got angry at me because that's what they do but what would you do?

I'd give him Roberto a go, is he the one you called up?? (ignore the press!). Especially if he fits in with regards your tactics of how you want Spain to play.

The current Spain squad sound like they need a shake up if they finished 4th and I'm assuming you have nearly 2 years of qualifying to come before the next major tournament. I'm big on in-form players, and morale players.

When a player is in very good form, it's usually worth sacrificing the little extra ability the other player may have.

With Spain you obviously have an embarrassment of riches to choose from, so there are bound to be some close calls. When in doubt, go with the in form player.

Form always takes priority, but that's international form as well as club form. Also, it has to be within reason, and it depends on how big your pool is, and where they're playing. But in very short: pick form.

I've always done a bit of both. If I see a player who, on paper, is not usually part of the argument (be it attributes etc.) but is performing exceptionally, I keep an eye on his performances. If he keeps it up I'll definitely consider him. And if it's a friendly, I play whoever I feel like.

1) Always, always, always ignore the press.

2) Pick whoever you want - but form usually trumps ability.

or

3) Try and build the best team, rather than a collection of the best players. Not sure how well this is modelled in FM, but we've seen at the WC that better units are trumping talent. If you have players that fit into your style of play that aren't the best, sometimes it's better to go with them

Archived